IGNORED

Reborn dolls - please for the love of god talk about them here!

quiversR4hunting

So over on the Rod thread people have thread drifted into these "Reborn Dolls" they are CREEPY in my opinion. And because I am sick of looking at all these really weird dolls I am hoping me making this thread will move the conversation here. Because in my world, it is after all about me and my happiness. :D So here is one of the last set of screenshots and I will happily not be participating in this thread :D 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for starting this thread. I can’t escape this rabbit hole. I try and look away but my mind stays. I’ve always loved babies, but now I’m seeing them at the airport and I’m afraid. ARE THEY REAL??? Like I just can’t look at their adorable faces after this.

2 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Dear FJ friends, if you, like me, had no idea about this before, grab a strong drink, and head over here.   Blame @Coy Koi, it's all her fault, but OMG!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/RebornDollCringe/

If reading is too taxing, how about videos?   Meet Britton Joy, who's not Britton Rose of Reddit fame..

Fuck Britton Rose

So people really go to town with this and produce their own "births."

I want no part of this insanity and yet here I am

Reborn Dolls, A Haiku
Here against my will
I find I can’t look away
So I scroll these threads

Britton Rose, Ode To Her Mess In The Kitchen
Me am not a doll
Me am really a demon
Me am here for you

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Omg, that is so bizarre. And the open-back dress with a surgical gown is really bugging me!

Preface: I used to be into reborn dolls. 

The doll mentioned in the JRod thread that’s a “six year old” is the Arianna kit from Doll Dreams. It wears 18-24 months clothes and the head is HUGE. It comes in a sleeping and an awake version. 

The collectors I knew couldn’t stand these people. These “mommies” DESTROY the dolls because they are collectors items intended for display. The paint gets rubbed off, the hair yanked out, ect. I’ve seen the before/after pictures from people who were asked to repair them. 

I enjoyed dressing them and taking pictures, and even holding them (less prickly than holding my last cat like a baby lol), but these people take it to such a creepy level. And I feel bad for the artists who have to see their creations destroyed one fake birth at a time. 

I saw a documentary on YouTube about reborn dolls in the UK. One of the women profiled was a grandmother who wanted a reborn doll of her beloved grandson. So I tried to be open-minded and thought, “Maybe the boy died of cancer or something and she needs this doll to cope.” But no, the big reveal is that the grandson is very much alive, albeit living in Australia with his mother and her new husband. When the mother showed the reborn version of the boy to himself via Skype (who seemed very confused by the whole thing), I was like, “Okay, I’m done here.” Another woman on the show said that being into reborn dolls was no weirder than grown men collecting model train sets, and I would agree if they were just collecting them. But I think when you take your reborn out in public and treat it like a real baby and expect others to do so as well, that seems to be crossing a line.

I also want to mention that there is one, single approved therapeutic use for these dolls: in patients with dementia or similar brain decline, it can be beneficial for them to have a lifelike "baby" to care for, though obviously they should not be given care of a real infant.  

That's it. 

Therapists actually DISCOURAGE the use of these dolls for people who have lost children as they believe it causes the person to exist in a state of "suspended grief" where they run from the trauma by adopting a fantasy rather than processing it.  This is believed to have more potential for harm than actually forcing the person to confront the trauma.  

1 minute ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I saw a documentary on YouTube about reborn dolls in the UK. One of the women profiled was a grandmother who wanted a reborn doll of her beloved grandson. So I tried to be open-minded and thought, “Maybe the boy died of cancer or something and she needs this doll to cope.” But no, the big reveal is that the grandson is very much alive, albeit living in Australia with his mother and her new husband. When the mother showed the reborn version of the boy to himself via Skype (who seemed very confused by the whole thing), I was like, “Okay, I’m done here.” Another woman on the show said that being into reborn dolls was no weirder than grown men collecting model train sets, and I would agree if they were just collecting them. But I think when you take your reborn out in public and treat it like a real baby and expect others to do so as well, that seems to be crossing a line.

Exactly.  Like I said in the other thread, some of these people are actually really good photographers.  The lighting is well done, the shoots are creative, the set ups are interesting...if they were just taking the dolls out to photograph, I'd actually think that's somewhat cool. 

But I have never heard of a true "hobby" that requires other people not involved to participate in your delusional fantasy.  If your hobby is model trains, you don't expect people to treat them as if they're real trains.  You're not out there stopping traffic for your fake railroad crossing.  You don't put them on actual railroad tracks.  But that's what these people do.  THEY have a hobby, but they also expect ME to have a hobby of indulging them.

Nope.  You keep your hobby to yourself and to other people who appreciate it.  I don't get on the bus to LARP* with creepy dolls.  

*LARP is Live Action Role Play, and it's essentially getting together with a group of people, usually in public, and role playing.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but LARPers (who may stay in character if you talk to them) will NOT expect YOU to adopt a character.  But these crazy potatoes will.  

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Those are the creepiest ones I've seen so far. Not good at all artistically speaking. I just skipped around the video for a couple minutes and couldn't figure this out. Was the woman "delivering" the babies the real owner of the dolls? Because the "mother" didn't seem to have anything to do with the video. But maybe I just missed that part. If I were going to have a fake birth video it would be way more interesting than that, lol! 

Yeah, that really creeps me out too!  If someone wants to collect dolls, that's fine. I don't care how detailed people make their dolls that they collect.  But I have to draw the line at the birth stories and taking them out in public, pretending that they are babies, etc.

I remember a few years back, there was a scammer who claimed to be pregnant and then claimed that the baby was either stillborn or died right after birth. She had pictures of her baby and it was actually a reborn doll or a lifelike baby doll. She was trying to scam people and was caught because I think someone recognized the "baby" as a specific model of doll.  I think Rose was in her name.  That's usually the first thing I think of when I see these dolls.

When my daughter was younger we did consider a My Twinn doll, which would have been made to resemble her but she decided she wanted American Girl dolls instead. But I'm not sure how close the My Twinns are to looking like the person they are patterned after. But she was 7 or 8 or thereabouts.

But I do like the idea that someone with dementia that thinks they have a baby could be helped by a realistic baby doll.

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

Dear FJ friends, if you, like me, had no idea about this before, grab a strong drink, and head over here.   Blame @Coy Koi, it's all her fault, but OMG!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/RebornDollCringe/

If reading is too taxing, how about videos?   Meet Britton Joy, who's not Britton Rose of Reddit fame..

Da fuk I just watch?  After 30 seconds on youtube #1, I scooted over to the five-minute mark and there was an anatomically correct diaper change going on.  I bailed out and will NEVER go back. And then it reminded me of the guy with a diaper fetish.   I am so screwed. 

I have a friend who is a reborn doll artist. I think it's weird. She loves to make dolls for nursing home therapy. She tries to be discerning with orders to try to avoid helping any creepers. She once told me that she'd had several men try to order dolls with openings between the legs to use for sexual gratification. She refused to make them. 

40 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

But I have never heard of a true "hobby" that requires other people not involved to participate in your delusional fantasy. 

This is probably the biggest issue I have with these people. It is beyond a hobby if you expect other people to reflect your fantasy so the illusion isn't ruined for you. That is not a hobby, it's mental illness with a bank account. 

I make art dolls and can understand that dolls have their own "personality". I could be in the process of creation and change course halfway through because I feel like it's going in a direction of it's own, it starts to "speak" to me. I get it, but I don't try to imbue an inanimate object with life.

I would be curious to know how far someone like the woman with the Britton doll will take it. What is her boundary? If someone kidnapped Britton, would she call the police and make a missing persons report or a robbery? If her husband couldn't stand it anymore, would Britton be boxed up or would her husband leave?

I collect dolls - not reborns though because who has the money, and this is hilarious! They're super therapeutic to me and I love using them for photography and stopmotion animation. :)

I'm dead @ Britton, we have officially found the Illuminatti leader and it's a reborn doll. Wake up, sheeple! :my_biggrin:

I remember being part of a Reborn Doll Mommies thread on GOMI ages ago (I don't post there anymore). Dear Lord, some of the pictures were hideous. Cute they were not.

If you think human reborn dolls are bad enough... 

There are these too:

1 hour ago, Anonymousguest said:

Those are the creepiest ones I've seen so far. Not good at all artistically speaking. I just skipped around the video for a couple minutes and couldn't figure this out. Was the woman "delivering" the babies the real owner of the dolls? Because the "mother" didn't seem to have anything to do with the video. But maybe I just missed that part. If I were going to have a fake birth video it would be way more interesting than that, lol! 

From what I could stick around long enough to watch, the woman on the table during the "surgery" was the "mother" who was "giving birth" via "c-section." (Damn, never have so many quotation marks made so much sense...). I think the woman "performing" the surgery was some sort of designer or employee of a company who makes the dolls, as she is seen in other videos such as "pregnancy tests" for "expectant mothers" of these dolls. The teenager (her actual daughter?) in the video was basically my expression watching it the entire time--she was not having this silliness. 

Oh Rufus of the Blessed Horns, I'm sending one of those links to everyone I know. I've worked at the hospitals shown in the twins video. I have friends who still do. I'll now be glad I was never surreptitiously filmed as part of a reborn doll birth.

The surgery was just...?????? As ridiculous as it is how dreadful it was (eg putting on a mask after you scrub, touching your mask after...ew ew ew) nearly distracted me from how creepy the dolls were. It didn't though. Heel pricks??? The "nurse" looked like she wanted no part of that insanity. How do you even get into that? "Hey, wanting to film a birth of my Down Syndrome twin dollies. Want to play the nurse?"

Joining FJ years back was worth it just to find that video.

I can admire the craftsmanship of some of them, but I'm just not a baby person or a doll person, so the appeal escapes me.

Oh my brain. What horror is this? Thanks for filling my head with the creepy baby/pig/pug monkey:jawdrop: 

To me Britton would be a boy’s name, but it seems to be fashionable now for girls to get masculine names. I know there are some (eg Ashley) that used to be boy names and are now girl names, but names like Cameron (can’t think of anymore, that was one I thought of because it’s the name of a book character) will always be boy names to me. Funny how we don’t see boys being called Katie or Lydia or Hannah (for example). 

1 hour ago, jozina said:

Oh Rufus of the Blessed Horns, I'm sending one of those links to everyone I know. I've worked at the hospitals shown in the twins video. I have friends who still do. I'll now be glad I was never surreptitiously filmed as part of a reborn doll birth.

The surgery was just...?????? As ridiculous as it is how dreadful it was (eg putting on a mask after you scrub, touching your mask after...ew ew ew) nearly distracted me from how creepy the dolls were. It didn't though. Heel pricks??? The "nurse" looked like she wanted no part of that insanity. How do you even get into that? "Hey, wanting to film a birth of my Down Syndrome twin dollies. Want to play the nurse?"

Joining FJ years back was worth it just to find that video.

I am beyond delighted that I could serendipitously bring that bit of weird into your life. :pb_lol:

I fell down a rabbit hole on r/RebornDollCringe and I now have the WEIRDEST banner ads...

Archived