IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

As for the flirting babies, I used to say it all the time about my sons. They were huge flirts!  I honestly don’t see a problem with that phrase (especially as they would flirt with everybody, no matter their sex). And I had no problem saying they were flirting with members of the same sex. I don’t see it as a sexualized term. However, after reading some responses I can see why some people find it squicky. Especially as @HarleyQuinn pointed out, this is a family that has a history of sexual abuse that they tried to sweep under the rug. 

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@HarleyQuinn,  I sure hope that Jill and the kids aren't hanging out at the library.  No one using the law library should have to put up with the distraction and noise of those kids and the clingy wife.

Agreed, but when have these people ever shown consideration for anyone else?

20 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I would just say playful or smiley. Or maybe a "ham" because that's just another way to say someone likes attention. I've never met anyone that didn't associate flirting with relationships and/or sex. 

Yeah, I would say they're making friends. I've had people tell me baby boys are flirting with me and every time it makes me feel like I need a shower. I'm sure they don't mean to weird me out at all, but it instantly makes me see the baby as a creepy little Gaston who's attention I now have to deflect. Leave me alone, baby! You're too young for me! It's gross! 

(I'm really not hating on anyone who says this and thinks it's fine. I know most of you don't have gross motivations. You do you. Just know that some of us are a little weirded out by it.) 

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@HarleyQuinn,  I sure hope that Jill and the kids aren't hanging out at the library.  No one using the law library should have to put up with the distraction and noise of those kids and the clingy wife.

OMG, can you imagine blocking off your day, settling in for some library studying marathon for a huge law school exam, and then having to hear Jill's cooing in the background?

I would lose my shit. 

I am pretty sure Jill and the kids would not be allowed in the law library.  Are there not rules about only students being in there?  I know all the libraries at the university I went to, and the actual law libraries of the law schools my friends went to were not publicly accessible.

Having said that though, I had a friend who went to Osgoode law school here in Toronto.  Once a year they had a "family and friends" luncheon so I got to go to their dining hall and library, both of which are in fantastic old buildings and are so fantastic.  It would have reminded me of Hogwarts, had this not happened many years before those books were written.

I wonder if there's a regional difference in what 'flirting' means. For me (raised west coast and now northeast) it's always sexual. Not necessarily meaning that you actually want to have sex with someone, but it's playing with sexual attraction. it would never ever occur to me to use it in the context of making cute faces at a baby, and that's why it feels weird here. 

I get that for some people it's totally innocent, but Jill belongs to a religious subculture that thinks pretty much all interactions between men and women are sexual (so you're not even allowed to have opposite-sex friends or front hug your brothers), and in the context of that it's really gross. 

48 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

OMG, can you imagine blocking off your day, settling in for some library studying marathon for a huge law school exam, and then having to hear Jill's cooing in the background?

I would lose my shit. 

Given that she had zero problem barging her way onto an active marathon course to shove her phone in Derick's face as he tried to keep running, I can absolutely see her doing this. 

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

I am pretty sure Jill and the kids would not be allowed in the law library.  Are there not rules about only students being in there?  I know all the libraries at the university I went to, and the actual law libraries of the law schools my friends went to were not publicly accessible.

Young Law Library at the U of Arkansas is open to the public. Its a  US federal government depository library, so by law it has to allow public access to that government documents collection. https://law.uark.edu/library/

It is open to the public until 8 pm or 10 pm depending on the day, and to  law students with IDs until midnight. It also has a coffee shop.

The Library also answers public reference questions:

"Reference

Reference Librarians are available to assist the faculty, students, attorneys, and members of the public with many services. Our Librarians can assist faculty and students with short research assignments, run quick electronic searches, create bibliographies or guides, and offer research instruction to students."

I would totally say babies flirt.  It's a behavior, not a reason for the behavior.  When you are little you do it for general attention.  When you are a teen you do it for romantic attention but you don't necessarily want to actually have sex with all of the people you flirt with.  Or even date all of them.  Even some adults flirt with people they don't intend to ever date.  

@lumpentheologie I'm southern and it's weird to me. But mostly because in my (limited) experience people say it when talking about boy babies interacting with women, or girl babies interacting with men, and it feels very compulsory heterosexuality-y.

Well, I think we've all learned a lesson in what people think flirting means today.

Which makes this place more valuable than any episode of Counting On has ever been!

(p.s. I told my cats today they can't flirt with me anymore).

1 minute ago, SamiKatz said:

(p.s. I told my cats they can't flirt with me anymore today).

So now they go back to full-time ignoring you, right? haha

I hate it when people say that babies/toddlers are flirting. To me, flirting has some type of sexualized behavior behind it. And like @nickelodeon says, it's almost exclusively used in a hetero manner. Those "cute" onesies with sayings on them like "Don't worry ladies, I'm single" (yeah, saw that one recently) are stomach turning.

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

@lumpentheologie I'm southern and it's weird to me. But mostly because in my (limited) experience people say it when talking about boy babies interacting with women, or girl babies interacting with men, and it feels very compulsory heterosexuality-y.

Yeah, that's my problem with it too. On the one hand, I see how "flirting" can be a harmless/innocent term. I get how a lot of people see it as cute and playful, and I'm sure I've used it that way too. But since it's almost always used for a baby boy flirting with women or a girl flirting with men, it comes off to me as a way to reinforce heterosexuality in kids. @curlykate used the term for both sexes (which is great) but she's in the minority. Most parents who see no problem saying their infant son flirts with girls would instinctively recoil if you said he flirts with boys. 

Re.. flirting Babies.   I have heard people say this before and I always do a lot of internal cringing.   It just a bit icky.  I’m sure it’s meant to be a harmless, fun thing to say but....I don’t like it.  

1 minute ago, nickelodeon said:

The "hope it moves to UpTv soon" bit is interesting since it's so specific.

I thought that as well.  I can't imagine the Duggars would get as good of a deal from UP as they do from TLC though, it's such a smaller network.

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I would just say playful or smiley. Or maybe a "ham" because that's just another way to say someone likes attention. I've never met anyone that didn't associate flirting with relationships and/or sex. 

Ha, this is what we say about babies in my family/neck of the woods in the northeast/midwest.  I said "You are such a ham!" to my nephew alot.  Usually when he was being particularly playful or silly for attention. As in "hamming it up".  Myself and those in my rl circle probably wouldn't use the word flirt in that context because we didn't grow up hearing it used that way.  But I wouldnt be offended if I heard someone else do so. Kind of like people say their gonna kill someone, but you know they don't mean it.   Well, most of the time anyway, lol.

1 hour ago, WiseGirl said:

Did this get discussed and I just missed it? And guess which channel he would like Counting On to move to?

http://www.theashleysrealityroundup.com/2018/09/11/derick-dillard-says-he-encourages-people-not-to-watch-the-filth-on-tlc-wants-counting-on-to-change-networks/

I remember this from a while ago, he's just a whiny bitch that wants the paycheck again.

I think Jill drives to school with Derick and the kids, hangs around campus and proselytizes when she doesn't have something better to do, then is waiting at his classroom door at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Did this get discussed and I just missed it? And guess which channel he would like Counting On to move to?

http://www.theashleysrealityroundup.com/2018/09/11/derick-dillard-says-he-encourages-people-not-to-watch-the-filth-on-tlc-wants-counting-on-to-change-networks/

I was coming here to post this. He REALLY has a problem with TLC. It seems far beyond disagreeing with their content as he claims, other channels have things that I imagine would be “worse” in his eyes or on the same level. But he directs all his hate and vitriol forwards TLC. It really makes makes me go, “Yup, they definitely fired him. Disgruntled former employee.” He’s so transparent it’s sad. And he thinks he’s so clever with his lies too.

He’s saltier than the Dead Sea

He was also upset when he was told that an ad for Ellen came up during Counting On and used that as further proof that TLC is bad. Honey, I’m sure she’s more upset than you are. She wouldn’t want to be associated with bigotry 

4 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I thought that as well.  I can't imagine the Duggars would get as good of a deal from UP as they do from TLC though, it's such a smaller network.

But they’re doing it as a mission so money is not important to them. They are volonteering to show us heathens the way of the lord. God bless! 

:pb_lol:

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived