IGNORED

The Royal Wedding looms ahead

Palimpsest

@CaricatureQualities  Seriously!  Taco Bell me!  Zero wrong with that in my world, honest work.  I don't think Royals would trade their life for my life is all.

I'm torn between an unusual life like that, filled with history like they have, the education, castles and just the whole thing or being me in my normal people life.  I'm not sure I could decide at this point in my life, this is all I know.  And, I like my life.  In all it's not bougie glory.  It would be best to be born into it, imo.  

What I was trying to convey is that yes, it can be both stiffling and freeing because money and power.  Being born into that means a freedom to travel extensively to very high end private locations I can't go to, access to the best schools, no worry of money just to mention a few perks.   A public life one may not like and the private life one can be carefree with because of the privilege.  William and Kate partied, in private.  Does not mean sordid stuff per say, just that they do all the stuff many do but super private island like and best quality cocaine kinda thing.  In conclusion, I think the perks out weigh the stiffle.  Anyone one of them ever bail?  Nah, just some bitching at best.  They staying put!  

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears Meghan’s mother, not her father, will ride with her to the ceremony:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/04/world/europe/meghan-markle-doria-ragland-royal-wedding.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I like this idea. It’s a way to honor both her parents and give them special roles during an important moment in her life. 

As for Diana, I have no clue what her mental health was like and, frankly, it’s none of my business. I think she did a lot of good in the world (especially for those living with HIV and AIDS), but she wasn’t a perfect human and she wasn't a Saint. She was a very young woman swept up into a life she was not suited for and she married a man who was unable to love her the way she needed. I think she genuinely loved her sons very much, but she was flawed (as we all are) and I am glad that more people are realizing that with time. 

And finally, Charles and Diana - neither of them handled themselves well or maturely. I still find it pretty disgusting how they both used the press to go after one another. I understand wanting to defend yourself or tell your side... but they had children together. It strikes me as incredibly selfish on both their parts that they chose to prioritize their anger at each other over their children’s well-being. I imagine it must have been pretty painful for their sons to have seen or heard the things they said about each other, regardless of when they eventually saw or heard it. 

I will be shocked if that’s her actual dress. It’s not appropriate at all, and doesn’t seem like her style. I do believe the designers are correct, but she will wear something that has never been seen before, let alone walked down a runway. 

33 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

they do all the stuff many do but super private island like and best quality cocaine kinda thing

:laughing-rollingred:

Hahaha, "best quality cocaine sorta thing"....I dunno why but that wording really tickled me. I get what you're saying. There are so many perks and opportunities that come with money and power but it often comes with fame on some level...or if not fame a lot of scrutiny.  I think it takes a certain kind of personality (certain personalities) to live any kind of public life at the different levels. I'd try my hand at being rich but think long and hard about being famous. (no real worries on that front though haha). 

I’m also surprised Harry is involving the Spencer only; I didn’t think he was that close to them. 

I think the guess of Ralph & Russo is a good one ... but there other excellent British wedding gown designers who would have been a nice surprise. I would have loved to see Hermione de Paula or Sassi Holford but originally I thought it would be more along the lines of Phillipa Lepley or Caroline Castigliano. I really love Temperley and Jenny Packham but I don’t think they’re fancy enough :( 

I made loads of predictions for Kate’s wedding  (and I got the majority right!! Woohoo!!) but I’m not feeling super keen to make guesses for Meghan. She’s pretty stylish so I think whatever she had chosen will be stunning. I’m much more interested in making Treacy millinery predictions :D

C’mon Beatrice, you’ve got a lot to live up to.

Wasn't the friend that introduced Meghan and Harry to each other a designer? That might be a nice touch, but no idea if she designs wedding dresses too.

I was thinking Carolina Herrera dress was a good option, but I'm more leaning towards Ralph and Russo now. I really loved the engagement photo dress too.

I liked Kate’s dress. I wasn’t a massive fan of the neckline, but it wasn’t that bad overall.

Speaking of the York Princesses... what’s everyone’s assessment of them? I’m American so I don’t know much, but it feels like everything I read is either gushingly positive or incredibly negative. I’m guessing reality is somewhere close to between that and they’re not the best or worst people around. 

And are they allowed to hold jobs? I know Beatrice did something with a movie company a while back - I think they were hacked and employee salaries were released. I think certain royals (like the ones next in line) aren’t really encouraged to work unless it’s military service right? 

(But yeah. Their fascinators at William and Catherine’s wedding were phenomenal. This time they need to go big or go home again.)

Princess Eugenie works for an art gallery according to Wikipedia. It doesn’t say anything about jobs for Princess Beatrice, but she appears to do a lot of charity work. 

21 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Speaking of the York Princesses... what’s everyone’s assessment of them? I’m American so I don’t know much, but it feels like everything I read is either gushingly positive or incredibly negative. I’m guessing reality is somewhere close to between that and they’re not the best or worst people around. 

And are they allowed to hold jobs? I know Beatrice did something with a movie company a while back - I think they were hacked and employee salaries were released. I think certain royals (like the ones next in line) aren’t really encouraged to work unless it’s military service right? 

(But yeah. Their fascinators at William and Catherine’s wedding were phenomenal. This time they need to go big or go home again.)

Eugenie works for an art gallery in London, and Beatrice works as a Vice President in afiniti.com 

10 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

True true, no argument here,...but I still love Hitch. Is it Christopher Hitchens you are referring to or someone else? He was particularly scathing towards Diana. 

<snip>

My mom is a huge Diana lover and from a young age I remember her declaring/lamenting "she ruined her life" [when she married Charles and became a princess].

Not Hitch!  The book I think is trash is by Sally Smith, an American journalist.   Hitch is right that the Diana worship was out of control.  Diana would probably have been fine if she had just married a minor aristocratic chinless wonder. 

8 hours ago, viii said:

I will be shocked if that’s her actual dress. It’s not appropriate at all, and doesn’t seem like her style. I do believe the designers are correct, but she will wear something that has never been seen before, let alone walked down a runway. 

That isn't her dress.  The caption clearly states: "The dress imagined: Meghan Markle is reportedly set to wear a Ralph and Russo gown (not pictured) when she walks down the aisle at St George’s Chapel in Windsor on May 19"

19 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Eugenie has a degree in art history and has worked at NY auction house.  She is now working at an art gallery in London.  Beatrice has a degree in something, had several jobs and said she was starting a business, or something.  They get slammed for everything they do.

The problem for all the royals down the ladder but still in the spotlight is that they can have jobs, but then are endlessly criticised for trading on their titles when they try to work.  See Edward's failed film business.  To say nothing of Andrew's failed photography gig, and his genuinely shady business "career."

Good examples of minor royals with successful jobs are the now Lord Snowdon who, as David Linley, started out as a very skilled hands-on cabinet-maker.  He built it into a very successful furniture business.  His sister, Sarah Chatto, is a genuinely talented working artist.  They fly under the radar mostly.

I’ve never given Beatrice and Eugenie any thought beyond that they were respectively born in the same years as myself and my sister, which seemed kind of mildly interesting. And the hats/dresses they wore to Kate’s wedding, haha. Beyond that I really know nothing about them!

Just now, Palimpsest said:

That isn't her dress.  The caption clearly states: "The dress imagined: Meghan Markle is reportedly set to wear a Ralph and Russo gown (not pictured) when she walks down the aisle at St George’s Chapel in Windsor on May 19"

Definitely NOT what the caption stated previously. It clearly stated (paraphrasing, because I can’t remember the exact words now), “The wedding dress Meghan Markle will wear on May 19th.” Good old Daily Fail...

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Beyond that I really know nothing about them!

I don't know much about them, but they do some royal engagements and have some patronages.  I think Bea has dyslexia and has talked about it.  Eugenie had scoliosis and has done good works associated with that.  (Or it may be the other way round!) 

They were not blessed by their parents' scandals either.

10 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

If we're allowed to play fantasy dress up, I would love to see her in a structured satin gown and wearing the Teck Crescent, my personal fave tiara. 

fb0148808323027824a03b2313f6b0be.jpg

scan0025.jpg

You have excellent taste.  

I think the Teck Crescent is a distinct possibility.  Apparently it is on loan to Camilla at the moment but she hasn't worn it publicly yet.  http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/04/tiara-thursday-teck-tiaras.html

We'd have to compare it to the Halo, though, because Meghan's wedding tiara can't be bigger than Kate's.

I don't like fringe tiaras.  They are too spiky.  The Strathmore Rose is a bit clunky and apparently very fragile ...

If she ends up with a loaner, and not a new tiara, I still hold out for the Cartier Bracelet Bandeau.  I love the simplicity of that and she can pick some color for the center strand.  

Yeah, I’m pretty capable of reading and the caption didn’t say that earlier. They must have gotten a lot of feedback and corrected it. 

Those asking about the York sisters - did you know Eugenie is recently engaged? She is getting married in October. 

They were the first royals I participated in guessing games for. When they were born, our teachers gave us lists of names used by royals in history and we tried to guess what they would be named. I remember maths lessons (statistics, probability - I guess they had to link it to the curriculum somehow). Nobody suggested Beatrice or Eugenie - Victoria was the most popular guess for both. I also remember Beatrice’s birthday because it’s 8.8.88 and my teacher was impressed with the numbers.

Before that, I was an enormous fan of the ‘Fergie bow’ and taffeta. Bless my mum, she bought me a fabulous white one which I wore everywhere. 

@Palimpsest  Thank you for those tiara links!  I've been having so much fun looking at them and learning about them.  So interesting how they dismantle to be used as bracelets or necklaces or broaches.  So beautifully made like that.  Sigh.....

I like the runway dress with the big sleeves.  I've also been watching to many shows like The Tudors and Versailles, so, I'm thinking big in the dress department if I were doing this. I'd wear it with a big ol' tiara too!   Lol!

Help! I'M HEADED DOWN A TIARA RABBIT HOLE.

If I don't come back, someone send the rescue kittens. (Ferrets freak me out.)

I go down tiara rabbit holes often!!  

There’s a great IG account a.tiara.a.day that I check out often. She covers all sorts of tiaras, not just the BRF and gives the history for all of them. 

I. Love. Tiaras. 

5 hours ago, Destiny said:

If I don't come back, someone send the rescue kittens. (Ferrets freak me out.)

Ferrets don't exactly freak me out, but I'm not really fond of them either. My experience of ferrets is trying to hold them for a vet. They're all neck and hard to keep hold of! And even the descented ones are a bit um, smelly. But, I can easily understand how people like them and I'm happy with our rescue ferrets, Grappa :ferret: and what's-her-name :ferret:, and all their friends. (I can't remember the other one's name. :( )

But for @Destiny, only rescue kittens! :face_cat: :face_cat: :face_cat: :face_cat: :face_cat: :face_cat:

I'm like the least girly girl in the history of humanity, but if I had access to some of these jewels, I'd have fun wearing them, not gonna lie. I might form a tiara addiction to rival that of @HerNameIsBuffy!

6 hours ago, Destiny said:

I'm like the least girly girl in the history of humanity, but if I had access to some of these jewels, I'd have fun wearing them, not gonna lie. I might form a tiara addiction to rival that of @HerNameIsBuffy!

I have nowhere to wear tiaras, but I think I'd pop one on around the house ocasionally.

There'a a famous picture of Princess Margaret wearing a tiara in the bath with fabulous 60s hair.  It was the Poltimore - real whopper.  I can't get the image to post, dammit.

31 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I have nowhere to wear tiaras, but I think I'd pop one on around the house ocasionally.

There'a a famous picture of Princess Margaret wearing a tiara in the bath with fabulous 60s hair.  It was the Poltimore - real whopper.  I can't get the image to post, dammit.

Here ya go! I believe this was taken by her photographer husband that we saw in season 2 of the crown.screen-shot-2017-10-22-at-10-32-04.png.f8a18cbeb098a9e1d1c231cd894d2d76.png

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived