IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 7: Grifter in Utero

GreyhoundFan

23 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I wouldn't bet Gil was a great dad even then. Michael was only their second child, and they were already:

-so extremist that they change her name because Michal was, apparently, the name of a too strong woman

-so poor (or cheap) that couldn't pay a few bucks to properly change her name, so changed her female name for a male name

Gil and Kelly have been a mess since the beginning.

I thought that they didn’t go off the deep end until later. I have never bought the name story. 

5 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I thought that they didn’t go off the deep end until later. I have never bought the name story. 

You may be right, but who names their daughter Michael? It's very weird. I know there are several women named Michael, but then, why call her Michaela? It's obvious that they were never comfortable with the name.

My point is that she was just the second kid. By the time you have your second baby, first girl, it is supposed that picking the name is a big deal, not something disposable like they did. That's why I think they were already at the crazy level.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

You may be right, but who names their daughter Michael? It's very weird. I know there are several women named Michael, but then, why call her Michaela? It's obvious that they were never comfortable with the name.

My point is that she was just the second kid. By the time you have your second baby, first girl, it is supposed that picking the name is a big deal, not something disposable like they did. That's why I think they were already at the crazy level.

Don’t get me wrong, they are clearly coco for the puffs, but bass on way more than an idd name. Think of poor Spurgeon!

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

Reading between the lines, I have a feeling that Gil and Kelly were both religion hoppers. They both show signs of looking for missing things in their lives that they wanted to replace with church or religion. I've always thought a large part their reason for a large family was the attention Kelly Jo seems to thrive on and seek. 

Carlin seems to have some of that same trait in her. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

This weeks video featured Evan getting excited about a new umbrella and Carlin giving Evan a haircut.  And it was every bit the over the top extra you probably think it was.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

So here’s my theory in the name thing  ?

Her name was supposed to be Michael. It’s in the 3000 range of popularity for female names. So she’s not the only one. Once they went full on fundie they needed a “female” name. They didn’t have the money to change it properly so they went with Michela. The main reason that I think it happened much later is Zach. He usually calls her Michael. It makes me think he was used to saying Michael by the time the switch was made. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

So here’s my theory in the name thing  ?

Her name was supposed to be Michael. It’s in the 3000 range of popularity for female names. So she’s not the only one. Once they went full on fundie they needed a “female” name. They didn’t have the money to change it properly so they went with Michela. The main reason that I think it happened much later is Zach. He usually calls her Michael. It makes me think he was used to saying Michael by the time the switch was made. 

That's not how it went, though. Her original name was Michal, after the bible character. GIl and Kelly read Michal's story after the fact and realized they didn't like her. They sought to change her name to Michela, but they could only add one letter without a charge. So, they added the E, and she legally became Michael. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, marmalade said:

That's not how it went, though. Her original name was Michal, after the bible character. GIl and Kelly read Michal's story after the fact and realized they didn't like her. They sought to change her name to Michela, but they could only add one letter without a charge. So, they added the E, and she legally became Michael. 

I never got why they didn’t go with Michala. Not the best way to spell it but a lot of people butcher spellings of names.... 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

This is the Biblical Person she is named after.  David's wife - Saul's daughter.  She wasn't amused by David Dancing, among other things.  Granted David also went on to have other wives including Bathsheba (who he had an affair with, got pregnant, killed her husband by sending him off to war, then they lost the baby she was pregnant with - but you know fundies, that's right judge Michal)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michal

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

It’s really unbelievable that they gave their firstborn daughter a name they hadn’t even researched. I also assume they were pronouncing it incorrectly from the outset. The name michal is a relatively common Hebrew name and is pronounced mee-khal. I assume they read it and thought it was pronounced my-kuhl, as though it was just a female spelling of the male name Michael. Since they’ve never mentioned it before, I assume they probably still don’t know how the name is pronounced. 

• Upvote 14

15 hours ago, marmalade said:

I said that I have never believed their story. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I said that I have never believed their story. 

What’s your theory? Out of curiosity? 

• Upvote 2

I swear on their first show United Bates, they called her Michael. I remember thinking “How progressive of them”.  Yeah, I know.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

What’s your theory? Out of curiosity? 

It’s up above. I think the story was made up after they converted to fundie. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

It’s up above. I think the story was made up after they converted to fundie. 

I think the story perfectly illustrates their laziness and cheapness, and we have no reason to think it’s not true. The name change we’re talking about was from Michal to Michael, soon after her birth. I don’t see why that story would be made up, if your point is that Michael is too masculine for hardcore fundies. If your point is that they didn’t see the Biblical Michal as objectionable until they were in the cult, I doubt that too. There’s no evidence that they went extra fundie at that point. They just hadn’t bothered to read the story. Michaela was clearly imposed on them by the TV production company much later, and they usually forget to call her that. Her cult-employee husband usually calls her Michael too. 

• Upvote 9

10 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think the story perfectly illustrates their laziness and cheapness, and we have no reason to think it’s not true. The name change we’re talking about was from Michal to Michael, soon after her birth. I don’t see why that story would be made up, if your point is that Michael is too masculine for hardcore fundies. If your point is that they didn’t see the Biblical Michal as objectionable until they were in the cult, I doubt that too. There’s no evidence that they went extra fundie at that point. They just hadn’t bothered to read the story. Michaela was clearly imposed on them by the TV production company much later, and they usually forget to call her that. Her cult-employee husband usually calls her Michael too. 

Not that my actions matter, but I call her Michaela because that's how she refers to herself on her SM which is posted here.  I refer to people how they refer to themselves so I assume that's what she likes.

And can we all pour one out for the lovely and talented Miss Michael Learned?  My personal fanwank based on nothing is that Kelly was once normal and a fan of the Walton's (we called ourselves Walnuts on TWOP, how's that for dorky?!)

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 2

The Walton Connection makes sense to me. I always wondered if Erin was named from that show. I wanted my name to be Erin SOOO bad when I was a kid watching that show.

I actually like Carlin’s name a lot, I’ve never seen it for a first name. I’m pretty sure she’s not named after George.

Edited by TeaELSee
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

The Walton Connection makes sense to me. I always wondered if Erin was named from that show. I wanted my name to be Erin SOOO bad when I was a kid watching that show.

I actually like Carlin’s name a lot, I’ve never seen it for a first name. I’m pretty sure she’s not named after George.

I actually graduated from high school with a boy named Carlin.  This was in 1982 so he'd be 55-56 now.  

• Upvote 2

Micheal for a girl, reminds me of Dr Quinn Medicine Woman. Micheal A Quinn. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 5/4/2020 at 7:03 AM, clueliss said:

This is the Biblical Person she is named after.  David's wife - Saul's daughter.  She wasn't amused by David Dancing, among other things.  Granted David also went on to have other wives including Bathsheba (who he had an affair with, got pregnant, killed her husband by sending him off to war, then they lost the baby she was pregnant with - but you know fundies, that's right judge Michal)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michal

Yeah, David took other wives, had an affair with a married woman, got her pregnant and sent her husband off to die. But you know he's so great and Fundies love him. What did Michal do? Well, all she did was save David's life. He would have been caught and killed if she didn't help him out of the palace. You'd think that would place her in high esteem. That should be enough to do it. Nope, Fundies hate her because she laughed at David while he danced. Oh, not that. Well, she's damned forever. Plus don't most Fundies hate dancing? 

16 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

So do I. It just fits them so well. Their lazy and cheap. They claim to know everything about the Bible and Kelly was the daughter of a preacher. So you'd think they'd know all about Michal especially since she wasn't some obscure person. But because this is Gil and Kelly we're talking about of course they'd pick the name and then read the Bible and hate her so much that they chose to change their daughter's name. They easily could have said they named her that because she saved David's life. Or just liked the name. Nope, they insist on changing her name. But it actually costs money to change it to Michaela. Oh, wait they can add one letter for free. So the geniuses decide to go with E. Oh no most people think she's boy rather then letting it go or telling people to get over it. Girls get boy names all the time. Or having picked A in the first place and called her Michala. Nope, they can't do that. So they call her Michaela. Then go back and forth between the two. The Duggar show and their own show it goes back and forth referring to her as Michael, Michaela, and Michaella. Just pick one and stick with it. But this is Gil and Kelly we're talking about they can't do that.

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

I don't know-how are the rules for name changing in the Us, but could they have understood something as you can change one letter for free like hey now we add an E and next year we can change again for free and add another A. Like you change one time for a name not one and stop. They may have thought that Michael was another name so they would have had a second chance for free because they are so special you know

• Upvote 2

Cory, Tony, Bobby, Jesse, Tommy, and Matty are a few names that have been given to girls I know. Tommy is named for her dad, who is a Thomas. Never knew Michael could be used as a female name. But hey, there seem to be no rules with odd names these days. Apple, North, Blue Ivy, etc.

• Upvote 2

On 5/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think the story perfectly illustrates their laziness and cheapness,

It truly is. Picking a name off a list of biblical names without bothering to learn about the person they are naming their child after is the most Gil and Kelly thing ever. 

• Upvote 17

21 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It truly is. Picking a name off a list of biblical names without bothering to learn about the person they are naming their child after is the most Gil and Kelly thing ever. 

It's all just so weird. It's not as if "Michal" is a common secular name like "Simon" where they could argue they liked the sound of the name without knowing all the Biblical stories behind it. Where else did they come across this name other than in a religious context?

And as you say, who picks a name without doing the minimum amount of research into it? (And I don't think I'm being BEC by being surprised they didn't already know the meaning. It's not that obscure of a Biblical character). 

If they'd liked the name "Michael" and later switched because of the Fundie gender role thing, then the "e" would be on her birth certificate. (I actually think Michael is a really cool name for a girl.) And "Carlin" is a bit gender bending itself, and they were deep in the Fundieverse then. 

I have never been able to figure out what the hell happened with this name. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

But hey, there seem to be no rules with odd names these days. Apple, North, Blue Ivy, etc.

(insert Elon Musk/Grimes joke here)

They also could have just said "Michal" was a quirky way of spelling "Michelle." There have been weirder spellings of names. And it's not like she ever went to a school where she would have to correct people constantly. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic