IGNORED

Lori Alexander 33: Counting Everyone's Calories

6 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

Same.

Does this have something to do with being keepers AT home? 

In other news, the Junia Project shared a quote from Sarah Bessy. Very well articulated thoughts about patriarchy within the church. 

Clearly a true keeper at home sources her own free range, organic nail polish, only in the color of her headships choosing.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.  Reading Lori's "logic" and then reading all of your replies (we are the lost ones according to her) ...  NOPE.  Dont think so.  We are not the lost nor are we confused.  It is Lori and her followers who are not thinking things through in a clear manner.

If this is what Funamentalism does to the mind, I want to thank both my parents for NOT being Fundamentalists.  My mother, a bliever, a Christian, but normal ... and my Dad an agnostic is just fine with me.

The problem is the narrow box that Fundies have to live in.  They are not free to question, to think, to reason ... and  yet God gave us a brain to do just those things.  I'm pretty sure He gets it!

My mom was raised during and right after the Great Depression. Foods weren’t sprayed with toxic chemicals back then 

Yes, they were, Lori. Ever hear of DDT? Did you ever read 'Silent Spring?' (of course not, silly me!) Your mother and mine were born and raised at almost exactly the same time. Synthetic pesticides were being created and used widely throughout the 40s and 50s, formative years for our mothers' future health. Stop reading articles by people trying to sell you something and do some REAL research for a change.

Oooh, I love nail polish and I have some on right now.

I'll report back in 50 years if I'm diagnosed with cancer.

***My mother doesn’t mind me using her as an example of what NOT to do. In fact, if it helps prevent others from making the same mistake, she is happy about it! She has had a good life and has many blessings. She gets teary-eyed just thinking about her family and all who love her. She is ready to go to heaven, though, and be with Jesus. In fact, she can’t wait!

If I was Lori's mum, those tears would be more "where did I go wrong". Raise your hand if you think Lori actually asked her mum if she was okay with using her as an example.

And holy shit, even the Mayo Clinic isn't sure what causes multiple myeloma! Someone tell them about Lori and her scientific investigation!

I wonder if any of Lori's ancestors died of cancer, or died of other causes before any possible cancer could be diagnosed. I don't suppose she would consider family history relevant, since she clearly knows all there is to know about risk factors for cancer.  :pb_rollseyes:

@Loveday thank you for so succinctly putting that. Sometimes the absurdity of her posts is too much for me to process. 

Given the number of nail places in my small city and the fact they are always busy, we would be facing a public health crisis if nail painting is a true causative factor for cancer. 

I haven’t read the Handmaid’s Tale, but I did watch episode 1 of the series yesterday. It was horrifying. I had to walk out of the room for a few moments. Even more so because after stumbling across her page, I realize there are sects that would support that type of society. 

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

Yes, they were, Lori. Ever hear of DDT? Did you ever read 'Silent Spring?' (of course not, silly me!) Your mother and mine were born and raised at almost exactly the same time. Synthetic pesticides were being created and used widely throughout the 40s and 50s, formative years for our mothers' future health. Stop reading articles by people trying to sell you something and do some REAL research for a change.

OMG, has Lori ever read The Jungle? That took place before the Great Depression.

21 minutes ago, Hisey said:

OMG, has Lori ever read The Jungle? That took place before the Great Depression.

I had forgotten about that book- takes me back to a college history class. 

She did say she didn’t learn anything in college...

@Hisey, I'd forgotten about that book, too! I'm sure Lori hasn't read it, either, though. If you asked her, she'd probably say, 'I thought The Jungle was a Disney movie.' :my_rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Loveday said:

@Hisey, I'd forgotten about that book, too! I'm sure Lori hasn't read it, either, though. If you asked her, she'd probably say, 'I thought The Jungle was a Disney movie.' :my_rolleyes:

It certainly blows away her claim that all cows at the turn of the century were grazing in pastures before they were slaughtered in a humane and hygenic way. The filthy conditions in the book (which were taken from real life) are absolutely horrifying.

2 hours ago, SueEllenMishke said:

So Lori' s post today...she claims her mom got cancer because she used nail polish and nail polish remover...

I'm gonna need some time to process this before I have thoughts :dontgetit:

I'm going to blame all the polish posts in the Naugler thread for any future health issues I have! :bangheaddesk:

Some light reading from Upton Sinclair's book:

Spoiler

It seemed that he was working in the room where the men prepared the beef for canning, and the beef had lain in vats full of chemicals, and me with great forks speared it out and dumped it into trucks, to be taken to the cooking room. When they had speared out all they could reach, the emptied the vat on the floor, and then with shovels scraped up the balance and dumped it into the truck. This floor was filthy, yet they set Antanas with his mop slopping the "pickle" into a hole that connected with a sink, where it was caught and used over again forever.

Spoiler

When the children were not well at home, Teta Elzbieta would gather herbs and cure them; now she was obliged go to the drugstore and buy extracts-and how was she to know that they were all adulterated? How could they find out that their tea and coffee, their sugar and flour, had been doctored; that their canned peas had been colored with copper salts, and their fruit jams with aniline dyes?

Spoiler

"De-vyled" ham was made out of the waste ends of smoked beef that were too small to be sliced by the machines; and also tripe, dyed with chemicals so that it would not show white, and trimmings of ham and corned beef, and potatoes, skins and all, and finally the hard cartilaginous gullets of beef, after the tongues had been cut out.

I think Lori believes that prior to the 1970s and the rise of evil feminism that everyone in America lived on a farm and grew their own organic, natural wholesome food as well as free range organic meat.

It never seems to penetrate her thick skull and very small brain that there have been cities, big cities, in America for over 200 years.

Books like The Jungle and Silent Spring as well as photos of the 1890s NY slums by Jacob Riis (How the Other Half Lives)  and James Agee's book on tenant farmers in the South (Let Us Now Praise Famous Men) with photos by Walker Evans show us what life was really like.  Not this lovely pastel Victorian picture of ladies sipping tea and reclining on chaise lounges while handsome manly men pay court to them.  It was often raw, gritty and ugly with disease, unsanitary conditions and grinding poverty. Not an organic vegetable in sight.

Lori lives in a fantasy world of the here and now and believes in a fantasy past that never existed.  That's fine for her, although I feel sorry for anyone so deluded and even sorrier for the people in her life who have to endure her delusions.  The problem is that she commands that the rest of us abandon all logic and knowledge and join her.  If we don't we are evil sinners who hate God and children.

Health risks from exposure to nail salon chemicals is a real thing, particularly for salon workers. I doubt your average user of polish is exposed to enough to be in danger, but the manicurists need more protection than a lot of them get. Me, I'm allergic to something in those chemicals. The one time I got a salon manicure, I was sick by the time it was over. You can buy nontoxic polish remover. It's expensive and not as efficient, but it exists.

http://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/12930-nail-salon-workers-health

On the "no cancer in days of old" theme. Bullshit. Both my grandmothers were born in the 19th century and both died of cancer in their 50s. Both my parents were born around a 100 years ago and both had cancer in middle age.  I'm the first in the crew to make it to my 60s without a cancer diagnosis.

Heck my grandpa died in his early 70s from asbestos related lung cancer. He was a carpenter for most of his life and worked on a lot of buildings. When I looked it up it looks like asbestos is naturally occuring (I could be wrong). But it's a good example of the cancer causing stuff we used in the past. 

Meh I’ve been painting my nails for years and not had any problems yet. It helps me not bite them. 

And I totally chose to have ASD-related anxiety. She’d probably accuse me of lying about the ASD too, claim it was because of vaccines or whatever. (THERE IS NO LINK.)

1 hour ago, Sarah92 said:

Heck my grandpa died in his early 70s from asbestos related lung cancer. He was a carpenter for most of his life and worked on a lot of buildings. When I looked it up it looks like asbestos is naturally occuring (I could be wrong). But it's a good example of the cancer causing stuff we used in the past. 

It is naturally occurring and for a time was used in auto manufacturing, plumbing, construction, etc. Our house was built in 1941- we have a partial basement. When we had the house inspected, prior to purchase, the inspector said the tiles in the unused side portion likely have asbestos but they pose no risk because they are intact. It’s when you disturb it that it creates problems. Our neighbors had their house rebuilt- when the demo crew came in, the house was draped with plastic and the workers all wore suits and masks because they still had the original asbestos siding. 

In Baltimore there were a number of lawsuits related to mesothelioma- 

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Lori lives in a fantasy world of the here and now and believes in a fantasy past that never existed.  That's fine for her, although I feel sorry for anyone so deluded and even sorrier for the people in her life who have to endure her delusions.  The problem is that she commands that the rest of us abandon all logic and knowledge and join her.  If we don't we are evil sinners who hate God and children.

I also feel sorry for the people in her life. They know that a lot of her beliefs about the past and present are total bullshit. I imagine that the people who know Lori IRL laugh at her and talk shit about her behind her back.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:56 AM, Frog99 said:

I also don’t know where she gets the notion that the women in dental and medical school are taking jobs away from men. My region is identified as a healthcare shortage area (medical, ob-gyn, dental, mental health) by HRSA. That’s a federal designation. I would bet that most of her readers also reside in HRSA designated healthcare shortage areas with significant underserved populations. 

I'm guessing in her mind she believes that women getting accepted in medical or dental school denies men admission and later jobs.  She doesn't give a shit about healthcare professional shortages in other areas and if any of her fangirls are suffering because of that I doubt she cares at all. She is just about telling her fangirls that it's evil for women to work or to become doctors or dentists.

Last year when that one post went viral, Lori talked about the female dental hygienist who cleans her teeth said that she agreed with Lori's post. Lori said that the dental hygienist only worked 2 or 3 days a week. In other posts, Lori has trashed women who work part time out of the home. Shouldn't Lori be seeking out a dental practice that has a male dental hygienist to work on her teeth, since female DHs are taking away jobs from men? She also mentioned going to a female ophthalmologist. She benefits from working women in various capacities, but still has the shitty belief that they are taking away things from men.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Meh I’ve been painting my nails for years and not had any problems yet. It helps me not bite them. 

And I totally chose to have ASD-related anxiety. She’d probably accuse me of lying about the ASD too, claim it was because of vaccines or whatever. (THERE IS NO LINK.)

Yeah, same, but not ASD. Have severe anxiety disorder, depression and OCD and medication has helped me greatly. I would not be able to function well at all without it, but Lori can pretend to know more than my doctors and I on how to handle my mental health all she wants. What concerns me is her followers who seem so gullible and eat up anything any "Christian" claims. Mental health is health and she should ought to stop giving advice on things she does not know anything about. She has zero medical training or understanding and doesn't even some to understand her own supposed health issues. 

@lilwriter85 that probably is her thought process. Wouldn’t common sense (I know, I know) suggest that we want the most qualified providers, regardless of their status as male or female? 

And I think you are right- she doesn’t care about her fan girls. 

Lori claims that nail polish causes cancer.  I wouldn't rule out the possibility of nail polish having adverse health effects, but she's stretching the possibility all out of proportion.  However...what if a woman's husband wants her to get her nails done? Is she supposed to risk cancer (according to Lori), and an early death, just to please him? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived