IGNORED

Sierra 4: She Speaks More Spanish than the Vuolos and Dillards

HerNameIsBuffy

It's probably something one of the toddlers said and they kept repeating it.

• Upvote 5

“Mama-Girl” sounds like the kind of nickname Sierra would use to refer to herself, IMO. Or else maybe she started calling Mark “Daddy-Boy” first. It strikes me as a very her thing to say. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

I thought that one of the girls called her that.  My often overactive imagination thinks maybe Sierra encouraged it or perhaps in JRod kid of way says they call her that and really don't because she thinks it makes her look cool or something.  

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I have something in common with Sierra....my kids, 9 and 12, do the same thing! #girlmom

Seriously tho, I hate those hashtags since they promote gender stereotypes. The things she mentions are in no way exclusive to raising boys. I have zero experience raising boys, but I have one nephew who is a stereotypical boy, and my other nephew is obsessed with unicorns. They’re both ‘all boy’, Sierra.

Right? #humanchildmom

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

I spent today thinking about why the expression “momma girl” rubs me the wrong way. At first, I couldn’t put a finger on it, but now I think I’ve got it. 

As children, especially young (as in, not adult) ones, we need to rely on our parents for support, strength, and wisdom. Parents ought to know how to navigate the life around us. They need to be our rocks and save havens. 

So when her children refer to Sierra as a “girl”, they infantilize her. And she, in fact, infantilizes herself by accepting this peculiar description of her role as a mother. I’m sure it’s not a conscious decision by her or her kids, but they all acknowledge that she isn’t the stable and mature adult who supports her children. She feels weak and strained and in some way, being referred to as “momma girl” is a sign of that. 

Well, I hope I could explain my point. That’s at least my reason why I think the name isn’t a good sign. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 3

I agree with most of what @FluffySnowball posted above. But I think she does encourage it and even perhaps loves being called that.  

A few months back, she and Mark went bowling with another couple (sans kids) and she chose "momma girl" as her screen name. It bothered me then and I thought it was a weird choice to make when alone with other adults. 

She posted another "I am struggling and I need to share it on social media" photo today. In her caption she says that her optimism may seem overwhelming but it's a choice. Sounds like she's again dismissing anxiety/mental health care and honestly most of the time she just comes across as delusional rather than optimistic. I also don't like how she says she needs to teach her children it feels so good to be forgiven.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20200502_235528.thumb.jpg.4b711cb46761923ac2921110270098f4.jpg

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 2

There was also something about her missing her parents.  Which made me wonder how much maybe she relays on extra help 

• Upvote 2

On 4/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, clueliss said:

I thought that one of the girls called her that.  My often overactive imagination thinks maybe Sierra encouraged it or perhaps in JRod kid of way says they call her that and really don't because she thinks it makes her look cool or something.  

Though it's not really something I've heard before, it sounds like a Southern-type thing to say. (Note: I spent my first 18 years in the South.)

I suspect she calls her daughters "Xxx-girl" (I have no idea what they are named) and that one of the kids once replied calling her "Momma-girl" and she liked it, so it became a thing.

• Upvote 8

21 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I agree with most of what @FluffySnowball posted above. But I think she does encourage it and even perhaps loves being called that.  

A few months back, she and Mark went bowling with another couple (sans kids) and she chose "momma girl" as her screen name. It bothered me then and I thought it was a weird choice to make when alone with other adults. 

She posted another "I am struggling and I need to share it on social media" photo today. In her caption she says that her optimism may seem overwhelming but it's a choice. Sounds like she's again dismissing anxiety/mental health care and honestly most of the time she just comes across as delusional rather than optimistic. I also don't like how she says she needs to teach her children it feels so good to be forgiven.

Hide contents

Screenshot_20200502_235528.thumb.jpg.4b711cb46761923ac2921110270098f4.jpg

Parts of this are actually really healthy and good parenting that I suspect you won't find in a lot of fundies. The fact that she says she was wrong and asks for their forgiveness when she screws up and is overly harsh teaches them that adults make bad choices and are not perfect. It also models apologizing and forgiveness so I'm going to say this one thing is something she does right. It DEFINITELY sounds like she rather makes a big production of it (I don't cry and act like I'm the lowest worm who doesn't deserve forgiveness but I don't have evangelism to get over. I just say 'hey kiddo, mom overreacted. I shouldn't have yelled and I'm sorry"  but the bones are good. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

I agree with apologizing to her kids being something positive, but I find her constant mention of appreciating that her kids cheered her up is concerning to me. She seems to rely on them excessively for emotional support and they seem to be aware of her need.

• Upvote 22

• 2 weeks later...

I find Sierra’s mum to be very attractive and stylish, at least judging from Sierra’s recent Mother’s Day Instagram post.

If you showed me a couple of photos and asked me to guess who of the women pictured is the grandma of a bunch of quiverfull grandkids and the mother to a thirty year old mother of seven, I wouldn’t pick her for sure. However, that just shows that looks can be deceiving. 

Spoiler

A9799A74-8CF9-47B9-A218-BDC6E6E95928.jpeg.d7db79671b2d554df3e3125bb07c1fc1.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

If you showed me a couple of photos and asked me to guess who of the women pictured is the grandma of a bunch of quiverfull grandkids and the mother to a thirty year old mother of seven, I wouldn’t pick her for sure. However, that just shows that looks can be deceiving. 

Sierra's mom is only 48/49...that's what gets me...I'm damn near her age and I still have an elementary schooler!  I can't imagine being a grandma...

• Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Sierra's mom is only 48/49...that's what gets me...I'm damn near her age and I still have an elementary schooler!  I can't imagine being a grandma...

Oh, really? I gotta admit I assumed she was a stylish and attractive approximately 55 years old woman. Still, she’s pretty, but a very young mother and grandmother. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Mark goes by daddy boy according to her recent stories. 

I think that’s creepier than mama girl 

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 6
  • WTF 5
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

Mark goes by daddy boy according to her recent stories. 

I think that’s creepier than mama girl 

I jokingly called my husband “papa bear” when our son was first born but it didn’t stick and we never would have told our kids to call him that.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I jokingly called my husband “papa bear” when our son was first born but it didn’t stick and we never would have told our kids to call him that.

Papa bear is adorable though. It does not have the ick factor at all in my opinion. lol well I’m not going to over think it and ruin it anyway. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Papa bear is adorable though. It does not have the ick factor at all in my opinion. lol well I’m not going to over think it and ruin it anyway. 

Papa bear is very cute and doesn’t infantilize the father of the family, just as mummy bear doesn’t infantilize the mother. At least for me - though that’s likely true for many people - when I think of a bear, I picture a big, strong animal that looks cuddly and cute but can be protective and fierce as well. Those are all facets that might come in handy when someone has kids. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, FluffySnowball said:

Papa bear is very cute and doesn’t infantilize the father of the family, just as mummy bear doesn’t infantilize the mother. At least for me - though that’s likely true for many people - when I think of a bear, I picture a big, strong animal that looks cuddly and cute but can be protective and fierce as well. Those are all facets that might come in handy when someone has kids. 

Yes, papa bear and mama bear makes me think of a strong protective... maybe a little too protective... parental figure 

mama girl and daddy boy... no

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

9 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

Yes, papa bear and mama bear makes me think of a strong protective... maybe a little too protective... parental figure 

mama girl and daddy boy... no

Everybody has weird personal things that would sound ridiculous to other people but have meaning or are fun for them . The difference with Sierra is that she somehow has no public/private filter.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

On 5/13/2020 at 4:09 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

My poor mother, she was only 44 when I made her a grandma. But in all fairness she was a teenager when she had me and I was in my mid twenties when I had my first.  I'm curious, what constitutes first grandma age? 50+??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

My poor mother, she was only 44 when I made her a grandma. But in all fairness she was a teenager when she had me and I was in my mid twenties when I had my first.  I'm curious, what constitutes first grandma age? 50+??

I wasn't judging her being a grandma in her late 40s.  I was simply making a comparison of her life vs. mine.  

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bazinga said:

My mother was 48 when I made her a grandmother. She was 21 when I was born and I was 27 when I had my first. Late 40s doesn’t seem unusual to be a first time grandmother to me. 

Sierra's mom had her first (Sierra's older brother) when she was 17, IIRC, and then had Sierra not much later. Since Sierra had her first at age 20, her mother must have still been in her 30s when she became a grandma. So yes, definitely a very young grandma even by Southern Christian standards.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

I'd say it's more surprising for her to be that young and have SO MANY grandchildren, but that's because most people don't pop 'em out like it's going out of style the way so many fundies do.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic