IGNORED

Melanie Maxwell Baby Update: Deborah Carol Is Here

mango_fandango

In my opinion the main question is: will Deborah be Melanie's last child? I thought Benjamin was going to be last one, but now odds are really high considering her age and her usual gaps between pregnancies. 

By the way, how old is Kyle? Is Elissa pregnant again? At that point, my only (little) hope for a mainstream life in Maxwellville is for Joseph and Elissa. Not less fundie, of course, but at least worldy enough so their children can enjoy their childhood. A bit.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

In my opinion the main question is: will Deborah be Melanie's last child? I thought Benjamin was going to be last one, but now odds are really high considering her age and her usual gaps between pregnancies. 

By the way, how old is Kyle? Is Elissa pregnant again? At that point, my only (little) hope for a mainstream life in Maxwellville is for Joseph and Elissa. Not less fundie, of course, but at least worldy enough so their children can enjoy their childhood. A bit.

Kyle turned 1 in March. Kyle and Calia are almost 2.5 years apart. Let’s hope they keep up with that spacing and she isn’t pregnant yet. 

• Upvote 11

On 5/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Hane said:

I’m screwed then: one meaning of my name is “gift of God.”with

I'm right with you there, my name means "pure."

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Granwych said:

I'm right with you there, my name means "pure."

My middle name means that, too. :my_biggrin:

• Haha 2

Oh Wow, I think we three have the same name. Small world

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, griffin said:

Oh Wow, I think we three have the same name. Small world

Or at least, we may have similar names. I think mine might be kind of a variant of another name.

• Upvote 1

My middle name is Marjorie after my great-grandma. It’s a variant of Margaret which means pearl. I was not harvested from a clam, so I can never live up to that name. 

• Haha 14

@mango_fandango, because I am a horrible person, if you were born vaginally one *could* say you were harvested from a...never mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

On 5/27/2019 at 9:52 PM, PennySycamore said:

@MamaJunebug,  if someone is going to use the name Caroline, for pete's sake, they should pronounce it properly:  Care-o-line.  If you're going to pronounce it Carolyn, spell it that way.

It always bugged me on Little House on the Prairie how almost every character on mispronounced Caroline as Carolyn.  I think the only character who pronounced it correctly was Harriet Oleson. 

I think the pronunciation of names ending in "line" shifts with time and location. I have one but it's pronounced as a short i because...I dunno, it's not the stressed syllable? (Think Jacqueline, I don't know anyone who says it like "line" at the end.)

They are of course originally French names so back in the day would have sounded like "leen" (or in Quebec, "lin"). Here in Canada we often default to that if we assume someone is a Francophone. So I'd probably pronounce Jacqueline or Clementine or Celine or whatever with a  "lin" or "leen" especially if the last name looks French.

This is all to say, English pronunciation rules reflect all the languages that English stole from and they're less rules than, um, suggestions :):)

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I think the pronunciation of names ending in "line" shifts with time and location. I have one but it's pronounced as a short i because...I dunno, it's not the stressed syllable? (Think Jacqueline, I don't know anyone who says it like "line" at the end.)

They are of course originally French names so back in the day would have sounded like "leen" (or in Quebec, "lin"). Here in Canada we often default to that if we assume someone is a Francophone. So I'd probably pronounce Jacqueline or Clementine or Celine or whatever with a  "lin" or "leen" especially if the last name looks French.

This is all to say, English pronunciation rules reflect all the languages that English stole from and they're less rules than, um, suggestions :):)

Wychling's name ends in "ine" and it's pronounced "een.".  

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Granwych, @griffin and @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?,  I know a name (and its variants) which means "pure".  I'm not going to mention what it is but I named one of my girls that name.  Unless there's another name that means pure and that's what you three have!

My name's the Scandinavian version of "pure.".   Pure meaning, I have no idea unless it reiterates that I'm a pure PIA.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Granwych, @griffin and @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?,  I know a name (and its variants) which means "pure".  I'm not going to mention what it is but I named one of my girls that name.  Unless there's another name that means pure and that's what you three have!

I found quite a list of names meaning "pure" on this website:

http://www.meaning-of-names.com/search/index.asp?nm=pure&stype=1

My middle name is originally from Greek, and I seem to recall that it's the same as your daughter's, or similar. 

My brother was named for our dad and both our grandfathers. My oldest sibling's middle name was our grandma's middle name, but he changed it when he legally changed his name and gender. (Thank goodness he was born in a state that allows the change from female to male on his birth certificate.) My sister's middle name is a diminutive of our mom's name. By the time my parents were picking a name for #4 (me!), they just picked a 2 names they liked, that sound nice together. I'm just me!

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
punctuation
  • Upvote 4

@PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea,  Caroline had traditionally been pronounced in English with the last syllable with a long "i" to rhyme with line.  It definitely was pronounced Care-o-line in the late 1800s.  Even more recently, we've had Caroline Kennedy, daughter of President Kennedy.  Caroline Kennedy is a couple of years younger than me and she's a Care-o-line.  Her late sister-in-law was a Carolyn -Carolyn Bessette Kennedy.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea,  Caroline had traditionally been pronounced in English with the last syllable with a long "i" to rhyme with line.  It definitely was pronounced Care-o-line in the late 1800s.  Even more recently, we've had Caroline Kennedy, daughter of President Kennedy.  Caroline Kennedy is a couple of years younger than me and she's a Care-o-line.  Her late sister-in-law was a Carolyn -Carolyn Bessette Kennedy.

I think you'd see some variation even in the 1880s. I also suspect names that have been used in English longer acquire the long I. Seems like Latin and Greek names get it over time.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of names have different pronunciations depending on country as well. My name is a prime example of this! The general European pronunciation is “cloud-ia”, as in the white fluffy things in the sky. The English pronunciation is more “claw-dia”, like what cats have. I’ve not heard many American people say my name (and of course there are regional variations). But an American person would pronounce the “claw” bit differently to an English person, so there’s that too. 

(Hope this all makes sense haha)

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:02 PM, PennySycamore said:

My daughter also has a variant of a name that means “pure.”

• Upvote 2

On 5/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

they're less rules than, um, suggestions :):)

“More like guidelines, really.”

—Capt. Jack Sparrow

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2019 at 8:00 PM, VVV said:

And then you wait fifteen or sixteen years until your daughter's more trendily-named friends convince her that she has an old lady name, so from then on you get to hear your daughter complain on a daily basis about how much she hates her name. No amount of explaining that (a) it's a beautiful classic name with a long tradition behind it; (b) it goes well with a last name that unfortunately has a rhyming last syllable with many otherwise nice female names; (c) if she hates it that much she's welcome to choose one of the two or three dozen nicknames associated with that name; or (d) she's also free to use her (classic, not-trendy) middle name, has so far succeeded in stopping the endless name-whining and threats to change it when she's 18.

Honestly, as the person who chose that name in the first place, the entire litany is not only tiresome, it's hurtful.

No disrespect intended. Having a name that has been turned into a punchline is not my parents' fault in any way.  But is has turned into just that, a punchline. Nobody thinks that Ben Franklin's wife was named Deborah or that Deborah was the name in the bible. A lot of us were named after two big movie stars of the era and therein lies the problem. My friends who are my age who have classic names after literary characters, their names hold up.

BTW, my son complains about his name and I am not butthurt about it.  We elected to call him by his middle name which has led to mass confusion he says. He has every right to go to court and correct it and I don't mind at all.

I think most children complain about their first, middle, or last name at some point in their lives. I was teased for my last name because it sounds like another word that is not a very nice word. So I often complained. I also complained about how popular my first name was. I was so tired of getting mixed up with the two other girls in my class with the same name. I actually started spelling my name “creatively” at the age of 13 to set myself apart. It didn’t work and I gave that up within a few months. The spelling was atrocious by the way. That’s why I often associate “creative spellings” to young parents. And I’m not talking Kelly vs Kelli. I’m talking Elizabeth vs Ahlizzybythe. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 8:33 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I actually started spelling my name “creatively” at the age of 13 to set myself apart. It didn’t work and I gave that up within a few months. The spelling was atrocious by the way. That’s why I often associate “creative spellings” to young parents. And I’m not talking Kelly vs Kelli. I’m talking Elizabeth vs Ahlizzybythe. 

This reminds me of the time I worked the front desk at the local gym. Someone came in to sign up and spelled out her name: A-M-E-L-E-I-G-H-A-H.

Took me like five minutes to realize the pronunciation. 

• Haha 6

I've gone by my nickname pretty much my whole life.  The first time I went to college, I tried to be all official and go by my given first name...it didn't work because I never remembered to respond, I always thought people were talking to someone else.  :pb_lol:

I spent a lifetime spelling out my maiden name for people (it's short but easily misunderstood).  It got to the point that by about age 10 I just automatically spelled it out after I said it.  I was SO happy to be rid of it when I married.

• Upvote 1

In middle school, I briefly spelled my name “Jain,” but then stopped when I learned about the religion Jainism and didn’t want to be blasphemous, even though I was Catholic.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, PennySycamore said:

Caroline is my first name...although it's not what my mother wanted. My father vetoed the Spanish variant. Then there's my 9 letter first middle name, my 5 letter second middle name, 6 letter first last name (my mother's maiden name) and 11 letter second last name (incredibly German). I was 18" long at birth and my name was even longer. I only use my first, first middle and married last name now. My original driver's license took something like 4 lines to put my whole name on. 

NOBODY pronounces my first name correctly. It's pronounced just like it's spelled. It's not Carolyn, Caroleen, or any of that other shit. CAR-O-LINE. it's not fucking rocket science. It's not even a fucking foreign language. And, I hate it with a bloody blue passion. Anybody who names their kid that needs to be taken out behind the barn and beaten until they change their minds (I'll do it). 

• Upvote 4

My name is Hawai'ian . It's Kaile.

I'll let everyone try to pronounce that.

Nope not Kay-lee, Ki-lee, Kay-la or any variation. Definitely not Kahl or Kale.

It's Ki-la (or as a friend in middle school would write, Ky-luh) The only time aa stranger pronounced it right was at the Honolulu DMV. Every teacher, every sub, every employer, every parent of my students, every student that was at an age where they coud read, every customer ever has pronounced it wrong. I had teachers for four years that couldn't pronounce it right.

I had such a hard time growing up that by the end of middle school start of high school I tried to go with Kaila as the spelling. Still didn't help people get it right but it was slightly closer for mainland haoles (white people) to pronounce. I did this until a the leader of my group of of friends (mostly very smart kind of quirky and dorky like  into Latin Club and Model UN, yet somehow very popular at my large city high school) found the attendance sheet for a class with my name spelled Kaile and they decided to "out" me so to speak, refusing to spell my name with an a and almost shaming me for trying. They had the right idea but as a girl who was pretty traumatized by being over 6 feet tall at age 11 and having 'a hard foreign name to pronounce I was mortified, for being shamed for trying to fit in in the smallest way possible. I'm very outgoing now but back then I was painfully shy, until I was about 16 and became much much more outgoing (and much more of a troublemaker)

I'm 31 now and really proud of my Hawai'iaan heritage. I'm proud to be half kanaka. I'm proud of my ohana. But yeah I've had a hell of a time with my name. It still comes up daily. Often multiple times. Just introducing myself to tables (I'm a server) I  have to go through the name thing, how unique it is, having people try and fail to read my name tag, etc. etc. It's tiresome but not as absolutely mortifying as it was when I was younger.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

As I said in a previous, my name is Leigh. Its an English name and I live in England, therefore you would assume it would be fairly simple... *sigh*. At the hospital a few weeks ago I was called twice by 2 different nurses for 2 separate procedures. One called me Leah, the other called me Light. ? I give up.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1