IGNORED

Reborn dolls - please for the love of god talk about them here!

quiversR4hunting

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Also I spent all day suspiciously looking at babies to see if they were moving or not/still as a doll. Fuck I might need to tell my therapist about this so she can help me  recover.

I collect antique photos and when I learned about post mortem photos I started playing “Dead or not dead” at antique stores. So far I’ve never come across an obviously dead one, but I owned a few that are a bit suspect. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Does anyone have a link to the Facebook for "Britton Rose" who "speaks" in awful baby talk and gets into all sorts of hijinks? Reddit isn't allowing any posts about her because she was getting harassed (out of all the reasons behind sending death threats, "posts twee scenarios as a doll for fellow fans" is probably the stupidest I've seen so far), but I'd like to give her a follow. 

What do you mean that Reddit isn't allowing any posts about her? I know they aren't allowing identifying info, but I don't see that they're not allowing the posts at all?

In some early posts, the name of the group wasn't censored, so I joined the group. I can tell you the name of it, but it's a closed group and I hear that now they're questioning people before letting them in. But if you or anyone else wants to try, PM me. (Or just look at some of the oldest posts on the subreddit, I think the group name is still visible.)

Yes, absolutely insane and disgusting that people would send death threats or otherwise harass Britton's mom! She's cringey as hell but she's not hurting anyone, and is in fact helping people! (She started a small organization where people bring reborns to visit dementia patients for "doll therapy", which is a really nice thing to do.)

4 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

What do you mean that Reddit isn't allowing any posts about her? I know they aren't allowing identifying info, but I don't see that they're not allowing the posts at all?

R/insanepeoplefacebook no longer allows any doll posts due to her reaching out about the harassment. What subreddit did you guys find her on? (And obviously I only want to follow to watch, not poke the wildlife... Although in the metapost they were discussing that charity and I do want more information about that) 

1 minute ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

R/insanepeoplefacebook no longer allows any doll posts due to her reaching out about the harassment. What subreddit did you guys find her on? (And obviously I only want to follow to watch, not poke the wildlife... Although in the metapost they were discussing that charity and I do want more information about that) 

Oh, I first found her on r/insanepeoplefacebook I think, but from there, someone started r/reborndollcringe so that's the main place to find Bwitton now. The charity FB page is public so I guess I could link to it but I don't want to make it easier for any malicious lurkers to harass her. I'm happy to link in PM.

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

@ViolaSebastian you made me remember this (what's scary is how since this was made, a lot of these have gone mainstream...

I recently saw this on the GuruGossiper forum because my other hate-watching habit is YouTube personality Aspyn Ovard - anyone know of her? She's not fundie but she's AWFUL. She's in Utah and currently trying to have a baby because #goals and #doingitforthegram.

I wonder if in this thread that came out of the result of thread drift tangents if we're just going to go on more thread drift tangents in a neverending circle and somehow at the end of it end up on a tangent about Jill Rod again!

There sure are some batshit crazy interesting people in the reborn world :mrgreen:

As I said in the JRod thread, I have 3 reborns, I used to have 9 but I had to sell six of them because I needed the money. These 3 I will not sell, even if I have to go naked and hungry, they are special to me :my_heart:

I don´t play with them, only change their clothes and I don´t take them out in strollers.

I have taken them to my workplace but that was because my coworkers wanted to see a reborn, I carried Emma-Louise in a bag so no one outside my work did see her.

Many people don´t speak of their reborns, they are ashamed because some people make fun of them. Well, I don´t care what people say or think, my "babies" make me happy and that´s what matters. And I totally get that many people find dolls creepy, heck there are dolls that I find creepy. 

I cannot be the only one who thinks “reborn roleplay” has all sorts of connotations happening.

1 hour ago, Pink Muffin said:

Many people don´t speak of their reborns, they are ashamed because some people make fun of them. Well, I don´t care what people say or think, my "babies" make me happy and that´s what matters. And I totally get that many people find dolls creepy, heck there are dolls that I find creepy. 

I don't hate dolls or find them all creepy at all. My mom and paternal grandma both do/did make dolls (from scratch, no reborning or patterns. Mostly carved from wood, but also using other mediums). I think it's awesome.

One of my mom's dolls is even a lifesize newborn. His head and hands are carved from mahogany wood, and his body is fabric and filled with some type of weighted beads (sewing the body was all freehand too...I wish I had half the artistic skill my mom does!). He was exhibited in a museum. My paternal grandma, well she isn't maternal or grandmaternal at all so I barely know her, but she makes amazing dolls and has been featured in several publications and museums. I like (some) dolls a lot. But dolls aren't alive and treating them like they are is creepy. Appreciating them as a form of art is not.

19 hours ago, Koala said:

Omg, are you thinking about April Rose?  I so remember that.  That was some crazy shit!

Yes, that was the one. I couldn't remember the name beyond Rose

1 hour ago, Pink Muffin said:

There sure are some batshit crazy interesting people in the reborn world :mrgreen:

As I said in the JRod thread, I have 3 reborns, I used to have 9 but I had to sell six of them because I needed the money. These 3 I will not sell, even if I have to go naked and hungry, they are special to me :my_heart:

I don´t play with them, only change their clothes and I don´t take them out in strollers.

I have taken them to my workplace but that was because my coworkers wanted to see a reborn, I carried Emma-Louise in a bag so no one outside my work did see her.

I think it's fine if somebody wants to collect dolls. Or dress them, etc. The thing that gets me is when people act like they are real, such as the videos that were in this thread.  My mom collected dolls, among other things.My daughter was collecting them but I think she decided to stop because they took up so much room.  I have various collections, I think most people do.

38 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

I don't hate dolls or find them all creepy at all. My mom and paternal grandma both do/did make dolls (from scratch, no reborning or patterns. Mostly carved from wood, but also using other mediums). I think it's awesome.

One of my mom's dolls is even a lifesize newborn. His head and hands are carved from mahogany wood, and his body is fabric and filled with some type of weighted beads (sewing the body was all freehand too...I wish I had half the artistic skill my mom does!). He was exhibited in a museum. My paternal grandma, well she isn't maternal or grandmaternal at all so I barely know her, but she makes amazing dolls and has been featured in several publications and museums. I like (some) dolls a lot. But dolls aren't alive and treating them like they are is creepy. Appreciating them as a form of art is not.

That sounds like a work of art!

Idgaf what people do in their own home as long as it’s safe, sane, consensual and legal. I do, however, get a bit concerned when they seem to feel the doll is alive and can emote..and when they bring others into it who aren’t thrilled about it. (See below)9b9a838f3716d3b1f48b9ea5ddd05497.jpg

I did see one girl who’s chronically ill, so as someone whose illness almost prevented them from having kids I can sympathize there on several levels. But otherwise...I’m skeptical.

I just read one story where she was selling the doll because she just couldn't bond with a boy reborn doll. She tried dressing it up as a girl but she still couldn't bond with it. 

Another one was with a boyfriend awkwardly clutching a doll as he met it for the first time. 

@FiddleDD you're my new best friend! I don't know another person who collects antique photos. I collect children's photos exclusively (creepy, I know). I don't do tin types but collect from 1800's to about 1940's. Unusual subject matter, pony pictures, interesting props, and post-mortem have become my main interests. Cabinet cards are a special love of mine and I'm attempting to collect one from every state. 

17 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I just read one story where she was selling the doll because she just couldn't bond with a boy reborn doll. She tried dressing it up as a girl but she still couldn't bond with it. 

Another one was with a boyfriend awkwardly clutching a doll as he met it for the first time. 

Bonding is really a thing. I have sold a couple dolls because I couldn't "bond" with them. It's hard to explain, but sometimes when a doll arrives it's just "meh." And you try different stuff on it and sometimes something clicks but sometimes it doesn't. They are expensive enough I want to be happy about them, not "meh." Some people prefer girls, I have far more boys, some prefer a certain style... bonding is just a way of saying they work for you. For most people, anyway, there are the ones who go a little bit too far with the whole bonding thing.

Mine also have to fit in the storyline I have. If they don't fit the group they don't stay. One had too flat a profile, one had hands that were too babyish... a couple just didn't click. 

Again, mine aren't reborns, however.  It's not like bonding with a child, more like having a favorite toy. Cause that's really what they are. 

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

bonding is just a way of saying they work for you.

Yes to this. There are a few dolls that I've made that I just can't bear to part with. I usually have a fairly strong attachment to the first of any design that I create. I only make between two and ten of most designs because I get bored easily. There was one doll that I made five of and kept three. They're sisters. Alice, Pearl, and Petra. They don't have characters or personas or anything. They are my most labor intensive and original dolls and they serve as inspiration. Sometimes when I'm feeling artistically discouraged I look at them and think, if I can make those, I can make something else great, too! Dolls are about self expression and I view them as art.

Given the intricacy and talent involved, I see reborns as art objects. They inspire creative worlds and characters and that's a healthy and normal hobby. But some people don't seem to be satisfied and attempt to make them real in their own minds. It's less about the dolls being creepy and more about the people who buy them and obsess over them. 

It’s a new day. Why am I back on that reddit page and this thread? Behold, that hellbeast Britton wants to look like her sister. Who is black.

Spoiler

And she may or may not be slightly psychotic 

Spoiler

And she takes fashion advise from Jill Dillard

Spoiler

20 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I also read a story once where a woman spent thousands of pounds on outfits for her dolls, but refused to buy treats etc for her own, real life daughters, who were 12 and 13 at the time. I would’ve been so pissed off if I was them. I wanted to punch that woman. 

I read about her. She wouldn’t buy her daughter shoes because she’d grow out of them and said it was a waste of money. She did buy her dolls the same brand of shoes though, since they can wear them forever. It did not occur to this woman her child would actually use the shoes and the dolls wouldn’t. She also doesn’t buy her kids clothes in general. I wonder how old the kids are now and what their relationship with their mother is like. 

She also got a baby to look like the one she miscarried at 12 weeks. I have no idea how she’d know what the baby would have looked like. That was the end of her marriage. Then she’s getting ones that look like her daughters did as baby, because that I’ll fix the mother-child relationship.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/24/this-woman-spends-more-money-on-her-reborn-dolls-than-her-real-daughters-4879877/

18 hours ago, Ali said:

I think it is time for you to step away from this thread and get some sleep.

Thanks :) I did. I totally crashed around 7 PM last night. I don’t know why I’m back here.

17 hours ago, Marionette said:

This may or may not be one of the scariest, most disturbing threads on this website. :pb_lol:

I'm cracking up at you all being suspicious of babies now. Who knows, maybe half the babies we see in public aren't even real. :pb_eek: This is nuts.

Agreed. And I’m less suspicious of babies today, which is good.

13 hours ago, SuperNova said:

@FiddleDD you're my new best friend! I don't know another person who collects antique photos. I collect children's photos exclusively (creepy, I know). I don't do tin types but collect from 1800's to about 1940's. Unusual subject matter, pony pictures, interesting props, and post-mortem have become my main interests. Cabinet cards are a special love of mine and I'm attempting to collect one from every state. 

Happy to have a new bff! I used to collect just baby/child photos but lately I’ve branched out to whatever. I’m just looking for one that hits me as interesting or unusual. Or women with their long hair down (which I’ve yet to find any, I know they are out there but I collect solely from antique stores, no eBay for me, I like the thrill of the hunt).

This dude was in my nightmares last night:

Screenshot_2018-05-08-14-22-16-1.png.48efa4bc58e728be7bb25c581a09b31a.png

Have we talked about the woman who breastfeeds her dolls? I might be wrong, but that seems just a little strange to me.

Anyone else remember those Real Babies from the 80s? I had the sleeping one in the bunny jammies. 

This thread has been an adventure. I googled these dolls AND THEY ARE SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE. I mean, I can understand buying one if it's affordable, but there are dolls that cost more than a month's rent!

Britton and her mama sure are an interesting cuple :laughing-rolling:

This is Muffins right now, sleeping in the cot with Ruth and Emma-Louise, I don´t know why he likes to sleep there but he does it often.P5090731.thumb.JPG.f317a3ec1b78c5eec59780c2b5308cc4.JPG

sorry for the bad pic, it´s dark here and I had to use the flash

16 minutes ago, viii said:

This thread has been an adventure. I googled these dolls AND THEY ARE SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE. I mean, I can understand buying one if it's affordable, but there are dolls that cost more than a month's rent!

The good ones are incredible works of art made by very fine artists.  They may not be my cup of tea, but absent creepy context, it's incredible how realistic some of them are.  I read a post by someone who makes them, and they said it takes many, many layers to get the desired effect, and the layers have to be fired or set in between each one.  The good ones are absolutely worth the money, and I am always happy to see artists who respect their work enough to charge what it is worth.

The bad ones should be tossed back into the pit of misery from whence they came and should not be seen by anyone, ever.

On another subject, I really think the line with any hobby, but with dolls especially, is when you try and make other people join in your hobby against their will.  A woman having fun posing her reborn dolls?  No problem.  Knock your socks off.  I like to dress up my cats.  It's how they pay rent.  

But when you are bringing the doll out in public and expecting others to play along...no.  Let's take it back to pre-school: If someone doesn't want to play dolls right now, they don't have to play dolls.  You don't get to force them.  If YOU want to play dolls, you can play by yourself OR you can find another game that BOTH of you want to play.   

Just because you are an adult, does not mean pre-school rules are not in effect: no hitting, no kicking, no biting, play nicely with others, and listen to them.  You are the boss of yourself.  You are not the boss of other people.  

Many mention the high cost of reborns and it´s as it is with any arts: you get what you pay for. There are always "used" reborns to buy and they don´t cost that much, it´s a good thing when you are buying but a "bad" thing when selling :my_smile:

And then there are the really, really expensive dolls by Romie Strydom, they are full bodied silicone dolls. Their starting bid on ebay is USD 8000, they usually sell for USD 14 000 to USD 16 000 and there was the one that sold for USD 22 000.

I think that is way, way crazy to pay that much for a doll. I often wonder how long she can sell the babies for a price as high, there can´t be so many doll collectors who can pay that much money.

I once saw a Romie baby on ebay, the lady who was selling it explained that she needed the doll to be sold because she could not pay the payments to the bank

Here is a picture of two of Romies babies so you can see her workromie.PNG.f0d045cb6f61aee373fb8d5a5d72697a.PNG

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

It’s a new day. Why am I back on that reddit page and this thread? Behold, that hellbeast Britton wants to look like her sister. Who is black.

Britton, you little piece of shit, stop doing blackface. You'd think her mom would eventually learn to put the paints somewhere inaccessible, but she never does. My real kid once got creative with the peanut butter but I became more vigilant in the future, it didn't happen like a thousand times.

Britton's mom needs to try watching her kid occasionally or putting the paint elsewhere.

doll11.PNG.4599e6d1ae5f81f9e67b78316aaef9f0.PNGdoll12.PNG.7158fad05e0077b969215be3c55d9bf6.PNG

7 hours ago, General Jinjur said:

This dude was in my nightmares last night:

Screenshot_2018-05-08-14-22-16-1.png.48efa4bc58e728be7bb25c581a09b31a.png

I wonder if that's what Bro Gary looked like when he was a baby?

Firstly one of the reborns in this thread has the exact same name as me so I feel an affinity for that baby. Best clothes for her please. 

Secondly, I’ve followed r/reborndollcringe since day 1 and the best thing anyone’s said on there is that Britton (please spell my country right people) sounds like a Jamaican old man with her baby talk. 

I mean I just think she sounds like she needs speech therapy but hey ho. 

Archived