IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 7: Grifter in Utero

GreyhoundFan

While we are on the topic of bad Bates girl names I’d like to bring Lexi Mae back to the forefront. It is a strong contender for least mature, Bates granddaughter name. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, I too am confused about why they are on a vacation when they were just on their honeymoon four months ago.

Im also pretty sure Carlin has that brand new iPhone. I’m not an expert because I’m always many generations behind on whatever phone brand I have, but she took a selfie the other day and it looked like the camera lens combo unique to the phone that came out a couple weeks ago.

I question myself sometimes when I find some of the more homesteading, old-fashioned quiverful fundies so much less annoying and snark worthy than the Bates fam. I think it’s stuff like this. This is not real life and it is certainly not fertile quiverful life. 

I do really believe (and hope) the wake up call and end of the gravy train is coming someday. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 2

I have no kids, but i think you need to consider whether your baby will be able to live with their name when they’re an adult. I had a coworker who regretted his kid’s name because it sounds juvenile. I expect he will have a nickname instead.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

When she was bragging about how much Evan works and studies at the same time (as electrician) someone asked her what she was doing then, i thought it was weird that she answered because the post was definetely snark and kinda rude but she replied that she works in her store Batessistersboutique. To be honest i wouldn be surprised if she actually makes more money with the boutique than he makes as an apprentice. The store seems to be doing great.

For me the worst Bates name is Warden Justice. It just sounds like a character in a childrens cartoon.

Edited by llucie
to add
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

From what I could tell, it looked like they are on vacation with Evan’s family. I saw his sister in the back of one of their Instagram stories. His parents probably invited them along for the trip, which is pretty normal for family vacations. Do they need another vacation? No, but since they’re all really family oriented, I’m not shocked that they’re going on vacation with his family. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

From what I could tell, it looked like they are on vacation with Evan’s family. I saw his sister in the back of one of their Instagram stories. His parents probably invited them along for the trip, which is pretty normal for family vacations. Do they need another vacation? No, but since they’re all really family oriented, I’m not shocked that they’re going on vacation with his family. 

But does he have the “vacation” time accrued to take more time away from work after having just had time off to get married? Or do they have enough money for him to take a leave? Any professional job my husband and I have had would not just allow us to be away, because the work place actually needed us to be there providing a service. These people have a baby on the way that they will need to provide for. This is not reality.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I don't mean to insult poor white people, I am talking about that very specific republic white trash brand that (here's the Alyssa connection) often reside in Florida lol 

Really, no push back on calling humans trash? Yes, I realize that it is a common stereotype name. But "brand" or not, does that mean that we have to buy into it and call people trash?

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

16 hours ago, SassyPants said:

But does he have the “vacation” time accrued to take more time away from work after having just had time off to get married? Or do they have enough money for him to take a leave? 

They may have gone for a weekend and a couple more days, which is not a big deal. But for Carvan, extended weekend does not sound interesting enough and have to use a bigger word like vacation.

I'm assuming that because if they are with his family, there's a lot of people with jobs and it's difficult all of them can have holidays at the same time. But a couple free days are easier to manage.

18 hours ago, llucie said:

For me the worst Bates name is Warden Justice. It just sounds like a character in a childrens cartoon.

Absolutely.

• Upvote 5

When I think of Warden Justice, I think of the very small town of Warden, Washington and the sheriff and a reality show called Warden Justice.

• Upvote 6

I'm on a social media break so I can't see the posts, but is this her "babymoon"? I definitely thought she'd be the type to take one.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 10/9/2019 at 12:27 PM, Charliemae said:

Naming girl children is such a minefield.  We should probably just value women more and care less about what name they were given at birth.  Really being named Lexie Mae has zip to do with someone's ability to be a supreme court justice. It's ingrained in our culture that we not only give girls these cutesy names, than we use that as an excuse so we don't have to take them seriously.  Maybe we could just put value where it resides, on the actual person

Agreed! There was a time when people probably thought that Marshas ["creative" spelling of Marcia], Ginnys [short form of Virigina or similar], Allysons [creative spelling of Allison, originally a last name/boy's name], Shelleys [seems kind of nicknamey to me, not sure the history], Nikis etc. did not have dignified-enough names for Congresswomen. Of course I picked all those off the list of female Congress members, 2003-2012.

So I'm sure in 20-40 years we'll have Britneys, Madisons, Addalyynns, Lexis etc. in Congress, as judges and doctors etc., and no one will bat an eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives#2003_to_2012

Added later: Shelley is an old surname. I should have thought of Percy Shelley, the poet!

Edited by PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea
looked up Shelley
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 2

@nolongerIFBx I have no problem calling people with horrible belief systems and manners trash -- hence why I tried to say I don't mean struggling financially = trash, it's the whole package (and rich people can just as often be trash as well, but they cover it with style, hence the "brand" of trash) it's all semantics

what word would you use, out of curiosity? (I am not trying to sound passive aggressive I promise)

• I Agree 1

Did anyone watch the show tonight? I was distracted by the Travel channel. For some reason a cow giving birth was more interesting than fundies planning a wedding that's already happened.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

Did anyone watch the show tonight? I was distracted by the Travel channel. For some reason a cow giving birth was more interesting than fundies planning a wedding that's already happened.

Totally valid IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I’ve watched part of it. So far there’s been gushing over Carlin’s product placement wedding venue and Kelly’s happy that Michael, Tori, and (Josie?) will be moving home soon.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

I have no problem calling people with horrible belief systems and manners trash

I think there is a different between calling their belief system trash and calling them trash. Dehumanizing people isn't okay. Trump and the republicans do it and that isn't okay. These are still people. People who hold horrific beliefs that cause unimaginable amounts of damage, but they are still humans. 

And for the Bates children,  I doubt any of them have actually thought deeply about what they believe and would reject any evidence against Trump and the GOP as "fake news". 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

@nolongerIFBx I have no problem calling people with horrible belief systems and manners trash -- hence why I tried to say I don't mean struggling financially = trash, it's the whole package (and rich people can just as often be trash as well, but they cover it with style, hence the "brand" of trash) it's all semantics

what word would you use, out of curiosity? (I am not trying to sound passive aggressive I promise)

I would refer to them as people with different beliefs than I have, or people who hold values that I disagree with/do not share. We can be respectful without advocating their beliefs just as we would wish that they would do the same. As I have told children many times when they protested that their biting or hitting was justified, "The other person's poor behavior does not give you the right to also behave badly."

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

On 10/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, nolongerIFBx said:

Really, no push back on calling humans trash? Yes, I realize that it is a common stereotype name. But "brand" or not, does that mean that we have to buy into it and call people trash?

I still cannot get my head around that whole post.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

@nolongerIFBx thank you for humbling me. I stand by my original post in meaning about religion being a facade that seemingly elevates them above that group, but I am contemplating how to easily describe the demographic I’m talking about without using the word trash. I would actually be interested to know how It’s described in academia/sociology 

• Upvote 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic