IGNORED

2020: The Two Year Long Election

Cartmann99

If the dems can’t unify somewhat and offer a centrist option they're going to hand Trump 4 more years.

and I will blame every fucking one of them. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

If the dems can’t unify somewhat and offer a centrist option they're going to hand Trump 4 more years.

I agree. 

That said, IT'S FUCKING MARCH OF 2019. TAKE YOUR HATS OUT OF THE FUCKING RING AND CALL ME IN JANUARY OF 2020!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Serious, honest question. Why would they need to offer a centrist option, if the majority of Americans isn't centrist? I agree with you if the majority are indeed centrists. But is that really so? To clarify, I'm not questioning the opinion, but the premise that it's based on, namely that the majority is centrist. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Why would they need to offer a centrist option, if the majority of Americans isn't centrist?

They wouldn't.   they need to appeal to mainstream voters...its my belief that most Americans are neither far right nor far left.

I'm certainly open to being wrong if the numbers don't bear out my experience.

• Upvote 8

The way I see it, there is a far Right and far left group of True Believers, one that wholeheartedly believes in every one of the planks in the platform that their party has. Then, you have a group of Democrats and Republicans who are reliable to vote for their party in the general election, but disagrees with some of their party's beliefs. I believe the need for a centrist candidate was mentioned because we have a strong contingent of Independents (not registered Democrat or Republican) that are strongly courted in the general elections, especially for President. These are more likely to choose a centrist candidate, but not always. In my mind, the disenfranchised blue collar Independents, especially the males, went for the Orange Disaster in the last election. A centrist candidate is more likely to influence more of the Independents.

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Serious, honest question. Why would they need to offer a centrist option, if the majority of Americans isn't centrist? I agree with you if the majority are indeed centrists. But is that really so? To clarify, I'm not questioning the opinion, but the premise that it's based on, namely that the majority is centrist. 

There really isn't any data to back up the idea that your average American is a "centrist", it's mainly an old canard that comes up on cable news so they can keep up the charade that both sides of our political divide have merit (and to keep the billionaires who own them happy as well). 

The fact is that progressive ideas are widely popular across the country, even among self identified Republican voters. 70% of voters support a single payer universal healthcare system (including 51% of Republicans) or Medicare for all.  6 out of 10 Americans (58%) support increasing the minimum wage. 51% of Americans agree with taxing income above 10 million at 70%, while 61% support a 2% wealth tax on assets over 50 million. Two out of three Americans support legalizing marijuana. 81% of Americans support The Green New Deal. 

Our greatest challenge is inspiring people to go from being non-voters to voters, not appealing to some mythical centrist voter who straddles the line between Democrat and Republican.  We've run centrist candidates in recent presidential campaigns and they lose because they don't get people to the polls.  Most people in this country are struggling to get by as it is, and if your campaign message for them is 'Better things aren't possible, all you can hope for is the status quo' then yeah, it's going to cause them to tune out of politics. 

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1

10 hours ago, milkteeth said:

There really isn't any data to back up the idea that your average American is a "centrist", it's mainly an old canard that comes up on cable news so they can keep up the charade that both sides of our political divide have merit (and to keep the billionaires who own them happy as well). 

The fact is that progressive ideas are widely popular across the country, even among self identified Republican voters. 70% of voters support a single payer universal healthcare system (including 51% of Republicans) or Medicare for all.  6 out of 10 Americans (58%) support increasing the minimum wage. 51% of Americans agree with taxing income above 10 million at 70%, while 61% support a 2% wealth tax on assets over 50 million. Two out of three Americans support legalizing marijuana. 81% of Americans support The Green New Deal. 

Our greatest challenge is inspiring people to go from being non-voters to voters, not appealing to some mythical centrist voter who straddles the line between Democrat and Republican.  We've run centrist candidates in recent presidential campaigns and they lose because they don't get people to the polls.  Most people in this country are struggling to get by as it is, and if your campaign message for them is 'Better things aren't possible, all you can hope for is the status quo' then yeah, it's going to cause them to tune out of politics. 

I will hit your links later, I just have a second but I don’t know how 81% of people can support something that has no numbers or details behind it yet.

support in theory for sure, but that’s very different from backing an actual policy proposal.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Yahoo News  is reporting that Beto O'Rourke is in! According to the article, he will formally announce tomorrow.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/beto-o-rourke-jumping-into-2020-presidential-race-235309920.html

Beto O’Rourke was born to run ... for president.

The former Texas congressman confirmed Wednesday that he will enter the 2020 race for the Democratic presidential nomination, according to a Fox News television affiliate based in El Paso, Texas.

O'Rourke confirmed his plan to formally announce his candidacy on Thursday morning to El Paso NBC affiliate KTSM.

“I’m really proud of what El Paso did and what El Paso represents. It’s a big part of why I’m running,” O’Rourke told KTSM in a text message.

Earlier in the day, Vanity Fair magazine published a story on O’Rourke’s thinking on whether to enter the crowded Democratic field.

“I’m just born to do this,” O’Rourke told the magazine.

• Upvote 5

Yep, it's official. He's running. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

Gotta admit, I'm practically salivating at the thought of Beto debating Fuckface Von Clownstick.

BRING. IT. ON.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 3/12/2019 at 9:17 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I will hit your links later, I just have a second but I don’t know how 81% of people can support something that has no numbers or details behind it yet.

support in theory for sure, but that’s very different from backing an actual policy proposal.

Not to mention that the proposal, as it currently exists, is both ridiculous and impossible. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

37 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

I'm practically salivating at the thought of Beto debating Fuckface Von Clownstick.

I have a feeling that Trump is going to refuse to debate anyone. He struggled last time with debates and I'm sure he will have a more difficult time now.

Of all the people running I think Beto has the best chance of inspiring voters and beating our Orange monster. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

4 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Yep, it's official. He's running. 

Scene:

It's Spring Break, the local science fair is finally over, and I've been taking a very needed mental health break from the world of politics and spending time with Mr. Cartmann99. I'm laying in bed seriously studying the inside of my eyelids, when this knocking noise infiltrates my head. I finally wake up enough to realize it's my phone telling me I've got a text message, so I grab my phone to see what's going on. I see that the "Beto for Texas" folks have texted me to say Beto is running for POTUS! :happy-wavemulticolor: 

Thank you Rufus and Chuck, I think I'm ready to engage with the world of politics once again. :pb_biggrin:

Bless his heart, Lyin' Ted can't run this time around or the Trumphumping morons will come after him with pitchforks and torches.

Thoughts and prayers jackass, thoughts and prayers. *chuckles evilly*

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I have a feeling that Trump is going to refuse to debate anyone. He struggled last time with debates and I'm sure he will have a more difficult time now.

Of all the people running I think Beto has the best chance of inspiring voters and beating our Orange monster. 

If he does debate, he will talk in circles saying basically nothing, just like he does now.

• Upvote 13

Looks like my man is finally in the race. Beto 2020 baby!

But seriously, I think that not only does he have the best chance of defeating Trump, but the best chance at uniting the country under a progressive message after so much division. I truly think he's the best person for the job right now. 

He reminds me so much of Obama, both Kennedys, and even Roosevelt and Lincoln. I know that might sound like an exaggeration, but I've been thinking that ever since he ran against Cruz. He's got that spark that a few great progressive politicians have. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

A bit off topic but thought you guys would appreciate this picture. 

It was taken at the youth march against climate change, today in London.

I don't know who he is but my heart beams with pride for him and the others who are fighting for their future.

20190315_130740.jpg

Edited by Gemini
Spelling
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 6

This is the GOP. This is what they believe is the best way to beat a perceived opponent. It's not about policies. It's not about the Constitution. It's not about the rule of law. It's not even about family values.

Nope. It's making awkwardly ridiculous, unfunny and awfully racist stereotypical memes.

• Disgust 2
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 3

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

This is the GOP. This is what they believe is the best way to beat a perceived opponent. It's not about policies. It's not about the Constitution. It's not about the rule of law. It's not even about family values.

Nope. It's making awkwardly ridiculous, unfunny and awfully racist stereotypical memes.

As someone with a bunch of Irish ancestors, the GOP is cordially invited to go fuck themselves repeatedly with an assortment of rusty farm implements. :angry-cussingblack:

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 5

• GreyhoundFan locked and unpinned this topic