IGNORED

Maxwell 16: At least one Maxwell got fed for Thanksgiving...

samurai_sarah

Sarah's request for the sharing of "1 special Christmas tradition" pissed me off. Christmas traditions are not animal crackers ffs! They are so controlling- even with their five blog commenters- that it infuriates me. I realize that I'm probably irrational but in all honesty they should be grateful that anyone reads their boring ass blog and spends precious moments of their life contributing to it. If a reader wants to contribute two traditions is it really going to snarl up their blog? And it's ONE Steve. Tell Sarah to stick with either words or symbols. Damn dummies rile me up. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

The photo with Calia and Steve switching shoes caught my attention.  She looks like, "How & why is this funny?"  

In Maxwell Land that is some funny stuff. They’ll laugh about it for years. It’s the most random thing Steve and Teri did all week. 

1 minute ago, Odd1Out said:

In Maxwell Land that is some funny stuff. They’ll laugh about it for years. It’s the most random thing Steve and Teri did all week. 

Along with the cheese paper eating debacle. 

57 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Along with the cheese paper eating debacle. 

I will always upvote any reference to cheese paper. Or pizza cutters.

1 hour ago, Odd1Out said:

Week? Week? Nah, this is the most random thing since the cheese paper. Oh, there was that thing with the rattling glasses case too. So full of fun and joy and spontaneity this family! Makes me green with envy; no, no, the other one, green around the gills. I knew  it involved green

If one of the girls ever marries, will they then refer to her offspring as the "Bob Smith" family? Will they vanish their own daughter?

Oh ofcourse they will.

Just read Coward Steve's latest Seriously email.  He thinks his family are friut.  If that's the case then he's the lowest hanging fruit out there.

If Steve is a fruit, he's like an apple that looks all shiny and perfect on the outside but is all brown and with a worm on the inside.

@Lea Some people have talked about what they thought Stevehova would say about it a while back (because I doubt the "girls" would be able to read anything without His approval)

Don't mean for this to sound like "why are you so late; this is old news!" Just letting you know that people have snarked on it, if you want to look :)

4 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

@Lea Some people have talked about what they thought Stevehova would say about it a while back (because I doubt the "girls" would be able to read anything without His approval)

Don't mean for this to sound like "why are you so late; this is old news!" Just letting you know that people have snarked on it, if you want to look :)

Oh, thank you! I guess I didn't go back far enough to find the snark (I think I was reading her post date as Dec 16, but now I see that's the photo post she did). :) Will do!!

On 12/4/2017 at 6:07 PM, bertnee said:

Why do they have a family portrait with Steve, Teri, and the unmarrieds??? THERE ARE 3 OTHER SIBLINGS. That is fucking weird. Even if all the siblings are married adults, it is normal to do a mom/dad/siblings photo if everyone is there. Their "extended" family definition is ridiculous.

Yes! This is exactly what I was wondering. Are the marrieds not considered to be "in the family" anymore?

10 hours ago, Lea said:

I am really surprised to see this on the blog of a future Maxwell daughter-in-law!! What will the Maxwell "stay-at-home daughters" think of this?

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 12.08.31 PM.png

I bet they don't think it applies to them. I really think they think of themselves as usefully employed, great conversationalists. I'm not sure Chelsy even means it as a dig. Her standard for what it means to know  how to 'handle herself and work in public' and not qualify as a sahd certainly does not meet mine - she's lived at home until 26, working for her parents and the family band. She's cooler and way more fun than the maxwell girls but she's basically living the exact same lifestyle. She probs means this as a dig to those sahd who aren't even pretending to work or go to school. 

It strikes me that the sisters are not only unprepared for single life in the real world, they are not even prepared to be wives.

I mean, can they open a bank account and balance it? Can they deal with a mechanic or a plumber? Do they know how to pay bills online? I would assume they are all things even a fundie SAHW needs to know. Not all husbands would have the time and the inclination to do those things on top of being the sole breadwinner.

3 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

I bet they don't think it applies to them. I really think they think of themselves as usefully employed, great conversationalists. I'm not sure Chelsy even means it as a dig. Her standard for what it means to know  how to 'handle herself and work in public' and not qualify as a sahd certainly does not meet mine - she's lived at home until 26, working for her parents and the family band. She's cooler and way more fun than the maxwell girls but she's basically living the exact same lifestyle. She probs means this as a dig to those sahd who aren't even pretending to work or go to school. 

If they don't pretend to work or go to school, what do they do all day? Do you mean like Duggar type sister moms who are just raising their own siblings?

And a lot of people live at home until 26 in the secular world too, btw. I consider myself lucky to have been able to move out at 17 and be basically self-supporting by 21, but a friend of mine lived at home until she was, I think, 27 to try to save money/not have to pay rent. Though, granted, she was working and not for her family.

Thank God we didn’t get the Poppy Seed Loaves recipe. We get that multiple times but no post about how to cut a certain leafy green vegetable with a certain rounded cutting implement...?

6 hours ago, meee said:

If they don't pretend to work or go to school, what do they do all day? Do you mean like Duggar type sister moms who are just raising their own siblings?

And a lot of people live at home until 26 in the secular world too, btw. I consider myself lucky to have been able to move out at 17 and be basically self-supporting by 21, but a friend of mine lived at home until she was, I think, 27 to try to save money/not have to pay rent. Though, granted, she was working and not for her family.

Living at home to save money and living at home the way the fundie daughters do it are two very different things. I'm pointing out that while chelsy is criticizing the concept of a stay at home daughter, she and Allison are, by my definition, exactly that. Living at home under their fathers protection until they get married. Working, but only in the family trades, where they can be surrounded and supervised by family. Even that hotel is a family hotel, staffed by family. It's great that the girls get to work there, but it doesn't seem like they'd have the opportunity to pursue hotel mgt if it was a non-family venture. 

Eta: yes, like the duggars girls, who didn't even pretend to do anything productive while waiting for Prince Charming (except Jill), or the Morton ladies.  I'm not sure she was trying to call out anyone specific, though. Just criticizing a term that she doesn't think applies to her (but I would say very much does haha). 

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

no post about how to cut a certain leafy green vegetable with a certain rounded cutting implement...?

I'm convinced Steve is withholding that advice out of spite because he knows we really want that post! That isn't very Christian Steve. :angry-nono:

20 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

Even that hotel is a family hotel, staffed by family.

No it's not. They have non family staff. They've posted pictures of staff members and they are not any Bontragers I recognize. Also they have many non family customers they are interacting with on a daily basis without family supervision. 

I think it's because I know how the Amish and Mennonite do things first hand. They are not always chaperoning daughters. The thought is actually pretty laughable. The Amish I've interacted with all my life have way too much to do than constantly keep eyes on their adult daughters. This is quite unlike the Maxwells in this one particular area.

Did you know Caroling is a "Lost" tradition??  I didn't know that. My church goes caroling, friends go caroling, I've gone caroling with AHG girls in the past, with Cub Scouts etc. Only in Maxhell is it in danger of being "Lost" but then they never leave Maxhell so wouldn't know this!

Now, who the you-know-what is "Liddy:?????

10 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

I bet they don't think it applies to them. I really think they think of themselves as usefully employed, great conversationalists. I'm not sure Chelsy even means it as a dig.

On the not be SAHD thing--The quote gets it.  After all, isn't it Mary who works for "four companies"??? [All owned by the family, of course]

I want to point out that there are similarities and differences between Amish/mennonite beliefs and fundie beliefs.

-Modesty: A/M are usually even more modest than fundies. In both dress and behavior. A/M aren't show offs because it could come off as prideful (a sin). Men even tend to dress modest. We know fundies show off. The Bontragers have showed off although much less than many fundies like the Duggars and Bateses. PDA is a big no no for A/M before and after marriage. You can kiss before marriage but you better not do that in front of everyone. Fundies love to PDA all over the place after marriage. A/M keep that shit private after marriage. 

-Productivity: This one is huge. Being called lazy is basically being called a piece of shit in he Amish immunity. It's ingrained early on. You are going to be productive even when you are a kid. This is why Chelsy and Allison are not like typical fundie unmarried daughters. They can't be unproductive. A/M can't get rid of this part of them very easily since it is such a huge part of generations of A/M. So forcing another family member to constantly watch a SAHD is not productive to them. That chaperone could be doing something better with their time. So they will be allowed to work unchaperoned. 

-Frugal: This is a commonality between the two groups. The Amish are known for being frugal and it's actually much easier for them. They don't have a lot of bills that fundies have (ex: electric bill or car payment if Amish. Mennonite do have those bills) I've been told by family members that certain Amish families  have tons of money but you would never know it by looking at them because they all dress the same and have similar homes. Chelsy and allison posting about money management isn't surprising to me. 

-Religion: This is what I know least about. I've never been to an Amish or Mennonite service. But I know that some of their beliefs overlap because the Amish are religiously conservative in things like no sex before marriage, being gay is a sin, etc.

I can understand why being fundie is appealing to Amish or Mennonite folks since they keep a lot of the same religious beliefs while getting to do things like wear modest worldly clothing, getting to show off, using worldly things like the Internet, and still feel that you are going to heaven. 

Disclaimer: each Amish and Mennonite group will have slightly different rules depending on their elders. But the ones I mentioned are commonalities amongst most A/M. 

ETA: I can't believe I forgot patriarchy! They are both patriarchal. Men lead while women submit. Both in the church and in the home. They really aren't all that different in this aspect. 

We usually don't get people caroling door to door.  But I have read stories of local churches in my area who's children and adult singing groups who go to nursing homes and stuff and sing for the residence. I think that's sweet probably because some may not get a lot of visitors. 

@JermajestyDuggar this is fascinating. I don't know that much about the Amish/Mennonite, but I do have one question - what, exactly, does "fundy" mean? I thought it was simply "extremely religious/fundamentalist" but you are differentiating. Are Amish/Mennonite not fundamentalist, then?

1 minute ago, meee said:

@JermajestyDuggar this is fascinating. I don't know that much about the Amish/Mennonite, but I do have one question - what, exactly, does "fundy" mean? I thought it was simply "extremely religious/fundamentalist" but you are differentiating. Are Amish/Mennonite not fundamentalist, then?

Oh I think the Amish are the OG fundies! Lol. But I'm just talking about the Christian Homeschooling fundies we talk about on FJ that started gaining steam in the US in the 70/80s. 

I don't have some idealized idea of the Amish like most people. I went to high school with an ex Amish and she had nothing good to say about them. One of the biggest problems with the Amish is that they often "keep things to themselves." Meaning they rarely get police involved in crimes. They handle it themselves (the elders) and it's often handled very poorly.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived