IGNORED

Wild Wild Country

CTRLZero

This is a six-part documentary (Netflix) of the guru Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, his second-in-command Ma Anand Sheela, and various others who got up to all sorts of hijinks in the isolated area surrounding Antelope, Oregon. 

I recommend this series because the subject matter is very compelling and veers to outrageous.   Along with contrasting opinions of church and state separation, there are all manner of conspiracies, crimes, legal maneuvering, and emotional reactions.

This took place in the early to mid-80s, and it was interesting for me (who grew up near Portland) to watch the old newscasts that I probably watched back at the time.  I missed a lot of the sub-plots that were going on back then, so the documentary revealed many more shocking details. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

Thank you for the summary. I didn't know what to make of it when I first saw it pop up on my Netflix, but your description made it sound really interesting.

8 hours ago, ophelia said:

Thank you for the summary. I didn't know what to make of it when I first saw it pop up on my Netflix, but your description made it sound really interesting.

I didn't want to be too specific, since people who watch it are in for some real surprises if they don't know the story.  The interviews of the townspeople and other participants, both today and in old videos from the time were especially interesting.  This sort of thing can happen anywhere, and off the top of my head I can think of a few other communities that have been impacted by an influx of religious/cult members.  I hope you are able to watch.

• Thank You 1

I really enjoyed Wild Wild Country. I had just listened to an episode of the "Zealot" podcast about Rajneeshees, so for me it's funny that this group is suddenly popping up across my media.

Anyway, it's a super interesting view of a time and place. The interviews from former (current?) members are riveting. Sheela in particular is an interesting character... while I can't sympathize with her for countless reasons, her ambition and charisma really struck me.

• I Agree 2

• 1 year later...

Watching it now. I also recommend Jane Stork's autobiography (she was in the documentary under her Rajneeshi name Shanti - she's the one who was involved in the murder plots) which goes into how she became involved, and how things went to hell - and how she managed to move forward. It's an interesting look at how easy it is to get in, and how hard to come back.

• Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered this, and my husband and I binged it. We are fascinated by cults, since I grew up in a wanna-be cult church and he grew up in a mega church that’s now steeped in scandal. I find it fascinating how they had Sheela really immerse herself in American culture and policy, but it makes perfect sense. It was a really well done doc.

• Upvote 2