IGNORED

The Royal Wedding looms ahead

Palimpsest

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I'm guessing you managed to miss having any deadbeat relatives? I didn't. I have cousins who I haven't seen in twenty years who are perpetually in and out of jail (oftentimes for assault), homeless, and/or addicted to various substances. It is not my job, no matter how rich or successful I get, to support them or buy them houses. Not like all the houses in the world would help them. Something tells me Meghan's relatives are similar.

I was going to write something along very similar lines--between my aunt with borderline personality disorder on her fifth bankruptcy and my cousin who has a gambling and crack cocaine addiction, I have no doubt that my family could bankrupt the British crown asking for 'favors' to keep them from the tabloids. And exactly zero percent of their problems are my responsibility--some of my family members have been making horrible choices for fifty years and I would honestly only be enabling them by giving them unlimited amounts of cash. And yes, it would be unlimited, because once they caught a whiff that I was giving out funds, the 'emergencies' would never cease. At least by refusing to pay them off, Megan can be assured that the tabloids will eventually get tired of the story and stop paying and she doesn't have to go through being blackmailed at every turn.

Gaah, now he "wants to go" to the wedding. He's doing a great job making his daughter's wedding all about him. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5732077/Meghan-Markles-father-changes-mind-wants-come-wedding-doctors-let-him.html

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@singsingsing - Nope, not trolling, just presenting one side of a two-sided situation.

@nausicaa and @Hashtag Blessed - Yes, I’ve been lucky in the family department, and I can understand why Meghan would cut them off. And yes, it’s possible that she has helped them out.

@viii - Her half-brother still lived at home when she was a baby. There’s that story about him smoking pot around her. But between the age difference and the separation/divorce, she must not have spent much time with her half-siblings.

@Palimpsest - Just got caught up on the thread. It was Diana’s sister Sarah, not Jane, who Charles dated before her.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Earl Spencer loaned Meghan the tiara. 

Look, I have a straight up nasty situation with one of my half-siblings– I too grew up an only (they were adults before I was born) and in fact, one of my siblings' relationships with my father was so bad that I didn't even know they existed until I was almost ten. They continued to be self-centered, selfish assholes after that. They didn't speak to me on my wedding day, and left about 10 minutes into the reception because my close relationship with my parents was bothering them. And that's just the mild shit they've done. 

And to the note of financially supporting people– her family's financial situation does not defend or even explain their trashy, attention-grabbing behavior whatsoever. You can be broke and still have a sense of decorum– heck, you could have a better sense of decorum than the current US president. It is hardly Meaghan's responsibility to make her family's financial situation better for them. It appears to me that she accomplished what she did in spite of them, so why would she owe them? Nobody owes anybody, and this is a situation where that especially holds true. That's some Jill-level grifting expectation right there.

I have zero sympathy for the half-sibs. If someone doesn't invite you to a wedding, you don't show up. You don't pack bags and fly across the ocean to "support". What are you going to do, hang out outside Buckingham Palace and bemoan your estrangement? And then we find out they're really going to commentate. And what are they going to say? They haven't seen her in 20 years. "Oh, well, when she was 12 she liked almond cake so I imagine she still likes almond cake and that might possibly be what she's having today. Oh, it's not? She's having red velvet? Well, always did have an affinity for red velvet..." What? What kind of commentary is that? If you haven't seen someone in 20 years you are pretty fucking far from an authority on anything they do.

I don't have an opinion on the father, because reports are so conflicting. If he did have a heart attack, that's awful. But it's a very convenient story, and I also don't see why he'd not go to the wedding for fear of embarrassing her when her press corps are clearly still trying to protect him. I have also heard from some current friends at Northwestern that all of the things Meghan said she did there– campus activities, plays, etc– aren't corroborated by school records and she largely stayed with her sorority and did nothing else. So on both of them, it's 6 of one, half-dozen the other. 

But damn I feel for the girl. Been there, done that. I saw the hurt on DH's face when my siblings didn't welcome him to the family and I have happily not spoken to any of them since. And it obviously had nowhere near this level of attention. 

Just saw a headline on TeeVee that her dad wants now to come. 

Poor Meghan. But I think that after all of this mess, they will have a happy life. At least it would seem to. They both want to do humanitarian work so that should be good for both of them. 

7 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Of course if you have a broke close relative and you marry Prince Harry, they’re going to be talking to the tabloids! Maybe she figures that Harry doesn’t read them and she wants to leave her early life behind.

Or maybe she figures anyone with an ounce of intelligence doesn't read them and she doesn't give two shits what her evil half-siblings have to say.

A vote here for her mother walking her down the aisle.  Patriarchy be damned.

Normally I'd say I hope she'd walk down by herself, but if I had millions of people watching me, I'd want to hold on to a friendly arm.

Daily Fail is now claiming her father needs to have heart surgery tomorrow and therefore will miss the wedding. While very sad if true, I'm also a bit sceptical still at this point and I guess the truth will be known soon. Given Kensington Palace did release a statement about her parents roles a few weeks ago, I would think that IF this was true we may get an updated statement about her father's non attendance due to health reasons.

All we need now is some politically incorrect Prince Philip remarks and I think the press will literally explode from scandalous excitement.

And maybe some over the top hats to spark a wave of quality memes.

Yeah, I saw the thing about her father having heart surgery tomorrow. Reputable news agency. 

So, William, Charles or her mother. 

Which will it be?????

Apparently he's blaming his son (who wrote the open letter telling Harry not to marry Megan) for his heart attack. Dude, with all due respect, does not strike me as a healthy person before all this began. 

The bookies have gotten in on it. Here are the odds for who'll walk her down the aisle:

Doria Ragland - 4/6 

Prince Charles - 2/1 

Prince William - 5/1

Meghan Walks Solo down the Aisle 5/1

Thomas Markle 10/1

Gabriel Macht 14/1  

Prince Philip 20/1 

Prince Harry 33/1 

Kate Middleton 100/1

7 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Apparently members of Meghan's extended family (her half-brother's wife and kids) are going to be "Special correspondents" on "Good Morning Britain." Looks like they are eager to cash in.

Their arrival at Heathrow with mountains of luggage puts me in mind of the opening credits of The Beverly Hillbillies.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/14/meghan-markle-family-members-arrive-london-royal-wedding/

I know I probably look like shit when I disembark from flights to Europe too, so I can't fault them for looking haggard. But how long are they planning to stay with that much luggage? I cannot believe someone is actually going to pay them for their commentary. What could they possibly have to say about anything?

The bookies have gotten in on it. Here are the odds for who'll walk her down the aisle:
Kate Middleton 100/1

Do you know what I’d pay to see Kate walk her down the aisle?

2 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Do you know what I’d pay to see Kate walk her down the aisle?

I was skeptical about the heart attack story because of the timing, the story that he just left the hospital without his doctor's permission or possibly knowledge, and then he said that he was going back to the hospital.  Everyone is different, but my mother had a heart attack (and eventually several, actually), and she was doing good to even sit up in bed much less go to the level of activity he claims!

We probably all have a relative or relatives that are in it for themselves only, want to be the center of attention and follow the "what's mine is mine and what's yours is also mine" philosophy. But I think that she has a huge amount of those relatives.

57 minutes ago, Briefly said:

I was skeptical about the heart attack story because of the timing, the story that he just left the hospital without his doctor's permission or possibly knowledge, and then he said that he was going back to the hospital.  Everyone is different, but my mother had a heart attack (and eventually several, actually), and she was doing good to even sit up in bed much less go to the level of activity he claims!

We probably all have a relative or relatives that are in it for themselves only, want to be the center of attention and follow the "what's mine is mine and what's yours is also mine" philosophy. But I think that she has a huge amount of those relatives.

I have a few relatives with ridiculously high pain tolerance levels and who enjoy very quick recoveries. My grandfather had six bypasses about a decade ago, didn’t take anything for pain, and went back to work almost immediately. My younger brother is like him - he donated part of his liver several years ago and bounced back much quicker than expected too. So it is possible that Thomas really was being honest about his health here.

And for anyone curious, People has an article up about the latest development mentioned (the surgery scheduled for tomorrow, etc.):

https://www.google.com/amp/people.com/royals/meghan-markles-father-undergo-heart-surgery-wont-attend-royal-wedding/amp/

I hope his surgery goes well, he enjoys an easy recovery, and he’s able to watch the wedding on tv as it happens. 

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Apparently he's blaming his son (who wrote the open letter telling Harry not to marry Megan) for his heart attack. Dude, with all due respect, does not strike me as a healthy person before all this began. 

Doria Ragland - 4/6 

Prince Charles - 2/1 

Prince William - 5/1

Meghan Walks Solo down the Aisle 5/1

Thomas Markle 10/1

Gabriel Macht 14/1  

Prince Philip 20/1 

Prince Harry 33/1 

Kate Middleton 100/1

High levels of stress can exacerbate preexisting medical conditions. I have no trouble believing that the stress of so much international attention combined with his eldest children publicly attacking his youngest could have contributed to a heart attack, especially if his health wasn’t great to begin with.

6 hours ago, viii said:

It's just a shame that any girl has to deal with such a shit storm the week of her wedding.

Absolutely agree. Husband and I had to deal with a massive falling out between us and his immediate family with his mother’s parents and sister about a year before our wedding (long story, but we had very good reason to be pissed at them.) That was horrible enough to deal with a year ahead of time and it still stung not to have his grandparents and Aunt present. I honestly can’t imagine how terrible it must be for Meghan and Harry to be dealing with all this the week they’re supposed to be married. Her dad’s health is one thing, but the crappy way her siblings are acting is another matter entirely. You don’t treat someone you claim to love like that.

2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

See now I want Meghan and the Queen to walk down the aisle together to this. In an alternative universe this is totally happening 

25 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

See now I want Meghan and the Queen to walk down the aisle together to this. In an alternative universe this is totally happening 

I literally said to my mum tonight, “I hope the queen walks her down the aisle.” It would never in a million years happen, but the hilarity of that mental image is giving me life.

Sorry to read about the last minute hijinks. Some of us are not lucky enough to avoid wedding drama. Serious family issues will air around this time if they already exist.

However, so excited to see this! Coverage starts tomorrow.

Hope her father recovers soon and she is still able to have one of the best days of her life. 

Btw, has their love story been announced? I remember William met Kate at a fashion show. I was wondering how these two made it on.

7 minutes ago, TatiFish9 said:

Btw, has their love story been announced? I remember William met Kate at a fashion show. I was wondering how these two made it on.

They were apparently set up on a blind date by mutual friends and went out for a drink: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/a9664508/prince-harry-meghan-markle-relationship/

ETA: What time are people who live in the USA waking up? I'm trying to tread the line between "ass crack of dawn" and "missing it all."

19 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

They were apparently set up on a blind date by mutual friends and went out for a drink: https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/a9664508/prince-harry-meghan-markle-relationship/

ETA: What time are people who live in the USA waking up? I'm trying to tread the line between "ass crack of dawn" and "missing it all."

After scanning available options on my tv I have voted for HBO coverage. (and will sleep till I wake up Saturday and watch then - because I don’t need it live)

http://www.vulture.com/article/how-to-watch-the-royal-wedding.htmlj

I think Will Ferrell and Molly Shannon doing commentary will be hilarious.

@ViolaSebastian Can you record it? That's what I plan to do in case I  get up a little later than expected.  I'm gonna make an English breakfast spread, too.:tw_blush:

Also, I'm such a sucker for a good love story. "Blind date" gone good is romantic.

If William is best man, surely he’d be waiting at the altar with Harry, like Harry did for him at his (William’s wedding)? 

Logically, it would make most sense for her mum to walk her down the aisle, as they’re travelling in the car together. 

Thread drift: my brother has his first year uni exams on at the moment, and has one on the day. He’s not particularly into that kind of thing so I don’t imagine he’d watch anyway. My mother jokes that I’m a monarchist... I’m not, I’m just bizarrely fascinated by them. I think we did all watch William and Kate’s wedding, I don’t think my dad did though. I’m interested in what Meghan’s dress will be like, obvs, plus I wonder what the Queen will wear. Probably green or blue or pink. 

7 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Prince Philip 20/1 

It would take a long time for him to get down the isle! Can you imagine :P

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived