IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

I attended concerts and NHL hockey games while pregnant with all 3 of my kiddos, doc said it was safe long as I wasn't front row next to the speakers at the concerts. There's a lot of layers for sound to get dispersed before they reach baby. It's actually an ok pic.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually loud noises can be stressful to the fetus.  Sound can actually be amplified in the uterus.  Many women report their babies being more active when they are somewhere with a lot of loud noises.  Per the CDC,  prolonged loud noises could cause hearing damage in an unborn child. 

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/repro/noise.html

It probably isn't a problem for a short duration or a one time thing, but for women who work or live in settings with constant loud noise the risk is there. 

On 11/8/2017 at 7:46 AM, SassyPants said:

I think lack of basic knowledge,  true prenatal care with educated professionals, and an overall lack of nutritional concepts and habits is why these ladies get so big and birth LGA babies. They were raised eating cheap " belly fillers" (high fat, salt, sugar, carbs) and that's what they and their pallets desire.

I think they do literally "eat for 2" while expecting-

With Jana's garden, hopefully the younger kids are learning to enjoy less processed foods. I can see her taking an interest in nutrition and exposing her children... I mean siblings to healthier meals. 

I know gardening takes a lot of time and effort, especially when you're trying to establish your plants, but it's so worth it if you have the resources. Or at least that's what I'm told lol. I seem to accidentally kill everything and it's sad. 

Anyway, my grandparents have 8 kids, and I'm sure they saved a ton of money via living on a farm and growing what food they could. I wish the Duggars were able to do that years ago (or maybe they were but it wasn't a priority... my Duggar trivia is lacking). 

Slightly off topic, but when they legitimately didn't have enough food was Michelle cooking cheap processed stuff? I can't imagine feeding that many kids, but wouldn't rice, potatoes, beans, lentils, peanut butter, bananas, homemade bread, pasta and tomato-based sauce, etc have been more reasonable options that may have resulted in less hunger?

It just makes me think of this sweet elderly lady who has a YouTube channel about cooking during the great depression. Her family would legit have rice and lentil soup for dinner all the time so they didn't go hungry. 

Also, amen to the prenatal care and education comment. I hope someone, somewhere has handed them a Jesus-based book on having a healthy pregnancy via science, because the Lord gave us science and stuff. I grew up in the church and something like that just HAS to exist. 

I figured the comment section on Joy and Austin's rodeo post would be a sh*tshow and what do ya know?! It is! Austin decided to wade into the comment section for bit and bestowed this wisdom upon us.

sensitivesnowflake.PNG.e016709cac394fbe41a36a9e5968e7a1.PNG

Where do they get the idea that image of God means physical image?  I was taught it meant spiritual/ moral likeness, as in, ' Be ye therefore perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect.'

If we were all created in God's image - literally speaking, would that mean we should all be clones :my_huh:

If God created us in his image, and he created us both male and female, then it logically follows that God is both male and female.

10 hours ago, LiterallyBananas said:

With Jana's garden, hopefully the younger kids are learning to enjoy less processed foods. I can see her taking an interest in nutrition and exposing her children... I mean siblings to healthier meals. 

I know gardening takes a lot of time and effort, especially when you're trying to establish your plants, but it's so worth it if you have the resources. Or at least that's what I'm told lol. I seem to accidentally kill everything and it's sad. 

Anyway, my grandparents have 8 kids, and I'm sure they saved a ton of money via living on a farm and growing what food they could. I wish the Duggars were able to do that years ago (or maybe they were but it wasn't a priority... my Duggar trivia is lacking). 

Slightly off topic, but when they legitimately didn't have enough food was Michelle cooking cheap processed stuff? I can't imagine feeding that many kids, but wouldn't rice, potatoes, beans, lentils, peanut butter, bananas, homemade bread, pasta and tomato-based sauce, etc have been more reasonable options that may have resulted in less hunger?

It just makes me think of this sweet elderly lady who has a YouTube channel about cooking during the great depression. Her family would legit have rice and lentil soup for dinner all the time so they didn't go hungry. 

Also, amen to the prenatal care and education comment. I hope someone, somewhere has handed them a Jesus-based book on having a healthy pregnancy via science, because the Lord gave us science and stuff. I grew up in the church and something like that just HAS to exist. 

I think it was in one of their books, Michelle discussed how they feed their family in the earlier years when money was tight. Some meals consisted solely of rice in various forms. We also know that food was scare as Jill explained that she used to hide in the bathroom to eat. Also, the Duggars were shown grocery shopping on at least one occasion and most of their food was canned and frozen items, IIRC. Michelle also mentioned that fresh fruit was a very rare treat due to expense. 

I do not think that there was time for much scratch, healthy cooking. Think Potato Buds vs peeling potatoes and powered milk vs fresh. I'm not sure the Duggars talked about the kids drinking milk, although many people believe that cow's milk is not a necessity. We are not cow's milk consumers at all, but we do eat yogurt and cheese and lots of fresh, leafy greens...things I've not seen served in the TTH.

4 hours ago, hollywood said:

He is right, animals and humans are NOT equal. Animals are better. 

I agree some animals are better. 

I also think Animals and humans are all part of the pardon the Lion King reference, the circle of life. The food chain hierarchy and all that. Animals eat animals to survive and humans are evolved animals so we eat them to survive as well. I have to problem with farming cattle and pigs and chickens and what have you. I have no problem with hunting game either as long as you are hunting to feed your family and or friends.  I grew up next to a guy that LOVED deer hunting but hated deer meat, as did his wife. So he would go hunting every year with his buddies and they would by his tag or permit or what ever so he could kill a deer and they would keep the meat.  He liked to mount the heads of the bigger bucks he got, which I think is creepy AF, but what ever.  He didn't hunt for sport he didn't kill the deer take his trophy and leave it to rot, the deer was put to good use.  All that said, eat your animals if you want, but don't be assholes to them while they are alive because they are dying to keep you alive at least we can do it be nice to them and let them enjoy their time here.

I think the Duggars feed their kids more like many of us were raised int he 80's, early 90's.    Processed foods were nothing to  judge about and a good home made lunch was a bologna sandwich on white bread with a slice of Karft cheese.    You can judge them because they don't eat like mainstream, privileged Americans but how they eat isn't so far from the range of normal either.   Looking at the Duggars all raised on that diet,  none of them are overweight except Josh and he only grew fat after leaving the nest.    The rest of them are either average....even Joy, I don't find her heavy non pregnant.   Of 19 kids eating the processed food diet, it's proven for them not to be all that bad.    If you were to take a cross section of American kids today eating "healthier" I'm guessing you'd have a lot bigger kids than the Duggars!    The Duggars can't do anything without judgement even with 19 kids eating that diet and not a one of them over weight!

As far as Joy, I'm firmly in the camp that she was a virgin until the wedding night because if she wasn't she'd be way more self conscious attempting to pass off a 7 month pregnancy for 23 weeks living in the spotlight!   I believe she's 23 weeks in that pic.      Personally, I'll say it,  I think she is absolutely huge for 23 weeks.   I'm guessing she's already put on 25 pounds, that is really huge.

Cats vs Duggars, Christlike Edition

If you....

Get an abortion:

Cats: will still treat you the same because they still love you because you are STILL their precious human, just like God, their love is based on your existence, not your track record.  Duggars: will call you names and judge you, just like Jesus says NOT to. +1 Cats

Are the "Wrong Kind" of Christian:

Cats: don't give a ding dong diddly.  Are you nice?  Are you kind? Do you treat them well?  Then you are good.  Just like in the Parable of the Good Samaritan, Cats judge you by your actions.  Duggars: will judge you, will try and convert you, and will remain loyal to people who do terrible things...just because they have the "right" beliefs.  +1 Cats

Wear the wrong clothes:

Cats: Will love you fully no matter what Duggars: will refuse to look at you +1 Cats

So if YOU were made in God's Perfect Image, DuggarForsythes, and my animals are not...how are they so much more like Christ than you?  Maybe you need to have several seats and think about your life choices, because seriously...not looking great in the comparison.  

46 minutes ago, PVMom said:

I think the Duggars feed their kids more like many of us were raised int he 80's, early 90's.    Processed foods were nothing to  judge about and a good home made lunch was a bologna sandwich on white bread with a slice of Karft cheese.    You can judge them because they don't eat like mainstream, privileged Americans but how they eat isn't so far from the range of normal either.   Looking at the Duggars all raised on that diet,  none of them are overweight except Josh and he only grew fat after leaving the nest.    The rest of them are either average....even Joy, I don't find her heavy non pregnant.   Of 19 kids eating the processed food diet, it's proven for them not to be all that bad.    If you were to take a cross section of American kids today eating "healthier" I'm guessing you'd have a lot bigger kids than the Duggars!    The Duggars can't do anything without judgement even with 19 kids eating that diet and not a one of them over weight!

As far as Joy, I'm firmly in the camp that she was a virgin until the wedding night because if she wasn't she'd be way more self conscious attempting to pass off a 7 month pregnancy for 23 weeks living in the spotlight!   I believe she's 23 weeks in that pic.      Personally, I'll say it,  I think she is absolutely huge for 23 weeks.   I'm guessing she's already put on 25 pounds, that is really huge.

I don't think that there was enough food to go around for many years. Since the show started, I think there probably is far less structure and routine, and fewer meals actually being served than before. In recent years we've seen breakfast as an every person for him/herself (except JB) kind of thing. I'd say in the last 5 years, if Jana's not planning it, serving it and cleaning up after it, meals are pretty much a forgotten part of the day with the exception of on very special occasions. 

In a way, I found it hard to believe Joy ended up getting married so young. I find it harder to think of her being pregnant. :my_confused:

I do hope she is happy. Jinger and Joy were always my favorites.

4 hours ago, PVMom said:

You can judge them because they don't eat like mainstream, privileged Americans but how they eat isn't so far from the range of normal either... If you were to take a cross section of American kids today eating "healthier" I'm guessing you'd have a lot bigger kids than the Duggars!    The Duggars can't do anything without judgement even with 19 kids eating that diet and not a one of them over weight!

Weight isn't the only determiner of whether one is unhealthy. Their typical meals are lacking in nutrition. And "mainstream" and "privileged" contradict one another. Not sure what you meant by that.

And as others pointed out, it seems portions may be limited in the family, which would keep their weights down.

On 11/12/2017 at 1:33 AM, Iamtheway said:

I also have a couple of nursing bras that I still use sometimes since they are the prettiest bras I own. They are not as comfortable but they look very nice. They were quite expensive and I got the first one fitted at a fancy underwear store. Check out the brand Hot Milk if you have big boobs and plan on breastfeeding. 

*Shakes fist at Hot Milk* Being big busted so many times I've been shopping for bras only to go; OMG! big booby sizes and they're not BEIGE! NO WA.....oh, they're maternity bras. They do look very pretty though

On 11/13/2017 at 3:58 AM, Flossie said:

I'm going to assume that this is a serious question, so I'll say that sitting in the crowd at a rodeo probably won't be a problem.  Unborn babies only hear muted sounds from the outside anyway, since what they hear has to pass through clothing, skin, fat, muscle, the uterine wall, in some cases the placenta, and the amniotic fluid.  They mostly only hear the sounds of their mothers bodily functions and her voice.

Yep, that was a serious question. I know fetuses can hear voices from outside, and distinguish between them, that's why parents sing or talk to the bump. So I just thought stadium noises must be so much louder for the fetus. 

I don't know, all of this comes from someone, who, as an adult (and was as a child), is really sensitive to loud noises, and therefore stays away from stadium events. 

4 hours ago, Hokey Pokey said:

*Shakes fist at Hot Milk* Being big busted so many times I've been shopping for bras only to go; OMG! big booby sizes and they're not BEIGE! NO WA.....oh, they're maternity bras. They do look very pretty though

They seem to sometimes do non nursing bras as well. And they are a bit cheaper too. Saw they had a couple on sale on their webpage now. I just need to figure out how to pick the right size. :)

On 11/13/2017 at 6:27 AM, llg1234 said:

I figured the comment section on Joy and Austin's rodeo post would be a sh*tshow and what do ya know?! It is! Austin decided to wade into the comment section for bit and bestowed this wisdom upon us.

sensitivesnowflake.PNG.e016709cac394fbe41a36a9e5968e7a1.PNG

Just as me (and some others) still had some hope for Austin, he comes around the corner with this kind of nonsense ("God is no ape", lol). But who am I kidding, the pregnancy announcement that came with a picture of him at an anti-abortion rally should have been a big warning sign... *sigh*

I don't know if the Duggars were hungry before the show, since Jill seemed to be on cooking duty I took the hiding in the bathroom eat comment more along the lines of eat without having to share something special or help her younger buddies at meals and eat a cold meal. I also don't remember the clip in context. Their church seemed very big on helping, free rent, helping with laundry, meals or extra vegetables from church members' gardens wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if they were, waiting for God to provide, which in their eyes he did with the show.

What is upsetting about this brand of fundamentalism is the mentality of rejecting government help. There are programs like WIC, SNAP, to help kids not go hungry, free or reduced school lunch, which is huge for non-secure food households. Instead, it puts pride above children being fed in a country with more than adequate food resources and large amounts of food waste. That's not okay in my book and I've yet to run across anyone, even the "you shouldn't have had so many kids if you couldn't support them" camp, who feels different when it comes to little ones and full bellies.

23 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

.. and both a Banana and an Apple... 

Oh no, now I'm thinking of Schrödinger's Cat.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived