IGNORED

Jinjer 38: Bun in the Oven

Jellybean

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michelle preheated her oven every month with the fertility charts. Lesson learned: only preheat your oven if you want to end up with 19 buns.

3 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I guess she enjoyed kneeding Jim Bobs doughy pasty buns well enough... 

:brainbleach:

I never preheat the oven for frozen pizza (or when I cook lasagna). It will go in and after the stated time I have a look to decide how much longer it needs. 

Now, for baking I always preheat religiously. But I am generally very correct with baking recipes. In my experience it makes for a much better final product (of course the recipe has to be good) if every gram is right and all ingredients are at exactly the right temperature. Cooking is much more forgiving...

I'm a follow the directions to the t type cooker, so I pre-heat for everything. I didn't even know people didn't pre-heat until reading this thread. :laughing-rollingyellow:

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I never preheat the oven for frozen pizza (or when I cook lasagna). It will go in and after the stated time I have a look to decide how much longer it needs. 

Now, for baking I always preheat religiously. But I am generally very correct with baking recipes. In my experience it makes for a much better final product (of course the recipe has to be good) if every gram is right and all ingredients are at exactly the right temperature. Cooking is much more forgiving...

I also never pre-heat for pizza, potatoes or partially baked bread (I don't know the English word for this), it never really matters.

For baking recipes it is different because it is much more exact. I suck at baking anyway, cooking is more my thing.

This is OT but I hate the term “bun in the oven” for pregnancy, as well as anything referring to a baby “cooking”. It just squicks me out. 

Oh and I preheat. For everything. 

43 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

This is OT but I hate the term “bun in the oven” for pregnancy, as well as anything referring to a baby “cooking”. It just squicks me out. 

Oh and I preheat. For everything. 

Most of the cutesy phrases used about pregnancy squick me out.

I don't mind this thread title though - it's really clever and responds to the current thread drift. lol

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I remember when my boy was really new - I had to take him with me to basically - the DMV to get a health card or something. It was in a small town - and I chose it specifically because there were never more than 4 people in there (including the 2 who worked there). Anyway - as I was walking out - a gentleman held the door for me and said "WOW! That baby is fresh out of the wrapper!" 

And 5 years later - I still don't know how I feel about that. 

I think that's sweet. Especially from a man - generally they don't make any sort of fuss over/mention a baby. :)

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I abhor cutesy phrases (and a lot of euphemisms in general) used for anything.

People should say what they mean.

I don't get how "knocked up" is a euphemism for pregnancy.... someone explain.

20 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

someone put sperm up somewhere 

48 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I don't like pregnancy euphemisms either... Not sure where knocked up is from but thats usually the only one I use and i only say it  facetiously.

28 minutes ago, nst said:

someone put sperm up somewhere 

I still don’t get it. I know it as an extremely common euphemism but I don’t see the logic. If nothing else, having sperm ‘put up somewhere’ is fairly general to many sex acts and I don’t see that as being specific enough to explain why it’s used to mean pregnancy.

I’m generally with those who dislike euphemisms for pregnancy. For lots of things, actually. Death is another thing that attracts many euphemisms, perhaps to soften the blow. I accept that most euphemisms are used without malice, but I prefer not to use them myself. I didn’t lose my dad. I don’t believe that he ‘gained his angel wings’ or that he has passed on to a better place. He died many years ago and I still miss him - using euphemisms doesn’t change that.

13 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

TMI! TMI! Nike

Fun fact: Most newer ovens will indicate that they are preheated before they reach the set temperature. Learned this from my FiL who repaired appliances for a living. When he tested my "new" one (the one that came in the house when we moved), it takes it about 20 minutes after the indicator goes off to be the proper temp. So if you are preheating for baked goods, be aware. You can test it yourself with an oven thermometer if you have one. 

I don't preheat when I put in meats to bake, frozen pizzas, etc...they are done when they are done. I do preheat and pay attention to the exact timing when baking cookies, cakes, etc...

That was one real shocker when I trained in patisserie @louisa05 - ovens lie! I had two oven thermometers at different spots in our old oven (I recognise this is overkill) but even different parts of that very old oven were very different temps 

At first I didn't understand that thread drift about ovens was literal and tried to read the responsies as euphemisms for sex and pregnancy. 
It's late, ok? 

16 hours ago, zcccrv said:

Michelle preheated her oven every month with the fertility charts. Lesson learned: only preheat your oven if you want to end up with 19 buns.

Reminds me if this part of Kid Farm where "Jean" is writing on her calender. Ovulation she can remember, but can't remember if her kid's name is Betty, Brenda or Barbar

Spoiler

Capture+_2018-03-29-21-52-55.png

16 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Spoiler

5abe780e0ac14_tumblr_ooct1fvjfi1uipssao1_500(1).gif.9757dc0a9d53c9afefecdfe0a86e53f8.gif

Even Jinger is terrified! :wtsf:

Pass the brain bleach! :brainbleach:

jinjer went to Magnolia bakery again and oh wow you can't even tell she's pregnant in that picture. 

4 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I can't answer your question,but I do have a hilarious story.I'm American.I took German in high school.My German teacher told us that as a teen her mother had a friend from England...the phone rang ..it was her mother's friend "Susan??I knocked your Mother up this afternoon..."German teacher drops the phone,laughing hysterically...the friend was confused..German teacher mother explained what "knocked up" means here in the US....she didn't know and said she had said that to others.Kind of like "shag on the beach" is a dance here in SC>

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived