IGNORED

Magnitude 7.0 earthquake hits Alaska, tsunami warnings in place

fraurosena

I hope all FJ-Alaskans are safe. Please take care and heed all warnings, and let us know how you fare!

More info:

CNN has running coverage here:

The photos are scarring! Can't immagine how scary it is. 

Be safe everyone and check with us when you can

I remember the big earthquake Anchorage had in 1964.  It was magnitude 9.2 and is known as the Good Friday earthquake.  My mom had a cousin who lived in Anchorage at that time.  I hope that no lives were lost this time around.  Anchorage should be in better shape this time around since, hopefully, building codes should have been updated to reflect that Anchorage is prone to earthquakes.

Thanks everyone! There is serious damage to infrastructure and buildings, and a couple of fires, but I haven't heard any reports of injuries or fatalities. I cleaned up my house and went into work a few hours late, now I'm cleaning up the office. The commute wasn't too bad, but the radio makes it sound like we are in the end times. 

Update: There have been 8 fires, lots of building damage, but no injuries or fatalities. Most of the damage is transportation related. Liquor stores seem to be hit the hardest and most are closed. Long lines appear in front of the ones that are open. People are buying up bottled water and toilet paper, as there is a boil notice in place for the city (we're on a community well, so I'm not affected) and internet rumors are rampant. A State of Emergency has been declared. Donald Trump has pledged support, but I'm certain he's unaware than Anchorage is "only" 62% white non-Hispanic. 

I'm really lucky I guess, because my area is basically unaffected. The damage to my office building is much worse than my house - we only lost a bunch of stuff we didn't really need anyway. The office has actual cracks in walls and drywall dust everywhere, and some ceiling tiles fell down. There weren't even any lights out on my way to work. (One was out on my way home, due to the one way streets that the city planners in the 80s put in). Buildings didn't collapse or crumble (that I know of), just a few roads. Surprisingly there were no fatalities or injuries from collapses or fires. Gas lines did break, as did water pipes. 

@Maggie Mae I am glad things are relatively in hand, you are well and our fearless leader is on call.

Now, for a random question.... the past few times we have had shocks down here...the pets have gone amuckety. Even though the rumbles have been unnoticeable. Did your duo know something was up right beforehand? 

(((My down here is relative to Maggie’s. I’m in Portland, OR metro area. We have been getting 3.0-5.0 shocks up and down the Pacific Coast for awhile. There could be a crazy-big quake anywhere in the Pacific Northwest pretty much anytime. There are fascinating and disturbing articles about it. Portland could be pretty clusterfucked by a 7.0.  Our preparedness is not great.)))

5 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

@Maggie Mae I am glad things are relatively in hand, you are well and our fearless leader is on call.

Now, for a random question.... the past few times we have had shocks down here...the pets have gone amuckety. Even though the rumbles have been unnoticeable. Did your duo know something was up right beforehand? 

My cat slept through most of it, then wanted to go out, but I was like "no" have some temptations, and he calmed right down. The bird was less pleased. His cage moved and all of the frames in his room fell off the wall. He was unhappy, to put it lightly. He and I both felt all of the aftershocks - even when others didn't. 

My friend said her cat just purred while she held him, and the dog flipped out. 

Poor fella. His innate avian instincts were probably like “get me the fuck off the ground and out of this box.” 

We have not heard anything at all here in the Tulsa area.  I missed the first few minutes of the news at 5:00 but if they mentioned it during that time, it was only a couple of minutes.  I hope that everyone is ok.

I happened to see a short report from CNN where they played the air traffic control audio from the moment the earthquake hit. Starts with a guy frantically calling for a FedEx plane on final approach to go around, followed by someone basically saying "we just had an earthquake, everybody hold." 

That has to be super scary. Hope everyone's ok and the cleanup isn't too crazy. 

@Maggie Mae,  your bird's cage reminded of a time when our parakeet. Mr Tumnus, was scared out of his wits by a large tree falling across the street.  I think he fell off his perch he was so scared.  I'm glad you and your crew are OK.  Stay safe in the aftermath!

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Poor fella. His innate avian instincts were probably like “get me the fuck off the ground and out of this box.” 

The weirdest thing about the cage is how much he loves it. We used to just let him hang out on his stand all the time, but there's some research that non flocked birds feel safer in cages. Weird, right? 

We get a lot of earthquakes, and he's fallen off his perch a few times. He probably would have flown off if given the opportunity, as yeah, his instincts would be "i don't like it, fly away"  

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a single raven today. 

15 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Maggie Mae,  your bird's cage reminded of a time when our parakeet. Mr Tumnus, was scared out of his wits by a large tree falling across the street.  I think he fell off his perch he was so scared.  I'm glad you and your crew are OK.  Stay safe in the aftermath!

I LOVE your parakeet's name! 

It's always hilarious when they fall off their perches. (For us, not for for them).

Thank you! 

@PennySycamore That is an awesome name. Up there with Snorpi.

When Scooby, the current conure (now residing with Mom) hurt his wing... the best solution was to keep him sedated. So that involved a window of trial and error where we ended up putting a perch down low in the cage. Because, yeah, he kept falling off. He loved the drugs.

.... That vet was not an avian vet, but so resourceful. They usually flavored them with meat stuff. That was no good. Peanut butter morphine tho! Whoo boy. He also managed to xray his wing via a contraption. He was a total cat/dog guy in rural Oregon. My ex dealt with him and I was out of town. Great man. He handled my ex and the bird.

@Maggie Mae and @Alice in Fundieland,  my husband named Mr Tumnus because he liked CS Lewis' science fiction/ fantasty books.  Mt Tumnus is the fawn that Lucy runs into when she first goes to Narnia.  Snorpi was just a still scrambled Jumble word that I gave to a Maine Coon kitten that I was fostering.  I could not remember what name from Harry Potter my daughters had named the kittens so I named them Jumble words.

The other kittens were Jumble-named Ingard and Whyso with HP names of Padfoot and Prongs.  Snorpi was Moony.  Whyso was very weak and died after a few days so it was fitting that he should be named after James Potter's animagus.  One of my daughters has Ingard, but he's called Tom now.  Ingard unscrambles to Daring which he definitely was (and still is).  At 10 days of age, with his eyes still closed, he crawled out of the culvert were they were living, up the side of the ditch to the side of the street where my neighbor found them.  

@PennySycamore I know the Snorpi story now ;) I’m probably going to be responsible for you retelling it several more times.

I like Mr. Tumnus for a small bird. They are so lively and full of character, much like the namesake.

Pet naming is so much more fun than baby naming. That’s probably my unpopular opinion of the day.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:34 PM, Maggie Mae said:

The weirdest thing about the cage is how much he loves it. We used to just let him hang out on his stand all the time, but there's some research that non flocked birds feel safer in cages. Weird, right? 

We get a lot of earthquakes, and he's fallen off his perch a few times. He probably would have flown off if given the opportunity, as yeah, his instincts would be "i don't like it, fly away"  

Come to think of it, I haven't seen a single raven today. 

I LOVE your parakeet's name! 

It's always hilarious when they fall off their perches. (For us, not for for them).

Thank you! 

I think it was the last big earthquake we had, big being a relative term and not anywhere near what Alaska had!, there is video from the doppler weather radar of the local area.  The second it hit, all the birds in the entire area that the radar covered took off.  It looks really neat, nothing unusual and then suddenly the entire area is green because they showed up on radar like a sudden cloud.  Then they all settled back down.

4 minutes ago, Howl said:

I think the scariest part would be the relentless aftershocks!  Hope everything has settled down. 

2,888 and counting. We had two significant ones just a couple hours ago, one minute apart. App said 4.8 and 4.1, but it felt a bit stronger. And my office is creepy and old and has cracks in most of the drywall. 

Archived