IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

1 hour ago, Frog99 said:

@lilwriter85 that probably is her thought process. Wouldn’t common sense (I know, I know) suggest that we want the most qualified providers, regardless of their status as male or female? 

And I think you are right- she doesn’t care about her fan girls. 

Over the past several months, we've seen Lori's fangirls post on FB about different struggles mainly financial ones that they face and Lori never gives them sympathetic responses. In some cases she ignores and later deletes some of the posts without responding or she gives them shitty advice.  I think a good percentage of her fangirls live in rural or under served areas like you mentioned. If they have bought into Lori's teachings about women not working as physicians or dentists, they might somehow be willing to suffer the attached issues of shortages.

Lori also done a number of posts where she basically says that men are always smarter than women. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she views all female providers as incompetent. If Lori is put into a nursing home in her advanced age, she's going to likely be cared for mostly female staffs. She'll probably complain about how those female CNAs, nurses, food service workers, or custodians are taking away jobs from men.

51 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

Lori claims that nail polish causes cancer.  I wouldn't rule out the possibility of nail polish having adverse health effects, but she's stretching the possibility all out of proportion.  However...what if a woman's husband wants her to get her nails done? Is she supposed to risk cancer (according to Lori), and an early death, just to please him? 

This past summer Lori posted a picture of toe nails painted. Maybe, Ken requested that. I agree with you and others she is stretching on this topic.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think sometimes people find some comfort in figuring out the cause of a loved one's cancer. I don't think this is the case with Lori, though; as I don't think she is capable of even caring that much that her mother is ill. 

It is irresponsible to assign such a cause like nail polish, anyway; when you are...you know...dumb like Lori. Sometimes a reason can be found, other times cancer is just a spin of the wheel, in my opinion 

For instance, my dad started smoking at age fifteen and died of lung cancer at the age of sixty three. Even though he had stopped smoking five years prior, it would be reasonable to connect his cancer to smoking. My grandmother, however, also started smoking at age fifteen. When she died at age eighty five, her doctors had been amazed at all her test results. Her lungs were very clear and healthy for a smoker of her age. My college roommate's mother never smoked a cigarette in her life and she also died of lung cancer.  Lori would not be able to tsk tsk at that wonderful woman and whisper about cigarettes  

There are not always pat answers and I don't think now is the time for Lori to post about this connection and point out that her ill mother has used nail polish all her life. 

Cancer has sucker punched us this year. My mother in law died two months ago from metastatic renal cancer. My father in law is battling esophageal cancer. It could be from his past smoking habit or it could be from his exposure to Agent Orange as a combat medic in Vietnam. It really doesn't matter to us WHY both of my husband's parents got cancer at the same time. What matters is that we do and have done our best by them as they fight (fought) this battle.  What matters is that it is a heinous disease and Lori just needs to keep her trap shut about it. 

Good grief, I can only imagine the horrible things she says to her mother and father at this time. What a disgusting person she is. 

9 hours ago, SueEllenMishke said:

So Lori' s post today...she claims her mom got cancer because she used nail polish and nail polish remover...

I'm gonna need some time to process this before I have thoughts :dontgetit:

I'll be at the ER getting my sprained eyes checked.  I rolled my eyes so hard they actually hurt.  Her ideas on what cause cancer are....interesting (and by interesting I mean she's a whackadoodle of major proportions)

I'm pretty sure if nail polish/remover were a carcinogen that  it would have big warnings on it by now like cigarettes do and they wouldn't train people to go into careers that promote it's use.

Does she even think for once second before she posts this WTFery?  Don't answer, it was rhetorical.

So Lori's mother is dying believing that she caused her own cancer by painting her nails. Imagine her pain and regret. I hope Lori is not encouraging her mom to believe this.

I understand seeking control and trying to find the cause of a terrible illness. I know a lot of people who become health nuts after cancer strikes their family, and some of them (IMO) go a bit over the top. But the woman is dying, for God's sake. Who cares what might have caused her cancer--it's too late, anyway. 

A good daughter would say, "Mom, these things happen. Of course it wasn't your nail polish. People wear nail polish all the time and they don't get cancer. Don't worry yourself about it and certainly don't blame yourself." 

After all, Lori's mom was a "health nut" all her life. Imagine her pain if she felt that her vanity--painting her nails--caused the one thing she'd been fighting to avoid her whole life.

1 hour ago, lilwriter85 said:

If Lori is put into a nursing home in her advanced age, she's going to likely be cared for mostly female staffs.

I wouldn't be so sure on this.  I've been in 5 different SNF and they have all had a large percentage of male employees, in various capacities from nursing, aides, PT/OT, etc.  I don't care whether my providers are male or female, I just want them to be good.  IME, which I realize is far from universal, I have yet to have a bad male nurse.

The last time I was in a SNF my mid-shift nurse was usually the same guy and we NEVER had to remind him of any of my quirks or what meds I needed or what time I needed them (I have RLS so my night meds need to be before that starts or I'm in a world of misery).  The other shifts and his day off we had to tell the same female nurses (except on amazing daytime nurse) the same things over and over for 8 flipping weeks.

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

It certainly blows away her claim that all cows at the turn of the century were grazing in pastures before they were slaughtered in a humane and hygenic way. The filthy conditions in the book (which were taken from real life) are absolutely horrifying.

There is a series of books written by a veterinarian named James Herriot. He wrote about English farms in the Yorkshire dales during the 30's. The conditions were filthy. Tuberculosis was common as were other diseases that were prevalent before antibiotics. The animals grazed in pastures and picked up untreatable parasites. Many farmers would continue to milk cows and sell the milk even if the animal was clearly ill. 

3 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

I'm guessing in her mind she believes that women getting accepted in medical or dental school denies men admission and later jobs.  She doesn't give a shit about healthcare professional shortages in other areas and if any of her fangirls are suffering because of that I doubt she cares at all. She is just about telling her fangirls that it's evil for women to work or to become doctors or dentists.

Lori has said previously that there will always be women who refuse to follow god's perfect plan so there will always be working women. I bet she sees them as bound for hell anyway so she might as well make use of them.

A mum in the chatroom posted about her child who had a sore throat which she treated herself for a day and then took to doctor who diagnosed strep throat.  She posted about a woman who was jailed for not taking her child to a doctor for antibiotics for their strep throat infection.  Lori's reaction antibiotics are evil and more people die from antibiotics than strep throat.  At least some put her straight on this but this lady is not for turning to borrow a Phrase

49 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

There is a series of books written by a veterinarian named James Herriot. He wrote about English farms in the Yorkshire dales during the 30's. The conditions were filthy. Tuberculosis was common as were other diseases that were prevalent before antibiotics. The animals grazed in pastures and picked up untreatable parasites. Many farmers would continue to milk cows and sell the milk even if the animal was clearly ill. 

Lori has said previously that there will always be women who refuse to follow god's perfect plan so there will always be working women. I bet she sees them as bound for hell anyway so she might as well make use of them.

She better be nicer because if there's a hell, she'll see them there. 

3 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

...what if a woman's husband wants her to get her nails done? Is she supposed to risk cancer (according to Lori), and an early death, just to please him? 

Yes, and she is supposed to risk her health to keep birthing babies against medical advice as well.

@lilwriter85 I can’t imagine Lori as a patient. I can envision her treating people horribly and when able, blogging about their perceived shortcomings and sin. 

@usmcmom i can’t imagine the year you must have had. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

@lilwriter85 I can’t imagine Lori as a patient. I can envision her treating people horribly and when able, blogging about their perceived shortcomings and sin. 

@usmcmom i can’t imagine the year you must have had. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts. 

Thank you. My father in law will have surgery next month. We were actually at the oncologist's office with him the morning of his wife's funeral. I fear my husband has not had time to properly grieve his mother because the crises just keep coming. It is just unreal. 

Thank you so much for your kind words. 

2 hours ago, SuperNova said:

Oh, I've read his books so many times. I even read the first four to my daughter. Yes, "muck", as he called it, played a big role in his life and the lives of the farmers he visited. In his fifth book, he writes about a chronic condition (I forget the name) that he picked up as a result of his exposure to so many pathogens. Life was far from pristine and hygenic in the Yorkshire Dales.

James Herriott would probably laugh at Lori's dislike of vaccinations. A large part of his income came from vaccinating cattle against bovine tuberculosis. People who drank raw milk from unvaccinated cattle could become very sick from bovine tuberculosis, which would go into their bones. I know someone this happened to. She has been disabled all her life as a result. The vaccinations saved many people from terrible illness.

James Herriot? Ooh love those books. The condition sounds like the one he developed after exposure to Brucella abortus which caused spontaneous abortion in cows, where he started off freezing cold then ran a high fever and began singing, before feeling depressed the next day. Although he did discourage his daughter from being a vet because he thought it was too rough a profession and couldn’t imagine her doing it (in the late-ish 40s/50s when not many girls were vets) he did at least encourage her to be a doctor (he did change his mind later when the profession had changed and more girls went into vet school).

@Hisey Herriott with two t's! Thank you. I also wasn't sure if Dales was capitalized. About every five years or so I go through the whole series over again. They are for the most part a happy and peaceful read. 

@mango_fandango He said he felt some lingering regret about turning her away from the profession but felt happy that she was so satisfied as an M.D.. And the book that included the Brucella abortus story was heartbreaking.

I’ve been so irritated with Lori lately that I’ve been checking her page less and less. Yay! But she’s still so vile and fascinating that I can’t fully stop... LOL. I told my husband that FJ is basically group therapy for me. It truly does help me sort through feelings and thoughts about fundie-related-issues.

Lori, cancer has been around since the beginning of humans (no matter when anyone believes they began LOL). Toxins and chemicals are everywhere, sometimes even in “natural” or “organic” materials. I obviously do  not advocate that people go DRINK nail polish... but getting painted nails is probably not going to kill anyone, especially if done in moderation. Most women I know who like it get them done every two weeks or so. Even at that rate, I would find it hard to believe that nail polish would be the root of a serious problem. People are exposed to SO MUCH crap every day that it’s probably healthier to worry less and just stick to moderation in everything rather than struggling to be totally “toxin free” (unless necessary for other reasons... like true allergies or something). I am NOT someone who does things in moderation so cudos to people who can! But my most unhealthy vice is diet soda and so aside from that I think I’ll survive haha

All this talk of James Herriott's books has made me decide to put them on my winter reading list. I haven't read the series in decades. And I've got to find out if my library has the DVDs of the old TV series. Robert Hardy was great as Siegfried Farnon! :my_smile:

2 hours ago, Frog99 said:

I kind of think Lori would be pleasant up until a certain point with healthcare professionals. But, she would probably be the type to ask the women if they have kids at home and then she would probably make some shitty remark to them. I think she would even dislike male staff members who mention that their wives work. I actually think that Lori despises men who are fine with their wives working outside the home.

Outside of a healthcare setting, Lori must have annoyances whenever she sees women working in other fields. If she sees a female police officer-she probably complains that a job was taken away from a man. Another problem with Lori is that she doesn't get that some men aren't going to go into certain fields.

Just watched Lori’s latest “youtube” and I hate to say it but she’s right about the Netti pot being helpful... but still... LORI YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR AND YOU SAY THAT YET YOU STILL GO AROUND TALKING ABOUT MEDICAL STUFF AS THOUGH YOU ARE ONE

8 minutes ago, fundamentallyfearless said:

I’ve been so irritated with Lori lately that I’ve been checking her page less and less. Yay! But she’s still so vile and fascinating that I can’t fully stop... LOL. I told my husband that FJ is basically group therapy for me. It truly does help me sort through feelings and thoughts about fundie-related-issues.

Lori, cancer has been around since the beginning of humans (no matter when anyone believes they began LOL). Toxins and chemicals are everywhere, sometimes even in “natural” or “organic” materials. I obviously do  not advocate that people go DRINK nail polish... but getting painted nails is probably not going to kill anyone, especially if done in moderation. Most women I know who like it get them done every two weeks or so. Even at that rate, I would find it hard to believe that nail polish would be the root of a serious problem. People are exposed to SO MUCH crap every day that it’s probably healthier to worry less and just stick to moderation in everything rather than struggling to be totally “toxin free” (unless necessary for other reasons... like true allergies or something). I am NOT someone who does things in moderation so cudos to people who can! But my most unhealthy vice is diet soda and so aside from that I think I’ll survive haha

There have been some fundies that I stop following for periods of time. With Lori, I can't stop. I think she is much worse than Zsu, Kelly C. and the others. She comes up with batshit crazy theories and any time she talks about past eras it is laughable because she paints a fairy tale that never existed in the past.  A part of me thinks that Lori will eventually have some kind of public scandal.

11 minutes ago, fundamentallyfearless said:

Just watched Lori’s latest “youtube” and I hate to say it but she’s right about the Netti pot being helpful... but still... LORI YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR AND YOU SAY THAT YET YOU STILL GO AROUND TALKING ABOUT MEDICAL STUFF AS THOUGH YOU ARE ONE

I agree, netti pots are helpful. I was hesitant to use one for awhile. But, I still seek out advice from doctors. When it comes to medical advice Lori seems to have gotten more loony lately. I still laugh at her claims about cancer and how her pathologist father never came across it during his years of work.

I see Lori’s attempt to blame her mother’s cancer on nail polish as a deflection from admitting it may very well be caused by genetics (or, at least, genetics made her susceptible to it). If it’s caused by some outside source, then no need to worry as long as she doesn’t do that. 

1 hour ago, SuperNova said:

@Hisey Herriott with two t's! Thank you. I also wasn't sure if Dales was capitalized. About every five years or so I go through the whole series over again. They are for the most part a happy and peaceful read. 

@mango_fandango He said he felt some lingering regret about turning her away from the profession but felt happy that she was so satisfied as an M.D.. And the book that included the Brucella abortus story was heartbreaking.

James Herriott's son, Jim, wrote a loving memoir of his life with his dad. It sounds like the older Herriott was a gentle and kind man, the kind of man who is almost too nice. There is suspicion he was taken advantage of by his partner, Donald, but Herriott seems like the type that would just tolerate bad behavior in order to get along. 

I've often wondered about his daughter, who is still alive today. She divorced and moved back home to practice medicine in their Yorkshire village when she was in her 30s. I wondered what it was like to be a divorced female doctor in the 1950s in rural Yorkshire. Was there a lot of prejudice against her? It seems her parents were enormously helpful to her and assisted in raising her daughter.

Herriott can't be commended for discouraging his daughter from being a vet. OTOH, both his children chose careers in science. I think he must have had a tremendous influence on them. IT sounds like he was a great dad.

So this Beth Moore post is ridiculous and petty. It's pretty easy to understand what she's saying. Okay maybe Noah wasn't the best example, I'd maybe use Jonah instead but idk. It's not very emotional driven, sounds practical to me. In order to be healthy and to share the gospel we need to look outside ourselves and our churches. Also, Idk why this sect of Christianity started hating emotions but it makes me question if they've even read the Bible because it is FULL of emotional expression.

And Lori, I'm assigning you some homework, okay? I encourage to read the stories of both Josephs (in the old and new) because they both had dreams, read Acts 2:17 and Daniel 7 to begin with. For emotions, Psalm 88, John 11:35, Matthew 26: 36-46 are some places to begin. 

And mental illness is a thing, it's not just prayed away. I'm going to assume some of my clients and others there (I intern at a Christian facility) have prayed desperately to have their trouble removed from them. But suffering doesn't just disappear, for many it's ingrained into the body. 

8 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I see Lori’s attempt to blame her mother’s cancer on nail polish as a deflection from admitting it may very well be caused by genetics (or, at least, genetics made her susceptible to it). If it’s caused by some outside source, then no need to worry as long as she doesn’t do that. 

I think this is part of a lot of people's deflections about cancer. If they can pinpoint something they do or don't do that the person they know with cancer did or did not do, then obviously, they never have to worry about a cancer diagnosis themselves. When my dad had cancer, anyone I told would immediately jump on causes (did he smoke? did he drink a lot? was he overweight? did he exercise? did he eat enough of or too little of fill in the blank with random foods or whole food groups?). Because if cancer is genetics or bad luck, then they can't assure that it will never happen to them. 

@usmcmom My dad died of esophageal cancer. It was found at stage iv when surgery is not an option. Surgery is the best hope for remission, so I'm glad to hear your father-in-law is able to have it. Does he have adenocarcinoma or squamous cell? The latter is more often related to smoking or alcohol use. The first is often related to GERD/reflux. The scary thing about reflux is that for many people symptoms do not present as the standard heartburn pain so they don't know they have it. That was the case for my father. They are also leaning toward there being at least a genetic predisposition for adenocarcinoma. 

19 hours ago, Sarah92 said:

Heck my grandpa died in his early 70s from asbestos related lung cancer. He was a carpenter for most of his life and worked on a lot of buildings. When I looked it up it looks like asbestos is naturally occuring (I could be wrong). But it's a good example of the cancer causing stuff we used in the past. 

There was a show I watched (On Amazon Prime) called "Hidden Killers of the Edwardian home".  One of the hidden killers was asbestos.  They knew in the late 1890's that Asbestos led to health problems.  Like fibrosis.  And of course, 20 or 30' years later people started dying of mesothelioma.  It has been used for thousands of years just not on the scale that it was used during the industrial age.  There is no cure for mesothelioma.  

15 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

Lori claims that nail polish causes cancer.  I wouldn't rule out the possibility of nail polish having adverse health effects, but she's stretching the possibility all out of proportion.  However...what if a woman's husband wants her to get her nails done? Is she supposed to risk cancer (according to Lori), and an early death, just to please him? 

Lori wants to live in her little world where she does all the right things (not work, use real foods, trusts God, etc) where nothing will go wrong WITH HER.  She can point her fingers at others who have asthma, cancer, ASD, ADHD, depression, etc and claim "see, if they had just lived like I do, they wouldn't be in this situation".  I have no doubt that continued exposure to volatile chemicals (such as nail polish or remover) is a health hazard.  I personally can no longer get my nails done in a salon because of asthma.  But the world is full of chemicals, it has been full of chemicals for a very long time (like since the beginning of time, water is a chemical) and some toxins are 100% natural.  She herself is definitely at risk (as we all know, her with her Norwex cloth of microbial death).  She should consider herself lucky.  The past she loves to point out as so good, was a helluva lot more deadly than today.  Even with all the added chemicals we have!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived