IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren 12: Usual Duggar Social Media and Drift

HerNameIsBuffy

7 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

That’s a great idea about the sticker. You can’t mess around with head injuries. I remember an incident in high school where two girls collided and bumped heads during a soccer game. One girl left the game in an ambulance for a possible concussion. The other girl seemed fine and kept playing and went to school the next day. In of the morning periods she all of a sudden put her head down on the desk and said she was dizzy and tired. Luckily the teacher happened to be a nurse as well and knew exactly what was happening. She left the class for medical treatment but I still don’t understand how no adult suggested that she be checked immediately. Can any health professionals weigh in? 

Natasha Richardson hit her head skiing, felt fine and then died. head injuries are not to be dismissed. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

I don't care if a doctor is male or female. I do care if they listen, take me and my concerns into account, and are competent.

Our GP and my OBGYN are male. Supremely happy with the two of them.

Our dentist is female. She's brilliant.

Our pediatrician is female. I cannot stand her. She seems competent enough, but does not listen, never remembers anything about our child or previous appointments, and is always "sooo busy" that she hardly pays attention to us before rushing us out of the practice. Due to her behaviour, I don't really trust her and take everything she says with a grain of salt. We're trying to change, but none of the doctors we called so far are taking new patients :(

That is all I really want in a doctor. I don't care if its male or female. I just want the doctor to listen to me and my concerns. And not blow me off. I've been blown off so many times when I had serious problems that need help. Regular doctors, ER doctors.  

When I finally got into the gastro doctor. He listened. For the first time in five years I had a doctor listen to my problems. Ask questions and say yes there is clearly a problem. I can't tell you how great it felt to hear a doctor say that. He ran a few tests and found the problem. 

My current doctor honestly I wasn't expecting him to do anything. I've I've been told nicely to seek therapy. I've been told rudely to seek therapy and stop coming to the ER because they had patients with real problems.  All the while I went from being a normal person to being to needing a caretaker. From walking into a wheelchair. Or kept telling me I was fine. All my blood work was coming back fine. Or so they kept saying. My current doctor the first appointment my dad and I were so shocked when he not only asked questions but read my entire medical file while we were there and asked questions from it. He did blood work and said yes there is a problem. I cried finally to have someone who listens. He doesn't know what the problem is. But he's trying. We've tried so many different drugs. No my blood work didn't come back normal. It came back with so many problems iron problems, anemia, he told me I was only four numbers away from needing a blood transfusion. There were so many other things. He's worked hard to get those back up. I've told him so many times how great it is that he is trying. He even got me into a rheumatologist. My last doctor kept lying that she was going to send me to one. I keep praying she's still practicing medicine when I get my diagnosis I really want to go back and tell her off. 

My GP is female. When I switched from my old GP who was about to retire to this one, I had the choice of male or female and I decided that I was more comfortable with a female GP. That being said, my OB, for my first child and for the one I'm currently growing, is male. He was fine. I didn't have any real complaints. I wanted to deliver at a particular hospital and my old GP was making this difficult for a bunch of reasons so it was either go with this particular OB or go somewhere else. But there are both male and female doctors in that practice so I saw a female doctor a couple of times while he was on vacation and it was actually a completely different (also male) doctor who delivered my son. Typically, your doctor for delivery is whoever is on call so even if I wanted a female doctor I might have had a male one for the actual delivery. My most important criteria is that they are understanding and helpful. My old GP was female and she was kind of useless. It's good she retired.

9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Natasha Richardson hit her head skiing, felt fine and then died. head injuries are not to be dismissed. 

So did my aunt. She fell in the shower and hit her head. Went to the ER everything was fine. But when her friend went to check on her the next morning she was dead. 

8 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

So did my aunt. She fell in the shower and hit her head. Went to the ER everything was fine. But when her friend went to check on her the next morning she was dead. 

I am so sorry. 

7 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

That is all I really want in a doctor. I don't care if its male or female. I just want the doctor to listen to me and my concerns. And not blow me off. I've been blown off so many times when I had serious problems that need help. Regular doctors, ER doctors.  

Agreed. My family doc is SUPER busy - but she's kind and she listens. And when I went in there once for something else - I asked her to just look at my son and tell me if I needed to take him in for this eye thing. She looked at him, said "Is he on our rolls? No? He is now. That's pink eye. Here's a prescription." (she totally didn't have to do that but she saved a mom of a toddler a lot of time). 

And we've recently switched pediatricians because our old one was kind of an arse. He never listened to me, he didn't like me reminding him that my son was a preemie (but hello - I went to him because he had been an attending doc in the NICU and should have at least had it on his chart...). 
The new one- aside from being an American (in Canada! a little piece of home!) is really kid oriented and will sit and listen to all of my concerns, will listen to my suggestions and asked me how *I* was in the last appointment we had. No one had asked me how *I* was handling all the stuff that we were going through. So she will forever be my favorite person for that. 

I finally watched the wedding thing.  WTF is wrong with Josiah.  He’s like a stepford husband, even the tone of his speaking voice has changed, his sparkle is gone, it’s like he is wearing a fake personality.  I also get the vibe that he can be a real asshole.  Feeling sorry for both him and Lauren.  Hopefully he was just having a bad day.

jim Bob is still a big phoney asshat.

20 hours ago, mollysmom said:

A few years back I was having heavier than normal periods & they were coming every other week. I told my Dr. and he told me that it was pre-menopause (I was in my mid 30's). I, naively, believed him. It got worse and worse until finally I had a period that lasted 6 months straight (no lie) he kept telling me that I was fine and that I was panicking for nothing....it was just pre-menopause. I finally got to a point where I was wearing depends because no tampon or pad could hold everything in because I was bleeding so heavy and it just wasn't stopping. I ended up going to the emergency room cuz I was scared that I was going to bleed to death. I ended up having a huge fibroid in my uterus and needing blood transfusions and a hysterectomy. Needless to say I never went back to that Dr. 

Wow, I have no idea how you managed six months. I've always had heavy and irregular periods then it started to get weird. Like come back a week or two after I just had my period. Then it came back and wouldn't leave.  I made it 44 days before I was finally able to get into a ob-gyn doctor who put me on birth control that stopped it. Those were horrible days the cramps were bad and so was the PMS. I would have gone to the doctor soon but I partly scared my grandmother died of ovarian cancer and I was scared it could be that. Also, I wasn't sure how to get to the DR my mother was still alive but couldn't be left alone. In the last few month of her life she couldn't be left alone not even long enough for Dad to take me to the doctor. There really wasn't anyone to give me a ride to the doctor. Everyone was working or something. Because of my medical problems I can't drive. Also I was worried what it would do to my parents if it was something serious. My dad was already doing so much taking care of Mom and me. I was trying to help him as much as I could. Or to Mom who wasn't doing well. She was already upset enough and feeling guilty I moved because I need to be taken care off but I ended up having to take care of her.  Three weeks after my mother died I was able to get an appointment and ride to the doctor. I was miserable for 44 days I don't know how you made it six months. How did you manage?

Please don't scare me like this! I saw the thread was hot, so I was afraid an announcement had been made! (No, I never think that in the Dillard thread- I figure either Derick is being awful again or Jill cooked something nasty.)

While we were going through ivf I had so many people look at my private parts I can’t even count them. There were males and females, doctors and nurses and students, probably some other random hospital people. I stopped caring who was looking or what they were doing down there. I just wanted that baby. 

I've had shit experiences with both male and female OB/GYNs. When I finally threw in the towel and referred myself to a reproductive endocrinologist it was like a whole new world. My RE was absolutely amazing- she really listened, never rushed appointments even when she was running behind, and she was thorough. The only negative is she was located 80 miles away from my home. I wish I had stayed with her for the birth because maybe then I wouldn't have been given an episiotomy without consent. Early next year I plan to see a new male RE who just came into my network and is only 25 miles away- I'm hoping I have a similar experience with him as my female RE.

I've also heard a lot of people talk about a bad experience with one or two female doctors and then talk about it like those few doctors are representative of all female doctors. It's frustrating when people have a bad female doctor and think "female doctors are bad" rather than "that particular doctor is bad."

My current PCP is AMAZING!!! She always seems to have plenty of time, is interested in ME...and has no problem w/prescribing my psych meds. 

1 minute ago, Rachel333 said:

I've also heard a lot of people talk about a bad experience with one or two female doctors and then talk about it like those few doctors are representative of all female doctors. It's frustrating when people have a bad female doctor and think "female doctors are bad" rather than "that particular doctor is bad."

In my area, most of the female GYNs are horrible. I'm sure some are perfectly fine but I'll stick with my doctors I've had 1 to many bad experiences to venture too far from the good few I've found.

7 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

While we were going through ivf I had so many people look at my private parts I can’t even count them. There were males and females, doctors and nurses and students, probably some other random hospital people. I stopped caring who was looking or what they were doing down there. I just wanted that baby. 

Right?! Gosh, I don't even know the names of most of the nurses who've been all up there and I've only done IUIs so far, IVF coming soon. IDK, there is something about a person you've never met before holding a syringe filled with your husbands sperm and then jamming it through a cervical catheter that just really demystifies the whole thing. 

I know someone who's father in law is an OBGYN or RE or something and to save money they've used him for their IUIs. She was like, 'I know it's really weird and I was super against it at first,' but honestly it doesn't even seem strange to me anymore! 

My reproductive endocrinologist is male and he is super inappropriate sometimes, but he's the only Dr. I've ever had who agreed my symptoms were not in my head and got my endo and pcos diagnoses correct after a decade of symptoms. There is a reason it takes an average of 10 years for someone to be diagnosed with endo and it's that women aren't trusted. 

It's unfortunate that it's such a grab bag with doctors. I think there might be correlations, but you just never know from the outset. Working through mistrust built on years of being ignored doesn't help either!

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

I finally watched the wedding thing.  WTF is wrong with Josiah.  He’s like a stepford husband, even the tone of his speaking voice has changed, his sparkle is gone, it’s like he is wearing a fake personality.  I also get the vibe that he can be a real asshole.  Feeling sorry for both him and Lauren.  Hopefully he was just having a bad day.

jim Bob is still a big phoney asshat.

Exactly what I saw.

It's like he's a mean version of Joshy [I know he can't help looking like his own brother!!]

Like he's playing the part of a jealous young man with his first girlfriend.... [and no, not "oh wait he IS a...] I just thought "SEE. I'm getting married. See. I'm as horney as my borthers...." plus MEAN vibe. Ick. Where's the guy who picked flowers for his grandma and sisters and who ran off when Dad faked a picture for right response training to tell all the kids Michelle was knocked up again? You remember, that time JB twisted his arm?? What DID the family do to 'Siah? The others went to ALERT and didn't change personalities!

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I've had several people tell me her death was due to "Socialized" health care and thus all Canadian health care is bad. The fact she was a grown woman who didn't seek extra help until it was too late contributed to her death.

7 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I've had several people tell me her death was due to "Socialized" health care and thus all Canadian health care is bad. The fact she was a grown woman who didn't seek extra help until it was too late contributed to her death.

that is the American right wing version of her death, these are the same people who still think Jesus is white and Santa  is a Christian.

I'm one who prefers female doctors for all my womanly needs, but when my regular OB saw something concerning on my second daughter's anatomy scan she referred me to a male high risk OB to get further scans done and I could not have cared less, man, woman, whatever, just give me ALL the info on my baby (she's a perfectly healthy 5 month old now, thank goodness!)

My husband and I see a great male PCP, his female nurse practitioner is wonderful too. We started out with a female pediatrician for our daughters but I disliked the office staff and didn't love the doctor enough to stick around. Several of my mom friends referred me to a male pediatrician who we adore. My very shy 3 year old feels comfortable enough to talk to him which is a huge plus. It really is just luck of the draw!

My first ever period lasted about a month, and was heavy enough that I leaked all over the bed if I slept through the night. My second lasted for about three, before my mother finally relented and let me see a gyno. He prescribed a synthetic hormone that was decidedly NOT the pill, because there was no way in hell my incredibly catholic mom was going to allow her thirteen year old daughter to take birth control. I spent the next 25 years in an endless cycle (no pun intended) of pleading with doctors to help me figure out what was wrong and get the bleeding under control, only to be told time and time again (after the first doc) that the pill was my only option, except for one notable time when the doctor refused to write me a scrip until I’d stopped bleeding...despite the fact that I told her my medical history made it clear that wouldn’t happen without the help she was refusing to give me. I lost multiple jobs because I couldn’t stand up for even ten minutes without blood pouring down my legs, and I dealt with awful side effects from taking the pills (including horrible nausea,  massive weight gain, and my body simulating miscarriage with large chunks of white tissue during the first cycle every time I started them again after any sort of break) because the alternative was so unbearable. 

Two years ago, I FINALLY had a doctor who seemed to take me seriously, and offered an alternative treatment. It worked almost instantly, and within a couple of months, I had a regular cycle of reasonable volume for the first time in my life. On one hand, I’m thrilled to finally have things under control. On the other, I find myself thinking about the MANY doctors (male and female) over the last few decades who couldn’t be bothered to think beyond throwing birth control at me, even knowing what it put me through. I’m forty-one now, and though I suppose I’m probably more capable of getting pregnant now than any point previously in my life (because at least I’m regularly ovulating now), I’ve accepted that it’s just not a good idea for me. I’m not financially capable of supporting a child on my own, and much as I love my boyfriend, my previous marriage has me very gun shy about making serious commitments and I can’t think of a bigger commitment than making a new person. He’s getting a vasectomy next month, and I think that’s probably for the best. 

When I was oh goodness I was probably about 15 or 16 at the time, I tripped over the dog, fell down the stairs and landed at the bottom. I remember the dog whimpering and he kept pawing at me. I think he was trying to get me to move and knew his "girl" aka me wasn't feeling well. He'd lick my face and then start whimpering again. My mom had gone to the store an hour before this happened. She goes the dog kept butting the back of her legs, whining, and running to the garage door that leads into the house. She walks in and finds me on the floor awake but in pain. I remember she managed to get me up, onto the couch. Sat down next to me, called urgent care, and a friend who is a Trauma RN,  got me in, doc (male, friendly, knowledgeable, and professional) said it was a bad concussion. Came home and mom watched me like a hawk, making sure I didn't fall asleep for several hours.

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

How did you manage?

Honestly, I don't know. My surgeon asked me the same thing. The only reason I ended up going to the emergency room was because I was getting so weak from losing so much blood. When they were doing my blood transfusion they told me they couldn't believe I was walking around working & driving. Now, I don't know how I did it. It's honestly kind of a blur now. But I didn't realize just how poorly I felt until I had my hysterectomy and felt SO much better afterwards!! It was such a scary time (for me and for my poor husband)  & I wouldn't wish that on anyone. 

1 hour ago, mollysmom said:

I didn't realize just how poorly I felt until I had my hysterectomy and felt SO much better afterwards!!

Best.Surgery.Ever.

7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

We actually took our daughter to the Doctor tonight because she hit her head not once, but twice in just two hours. First was a backwards fall after slipping on the wet bathroom floor and second was a backwards fall off a kitchen chair she was standing on. She’s a toddler and the Doctor said that they tend to do very well with head injuries at that age, though I’m not really sure why. Thankfully she broke both falls with another body part and she appears to have her father’s very thick skull... but still, not cool of her to scare us like that twice in one day. :pb_lol:

(And she seems to be perfectly fine. A bit confused over why a strange man was looking in her eyes and moving her limbs around so late at night, but otherwise ok. Lol!)

7 hours ago, theotherelise said:

Right?! Gosh, I don't even know the names of most of the nurses who've been all up there and I've only done IUIs so far, IVF coming soon. IDK, there is something about a person you've never met before holding a syringe filled with your husbands sperm and then jamming it through a cervical catheter that just really demystifies the whole thing. 

Agreed. I have lost track of how many people have been up in my business (2 IVFs- sort of, multiple IUIs). Got to the point where I didn’t care but I did ask if I got credit for my Pap smear with all this action (i did not).

but we have our beloved boy so all is well (via adoption- best thing that ever happened to us)

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived