IGNORED

Joy & Austin 23: Still Sticking Around

Jellybean

Continued from above.

‘Joy and Austin’ currently appears to be code for the driftiest of thread drifts, most recently about what grown adults will do for the reward of a sticker or two.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stickers sound fun. I run 5Ks for dollar store medals, so I’d probably do some stupid crap for a sticker. :P

Ooooo I'm not at all caught up with this but I would do so many things for a sticker.

I ran my first 5K for chocolate. They gave us chocolate milk at the end, some truffles and a chocolate martini (if you wanted to wait in the line). I think there were shirts (and maybe the medal said it too?) that said "I run for chocolate". 

Sigh.... I want to start running again...

Kids get stickers from me for good work...well every child gets a sticker when their therapy hour is over, because in 45 minutes I will always find something they did great. I do not always have stickers, so it is not something they get after every session, it is still something special. Here in Germany at Aldi or other supermarkets they give you stickers when you shopped for an amount of money, like every five euros you get one sticker pack. Mostly they have themed stickers with books where you can collect them. So... When one of these supermarkets has a special sticker collection going on, you can bet your money on the fact that I will shop only there to get as many various stickers as possible. My parents will ask for them when they shop, because they know my kids at work love them. And Mr. Scrabblemaster never forgets to ask. The kids will tell me that I should shop more, mostly when they only need one special sticker to have their book full. It's really cute. The days when these little five year-olds come into my room with their Disney or FIFA sticker book and tell me that they only need number 58 and if they can look through my collection, these are the funny days. 

Mr. S. once came home from Aldi with many many sticker packs and I asked how much money he spent. He told me, not that much, but he flirted a little bit with the woman at the cash point and ended up getting a whole lot more than he should. :tw_flushed:

5 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

Kids get stickers from me for good work...well every child gets a sticker when their therapy hour is over, because in 45 minutes I will always find something they did great. I do not always have stickers, so it is not something they get after every session, it is still something special. Here in Germany at Aldi or other supermarkets they give you stickers when you shopped for an amount of money, like every five euros you get one sticker pack. Mostly they have themed stickers with books where you can collect them. So... When one of these supermarkets has a special sticker collection going on, you can bet your money on the fact that I will shop only there to get as many various stickers as possible. My parents will ask for them when they shop, because they know my kids at work love them. And Mr. Scrabblemaster never forgets to ask. The kids will tell me that I should shop more, mostly when they only need one special sticker to have their book full. It's really cute. The days when these little five year-olds come into my room with their Disney or FIFA sticker book and tell me that they only need number 58 and if they can look through my collection, these are the funny days. 

Mr. S. once came home from Aldi with many many sticker packs and I asked how much money he spent. He told me, not that much, but he flirted a little bit with the woman at the cash point and ended up getting a whole lot more than he should. :tw_flushed:

I loved those sticker books when I was a kid! I was just talking about them the other day. I never managed to fill a book because the sticker packs were expensive so I rarely got more than 2 or 3 packs of a certain theme. But they were so much fun!

When I was little I had a friend that got two whole boxes of packs of stickers for a Beauty and the Beast album. Someone she knew worked at the place where they burned unsold magazines and stuff and they were supposed to be ruined. 

Even though we had insane amounts of stickers we couldn’t fill the whole album. There was still one sticker missing. 

At my last job, I was managing our interns. Last summer, we had a FANTASTIC intern. Seriously amazing. Would have hired her full-time if she wasn't going to grad school in the fall.

Anyway, I once asked her to do something really lame (no idea what it was), and as a joke, because the task was so lame, I went all "Great job. You get a sticker!!! :)" on her when she'd finished the task. She replied (all excited) "do I really get a sticker???" and so it became a thing. I went out and bought shiny and sparkly stickers and a little booklet for her, and I'd give her stickers for the most random things, from coming up with a great idea on a project to taking a good selfie, I would always write a little note in her booklet what the sticker was awarded for. It became a really fun thing for the entire team. Eventually everyone participated and came to me with "Ally* should get a sticker because she made excellent coffee today." It was really fun and kind of bonded the whole team, I think. :) Some of my colleagues and I actually became really good friends with the intern. Good times!

*not her real name

I work with engineers. I'm trying to imagine their reactions to being given stickers. I think there would be a range from confusion to horror. Possibly revulsion. I love "my guys" (verrrrry few women in my organization) but I don't think the reception would be positive. Lol

My high schoolers get to put stickers on a chart when they pass off sections of their music for me. They pretend that they're too cool for it at first, then it's suddenly, "Wait, can I have blue??" "I want a red one!" 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I work with engineers. I'm trying to imagine their reactions to being given stickers. I think there would be a range from confusion to horror. Possibly revulsion. I love "my guys" (verrrrry few women in my organization) but I don't think the reception would be positive. Lol

I work in a real estate office setting. If I gave anybody in my office a sticker I think they’d wonder what was wrong with me. I am squirming at the idea of it.

Maybe it's because stickers are used as incentives when we are little, so they are a positive reward to adults too?

Idk. My five year old loves stickers so much and she loves to give them out and receive them.

I don't understand stickers. Once you stick them on something, you can't get them off, and you certainly can't stick them on something else. Stick, and you're done. I might just be weird, but I don't get it. 

I put stickers in my journals. I go through 3-5 notebooks a year and it's fun to make a note about what the stickers are about.

Here are some recent ones I received: a heart from my friend's three-year-old daughter, a small bumper sticker from a brewery, an M&Ms ad-type sticker, and a backstage pass for a Pearl Jam concert. They all have fun memories associated with them and I don't feel like they sit around gathering dust like other cheap keepsakes sometimes do.

10 hours ago, JillyO said:

At my last job, I was managing our interns. Last summer, we had a FANTASTIC intern. Seriously amazing. Would have hired her full-time if she wasn't going to grad school in the fall.

Anyway, I once asked her to do something really lame (no idea what it was), and as a joke, because the task was so lame, I went all "Great job. You get a sticker!!! :)" on her when she'd finished the task. She replied (all excited) "do I really get a sticker???" and so it became a thing. I went out and bought shiny and sparkly stickers and a little booklet for her, and I'd give her stickers for the most random things, from coming up with a great idea on a project to taking a good selfie, I would always write a little note in her booklet what the sticker was awarded for. It became a really fun thing for the entire team. Eventually everyone participated and came to me with "Ally* should get a sticker because she made excellent coffee today." It was really fun and kind of bonded the whole team, I think. :) Some of my colleagues and I actually became really good friends with the intern. Good times!

*not her real name

That's a really fun idea. Not only does it make the receiver smile, but it can also boost employee morale, too (which a lot of jobs are sorely lacking in).  :: thumbs up ::

As a mom, I’m not keen on stickers. There’s 3 spots in my house where I can’t get the damn stickers off & it bugs me! Wood and old metal.  if you can manage to get some of it peeled off, it still looks crappy with the remains. For a while, Ariel stickers were my sworn enemy after someone gave her a packet. They would randomly appear on things when I turned my back. She was about 5. She also put a trail of ballet slipper foam stickers going up our wooden stairs. Even today you can see the outline of the damn stickers cause I did not pull them up right away!

This kind of reminds me how I learned in college that when you vote you get a "I voted" sticker, but my area never did it at least when I first voted in person for my senior year of high school. So imagine my 23 year old self (aka almost 2 years ago) when I got handed one, like you just gave me $100 dollars.

It's the little things!

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

You could give 'em stickers for "you weren't an asshole today" says the woman who worked with engineers...

I always liked getting the I Voted sticker. We moved to Oregon a few years ago and it’s all vote by mail here. It’s really taken a lot of the fun of out the process :tw_confused:

Also, my son is almost five and has never liked stickers. We tried sticker charts and he had no interest until we made them worth money. Now when he completes a chart he gets a dollar, so he’s all about the stickers as currency lol. 

One of the bummers opabout the latest change in weight watchers (back in December) was the demise of the reoccurring 5 lb loss star.  My leader lets us request bravo stars, which they haven’t gotten rid of, instead.  Yes, adults do want stickers.  

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My original post which began this sticker madness drift was about an office of engineers. Old school, middle aged, often surly men. I started handing them out as a joke but it got to be quite competitive, especially for the sparkly ones. I think you might be surprised by their reactions! 

Somewhere I still have my excessive childhood sticker collection. Used to love going to pick out a new pack of Sandylion stickers! 

4 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

This kind of reminds me how I learned in college that when you vote you get a "I voted" sticker, but my area never did it at least when I first voted in person for my senior year of high school. So imagine my 23 year old self (aka almost 2 years ago) when I got handed one, like you just gave me $100 dollars.

It's the little things!

Agreed about the little things! I don't think of myself as crazy about stickers, but I recently gave blood with a local blood bank instead of the Red Cross, and I realized I missed my standard "Kiss me I gave blood today" sticker.  And my 22 year old self was delighted to get to choose from a variety of colors for my arm wrap (Red Cross has never given me a choice, and there was lavender!)- so maybe we are all 5 on the inside?

A trashcan.

Spoiler

9BC98BF3-ABE2-4973-9699-820BB8FCD979.thumb.jpeg.ac037f5556eaa63f9af29e138d743f58.jpeg

A computer

Spoiler

C18A9636-BCD6-41F9-BDE1-E85860D315F2.thumb.jpeg.6008610b4104f0b5389dc28ed171e743.jpeg

A memento box.

Spoiler

A191C200-862F-4206-B091-11A2E84EE0C8.thumb.jpeg.70f60766a43f1e00da95984c4707b123.jpeg0A1F0CEB-8811-4523-8A5E-A7D742B98DB3.thumb.jpeg.88debb1c9752928378867d69cc4c53a9.jpeg

Always a place for stickers :) 

On 06/05/2018 at 1:44 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

You are wrong.  The right sticker will make anyone smile.  Even if the answer is a sticker that says " I hate stickers".  EVERY fandom has stickers.  YOIU ARE A STICKER BIGET.  Just saying.  

On 06/05/2018 at 5:01 PM, Chocolatedefrauded said:

As a mom, I’m not keen on stickers. There’s 3 spots in my house where I can’t get the damn stickers off & it bugs me! Wood and old metal.  if you can manage to get some of it peeled off, it still looks crappy with the remains. For a while, Ariel stickers were my sworn enemy after someone gave her a packet. They would randomly appear on things when I turned my back. She was about 5. She also put a trail of ballet slipper foam stickers going up our wooden stairs. Even today you can see the outline of the damn stickers cause I did not pull them up right away!

This "as a mom" one bothers me the MOST.  Stickers are the best fine motor skill work your kids could be doing.  

OH THEY STICK TO THINGS!!!-  It's paper and literally the cheapest adhesive possible. Most stickers wash off with soap and water, seriously. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived