Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HerNameIsBuffy

Sierra 4: She speaks more Spanish than the Vuolos and Dillards

Recommended Posts

WiseGirl

I watched the I Love Lucy episode with the pressure cooker...I was gifted an Instapot. Someone talk me out of the irrational and to just start using it.

Many adopters don't even know about littermate syndrome. Perhaps more experienced owners are better with it. I had to help rehome a pair of siblings and fortunately a rescue helped because while they were young their owners were just not calable of training them due to their human issues. However, they were so cute but really giant pit mix, I don't know how to explain to you that you are not a lap dog. Yes, if I didn't have two of my own pretty sure I would have taken one of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AussieKrissy
57 minutes ago, ophelia said:

May birthdays is on saturday... unfortunately I already "used" all my wishes. Mostly for kitchen gadgets. I'm such a (almost) thirtytwo year old grandma 🙂

Happy birthday to you young grandma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FiveAcres
3 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I watched the I Love Lucy episode with the pressure cooker...I was gifted an Instapot. Someone talk me out of the irrational and to just start using it.

Many adopters don't even know about littermate syndrome. Perhaps more experienced owners are better with it. I had to help rehome a pair of siblings and fortunately a rescue helped because while they were young their owners were just not calable of training them due to their human issues. However, they were so cute but really giant pit mix, I don't know how to explain to you that you are not a lap dog. Yes, if I didn't have two of my own pretty sure I would have taken one of them.  

 I remember when I had to explain to my four month old red Doberman Pinscher that he was getting too big to be a lap dog. He was crushed. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HereticHick

Having grown up with a depressed, anxious mother with very volatile emotions, I feel for Sierra's kids so much. From her Instagram posts, she appears to burst into tears over her kids EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

That is a hard psychic burden to bear.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
princessmahina

Has there been discussion on Sierra being adopted? I don’t remember hearing about this before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LegHumperBibleThumper
On 9/9/2020 at 6:50 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I love my instant pot. I use it several times a week. Soft boiled eggs, 3 minutes then quick release. Perfect. Steel cut oats, 3 minutes, natural release, and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat it. No stirring or burning. It's not really instant, since it takes time to come up to pressure, and it seems to be idiot proof. 

Soft boiled eggs are my fav in the IP! And they peel soooo easily

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dominionatrix
4 hours ago, princessmahina said:

Has there been discussion on Sierra being adopted? I don’t remember hearing about this before. 

In the comments she says that she is what a commenter calls “half adopted”: her (step)father adopted her after marrying her bio mom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nothing if not critical

Sierra just posted two texts written by her 10-year-old, and people in the comments are falling over themselves to congratulate her on the great job she did homeschooling him (not all of them, to be fair).

Spoiler

34A7CD7C-4DA1-4E6C-92C7-87435604CC86.jpeg684AAB30-F904-4483-B764-007592BEB564.thumb.jpeg.8641c478cf9b8edbe3b58e7798cf8580.jpeg


I honestly don't want to be mean or snobbish, but my younger kiddo (who's 11 and has English as her second language) could do a better job as far as grammar, spelling and composition go. And my 14-year-old took one look at it and pointed out that Sierra's corrections were wrong (capitalisation of 'dad', commas).

I really don't mean to brag - my kids are doing okay in English, but they are by no means geniuses. They do attend an evil public school, though...

 

Edited by Nothing if not critical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
candygirl200413

@Nothing if not critical Because the bar is so damn low I was like wow at least the sentences (despite grammar) make a lot more sense compared to other fundies homeschooling. Karissa Collins eldest I think is 10 and her writing was SO sad for her age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mpheels

That is appalling for a presumably neurotypical 10 year old. I turned 10 half way through 5th grade (I was always the youngest kid in class). I could write a full book report in fifth grade and in sixth grade I was typing full essays, including a report on the Challenger space shuttle explosion and Richard Feynman. That writing is what I would expect from a second or third grader, especially the syntax.  That looks like a double wide ruled paper. At age 10, I was getting annoyed with wide ruled paper and wanted to use college ruled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Audrey2

I have graded enough quarterly writing assessments that I would say that is what I would expect a second grader to write, probably about the middle of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bluebirdbluebell

Part of the problem is that paper doesn't allow for a huge essay. I was in the 4th/5th grade at 10 and we were doing more complex assignments. Most reports would be handed in typed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Wolf

In 4th grade, Grand Wolf 1 wrote a story about whales in captivity from the point of view of the whale. He used compound sentences and correct grammar. Of course, he went to ebil public school.

  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
medimus

I would have said first or second grader for that. It is partly the grammar, partly the very short sentences and partly the handwriting (in pencil) on that specially divided line paper which is still larger than normal handwriting size. Some children are of course slower than others at writing, at controlling the pencil etc. The incorrect corrections (and not correcting of some mistakes) is worse though.

Here is a 1st grade sample from where I grew up. I know it is first grade because it is on a 1st grade class blog and also because there are no capital letters (we aren't taught to write those until 2nd grade).  image.png.a54efceb03afe8457610dc35cc055914.pngThese are new year's letters so written in your best handwriting to give/read to your family.Another, slightly wobblier handwriting :)

image.thumb.png.d87c09974a5ba8dd6a05de3183be9ab3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nothing if not critical

Yes, I noticed the short sentences and the super simple sentence structure as well. As I said, my kids are learning English as a second language, but I'm sure if they handed in anything like this, they would be told to a) write more, b) vary their sentence structure, and c) give concrete examples for the "character qualities" instead of making blanket statements. 

Agree the "corrections" are the worst part, though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daisy0322

It’s not impressive by any means but not all kids are great at English. I did some student teaching at an inner city school and this was typical for their middle schoolers. Much like cult children those kiddos had much bigger issues at hand than learning. Such as gang involvement, where their next meal was coming from, it wasn’t surprising to see pregnant girls as young as 5th grade, their parents issues, taking care of siblings, etc. On the other hand I went to excellent schools, but I’m dyslexic so y’all would probably not be real impressed by my writing either 😂. I prefer biology anyway. Moral of the story being- I don’t find it appalling but, I wouldn’t say it’s impressive or even good either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baldricks_turnip
3 hours ago, medimus said:

 

Here is a 1st grade sample from where I grew up. I know it is first grade because it is on a 1st grade class blog and also because there are no capital letters (we aren't taught to write those until 2nd grade).  

Wow!
I'm a teacher in Australia teaching prep- grade 2 (prep being the first year of primary school, with most students turning five in that year). Sierra's son's work would be a pretty weak sample for a grade 4 student, I would place it at about grade 2 standard.

The handwriting of the samples medimus shared would be spectacular for a prep or grade one student in Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
allthegoodnamesrgone

Here is a sample of my nephew's (he will be 10 next month) latest essay from school, for direct comparison. 

I love this kid, his sense of the world & his imagination are AMAZING. 

ETA, this child is exceptionally bright and is reading at a 7th grade level (he's in 4th grade) so maybe not the BEST comparison but his sentence structure is much more complex if not his understanding of science fiction. 

writing.jpg

Edited by allthegoodnamesrgone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FiveAcres
59 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Here is a sample of my nephew's (he will be 10 next month) latest essay from school, for direct comparison. 

I love this kid, his sense of the world & his imagination are AMAZING. 

ETA, this child is exceptionally bright and is reading at a 7th grade level (he's in 4th grade) so maybe not the BEST comparison but his sentence structure is much more complex if not his understanding of science fiction. 

writing.jpg

I love how he thinks of some of the consequences of his superpower.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OldFadedStar

So Sierra reorganized her kids rooms... I think the 3 older boys share a room, the two girls share and room and then the two youngest boys share a room. 
 

her two year old isn’t in a crib anymore which isn’t an issue but she has this giant bookshelf with all the homeschooling supplies on it. I see a disaster coming. I really hope that’s anchored to the wall...

ignore the spoiler. I tried to put the picture in that and failed and now can’t remove it 

Spoiler

 

04E330A3-A95A-4A2E-9317-C0157DAF6B8F.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nothing if not critical
4 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

I really hope that’s anchored to the wall...

Isn't her husband working for a furniture company or something? I would hope that he knows that those things need to be secured...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
medimus
3 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

Wow!
I'm a teacher in Australia teaching prep- grade 2 (prep being the first year of primary school, with most students turning five in that year). Sierra's son's work would be a pretty weak sample for a grade 4 student, I would place it at about grade 2 standard.

The handwriting of the samples medimus shared would be spectacular for a prep or grade one student in Australia.

Am I right in thinking your prep/grade 1s are 4-5 years old? Or am I mixing that up with the UK? So they would be younger. But Belgium does place a considerable emphasis on handwriting: only cursive, pencil for first term, then fountain pen only and basically all you learn in first grade is reading, writing (as I said, no capitals, only small letters) and mental maths up to number 20. Plus a smattering of religion, history, geography, science etc, but massive emphasis on the three Rs. Standard workbook example here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
clueliss

I suspect she’s been Netflixing Get Organized and got inspired.  Only this time she didn’t scream what she’d been watching unlike the Marie Kondo inspired toy purge.

Also, it sounded like they had Asher sharing with Brooks until moving all three older boys into one room.  They moved the two girls from a small room to a larger room due to closet space needs.  Brooks will now be sharing with Merrick who will sleep in a (wait for it) pack and play until he’s older then Brooks will move to the upper bunk which currently doesn’t have a mattres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baldricks_turnip
6 hours ago, medimus said:

Am I right in thinking your prep/grade 1s are 4-5 years old? Or am I mixing that up with the UK? So they would be younger. But Belgium does place a considerable emphasis on handwriting: only cursive, pencil for first term, then fountain pen only and basically all you learn in first grade is reading, writing (as I said, no capitals, only small letters) and mental maths up to number 20. Plus a smattering of religion, history, geography, science etc, but massive emphasis on the three Rs. Standard workbook example here

 I don't know why I typed most turn 5 in prep, that's not true.  Most turn 6.
Our schooling is as follows;
Kindergarten: The year they turn 5 (generally). This is all about play and socialisation. I believe Americans call this Pre-K?
Prep: Our school year runs from Jan - Dec and they must turn 5 by the end of April to enter prep. So students start at age 4 or 5, but the majority turn 6 in prep. This year focuses on the foundation skills of reading, writing and mathematics. Handwriting is taught but in a print script. I believe Americans call this kindergarten?
Grade 1: Most turn 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grace

She did more pottery practice time. I think a STAHM has every right to have a hobby and it's great that she's making room for it...but holy budget buster! She's spending a whole lot of time and money on this! Obviously I expect she will likely lose interest in this pretty soon like she seems to do but in the meantime.... who's got the kids? Are they paying a sitter? How much does the wheel time and clay cost? And they just bought a power washer AND air compressor?  I guess Mark is selling a lot of couches lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.