IGNORED

Josie and Kelton 6: So Boring I Couldn't Find a Funny Quote

HerNameIsBuffy

As someone who was Steiner schooled, whose kids now go to a Steiner school, I know that the majority of people who send their kids there/go there themselves have no clue about most of his wacky ideas. (Myself included)

The first years are very light on actual learning, but by Highschool that seriously changes. When I switched to a state trade school I was so bored to be “learning” stuff that I had been taught 2 years earlier. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

As someone who was Steiner schooled, whose kids now go to a Steiner school, I know that the majority of people who send their kids there/go there themselves have no clue about most of his wacky ideas. (Myself included)

The first years are very light on actual learning, but by Highschool that seriously changes. When I switched to a state trade school I was so bored to be “learning” stuff that I had been taught 2 years earlier. 

I think that’s the case for a majority of people. As my country doesn’t allow homeschooling and all schools have too meet certain criteria’s I wouldn’t hesitate to have my children visit a Waldorf school from a curriculum perspective. I think it’s great that they emphasise on more than regular subjects and have a holistic approach. Because of my countries regulations you don’t find any of the racist and much of the mythological aspects. But from time to time it comes into the open that some still have it on a micro-level. That’s why I think it’s important to research. There are incredible good Waldorf (and Montessori- similar in their holistic approach but coming from different background) schools out there. What I do think can be problematic is the amount of fees and personal involvement. Here, most families need/want two full incomes. There is just no time to be involved for extra activities ALL the time. That’s why this kind of schools are often full of children from a good socio -economical background with parents that have the resources to be VERY involved. It’s a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. That’s not always the case though and especially for children struggling with public school system, those schools can be really helpful too.

• Upvote 5

We had a big income gap for sure. It seemed to be quite wealthy people or really struggling and not much in between. My mother was a solo parent on a caregiver income. She was also buying organic food and natural fibre clothing years before it became popular ? 

And then there were the ones who went overseas for holidays (not that common in New Zealand in those days) In Germany the wealthier ones owned their own house, 2 cars and flew to holiday destinations

My children seem to have more “average” in their classes between the extremes 

Edited by Mrs Ms
Info about the next generation
  • Upvote 3

A medschool friend went to Waldorf. I was skeptic at first but from what she told me (I know the quality and philosophy varies) it sounded like a place I'd sent my kids to. She did well, graduated medical school without a problem.

They focus a lot on integration and community spirit, she never witnessed any bullying. A classmate of hers had physical disabilities but was very bright. They completely neglected him in public schools (which aren't bad in our country) but he flourished at Waldorf and was unconditionally accepted by his school friends.

They also all did a semester abroad and the whole class did year 12 in a public school (that's the rule in our country) all passed with much better grades on average.

I agree some of them are wacky but there are a lot of pretty good ones out there as well.

Adding: her mom raised 3 kids on a single income, guess the fees vary too

Edited by squiddysquid
  • Upvote 2

Josie posted a house tour. I’ve been staring at her eyebrows in the last several videos and pictures. I can’t tell if she had microblading or brow straightening (this is an actual thing) but I can’t figure it out and it intrigues me.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, onyourwayhome said:

Josie posted a house tour. I’ve been staring at her eyebrows in the last several videos and pictures. I can’t tell if she had microblading or brow straightening (this is an actual thing) but I can’t figure it out and it intrigues me.

Same! Both the color and the shape fascinates me. I belive at least some microblading in the inner edges. 

The house tour is just about what I expected. Love the blue cabinets on the bathroom. All in all not too far from my style, other than the lack of storage and the too small bed! Yes to huuuge beds. And my home has more stuff. And colors. But I guess we would pin much of the same stuff on pinterest. 

• Upvote 3

Her eyebrows look weird. Is it trendy, BTW?

I liked her house tour because it's a real one. Nothing fancy. Also I have the feeling that she does not spend money as a fool. That's (probably) why they still need to purchase some forniture and decorations. The house looks as if someone was living there, conversely to Erin's home. And not as cluttered as Alyssa's.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Her eyebrows look weird. Is it trendy, BTW?

Yes, it is trendy. I've seen it taken to extreme lenghts... I do not find the more heavy versions to be attractive at all, but they do they. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I think she mostly overlined her brows - I can actually see the pencil line on the bottom. All just trends she's bought into, girl ain't got one original thought.

3 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

He use to be. Not sure what happened. 

When 19 kids are coming in the next twenty years... gotta need a bigger pay check maybe? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I hate Kelton's hair. I know that cut has been trendy for a while, but all I see is the Hitler Youth undercut, which is emphasised by his uber clean cut face and short sleeves. It gives me the heebie-jeebies. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

He use to be. Not sure what happened. 

He has been working with Kelton at his parent's company for a while now. I don't think they ever really explained why. When someone asked in the comments on Instagram (back when Bobby first started with Kelton), someone (Kelly) answered something to the effect of "he was called into this new direction/he decided to take this opportunity but may go back to youth ministry if the Lord leads him back".
Unclear whether he willing left his old job/was fired/etc.

I also wonder why Kelton even started his own company. I would imagine it being easier and more profitable to keep the family company strong instead of opening a competing one. Or do they operate in different areas?

Anyway, it's nice that Kelton has a real job that he seems to love and that provides an income.

Josie has said on Instagram that she'll announce some big thing she's been working on soon, something to do with hair and makeup. Maybe she's opening her own saloon? Or a product line? Or she'll freelance? I guess she already does that sometimes.

• Upvote 10

Knowing what I do about Fundie churches, I doubt they paid Bobby much. With a second child on the way he has to get a better job.

(I have personally known of a church who expected their pastor to be available 24/7, but avoided paying him a living wage saying that he needed to have another job. They felt they needed the collection money to "do ministry" instead of things like pay the pastor and keep the light bill paid.)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Knowing what I do about Fundie churches, I doubt they paid Bobby much. With a second child on the way he has to get a better job.

(I have personally known of a church who expected their pastor to be available 24/7, but avoided paying him a living wage saying that he needed to have another job. They felt they needed the collection money to "do ministry" instead of things like pay the pastor and keep the light bill paid.)

I thought the same thing...is youth pastor even a full time job with living wage anywhere?

• Upvote 6

The small town I work in has a church with an open youth pastor position.  Someone shared about it on Facebook.  The listed salary was $30k or so.   If I extrapolate that out to supporting self, spouse, kids - not enough to cover the bills.  

• Upvote 5

Just now, clueliss said:

The small town I work in has a church with an open youth pastor position.  Someone shared about it on Facebook.  The listed salary was $30k or so.   If I extrapolate that out to supporting self, spouse, kids - not enough to cover the bills.  

Not unless it comes with housing, but that's usually just the main pastor and family, right?

• Upvote 2

As far as I know.  I didn't see mention of housing in what was shared.  And this was a mainstream church.  Not the tiny & super fundie version either.  Just small because of the size of the city it is in.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Paperplate said:

He has been working with Kelton at his parent's company for a while now. I don't think they ever really explained why. When someone asked in the comments on Instagram (back when Bobby first started with Kelton), someone (Kelly) answered something to the effect of "he was called into this new direction/he decided to take this opportunity but may go back to youth ministry if the Lord leads him back".
Unclear whether he willing left his old job/was fired/etc.

I also wonder why Kelton even started his own company. I would imagine it being easier and more profitable to keep the family company strong instead of opening a competing one. Or do they operate in different areas?

Anyway, it's nice that Kelton has a real job that he seems to love and that provides an income.

Josie has said on Instagram that she'll announce some big thing she's been working on soon, something to do with hair and makeup. Maybe she's opening her own saloon? Or a product line? Or she'll freelance? I guess she already does that sometimes.

The company they used to work was not owned by Kelton father but by his uncle. In the message they say they parted in good terms with the uncle and we dont have reason to doubt it.

• Upvote 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic