IGNORED

Maxwell 19: Life is Still Boring

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I'm not a fan of putting up signs on one's walls, either. Or individual letters (a favorite of HGTV's Joanna Gaines). They look housewife-y.

I totally see (and agree with) your point; I don’t care for signs or letters on my walls either. That being said, I stumbled across this at Target;  I don’t think it’s very housewife-y though.......

DE3B3D9A-792D-4BE4-AADE-A6084BA6FCC7.jpeg

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@catlady, I see that someone else besides me likes to play with those electric letters at Target!  I can't remember offhand what rude words I made with the letters though.

ETA: Joanna Gaines' Magnolia line at Target confirmed for me that her taste is all in her mouth.  UGH!   At Christmas, she had this enormous tree skirt several feet high of galvanized metal.  It was hideous!  That pretty typical of "design aesthetic".

I realize that this wouldn't be allowed to played in Maxhell, but I can't help myself:

If you say "shiplap" three times into a mirror, Joanna Gaines will appear and fuck up your decor.

CAN'T. STAND. THEM.

23 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

If you say "shiplap" three times into a mirror, Joanna Gaines will appear and fuck up your decor.

CAN'T. STAND. THEM.

I think what drives me nuts is that faux-rustic aesthetic. It's the same thing that bugs me about bro-country music: girl, please, you wouldn't be caught dead doing actual manual labor, but yeah, show us how "country" and "rustic" you are with your artfully pre-rusted twee sculpture you got at Target. It all reminds me of the song Panderin' by Bo Burnham:

I walk and talk like a field hand,

But the boots I'm wearin' cost three-grand

I write songs about drivin' tractors

From the comfort of my private jet

I could sing in Mandarin

And you'd still know I'm panderin'

Huntin' deer, chasin' trout

A can of Bud Lite with the logo facin' out

I tried to watch Fixer-Upper, but it just bugged me how generic everything looked. It's one thing to have a style or an aesthetic, but Joanna Gaines just applies that generic faux-rustic-for-suburbanites look to everything and it's gone from looking kinda cute to looking like if a space alien was trying and failing to create a home-like environment for the Hoo-man. 

New post about "Resurrection Sunday" 

A part of me wants to send them a message about how wonderful Easter is. Wonder if they would allow a comment like that to go through.

9 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

New post about "Resurrection Sunday" 

A part of me wants to send them a message about how wonderful Easter is. Wonder if they would allow a comment like that to go through.

It's the blog post you have when you don't have a blog post.

Easter is the day of the year when I walk in fellowship with my Lord & Savior, the Cadbury Bunny. (I realize that this comment would never get approved of by Stevehovah.)  

22 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I want a Be Mediocre Today mug. 

In honor of you and @Destiny

il_570xN.1360083282_2hor.jpg

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@catlady, I see that someone else besides me likes to play with those electric letters at Target!  I can't remember offhand what rude words I made with the letters though.

ETA: Joanna Gaines' Magnolia line at Target confirmed for me that her taste is all in her mouth.  UGH!   At Christmas, she had this enormous tree skirt several feet high of galvanized metal.  It was hideous!  That pretty typical of "design aesthetic".

You should see what my friend who is a lesbian Episcopal priest does with those things....

Well we know they won't try any April Fool stuff. I'm a little disappointed Steve didn't try to connect Jesus' resurrection to April Fools; like this is an ultimate "prank" on the devil.

Joanna Gaines is so predictable.  White cabinets with subway tile for the kitchen.  Shiplap everywhere.  Every single damn show no matter whether it's really appropriate for the house or not.  Blah.

well that post was boring for sure. notice it's stuck in family news how the flip is that family news. 

No one is allowed to say "shiplap" in my house. I'm also in the process of getting rid of all the damn greige walls the previous owners thought were perfect. If the paint in my house was named after someone, it would be called Maxwell.

Joanna would love the bones of my house, but would absolutely tear out the oak cabinets and breakfast bar to replace with open front white barn wood shelves and a gigantic reclaimed marble-topped kitchen island. 

I'm a bit late to the party, but someone up thread mentioned Chris making pizza with his kids. The blog post made it into an annual thing and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. He makes pizza with his children ONCE A YEAR? Some of us call pizza night a once a week, non-celebratory Friday evening dinner plan. That is next level ridiculous. That family is together 90% of the time and they only do this once a year? If that isn't the case and Chris actually makes pizza with the kids a couple times a month, then Sarah's crap writing is to blame. I'm not sure which is worse. 

Poor Sarah wishes the blog readers Happy Resurrection Sunday.  As in the past they will have the family dinner.  Lets hope Judgy Chelsy gave her MIL some pointers.

16 minutes ago, AllisonWndrland said:

No one is allowed to say "shiplap" in my house. I'm also in the process of getting rid of all the damn greige walls the previous owners thought were perfect. If the paint in my house was named after someone, it would be called Maxwell.

Joanna would love the bones of my house, but would absolutely tear out the oak cabinets and breakfast bar to replace with open front white barn wood shelves and a gigantic reclaimed marble-topped kitchen island. 

I'm a bit late to the party, but someone up thread mentioned Chris making pizza with his kids. The blog post made it into an annual thing and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. He makes pizza with his children ONCE A YEAR? Some of us call pizza night a once a week, non-celebratory Friday evening dinner plan. That is next level ridiculous. That family is together 90% of the time and they only do this once a year? If that isn't the case and Chris actually makes pizza with the kids a couple times a month, then Sarah's crap writing is to blame. I'm not sure which is worse. 

I'm surprised there is a Maxwell man in the kitchen even once a year. 

18 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I'm surprised there is a Maxwell man in the kitchen even once a year. 

John and Jesse cooked occasionally. It was usually Christmas morning breakfast. I just went to the blog to look...Sarah captioned one of the photos with this gem: "John's biscuits were quite amazing." 

18 minutes ago, AllisonWndrland said:

"John's biscuits were quite amazing." 

I bet they are amazing...I’ll see myself to the prayer closet now. 

What I hate about those signs (and letters, and big clock faces) is that you're giving prime wall space to some generic crap from Hobby Lobby or a Pinterest tutorial-- don't you own any art? Have you never walked around a flea market and noticed a print or painting that really speaks to your personal aesthetic? Never saved a poster from a concert or art exhibit? You don't have any friends who are into drawing or printmaking? It doesn't need to be pricey. I have loads of more interesting stuff on my walls and other than the cost of getting a few things framed, none of it cost more than $20.

5 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

What I hate about those signs (and letters, and big clock faces) is that you're giving prime wall space to some generic crap from Hobby Lobby or a Pinterest tutorial-- don't you own any art? Have you never walked around a flea market and noticed a print or painting that really speaks to your personal aesthetic? Never saved a poster from a concert or art exhibit? You don't have any friends who are into drawing or printmaking? It doesn't need to be pricey. I have loads of more interesting stuff on my walls and other than the cost of getting a few things framed, none of it cost more than $20.

besides some family pics my walls are bare. I am not a fan of things on the walls. I have bought my mom some of those "generic signs" because I know they are something she will enjoy 

I saw a rerun of Nate and Jeremiah Saturday morning on TLC.  They were renovating a house that a woman had inherited from her mother.  She wanted to keep the mid-century vibe in the house that they'd shared and Nate and Jeremiah delivered.   They had wallpaper made from the patterns of some of the mom's fabric.  They used period-appropriate fixtures in the bathroom.  I was worried a bit about the kitchen because this woman had a glorious vintage gas range.  (I hope the N&J didn't trash it but sent it to one of the vintage appliance places in Southern California.)  They did at least replace the appliances with Smeg which are pretty darn retro.  They also found a source for chrome cabinet hardware and edged the quartz countertops with aluminum like an old Formica countertop would have been.  The tiles on the wall were pink square tiles.  It was a beautiful restoration of the house.  Joanna Gaines would have done none of that. 

9 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Well we know they won't try any April Fool stuff. I'm a little disappointed Steve didn't try to connect Jesus' resurrection to April Fools; like this is an ultimate "prank" on the devil.

I think Steve might be an ultimate prank of the devil.

On 3/31/2018 at 6:59 PM, catlady said:

I totally see (and agree with) your point; I don’t care for signs or letters on my walls either. That being said, I stumbled across this at Target;  I don’t think it’s very housewife-y though.......

DE3B3D9A-792D-4BE4-AADE-A6084BA6FCC7.jpeg

Funny story with the letters. My ex husband and I were at Target one time. I can be in there for hours. I was browsing thru the curtains, walked down the next aisle looking for him, and he arranged letters similar to these to say “Help Me”. I figured he had suffered enough and we left. 

12 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Easter is the day of the year when I walk in fellowship with my Lord & Savior, the Cadbury Bunny. (I realize that this comment would never get approved of by Stevehovah.)  

I'm sure it wouldn't, though I'd love to see Stevehovah's face as he read it---You go, FloraKitty!

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Reminds me of a dentist I went to (very briefly)  She was an amateur painter who covered every damn inch of her office with her pictures.  Those pictures, and her shrill barking at her assistants, made me find another dentist pretty quick.

(Full disclosure here--I have one of my paintings hanging in my home. Only one, and Grampwych likes it.)

6 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

besides some family pics my walls are bare. I am not a fan of things on the walls. I have bought my mom some of those "generic signs" because I know they are something she will enjoy 

To each his own, but bare walls make me so uncomfortable! Hanging pictures is one of the first things I do when I move to a new place. Until then it doesn't feel like I really live there.

Our walls...yeah.  My motto is "nothing if not eclectic."

We're Orthodox, so - icon corner in the northeast corner (Stevehovah would get the vapors I'm sure.  IDOLS).  Victorian religious-themed needlepoint by the front door (inherited from MIL; I'm a needleworker and I love the age and patina it has).  Shaker peg shelf that my husband made years ago with cool antique family photos on top.  

The largest piece of art in the room is a Charley Harper poster my husband had framed for me for my birthday a few years ago.  It gives a great graphic punch in what is otherwise a really homey room. 

I would have all the walls covered with family photos and vintage needlework pieces BUT my husband and my older daughter are minimalists who love bare walls.  We go in cycles of them humoring me, and then nearly bare for awhile.  :D

charley harper sierra range.jpg

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived