IGNORED

Culture of Life

GeoBQn

1 hour ago, Briefly said:

When I had my tubes tied several years ago, I had to go to a doctor I'd never seen before because the hospital my doctor used happened to be a Catholic hospital and they would not do sterlizations. 

I'm not Catholic, but the hospital I had my tubes tied in is. My OB (who is Seventh Day Adventist, I think) just had to fill out some papers in advance. I think he ended up using the "any more children will cause the mother mental health problems" option. It's interesting the variations in different places.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if there's a fire, and you're Catholic, you don't have to respond? If there's a shooting or an earthquake, and you're a Catholic policeman you don't have to respond? Sure, makes perfect sense. :puke-front:

These people are ghouls. Fire alarms at Planned Parenthood  can save fetus lives. Did they ever think about that? 

If life and personhood truly begins at fertilization of the egg this baby is old enough to vote.

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

These people are ghouls. Fire alarms at Planned Parenthood  can save fetus lives. Did they ever think about that?

This reminds me of an early episode of original recipe Law and Order that centers around the bombing of an abortion clinic. During the bombing, a "good Catholic girl" who went to the clinic to have an abortion was accidentally killed (the writers imply that the intent of the bomb was to destroy the clinic but not kill anyone, since everyone else but the victim, who was hiding in a bathroom, is shown escaping). The woman who ordered the bomb brushes off the victim's death by framing it all for the Greater Good. District Attorney Stone catches her by pointing out that even if the victim was collateral damage, according to her "pro-life" ideology she's guilty for the murder of her innocent fetus.

I have never heard of this priest, so the first impression he's now made on me is a bad one. Would I install a fire-alarm in, say, a neo-nazi clubhouse? Yes, I would. They stand for everything I abhor, but I'd still do it. Not doing it would be unethical! As much as I may loathe them, I still wouldn't want anyone to die in a fire. Especially when such a simple measure can save lives.

Growing up Catholic, our priests and teachers made so much noise about the story of the good Samaritan, who helped without question, while holier-than-thou types passed an injured person by.  That experience, plus my own experiences of being helped and helping, make it jarring for me that a Catholic priest would advise against a simple preventative measure that can save lives. It shouldn't matter whose lives they save!

As for the ridiculous Holocaust comparisons, here's the story of Gisella Perl, who performed abortions on pregnant women in Auschwitz to save their lives: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisella_Perl

I'm sure this would make a lot more sense if I weren't so stark raving mad right now!

What a disgusting priest. Not Catholic, but I thought Catholics were against the death penalty? How then does the priest, even if he does think they are murderers,  think it's OK to not install fire alarms, potentially leading to their deaths? Also, how far does he think this should be continued? Should pro-lifers who work in grocery stores refuse to sell food to people who work at or use the services of Planned Parenthood? His whole statement is completely ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, Mcnapple said:

What a disgusting priest. Not Catholic, but I thought Catholics were against the death penalty? How then does the priest, even if he does think they are murderers,  think it's OK to not install fire alarms, potentially leading to their deaths? Also, how far does he think this should be continued? Should pro-lifers who work in grocery stores refuse to sell food to people who work at or use the services of Planned Parenthood? His whole statement is completely ridiculous.

I can easily see the reich to lifers saying that such people who work in grocery or department stores should be able to refuse to sell to people who work at or are patients of Planned Parenthood.  Along with anyone else they don't like.  All because Jeeeeezus.

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

I can easily see the reich to lifers saying that such people who work in grocery or department stores should be able to refuse to sell to people who work at or are patients of Planned Parenthood.  Along with anyone else they don't like.  All because Jeeeeezus.

There's a strategy used by some protest groups called "tertiary targeting."  Instead of directly attacking a person or organization, they attack any individuals or groups that have a relationship with their primary target so that no one will want to have a connection with them anymore.  For example, in my old town there was a frozen yogurt shop that got viscous hate mail and postings on Facebook because they were going to host a fundraiser for a local family planning clinic.  (The fundraiser was cancelled.)  In a town in Maryland, an anti-choice group picketed a middle school because an abortion clinic's landlord's daughter was a student there.

Some animal rights groups have used this, with violent results.  A lab that did animal testing was under such a big siege that local preschools wouldn't accept the children of employees because they were afraid of being firebombed.

21 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I'm not Catholic, but the hospital I had my tubes tied in is. My OB (who is Seventh Day Adventist, I think) just had to fill out some papers in advance. I think he ended up using the "any more children will cause the mother mental health problems" option. It's interesting the variations in different places.

I didn't even realize that was possible, I probably could have used it.  We had been warned we'd have trouble conceiving (it took us 7 years) and that we might not be able to have any more children.  We eventually decided to just get the surgery for me because we were 30 when we had our daughter and since it didn't happen again and we were getting older, it was time to just take care of it and not worry.  My mother was nearly 30 when I was born and I did not want to repeat that!

@Briefly--I was 38 years old when we had our first child and had my tubes tied when I was 40, the day after I gave birth to our second child. (I think the doctor said that it was easier to do the surgery soon after birth, plus I was already at the hospital anyway.) I think it's easier to convince people that you really don't want any more kids when you're as old as I was! :pb_lol: I was my mom's last child when she was 33, so I guess I just wanted to push the envelope a bit farther. :my_biggrin: (It's actually a bit more complicated than that, but I'm really grateful that it all worked out the way it did.)

22 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

If life and personhood truly begins at fertilization of the egg this baby is old enough to vote.

You know what's disturbing? There are some tweets like your comment, and so many ani-choice people were responding who did not know the difference between an egg and an embryo. I'm incredulous. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:09 AM, AmazonGrace said:

She's probably smarter than a great many voters, too.

Archived