IGNORED

Sierra 4: She Speaks More Spanish than the Vuolos and Dillards

HerNameIsBuffy

The first thing I thought when I saw those puppies was “what the fuck is a Morkiepoo??” It’s apparently a cross between a Morkie and a Miniature Poodle... and a Morkie is a cross between a Maltese and a Yorkshire Terrier.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

17 hours ago, neurogirl said:

She's the light of my life fur baby but she IS anxious with a sensitive tummy and in the future when I am busy with a family I will want a dog that requires a little less constant attention. 

Once she settles and feels secure hopefully the velcro will disappear or taper off. If she was surrendered or worse dumped she will be anxious. Rescues can be very insecure. By the time you start your family she should be fine.  Pumpkin and white rice can help but check with your vet.

She is a cutie.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 8/25/2020 at 7:33 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Yes, when we adopted our Coop from the local no-kill shelter, we had to promise to keep him inside.  Fine with us, we were intending to keep him inside anyway. They almost rejected us due to one of our other answers on the adoption form, but we discussed it and everything was fine. 

But not adopting to families with younger children as a rule is ridiculous. That’s why you have a meet and greet to see if the animal is a good fit for your family. The shelter saw our kids were gentle with animals so we were cleared to adopt. 

This. When my son wanted a new dog, he researched for a long time and came up with a King Corso (sp?) mastiff for a lot of reasons. The rescue place was near his home but turned out to be just the office, dogs were in fairly nearby Pa. But then they decided that none of their available puppies should be with small children, so they had to go to Massachusetts to get the right dog. The people did come and look at the yard, fences, etc. (needed a new lock on the fence to the back), met the kids, etc. So off they went to Massachusetts and brought home Reggie the wonderful dog. The whole process seemed reasonable to everyone. But if not going to Massachusetts from NJ to pick up a dog is available for everyone (like me probably) it's better IMO that they didn't allow a dog that they thought was too aggressive to be around small kids into a home with small kids. They would have had to rethink.

That said, the thought of anybody, much less Sierra, becoming a backyard breeder with no background, no knowledge, no...anything that I can think of, is scary as shit to me. 

Edited by patsymae
correction
  • Upvote 1

On 8/26/2020 at 1:23 PM, AussieKrissy said:

we call it flat out desexing in heathen australia 

I assume that neutring and spaying is the names of the operations for each sex... Every time I hear it on american shows or adds I mean to google.

I'm Australian :) Neuter is gender neutral. 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

Vets here UK, won't spay/neuter before 4 months old. That is the absolute minimum age

Thankfully there are vets in the UK who are up on modern procedures and do neuter before 4 months. Age has nothing to do with the weight requirement for aesthetic. 

• Upvote 2

Our city shelter / state is overflowing with homeless animals.  If you want a kitten or some flavor of pittie mix,  we have any color you could want.  When Covid hit, all that was required to foster was to show up and give them your driver’s license.  (We... proceeded to adopt our foster. Lol) 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

Sierra is a bit of a mystery to me.

She posts videos of her cooking and her kids are hollering and crying in the background and she is totally unfazed. I get so stressed out when my kids pitch a fit. She vibrated a glass pot lid from her favorite pots and pans off the counter top and it shattered all over the floor and she was clearly annoyed but not upset about it. I think I might have cried about that one. But then she talks about crying about stuff that seem like totally normal life things to me. I guess we just have COMPLETELY different temperaments. Ha.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Grace said:

But then she talks about crying about stuff that seem like totally normal life things to me. I guess we just have COMPLETELY different temperaments. Ha.

My guess is that she tries to hold it together for most of the day but eventually, she has internalized so much stress that very little can set her off. So it only takes a straw to break the camel’s back in the end. 

Also, crying about something insignificant might feel better cause she cannot change her big family lifestyle from one day to another so she’s stuck now anyway and doesn’t have to acknowledge it this way. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

19 hours ago, Lotsofdots said:

Thankfully there are vets in the UK who are up on modern procedures and do neuter before 4 months. Age has nothing to do with the weight requirement for aesthetic. 

This is not the reason most vets won't do the procedure before 4 months of age.  Rescues/shelters are different, but I counsel many owners to wait for various reasons.  Large breed dogs have fewer joint issues if they are allowed the full benefit of their hormones during growth (up to 2 years for giant breeds) and studies suggest a decrease in certain cancers as well.  I will also recommend 1-2 heat cycles for females with a recessed vulva.  I think all nonbreeding dogs should be spayed by 2 years of age for other health reasons, but pediatric spay/neuter is not completely devoid of health risks later in life and overpopulation isn't the only consideration in an owned animal if the owner appears to understand all the information I'm giving them.

Cats are their own entity and I totally have no argument against all of them being sterilized before sexual maturity.  FTR I despite mature dog spays and I was so sad to have to change my recommendations when the research came out (I think it was UC Davis that did the first study).

I'm not trying to be a crabby know-it-all because I actually love having these conversations with owners, but there isn't any one size fits all for every pet owner and it's important to discuss the options with your pet's doctors and with your family to see what's best.  Irresponsible breeding is never what's best so if people can't or won't contain their pets my recommendations obviously change accordingly.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Grace said:

She posts videos of her cooking and her kids are hollering and crying in the background and she is totally unfazed. I get so stressed out when my kids pitch a fit. She vibrated a glass pot lid from her favorite pots and pans off the counter top and it shattered all over the floor and she was clearly annoyed but not upset about it. I think I might have cried about that one. But then she talks about crying about stuff that seem like totally normal life things to me. I guess we just have COMPLETELY different temperaments. Ha.

I do have a similar temperament so I get it. I do get mad if they are deliberately not listening and being destructive but I always tell my boys if we are loving a thing more than each other then theres a problem (its usually a toy). I really do believe that and try to lead by example but everyone loses their shit occasionally and I’m sure she does too. I’d be more concerned about how she handles it after. Like if we yell at the kids we usually apologize because we don’t like being yelled at either. I think she’s just more so checked out.

• Upvote 4

On 8/28/2020 at 9:52 AM, Grace said:

I find her a mystery too. I think she is intelligent and creative and has a lot of energy and a heart in the right place, but makes a ton of stupid decisions, including popping out way more kids than she can handle. And at the risk of sounding like I support patriarchy, which I don't, I do wonder why her husband isn't helping her--or maybe he thinks is is by funding all these stupid ventures but I would think a caring husband with a brain would, kindly and in partnership, put the brakes on some of the ventures that she is clearly not capable of sustaining and help move things along in a more sensible direction.

Edited by patsymae
typo
  • Upvote 8

So I watched some clips from Sierra’s so-called “pretend cooking show” yesterday or two days ago (they were on her Insta stories for 24 hours only and are already gone now). 
My armchair diagnosis now is that Sierra struggles with anxiety. She attempted to make chicken in an instant pot and everything worked out well, she loved the chicken, the dinner looked yummy, it should have been a success. However, Sierra went on and on about how scary the instant pot seems and that she wishes there were support groups on Facebook telling you that the put won’t cause your house to explode. Sure, these comments should likely come across in a fun and entertaining way, but still... she mentioned her fear of exploding the house multiple times. Using the pot at all seemed like a difficult challenge for her and she appeared worried throughout the entire cooking segment. That’s not a good sign for a grown adult, it’s just a freaking pot. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

I swear everyone I know who has gotten an Instant Pot has been terrified to use it at first.

But then they get over it ?‍♀️

She seems to not actually understand how it works because she said if you leave the pressure seal open it will explode. Even though she said just kidding that's like the actual opposite of how one would explode. Duh. It's a PRESSURE cooker.

Edited by Grace
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

So I watched some clips from Sierra’s so-called “pretend cooking show” yesterday or two days ago (they were on her Insta stories for 24 hours only and are already gone now). 
My armchair diagnosis now is that Sierra struggles with anxiety. She attempted to make chicken in an instant pot and everything worked out well, she loved the chicken, the dinner looked yummy, it should have been a success. However, Sierra went on and on about how scary the instant pot seems and that she wishes there were support groups on Facebook telling you that the put won’t cause your house to explode. Sure, these comments should likely come across in a fun and entertaining way, but still... she mentioned her fear of exploding the house multiple times. Using the pot at all seemed like a difficult challenge for her and she appeared worried throughout the entire cooking segment. That’s not a good sign for a grown adult, it’s just a freaking pot. 

I grew up with someone using a pressure cooker, so I was aware of the issues.
But it's like people forgot about those.
And then the Instant pot came back up and then it exploded and someone was like 'Aghhh!'

If you are too scared about something, you can educate yourself, or you can choose not to use it.

The same thing can be said for her posts about the kids. She wants to be patted on the back, but she's CHOSEN to have that many kids. She constantly needs reassurances about her CHOICES that she FIGHTS for.
Nope, sorry lady. Get educated and make some good decisions that won't propel you into anxious behavior. Do things you can control. Maybe take a social media break...

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

A normal person would make the chicken without blowing the house up and then do it again for social media.

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, Grace said:

I swear everyone I know who has gotten an Instant Pot has been terrified to use it at first.

But then they get over it ?‍♀️

She seems to not actually understand how it works because she said if you leave the pressure seal open it will explode. Even though she said just kidding that's like the actual opposite of how one would explode. Duh. It's a PRESSURE cooker.

I am still dubious about ours. I grew up with too many horror stories about exploding pressure cookers. However, the safety features that the Instapot has makes it (IMO) a lot safer than the traditional pressure cookers. Even though I have learned to use ours, I am still happy that I can ask my partner to poach chicken breasts and he does so like it is no big deal. 

• Upvote 3

I was looking into Instapots the other day (so far I have a crockpot and I'm a huge fan!) but now reading about exploding pressure cookers makes me think twice. I might have to dig a little deeper. 

• I Agree 1

Instapot has done well to make these things fairly idiot proof. I was skeptical at first for the same reason, but with the pressure relief valve it is pretty easy to see when you can open the pot and I'm not sure you CAN open it when it has too much pressure,  As long as you follow direction on the recipe it will tell you how long to vent, I've cooked where I've had to vent for nearly 20 minutes before I could open the pot, just know the longer it is under pressure the longer it will have to vent. I have a friend who uses hers every day several times a day & has for the last year and has never had any issues.  

• Upvote 6

I also think they make you in the directions heat up water just to get the jist of it, of course food isn't the same as heating up water lol but it made me feel at ease because I was a little nervous using it when I got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

I've had one in my amazon cart for a while now. Every time I go to purchase it I chicken out. 

It’s fine, it’s easy, you’ll be okay, I promise.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 4

I love my instant pot. I use it several times a week. Soft boiled eggs, 3 minutes then quick release. Perfect. Steel cut oats, 3 minutes, natural release, and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat it. No stirring or burning. It's not really instant, since it takes time to come up to pressure, and it seems to be idiot proof. 

• I Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I love my instant pot. I use it several times a week. Soft boiled eggs, 3 minutes then quick release. Perfect. Steel cut oats, 3 minutes, natural release, and it will stay warm until you're ready to eat it. No stirring or burning. It's not really instant, since it takes time to come up to pressure, and it seems to be idiot proof. 

Exactly. It’s not instant, but it’s a lot faster than many other cooking methods. 
It’s so versatile. I like making rice in it. I also hard cook eggs. I make pinto beans in it a lot. I’ve thrown frozen chicken breasts in it, then shredded them and used for something else, (Tacos, maybe?) I love that I can sauté veggies or sear meat before pressure cooking it, all in one pan. 
I’m a fan.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I love my instant pot.  Even my husband isn't scared of using it and he's super cautious about all things.  Perfect pork chops, curried beef, bone broth... so easy, so quick, so little effort on my part.  I really like it now that I took the time to figure out how to use it.

• Upvote 3

May birthdays is on saturday... unfortunately I already "used" all my wishes. Mostly for kitchen gadgets. I'm such a (almost) thirtytwo year old grandma ?

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:14 PM, Not that josh's mom said:

We got 6 week old kittens that were littermates and didn't have problems. Is it just a dog thing 

Its also important to remember that littermate syndrome is a risk but not a guarantee- I adopted littermates when I was 18 (they now live with my Mom cause she loved them and wouldn't let me take them when I moved off campus for college haha) and training has avoided all standard littermate issues. 

I can still remember how much effort I put in to making sure they spent enough time separated each day to avoid this, haha (18 year old belugaloo was quite high strung and she TIMED these things)

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic