IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 7: Grifter in Utero

GreyhoundFan

Layla apparently has a hole in her heart, which could be the cause of her breathing issues. They had another scare with her oxygen levels recently. They put her on some acid reflex meds, since that could also be complicating things.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 10

5 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Layla apparently has a hole in her heart, which could be the cause of her breathing issues. They had another scare with her oxygen levels recently. They put her on some acid reflex meds, since that could also be complicating things.

As first time parents it must be pretty scary to be having so many health problems on top of a global pandemic, but i have to say that i find that thumbnail to be very clickbaity, and since we know Evan edits the videos i will just say that i find it super tasteless to use a photo of your absolutely distraught wife as a thumbnail.

With so many of the Bates sisters having premature babies because of the clotting dissorder it was a matter of time until they encountered some problems, they have been very lucky so far.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 17

Man, that thumbnail seems in poor taste. It looks like the lead-in to one of those crappy “real life drama” shows that litter the obscure channels.

I just can’t imagine putting out something that slick-looking when I was distraught about my daughter’s health.

ETA: sounds like llucie and I had similar reactions!

Edited by Jasmar
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 16

Family vloggers often use shocking thumbnails in a move to get views. (And a lot of times it’s what I call a fooled you! Move on top of it)

• Upvote 8

I hope she is ok. When my son was a few months older than Layla he had a similar episode, he went limp, turned white and was barely breathing.  I called 911 and he was fine by the time the EMT’s got there however, they took him in and everything checked out.

A month later it happened again, turned out to be seizures and he eventually was diagnosed with a complicated disorder called Dravet Syndrome. I had no idea a seizure could present like that, then again, I knew zero about seizures! (This was 28 years ago)

I really do hope she’s ok, it sounds scary. They have been through a lot in such a short period of time.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Love 18

9 hours ago, llucie said:

With so many of the Bates sisters having premature babies because of the clotting dissorder it was a matter of time until they encountered some problems, they have been very lucky so far

I think that only Holland has been a bit premature, but all the other miniBates have been born at 37 weeks or later, so they are not prematures. 

I'm not a doctor, but as far as we know, none of the Layla's health problems seem tied to her mother's clotting disorder. It seems to me that she's having bad luck. Sometimes healthy young parents have a baby with health issues, unfortunately.

I really feel for the baby and for Carlin and Evan... But after Evan using the picture of a clearly distressed Carlin for clickbait purposes, I'd like to shake him!!!

• Upvote 15

I don't understand having a scary moment with your baby daughter and then hours later decided to do a video about it? I can't imaging going through that and then deciding hey let's do a YouTube video. Wouldn't you be too worried about your baby to even think of something like that? Then before and after the doctor. 

But that would be scary. Poor Layla and her parents.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I cannot image the train of thought that starts with seeing your wife cry because your child is having a medical emergency and ends with "let's film this!!".

I haven't watched the new video and I probably never will but I watched a bit of an older one and found it strange. I get making a video to send to family as an update on the current situation but filming yourself explaining what's going on in the moment specifically to make a Youtube video about it?!?!

Also, it's a bit weird that they have these clickbaitey drama videos on Youtube while their Instagram shows their perfectly healthy, happy, carefree family. Two whole different stories.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

I watched the video. They apparently had some sort of monitoring device they bought and were using it on Layla and it went off. Carline and freaked out. They have seen the doctor there is a known hole in her heart but they don’t know if that is what is causing the issue or not. They do you have her on something for acid reflex because it might be that the acid reflux is causing some of the issues. They are continuing to monitor her. Carlin said thatSister came over when it happens because she’s just down the road I’m assuming she means Michaela.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

They both looked upset, as I'd expect any parents to be.  The filming was a discussion of events after the fact and before/after (but not during) the follow-up doctor appt the next day.  I really felt for them (I mean how could you not, it sounded terrifying), and was relieved that they weren't so absurd as to actually film what they thought might be Layla dying.  I would hate to live a life where I felt like I owed strangers a description of an event like that.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I know that Covid 19 has affected all levels of health care including people’s inclination to interface with services. As a former, long time Nicu nurse I was most struck by how ill prepared or informed they both appeared to be as to what to do when someone isn’t breathing. I wonder about any cardiac teaching that they might have had in terms of potential emergency home care for a baby with a cardiac condition. Again, I do think Covid has affected processes and procedures. How many times did Evan say “ we didn’t know what to do”? Were they not given any cardiac discharge teaching? Made to take and pass infant and child CPR?

WARNING IM FLYING MY CRAZY FLAG

This is an example of why I would never want teachers in the classroom armed. Most people do not know how they’d react in a critical, emergent situation. Often times no matter the training and practice, the nerves supersede the rational thinking...steps off soapbox.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 5

So sorry they had to go through that. Carlin has been on TV for so long that maybe she's use to being open about her life. Joy lost her baby last year and now poor Layla is having health issues. Plus Carlin was sick as well. For better or for worst, has started early for this young couple. This whole experience will probably give their immaturity a boost. With that being said, I've noticed a lot of people seek out social media for support or prayers for tragic situations. It's not that they feel they owe people an explanation. I think they might be "desperate" for others to know what's going on. Most fundies thrive on emotional and spiritual support. Well, so do alot people. Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 8
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Were they not given any cardiac discharge teaching? Made to take and pass infant and child CPR?

As someone who has never had kids and hopes to not have any for at least another few years, I have to ask: is this really a thing they do for new parents? I’ve never heard of new parents taking a infant CPR course or being given one by the hospital they delivered in. I think it’s actually a really great idea if they do, but I’ve never heard of parents doing that before. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

As someone who has never had kids and hopes to not have any for at least another few years, I have to ask: is this really a thing they do for new parents? I’ve never heard of new parents taking a infant CPR course or being given one by the hospital they delivered in. I think it’s actually a really great idea if they do, but I’ve never heard of parents doing that before. 

I did.  It was voluntary, but offered by our hospital and recommended by my obgyn.

Thankfully I never had to use what I learned, but I wanted to be as prepared as possible just in case.  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

A preterm baby who has been rehospitalized, and with a known cardiac condition, absolutely. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I know CPR but it's not something usually offered to expecting parents, and many obgyn and nurses don't even talk about it. It's very useful and should be learned, but I think it's normal that Carlin and Evan don' t know it, unfortunately.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Before my niece was born, my former sister-in-law paid for all of us (both sets of grandparents, both uncles, and myself) to take a class at the local hospital that included infant CPR. She also informed us that if we elected to not take the course, we could not watch the baby. I'm not sure what the cost was, or how well it was advertised, but I thought it was great. This was almost eight years ago. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

It’s not something we (my husband and I, who had a baby last year) took of we’re even informed about. On the list of suggested classes and resources, nothing like that was included. It should probably be standard but definitely isn’t. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I also need to say this. Baby LR should be on a medically ordered and monitored, apnea monitor. She was born slightly early, was rehospitalized for health issues, has a murmur and  a diagnosed structural issue with her heart, and has now had an episode of desaturation resulting in color change and lethargy per her parents. An OTC counter item is not enough. She needs an apparatus that alarms when her breathing is starting to slow down, well before she desaturates. I sincerely hope that she is getting proper follow up and home care. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I also need to say this. Baby LR should be on a medically ordered and monitored, apnea monitor. She was born slightly early, was rehospitalized for health issues, has a murmur and  a diagnosed structural issue with her heart, and has now had an episode of desaturation resulting in color change and lethargy per her parents. An OTC counter item is not enough. She needs an apparatus that alarms when her breathing is starting to slow down, well before she desaturates. I sincerely hope that she is getting proper follow up and home care. 

She’s had 2 known episodes. They got the OTC monitor after the first one. 
As far as them going on social media afterward, I can kind of understand it. When my son was first having all sorts of weird and scary events, (undiagnosed seizures) as a baby. (there was no internet.) I did read a lot about development and I think I asked every single Mom I met or knew if their kid did something that resembled what my kid was going through. In hindsight,  I really was asking to be reassured more than anything else. It is a terrifying thing when you have a seemingly healthy baby fall apart.  Support and talking about it helps and makes you feel less alone. Also people do tell reassuring stories in their comment section, I’m sure that helps them quite a bit.

The wheels did fall off in our situation and it was crazy hard. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

I hope she is getting top notch medical care.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 7

22 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I know that Covid 19 has affected all levels of health care including people’s inclination to interface with services. As a former, long time Nicu nurse I was most struck by how ill prepared or informed they both appeared to be as to what to do when someone isn’t breathing. I wonder about any cardiac teaching that they might have had in terms of potential emergency home care for a baby with a cardiac condition. Again, I do think Covid has affected processes and procedures. How many times did Evan say “ we didn’t know what to do”? Were they not given any cardiac discharge teaching? Made to take and pass infant and child CPR?

WARNING IM FLYING MY CRAZY FLAG

This is an example of why I would never want teachers in the classroom armed. Most people do not know how they’d react in a critical, emergent situation. Often times no matter the training and practice, the nerves supersede the rational thinking...steps off soapbox.

Infant CPR classes are not required for anyone in the US, it's all voluntary. I dont think most of these couples take any birthing classes in general, I remember with her second birth Whitney didnt even know what breach meant. I think they just assume since they grow up in big families with lots of babies that they know everything they need to know.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

Infant CPR classes are not required for anyone in the US, it's all voluntary. I dont think most of these couples take any birthing classes in general, I remember with her second birth Whitney didnt even know what breach meant. I think they just assume since they grow up in big families with lots of babies that they know everything they need to know.

I am not referring to “healthy” babies. This baby has had multiple interfaces with the health care system and her parents  would certainly meet the criteria for cardiac teaching which would include basic infant and child CPR. Having worked in several nicus for many decades, I know this is standard. Hopefully, now that she has had a diagnosis and an episode of what very much, from what her parents describe,  looks like apnea, other measures will be taken. Evan’s words”we didn’t know what to do” makes me think that they have had little to no education on how to respond to an infant who is not breathing. Again, perhaps an alteration in practices, particularly discharge education d/t covid could be in play.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

The scariest part of the "we didn't know what to do" for me wasn't even that they didn't know infant CPR. It's that they didn't even know to immediately call 911 when their baby wasn't breathing. Instead they called Kelly who then told them to call 911. I get that that's a super stressful and scary situation and I 100% understand the impulse to want your mom to just make things better, but come on. Your baby isn't breathing. You call 911 first, THEN call your mom.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, JillyO said:

The scariest part of the "we didn't know what to do" for me wasn't even that they didn't know infant CPR. It's that they didn't even know to immediately call 911 when their baby wasn't breathing. Instead they called Kelly who then told them to call 911. I get that that's a super stressful and scary situation and I 100% understand the impulse to want your mom to just make things better, but come on. Your baby isn't breathing. You call 911 first, THEN call your mom.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I made the statement about armed teachers. If someone had asked Evan before the incident what he would do if LR was blue and lethargic, I would bet he would have said “call 911”. However, in the heat of a critical moment, all that logic often slips away. IMO that entire Video was chilling. So young, uniformed and really immature ( Carlin’s verbiage about LR’s heart issues), and above all else simultaneously fearful and trusting. 
I think part of the reason that they did not activate EMS was because doing so would have made the situation that much more real, and neither of them could handle that reality.

• Upvote 13

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is exactly what I was thinking when I made the statement about armed teachers. If someone had asked Evan before the incident what he would do if LR was blue and lethargic, I would bet he would have said “call 911”. However, in the heat of a critical moment, all that logic often slips away. IMO that entire Video was chilling. So young, uniformed and really immature ( Carlin’s verbiage about LR’s heart issues), and above all else simultaneously fearful and trusting. 
I think part of the reason that they did not activate EMS was because doing so would have made the situation that much more real, and neither of them could handle that reality.

Huh? Do you mean call an ambulance? 

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic