IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 7: Grifter in Utero

GreyhoundFan

37 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Huh? Do you mean call an ambulance? 

Yes. In the US, EMS (emergency services) are activated by dialing 911-

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I watched their videos and the only thing I thought was very odd was how one of them didn’t sit in the backseat with Layla on the way to the doctor. Even with a mirror, I was always a little paranoid in the car when my daughter was an infant and you’d think after the scare that they had that they’d be a little more vigilant. And the fact it’s all filmed haha but I guess that’s their thing. I did feel for Carlin being separated from Layla. I would’ve been very emotional, too, in her position. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1

The thing that stood out to me and was telling about their maturity level is that the first thing they did was call Kelly. Not the doctor, not 911, she called her mom because she didn’t know what to do. That is the reaction of a child not ready to have children, IMO. Maybe that is your phone call on the way to the hospital for support but not the first step. Kelly was the person who called 911!

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Yes. In the US, EMS (emergency services) are activated by dialing 911-

Maybe they can’t/won’t pay for an ambulance 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

In most instances firefighters, many of whom are trained paramedics, would be the first to respond to a 911 medical emergency. As far as I know, counties do not charge individuals for first responder services as those costs are covered via property taxes. I am not sure if all 911 medical calls automatically trigger an ambulance. I doubt in the moment either of those folks were thinking about the cost of an ambulance ride. I think their thinking was shut down, which happens to many folks in emergency situations.

• Upvote 7

They tend to ask you what the nature of the emergency is and then dispatch appropriately. I've never had a fire truck required. The default is usually going to be the police.

When I overdosed and called myself in I got police and the ambulance. Ambulance services are dispatched independently to hospitals based on ER availability. Separate bill too. It was a fuzzy experience but I believe the police told them where to send me.

When I called and was broken down in the middle of a highway they sent 4 patrol cars very quickly, and a tow truck.

That all makes sense.. the least common call is probably for a fire truck.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

In most instances firefighters, many of whom are trained paramedics, would be the first to respond to a 911 medical emergency. As far as I know, counties do not charge individuals for first responder services as those costs are covered via property taxes. I am not sure if all 911 medical calls automatically trigger an ambulance. I doubt in the moment either of those folks were thinking about the cost of an ambulance ride. I think their thinking was shut down, which happens to many folks in emergency situations.

I think this depends on where you live. When I lived in Arizona, I lived in the county, outside the city limits and had to subscribe to a fire service to get my mortgage, and the ambulance that went with the fire was another subscription. (Same company, but you could choose to just have fire or just have ambulance. If you didn't have a fire subscription, it cost to get firefighters out, but I don't remember how much.

• Upvote 5

In NC, at least where I live, police and firefighters show up first and then call for ambulance or rescue squad based on their assessment. Often the firetruck arrives before the police. It's kind of weird I guess. 

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Such a foreign concept to me. We only call for an ambulance. Firefighters are for fires only here. Our 911 (000) the first thing that is asked is fire, police or ambulance? and then you are directed as such. 
if you don’t have private insurance or on a health benefit you have to pay for an ambulance ride. I’m not sure about fire. I think if it’s a false alarm you have to pay a fee. Not so sure about a real fire. Cops I assume come at no cost. Lol 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 5/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, JanasTattooParlor said:

As someone who has never had kids and hopes to not have any for at least another few years, I have to ask: is this really a thing they do for new parents? I’ve never heard of new parents taking a infant CPR course or being given one by the hospital they delivered in. I think it’s actually a really great idea if they do, but I’ve never heard of parents doing that before. 

Here, infant CPR is a pretty new thing offered to parents. It also touches at common dangers as heat stroke, poison, burns .... I don’t know if parents with a baby that already had health concerns are offered a course (meaning it would be paid through their health insurance) or are at least suggested to take one. My daughters godmother made us take one together. It was nice but we have probably forgotten most of it by now.

People often react completely clueless in shock. That’s why you really should call the emergency line. The people will calm you down, ask the right questions to dispatch whatever is needed and talk you through whatever action they want you to take. So I get their reaction on the surface. But part of being an adult (and I absolutely think you should be able to do this simple task as calling the emergency number from age 15) and a parent is to act accordingly. You can freak out afterwards big time. You can cry all the time AFTER arranging for help. Our CPR course stretched again and again that arranging for help is the most important thing. Because they know, that people that are not trained and are personally affected will forget what they have learned, are scared, might not think straight. Being clueless and hysterical is ok but get help.

Good thing is- I will go and look for the action cheat sheet they handed us at the course und pin it on the fridge. 

• Upvote 11

11 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

In NC, at least where I live, police and firefighters show up first and then call for ambulance or rescue squad based on their assessment. Often the firetruck arrives before the police. It's kind of weird I guess. 

That is how it is for my part of NC too. Since I live outside city limits, the volunteer firefighters show up first, then police and if needed an ambulance. 

• Upvote 5

I simply never thought about infant/toddler CPR being different than adult CPR until a friend was driving and her daughter (who had seemed stable with a respiratory infection) stopped breathing.  She is the most badass woman I know personally - she whipped her car into the closest parking lot, grabbed her daughter and ran in yelling for someone to call 911, then proceeded to do CPR and get her breathing again.  There are some long term issues they are overcoming from the episode, but months later she still has her little girl because of her foresight in training and ability to keep her head in a crisis.

I recently found out I'm pregnant again after a miscarriage last summer and that's high on my list of classes to take.  But I think if you don't know someone who has needed it, it may not occur to you if it hasn't been recommended by the medical professionals.  Hope the whole Stewart family is doing okay emotionally after the episode.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 12

On 5/14/2020 at 11:34 PM, Skeptic55 said:

The thing that stood out to me and was telling about their maturity level is that the first thing they did was call Kelly. Not the doctor, not 911, she called her mom because she didn’t know what to do. That is the reaction of a child not ready to have children, IMO. Maybe that is your phone call on the way to the hospital for support but not the first step. Kelly was the person who called 911!

I’ve been a paramedic for 12 years.  I cannot tell you how common this is.  I’m not talking about teenage moms either; I’ve had moms in their 30s with master’s degree call their mother first in an emergency and it’s their own mom who either calls 911 or tells them too.  I don’t think it’s a maturity thing, just a fallible human response.

I found my own baby not breathing and unconscious and while I started CPR, I instinctively called my husband instead of 911.  And I have a master’s degree and am an experienced paramedic.(Baby is now 5 and perfectly fine)

The other thing is depending on where they live, there may be a lot of public announcements on not going to the hospital, and they may have been unsure what to do.  People’s brains honestly just do not function logically in an emergency.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 7

More about this on IG today. It seems the MDs think this is reflux. I don’t think that Carlin ever mentioned whether or not LR has shown the more typical cues of reflux...the not wanting to swallow, not wanting to eat and taking forever to finish food, throwing the head back while eating, swishing up the face, color change in the face during eating, formula coming out of the nose, general discomfort during feeding. I continue to hope that LR is healthy and ultimately ok.

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2020 at 5:46 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

They tend to ask you what the nature of the emergency is and then dispatch appropriately. I've never had a fire truck required. The default is usually going to be the police.

When I overdosed and called myself in I got police and the ambulance. Ambulance services are dispatched independently to hospitals based on ER availability. Separate bill too. It was a fuzzy experience but I believe the police told them where to send me.

When I called and was broken down in the middle of a highway they sent 4 patrol cars very quickly, and a tow truck.

That all makes sense.. the least common call is probably for a fire truck.

Michigan here - When I gave birth in a car on the side of the road they sent 1 fire truck, three police cars, and lastly the ambulance. It was quite the roadside attraction lol.

My dad is a firefighter so I spent a lot of time at the station as a child and would hear the calls come in over the loud speaker - the fire dept. was regularly dispatched for many kinds of medical (non-fire) emergencies.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 2

nevermind

Edited by AliceInFundyland
this probably is all location dependent
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Here, infant CPR is a pretty new thing offered to parents. It also touches at common dangers as heat stroke, poison, burns .... I don’t know if parents with a baby that already had health concerns are offered a course (meaning it would be paid through their health insurance) or are at least suggested to take one. My daughters godmother made us take one together. It was nice but we have probably forgotten most of it by now.

I took an infant CPR class offered by my hospital (Chicago suburbs) 25 years ago before my first was born. I’m not at all medical or good in a crisis so I thought I could use all the help I could get.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I never gave it any thought to the firetruck being the first to arrive because the closest one is just up the street. So every time we called 911 for my mother they were always the first to arrive. Then the ambulance. 

I do wish I knew CPR when my mom started having her strokes and seizures I was always scared that I'd end up alone with her when she had one and would be unable to helper. It worked out all but the last time since he knew CPR while I called 911 and could be calmer talking to the 911 person. But still worry that if my dad has one I won't be able to help him. I don't have much strength in my hands so I don't know if I'd even be able do it if the 911 person was able to talk me through it. Well that and if he has one while my issues are still messed up I worry about being unable to help him due to that. While luckily that never happened during one of my mom's strokes or seizures there were a few times I couldn't help her because of them.

• Love 4

I had to learn infant CPR as a lifeguard, so despite having no kids I do know how to do it. But I wouldn't be especially surprised to hear that most parents have no idea. Interestingly, if kids take formal babysitting courses from the Red Cross they'll also be taught to do infant and child CPR.

But preparation and knowledge doesn't mean that everyone, even people who are properly trained, will in fact keep their heads in an emergency, even if they do get over the initial panic quickly.

• Upvote 9

I was a babysitter, a camp counselor, and now a teacher, so I learned adult, child, and infant CPR for all those positions. 

My high school required CPR as part of the PE curriculum, where I learned it as well. And in health class in 6th and 8 th grade .We practiced on these special baby dolls. Just now I am realizing that most people do not learn infant CPR. 

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, metheglyn said:

But preparation and knowledge doesn't mean that everyone, even people who are properly trained, will in fact keep their heads in an emergency, even if they do get over the initial panic quickly

I think you and @just_ordinary wrote a very important idea. People in shock are often blocked. 

There are some judgy posts about Carlin and Evan not reacting right. Which may be true, but who can act calm and cool when their little baby is not breathing.

When I took my CPR course I was already a mom. I was practising with a baby mannequin (is that the word?) and thinking I wouldn't be able to remember all of that if it was my real baby.

CPR is very important, but it's important to keep in mind that many people cannot act properly when in shock, no matter how trained they are. 

Once, my former husband called me (we were already divorced and I was remarried) because he was feeling very ill. I call the ambulance. Of course, he could have called the ambulance himself (was ill but could speak), but in extremely stresfull moments, brain is a fool.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

In most locations in the United States, the head of emergency services for a county is also the fire chief. Firefighters are also EMTs and many are Paramedics. From a 911 perspective, an ambulance, which many times is owned and operated by a private company, is called for transport purposes only after the situation is fully assessed by emergency services (fire).

Sometimes if it something like a shooting or clearly a medical issue requiring a trip to the hospital, the 911 dispatcher will call for an ambulance too. My mother was recently at her doctor's office and had a medical emergency. The doctor was on the phone with 911 and said to go ahead and send the ambulance, as he was admitting her to the hospital immediately. 

In some cases like choking that is easily resolved or chest pains that turn out to not be a heart issue, the EMTs and Paramedics will assess and advise whether or not the patient needs to be transferred. The patient (or in this case parents) can decide they still want to go to the hospital or they can elect to see a doctor as soon as they can get an appointment.

In terms of paying, EMS services are paid through tax dollars in the US. Ambulances are often paid out of insurance or out of pocket. That said, people who are calling EMS services more than necessary can end up being billed if a judge finds they abused the system. For example, a woman near where I live was calling 911 daily because her doctor told her to monitor and journal her blood pressure. He meant for her to use an at home monitor or to use the ones you find at the store. She was confused how to to do it herself and kept calling 911. She said after she was charged that she had been told a firefighter could do it. They can if you stop by the fire department.    

In terms of calling mom first, I will say I am almost guilty of that. In my situation I was visiting my parents home before going to an appointment. As I was unlocking the door, someone came up behind me and hit me to knock me aside and got into the house. I was able to back out and called 911 to report a strange person in their house. While on hold with 911 and waiting for the police, I picked up my work cell phone and called my mom. I was very freaked out by the whole thing. I also chased after the police to give them a key to the house because I didn't want them to break down the door. It's strange how your mind focuses on small things in an emergency.  

• Upvote 6

On 5/15/2020 at 2:38 PM, AussieKrissy said:

I don't get why the down votes for this. I have read in heaps of places where so many people in the USA will catch a taxi rather than call a ambulance because they can not afford the trip.  Perhaps readers did not get my meaning. 

• Upvote 11

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I don't get why the down votes for this. I have read in heaps of places where so many people in the USA will catch a taxi rather than call a ambulance because they can not afford the trip.  Perhaps readers did not get my meaning. 

An ambulance can cost thousands of dollars and easily destroy your savings. It’s a tough call, especially if one is uninsured.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

5 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

An ambulance can cost thousands of dollars and easily destroy your savings. It’s a tough call, especially if one is uninsured.

Yes I would hate to have to be in that position, finance or health?????? It's one thing to make that choice for your own health, but holding a loved one especially a baby....... It seems inhumane somehow. 

In Australia we are pretty lucky, I took out ambulance coverage for me and my daughter for $108 ish a year. I think it was on here that I read about a 20 grand (or more) amboflight and I was yeah nah I am getting insurance. Actually now I am bit paranoid that the yearly direct debit and in fact being covered for airflights.... off to check..... 

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic