IGNORED

Justin Trudeau: Racist (trigger warning - blackface)

acheronbeach

Apologies if this is already being discussed.  I thought others might be interested in Justin Trudeau's shocking (IMO) history of blackface.  Videos and pictures of three separate blackface and brownface incidents have now arisen.  I believe that the last photo was from the early 2000's, when he was a teacher and a 29 year old adult (and definitely a time in history when Canadians - even small town teens like me - were generally aware that blackface was offensive).  

It's pretty disgusting, considering that his party has repeatedly suggested that Scheer is associated with white supremacy, with zero to little evidence.  It's pretty disgusting, considering that Trudeau based his entire platform on his special love and understanding of diversity.  But this, in addition to his Sikh cosplay in India, and his use of Jody WIlson-Reybould as a prop and a scapegoat, now makes me believe that Trudeau is a privileged user who sees women and POC's as a means bolster his own image.  

Jagmeet Singh spoke out in response and (IMO) he seemed genuinely distressed by Trudeau's actions.  And I think Andrew Scheer responded appropriately by telling Canadians to look to Jagmeet Singh's response - since Scheer hasn't faced that sort of racism in his life.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

There are no excuse for his actions. I am appalled. He was a freaking teacher when this happened.

I was a young teen in a very small farm town that's 99% white and there's no way anyone in my town would've publicly tried this shit unless they wanted labeled as a white supremacist (And some people WERE white supremacists, and it was viewed with general disgust). We knew what blackface was. No way was this a novel idea for a 29 year old teacher who grew up in the city.

• Upvote 5

Blackface is super wrong. I am so disapointed by this.

But I can add that as someone who grew up in French Canada (in a very French-speaking suburb of Montreal) I learned about blackface and its history in college. ONLY. I kid you not. Blackface is considered a part of US history and not French Canadian history here. (Which raises another question - Quebec history curriculums should talk more about the experience of marginalized people. Because there were racial minorities throughout Quebec's history and they should be talked about. But that is another issue I could rent on about for a long time).

I am not saying this should be an excuse though. Because in the end, I instructed myself: read on the subject, looked at historical footage, etc. And Trudeau should have known and read on it too by the time he was 29 years old.

My values are not in line with the Liberals. So it is not like they lost my vote with this scandal because they never really had it in the first place. I lean towards the left both socially and economically (I feel a bit of a political orphan in this election, for all kinds of reasons). But if I am honest with myself, I would have preferred another Trudeau government than the Conservatives at the moment. Not cheerfully, that is for sure. It would have been a lesser of two evils. Trudeau has a melodramatic side to him, he has not kept his promises on proportional representation (which I knew he wouldn't), he bought a freaking pipeline with our tax money (!), etc. I could continue on. But dang I thought he was sincere in his opinions about diversity and inclusion. Even last night, when only one picture had come out, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I thought to myself ''People can change and grow if being exposed to new things right?''. But now that more than one image has come out, I really don't know what to think. I'm at lost for words.

@acheronbeach You are right... he IS a priviledge white kid. The dude went to Montreal's most prestigious (and expensive) private school. He lived in the freaking Golden Square Mile. His father was a former Prime Minister. By the time he was a teen, he had traveled the world. He had met Margaret Tatcher, Fidel Castro and many more world leaders. He is not like ''everyone else''.

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 6

@Vivi_music This wasn't Trudeau as some sheltered little Quebecois.  This was at West Point Grey, after Trudeau had lived in Vancouver for years.  Then again, I've heard that West Point Grey has a culture of treating minorities badly, so maybe Trudeau was just part of the racist crowd.  That said, from a common sense perspective, you'd think that a fully grown adult might ask themselves, "Is the idea of me looking like a minority really that hilarious?"

Either way, what's most reprehensible is that Trudeau's known about these blackface incidents, yet the Liberals accused Scheer of being the white supremacist... repeatedly and without any apparent evidence.  

• Upvote 5

@acheronbeach Believe me, I agree with you that Trudeau is a priviledge rich boy. It shows lack of judgment.

The question of history curriculums interest me because I am an aspiring history teacher. I hate the fact a lot of things are not tought in dept to kids. It is not normal that the first real anti-racist educators I had were teachers in college, which is not accessible to all. Not to mention I find we have a FREAKING real racism problem in Quebec, on a TON of subjects and history could be a good place to start. So my rent about that was also related to my own reflections and thoughts on my own academic discipline.

A full grown adult especially one of his social class, does have access to ressources and knowledge. I know I educated myself on the subject even if it was not thought to me because anti-racist values are important to me. Which clearly shows Trudeau did not do the same and that speaks volume. If inclusion was really an important value for him, he should have at least been attentive to such part of history.

Oh boy... the more I read about politicians, the more I think I'll end up going full blown anarchist. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I realize I'm trivializing this, but I can't stop wondering, WTF was even up with the makeup for his "Aladdin" costume? If he was trying to imitate the 1992 Disney movie, he would barely need to get a spray tan. Seriously, what was he using in that pic, shoe polish?!?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I was never a Justin fan, mostly because he always came across as a lightweight.  Like he wanted to be part of politics for the prestige and photo ops, rather than having any depth of knowledge or opinion.  This whole episode just sends my low opinion of him even lower.  

I'm about 5 years older than him.  You know how many times I've dressed up in blackface in my life?  Zero. I don't recall a single time anybody I know ever did it.  What the hell kind of stupid life is he living where he appeared in blackface at least 3 times?  Wtf! I'm don't come from such a "priveledged" background, but I did go to a private school and I know lots of other people who did too. Same basic age group and NONE of us missed that blackface is offensive. (Not saying I haven't seen racism among my peers, just that nobody pulled out the shoe polish and thought it was OK to go out like that.)  Anybody that pulled that shit once would have been greeted with stunned and appalled faces and asked to go wash it off. Would have been a big deal.  No way that someone would have done it again after that. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

@PreciousPantsofDoom There's a Global News article that has come out since I posted this topic where several parents at the Academy said that blackface was totally cool back then and totally not racist because nobody complained or stopped it and nobody set out to offend.  Oh, and school administrators came out to say blackface was totally ok back then. 

Um... that's not how racism works.  West Point Grey parents and staff - you are racists, whether you "intend" to be or not. 

Global Article 

• Upvote 6

"Back then?" If Justin Trudeau really grew up in a time before most whites knew that blackface is offensive, he's incredibly well-preserved, because that would make him  about 90.

• I Agree 8

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a poor decision if there were just one photo.  But three? That's a pattern of behaviour.  IMO that says he either finds it funny and/or appropriate.  

What gets me is everyone giving him a pass.  I think people are so scared of a Conservative win that they're excusing his behaviour.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Christ.  Now it's being reported that Trudeau invited Faith Goldy out for drinks in 2012 in Ottawa after a political event.  Trudeau's camp says it's a lie, but it's been corroborated by another woman who was there who no longer has any connection to Goldy and who does not work in politics.  

Remember Faith Goldy?  She's a white nationalist.  IIRC, the Liberals suggested that the Conservatives - namely Scheer and McCaffrey - had similar leanings because of their encounters with Goldy when she was a reporter for Rebel Media (before she outed herself as a racist), and because she showed up to a rally Scheer was at.   

Once again, it looks like by Trudeau's own public yardstick, he behaved far worse than his opponents.  Yet, bafflingly, he was the one who pointed fingers and alleged racism.  It's mind-bogglingly dumb and hypocritical.  I just don't understand.  

ETA: I feel so badly for Jagmeet Singh right now.  As this all plays out, he seems to be genuinely saddened and taking a principled stand.  I hope it's increases support for the NDP.  

Edited by acheronbeach
thoughts about Jagmeet Singh
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, thoughtful said:

"Back then?" If Justin Trudeau really grew up in a time before most whites knew that blackface is offensive, he's incredibly well-preserved, because that would make him  about 90.

Way back in the dark times of 2001. I mean, those were dark times for different reasons (looking at you, cargo pants and crop tops). It was definitely not ok then. I knew it wasn’t ok in 1987 when my cousins wore blackface for Halloween (we were 6-8). 

• Upvote 5