IGNORED

Maxwell 16: At least one Maxwell got fed for Thanksgiving...

samurai_sarah

I see that they all went out to proselytize and hand out poppy seed loaf whilst caterwauling at their neighbors.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caroling IS less of a thing than it used to be; maybe that's what they mean. In my city, it's very rare, and I've never been caroled to in my own home. One friend, who recently moved out to the country put on her Facebook of how they had carolers last night, but that NEVER happened in our city! So, they do have a valid point. And now that I think about it, I want to get together with people to go caroling!

I have actually never seen door to door caroling in real life. People caroling in malls and public places, yes. But actually walking up and down the streets? Nope.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I have actually never seen door to door caroling in real life. People caroling in malls and public places, yes. But actually walking up and down the streets? Nope.

Same with me. It usually church singing groups that do it in malls around me. I also think in my area people tend to not answer their door unless they are expecting someone. 

I'm almost happy door-to-door caroling is dying out, I'd feel so awkward opening the door and then having to stand there cold while someone sings to me. Sounds like a worse version on not knowing what to do when people sing Happy birthday to you. I also think being serenaded to is awful. But imagine, it's cold and you're not in outdoor clothes and just have to stand in the doorway freezing cold while you were in the middle of doing something and politely smile and wait for it to be over. UGH

I get anxiety thinking about door to door carolers. What do you do when they're done? Do they want a tip? Will a "thank you" suffice when you didn't ask them to come to your house and use up your minutes? This is a lot of pressure. :pb_lol: 

I actually saw an older lady at her door listening to the Carolers on her porch the other day! She looked like she enjoyed it. I think you really need to know your audience. Some will love it and some will hate it. No one needs to hear me sing. You may as well just listen to a cat being run over. It's about the same. 

Any time I've gone caroling, we went to the homes of people we knew, not total strangers. The Maxwells mostly seem to visit their neighbors. I don't think they go to strangers' homes, either.

1 minute ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Any time I've gone caroling, we went to the homes of people we knew, not total strangers. The Maxwells mostly seem to visit their neighbors. I don't think they go to strangers' homes, either.

I think you are right. They have been doing it for years. I’m sure the neighbors are use to it by now. 

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I can see maybe a church group going to the homes of other members to sing, not going around from house to house on your home street. 

People from our church go caroling to homebound members' houses. But we set it up beforehand so they know when we're coming. It's usually families that go and a lot of the older members enjoy seeing the children. And some, not all, will invite us inside to sing so we're not keeping them at their door freezing. 

I think you are right. They have been doing it for years. I’m sure the neighbors are use to it by now. 

I'm sure they turn their hearing aids down before they open the door. 

"Reginald, that strange family is here again. Yes, they have that damn poppy bread, as always. Don't forget to say something godly so they don't try to prosletyze at us."

10 minutes ago, goldbu said:

People from our church go caroling to homebound members' houses. But we set it up beforehand so they know when we're coming. It's usually families that go and a lot of the older members enjoy seeing the children. And some, not all, will invite us inside to sing so we're not keeping them at their door freezing. 

That makes perfect sense. Setting up a time to come. My temple has kids & adults who go to home bound members homes and blow the shofer (rams horn) during the Jewish High Holy Days. It usually done the Sunday before the holidays because during the week would be harder. 

41 minutes ago, freethemall said:

"Reginald, that strange family is here again. Yes, they have that damn poppy bread, as always. Don't forget to say something godly so they don't try to prosletyze at us."

"Damn!, they saw the lights on. Can't pretend we're not home now. Let's get this over with..."

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

"Damn!, they saw the lights on. Can't pretend we're not home now. Let's get this over with..."

In that situation I’d be sorely tempted to open the door naked, no matter how cold it was.

i wonder what they'd do if someone answered the door immodestly dressed.  well, Steve would be too busy weeping to sing, anyway. 

On 12/21/2017 at 10:30 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

One of the more interesting topics on FJ is the coming together of fundie families through marriage. It's funny because fundies are so precise in the forming of their own families. They homeschool, cut internet access, monitor all social activity, and so much more. But then suddenly there's this OTHER fundie family that might do a few things differently. They have to bend to this other family and their differences if they want their children to marry and start a huge family of their own. How hard that must be for some fundie parents! Of course you get families that seem to fall in love with one another (ex smortons and Bontrager/Bowers) because they seem to have so much in common. But we now see how it turned out with the smrtons. Boy do they seem to hate eachother now. 

I completely agree--I feel like one of the main draws to the fundie lifestyle (and remaining in it) is the false sense of control and order over life and your family's life (both now and "eternally"). If you can just do everything correctly and perfectly...then everything will be OK and all existential dread can be batted away. So you set up your family and your family "rules" in the most perfect way, but in order for that to continue, you need a "next generation", so you have to tolerate/include some other family to keep it all going, and the tension and frustration that must come with that is so fascinating when you've had such a tight ship for so long!!

Also....who are the smortons and where do I go to learn more?

Oh boy the smortons.... They are the families the smiths and the mortons that intermarried three couples (4 if you count the grandparents). It all imploded when a smith son who is married to a Morton daughter was charged with child rape. The Morton daughter divorced him. He is still in jail awaiting trial. It's taking forever. The Morton family and the 2 smith daughters are now completely on the side of the Morton daughter who divorced the smith son. The smith parents and their 8 adopted children still at home are defending the child rapist (well the adult adopted children at home. The littles haven't said anything) Some spats have happended on fb and then some passive aggressive posts. It's pretty safe to say the families are completely divided when they were once very close. 

I can see the Dollar Tree thing happening, but I think for maximum “lesson learning” you would then continue that blog post on with “here’s how we paid it forward.” But no, it’s Maxhell and there’s nothing to actually be done for other humans. 

Melanie should have said when someone does something like that, you turn and do something to pay it forward or buy the next person in lines things. That post just sounded like take when people give and thank them, not do for them as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened to Melanie. They are adorable well groomed white children. 

I think what the guy did is nice but I've witnessed way too much shittiness towards poor children of color. I'm a bit bitter.

And I totally agree they should have "paid it forward."

15 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Give 'em plenty of time to turn off the lights and hide.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived