IGNORED

Jinjer 38: Bun in the Oven

Jellybean

4 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

jinjer went to Magnolia bakery again and oh wow you can't even tell she's pregnant in that picture. 

I know, at first I thought it must be an old photo. But it's just the way she's posing and the fact that she's wearing a loose shirt. She's also definitely carrying smaller than her sisters did, though, so maybe (hopefully for her sake) she'll give birth to a smaller baby...

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I know, at first I thought it must be an old photo. But it's just the way she's posing and the fact that she's wearing a loose shirt. She's also definitely carrying smaller than her sisters did, though, so maybe (hopefully for her sake) she'll give birth to a smaller baby...

She really is carrying small. I can see her having a 6 lb baby girl. 

I wonder if the term 'knocked up' has anything to do with knocking shops. I really hate the term 'preggers'  or 'preggo' or 'up the duff'. Bun in the oven seems almost nice compared to them. I think it is a great topic name though considering the thread drift on ovens.

I think the cooking thing is because cooking a baby (in the literal sense) would involve the death of the baby. Which is precisely *not* what you want in a pregnancy.

My oven takes forever to turn off. You turn the knobs etc and the light goes off but the sound carries on for ages. 

I've heard "fixed up" a lot more than knocked up. Not certain about that one either. Although sometimes, I'm not sure I want to know. 

25 minutes ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

I wonder if the term 'knocked up' has anything to do with knocking shops. I really hate the term 'preggers'  or 'preggo' or 'up the duff'. Bun in the oven seems almost nice compared to them. I think it is a great topic name though considering the thread drift on ovens.

I agree, those terms are so stupid and sound uneducated.

2 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm personally a fan of PREGANTE. Or PREGANANANT. 

HOW IS BABBY FORMED

The phrase "knocked up" was first noted in 1813. It may have come from the auctioneers who knocked down a slave. She was then knocked up by the buyer. The English version derives from the industrial revolution, when a man with a pole would knock on the window to wake up the workers. Before alarm clocks.

First, I preheat for EVERYthing. But pizza, oh man, I use a stone and crank the oven and it up to 500F, which is as high as mine will go!

Second, I despise the term ‘baby bump’.

(trying to get more posts to see what FJ classification I get, next. Yes, I know I could look it up, but I want to be surprised!)

Guys. You've jinxed me or something. I was making cheesecake today and followed the recipe exactly, preheated the oven and everything... and it ballooned up like a souffle, for some reason. Had to scorch the top just to get it cooked. Then of course it deflated, got all lumpy, and cracked... I'm going to chop off the top and cover it in a cherry glaze to hide its sins, but damn. Baking thread drift always means doom for me.

2 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

jinjer went to Magnolia bakery again and oh wow you can't even tell she's pregnant in that picture. 

She’s not standing, back sprung and jutting out her abdomen. She looks normally pregnant, albeit with a more average sized baby.

I like Jinger more for NOT forcing it! 

I hope she’s happy.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm personally a fan of PREGANTE. Or PREGANANANT. 

I honestly feel like half of the questions in that video could have come from Duggar daughters, what with their education coming from the SOTDRT.....

For those who may not have seen this very funny video, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShUeudtaFg

I think the pic is cute. 

I thought knocked up had something to do with knocking boots? That's odd to me too.

I also don't like most cutesy names for things like this. 

And seeing the way people ask questions about pregnancy is scary. 

11 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I don't get how "knocked up" is a euphemism for pregnancy.... someone explain.

I found this on Quora just now:

Screenshot_20180330-204657.jpg And now that I've gotten caught up I see that @Bad Wolf has already mentioned this. Sorry for the repeat!

6 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I've heard "fixed up" a lot more than knocked up. Not certain about that one either. Although sometimes, I'm not sure I want to know. 

Interesting. I've never heard of fixed up before, but I have heard knocked up very often. 

2 hours ago, ShebrewDefrauder said:

For those who may not have seen this very funny video, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EShUeudtaFg

I've seen it like four times and it still makes me laugh hysterically at points.  I think it's because of the way the guy reads the malaprops.

Wait... I've seen the photo of Jinger wearing knee-length shorts, but she's wearing blue jeans now?  :jawdrop:  Where have I been?!

4 minutes ago, watchdog said:

Wait... I've seen the photo of Jinger wearing knee-length shorts, but she's wearing blue jeans now?  :jawdrop:  Where have I been?!

you must have been under a rock.:laughing-rollingyellow: Jill wears Jeans too and has a nose ring. 

6 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

Second, I despise the term ‘baby bump’

Yes. Especially gossip rags and headlines that write it as if it is an accessory that can be removed--like "celebrity takes her baby bump to...". Because it's a field trip for her belly which she can leave at home any time she wants. 

Along the same lines as the video in terms of sheer ignorance -  I had a conversation years ago with a young married coworker who said she’d been trying unsuccessfully for a baby.  She thought she must only be fertile in the evenings but because her husband was a shift worker that’s why they hadn’t got pregnant.  I explained in very simple terms her fertile days, and how to check her cervical mucus.  I feel somewhat responsible for the baby that was born 10 months later and hope to goodness that she didn’t homeschool!

I don’t mind many of those terms describing pregnancy. The fixed up on though is annoying. You don’t have to get “fixed” by being pregnant!

I like the more traditional terms though. Like “being in good hope” (don’t know if this phrase is even known in English languages). Or the normal ones like pregnant.

I'm another one who dislikes cutesy pregnancy terms--and just cutesy terms in general. Preggers, preggo, baby bump--all irritating. I actually don't mind the multi-word terms like "knocked up," strangely. For some reason I also get annoyed by all the dh, ds, dd, etc that you see everywhere. Like how hard is it to write "my husband" and why does he have to be dear every time you refer to him and also dh is not a name at least write "my dh" if you have to use it. Nothing against FJers who use these terms, though, it's my irrational pet peeve and therefore my problem. 

But nothing comes close to the worst word in the world--sexytimes. Whyyyy do you need this word? Just say sex! Sex does not have to be cutesy and twee!

My mum still refers to pregnant woman as “expecting”.  I just say someone is pregnant, or that so and so is having a baby.  

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived