IGNORED

Sierra 4: She Speaks More Spanish than the Vuolos and Dillards

HerNameIsBuffy

13 hours ago, Marissap said:

She was one of the early adopters of the “blue lives matter” movement after Black Lives Matter started. That says all we need to know about where she stands. 

People change. I have changed in my life, and I hope you have as well.  My heart and ears are open to listening to people as they work through those changes.

Sierra is a human being, not a cartoon character. That said, I find it so sad that she's drowning her potential in some sort of frantic race to be a Instagram Pinterest Christian Supermommy. I don't think having a billion kids is about Sierra's faith or birthing arrows for God anymore. 

Either Mark is pushing her to have more kids, or she's just pushing herself to stay in the Supermommy race. And she keeps racing because she's terrified of what will happen if she slows down,

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

18 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

I am so glad that my years growing up were not recorded on social media of any kind. My views have changed dramatically over the years and continue to evolve.  Perhaps Sierra is finding her way.

While I certainly hope that is the case as well she hasn’t really shown that it’s a cause she’s focused on or cares about until prompted by her followers.  But yes, I do hope that she does care about black lives and ending systemic racism in this country. Typically she over shares Her involvement in things like this (hence why we knew about her dedication to “blue lives matter”) and I’m skeptical that Black Lives Matter is one cause she has neglected to share her involvement/activism in. As an “influencer” I’d hope she’s sharing how she’s teaching her children to be tolerant and acknowledge their privilege rather than just by saying she has black family members so by default she cares. But maybe I expect too much. 

• Upvote 8

A lot of early supporters of blue lives matter and all lives matter are showing evolving viewpoints and more awareness of the problem. It's not perfect but it's progress. It doesn't mean that what they said wasn't harmful but it doesn't mean that they can't do better. 

One of the things I'm trying to wrap my head around is that a person can be a part of the problem and say and do harmful things but not be a bad person and not have bad intentions. I think a lot of us fit into that category because like it or not if we're benefiting from a broken system based on oppression we are still a part of the problem. Benefitting from my whiteness doesn't make me a bad person but it makes me a part of the problem. It's what you do with what you have. Are you trying to educate yourself? To elevate minority voices? Do you see yourself as part of the problem? 

I don't know Sierra's answers to any of these I also don't closely follow her feed and her post about her nieces was the typical "I have a black friend I can't be racist!" Harmful white savior crap that is quickly being recognized for what it is. But it's also the typical drivel of someone who is probably not a bad person who has the best of intentions but doesn't fully see how they are a part of the problem. The good thing is that type of person can be educated. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I'm not defending Sierra, but I do have a bit of perspective, since my extended family is Southern and comes in all sorts of flavors and colors, as we like to say.

I think that not everyone on FJ understands the ramifications of being in a mixed race family, even in 2020.  There are a LOT of people, regardless of educational level and income, who don't really approve of mixed race relationships. Or mixed religion relationships. Or us offspring of those relationships.

And those people don't always consider themselves racist. Often its more like "I'm so disappointed that you are rejecting our family's heritage/race/religion by choosing him or her."

But--there are also strangers who will stare. And say things under their breath. Or out loud. Yes, right now, in 2020. And not just in the small-town South. And not just in the United States, either.

• Upvote 19
  • Love 7

She’s been too quiet for days. Looking forward to a post soon about how enlightened she is now.

• Upvote 4

I hope folks can explain Sierra's "bible time while reading" strategy to me. I can't understand why you would play audiotapes of one book (the Bible) while the kids are supposed to be reading other books. Yes, I can read while listening to music. But I can't fathom reading a book and listening to another at the same time.  I guess the kids are just supposed to subconciously absorb the Bible verses?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I hope folks can explain Sierra's "bible time while reading" strategy to me. I can't understand why you would play audiotapes of one book (the Bible) while the kids are supposed to be reading other books. Yes, I can read while listening to music. But I can't fathom reading a book and listening to another at the same time.  I guess the kids are just supposed to subconciously absorb the Bible verses?

It may be more Bible/quiet time for Sierra. I support her doing it if it works for her family. She could use some time to relax.

• Upvote 16

I mean, I think it's weird she plays the Bible in the background, but I can't say this is a totally horrible idea. She gets some quiet time, the kids practice their reading skills; it's a win-win.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

I think it is actually better that she doesn't make her kids listen to the bible with her but instead can read their own books.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

It look like she started this when the oldest was really little. I’m going to guess at this point the kids are champions at tuna that out when they want to and it’s just background noise.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

I’m going to guess at this point the kids are champions at tuna that out when they want to and it’s just background noise.

Tuning out extraneous noises while concentrating on other stuff is a pretty nifty skill to develop. This may be the biggest benefit of this activity for her kids.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, clueliss said:

kids are champions at tuna......

I know this is just a typo and I know what you mean, but this is fun!  I want to be a champion at Tuna!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, catlady said:

I know this is just a typo and I know what you mean, but this is fun!  I want to be a champion at Tuna!!

Well, as a catlady (or both cat and lady?!), your sentiment is to be expected ?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, catlady said:

For some reason this album popped into my head. You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish.  

I'm feeling every one of my nearly 50 years today.  ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

Sierra’s thread feels like the right place to post this Babylon Bee satire piece:

https://babylonbee.com/news/essential-oils-for-men-now-available?utm_content=buffer82c63&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Forgot to use the link tool
  • Haha 5

On 6/11/2020 at 8:05 PM, Grace said:

Somebody asked her to just say "Black Lives Matter" and she literally could not do it without the "BUT..."

That’s disgusting! Whenever these fundies could publicly show  that they do indeed have some meals and values, they disappoint. It’s as if they actually wanted to show everyone just how selfish and devoid of any empathy they are. 

On a similar note: I just had to unfollow someone I had been subscribed to on Instagram for years because she follows and agrees with Candace Owens. That’s something I wouldn’t have expected TBH and at times, you just gotta draw a line. 

• Upvote 7

Sierra's son Khai landed in the hospital with heat stroke. And of course there is a lengthy rambling post on Instagram.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 12

I've had heat stroke, and it is/was WAY more complicated to treat a bag than a bag of IV fluids, I was in the hospital for 5 days, i was older than Khai, but not much I was like 18. Sounds like he had heat exhaustion, which sucks balls as well & has many of the same symptoms, only your body temp is much much lower, I get that frequently now because i have no tolerance for heat.  Either way this woman is an idiot.

• Upvote 14

If Khai has anhidrosis/hypohidrosis, if doesn't have anything to do with how pale he is...

And if she knows he has anhidrosis, why isn't she watching him more closely when he's outside. Since, ya know, he's at a greater risk for heat exhaustion/heatstroke??? Shit happens with kids, I get it. But I'm really not willing to give these parents with more kids than they can handle the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

I got heat exhaustion in the middle of the freaking jungle on a trip to Madagascar last year (there was rock climbing involved).  It was NO JOKE and I got very lucky it didn't become more serious.   Poor Khai - I don't blame her for freaking out, it must have been really scary.

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

If Khai has anhidrosis/hypohidrosis, if doesn't have anything to do with how pale he is...

And if she knows he has anhidrosis, why isn't she watching him more closely when he's outside. Since, ya know, he's at a greater risk for heat exhaustion/heatstroke??? Shit happens with kids, I get it. But I'm really not willing to give these parents with more kids than they can handle the benefit of the doubt. 

Exactly. If a person doesn’t sweat, that’s serious. We sweat to cool ourselves down and if you can’t do that, you will overheat! I can’t believe she knew he was like this and didn’t take any extra precautions with him. Poor child. 

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

! I can’t believe she knew he was like this and didn’t take any extra precautions with him. Poor child. 

To be fair, she did say they took frequent breaks and were drinking lots of water. I don’t have experience with this; what else can she do? Not let him go outside when it’s warm out? 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

To be fair, she did say they took frequent breaks and were drinking lots of water. I don’t have experience with this; what else can she do? Not let him go outside when it’s warm out? 

If it’s hot he probably should stay in the shade or spray himself with water. It sounded like she was treating him like the other children. Which she shouldn’t be doing since he seems to be the only one with the issue.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic