IGNORED

Courageous is running number 1 at the box office

dawn9476

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there literally nothing else at the theatre? Did they pay off the other film producers so they wouldn't release any new films and would pull all of the older shows? That's the only way I can see that happening. It looks terrible. It looks like I could find something better on Lifetime Movie Network.

They do have a pretty smart marketing technique. Christians are their target audience, and I've heard they did a lot of advertising through churches. Apparently, that's where the bulk of their pre-sales came from (and they're currently leading in pre-sales). It's tough to say how it'll do this weekend overall, but I would be surprised if it's not in the top five. As for critical reviews, they didn't screen the movie for critics, so there aren't that many yet. So far, though, the reviews are negative to mixed. It's currently rated 43% on rottentomatoes.com.

Well I think the market for matinees is a little different than the standard market. It's mostly retired people, unemployed people, and SAHMs.

May I just say that this pisses me off no end??? Didn't Jesus turn over the money-changers tables in the temple????

People would be better off taking the $7.50 - $9/ticket and donating it to a food bank if they want to be like Jesus.

Guest Anonymous
May I just say that this pisses me off no end??? Didn't Jesus turn over the money-changers tables in the temple????

People would be better off taking the $7.50 - $9/ticket and donating it to a food bank if they want to be like Jesus.

Eh, I wouldn't deny Christians wholesome entertainment on the basis that their every penny should go to charity. What bugs me is that it's a shitty movie. (If the preview is representative, anyway. I would rather reorganize my dresser drawers than go see it.)

The rest of the supporting parts are either disappointingly subservient (the women here are all doting housewives) or uncomfortably simplified, including a weird fixation on African-Americans as the urban plague of the community. There’s also the issue of Javier, a jolly Mexican hunting for work, scripted with cringing ay-ay-ay dialogue shared with wife Carmen (Angelita Nelson). This pair is one dwarf luchador short of a Telemundo sketch. Perhaps Kendrick has never spent time with other cultures.

This particular reviewer nails it, I think. Fortunately the judges at Dougie's pet film festival are big stereotype fans.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118043723

It could do 10 million for the weekend :? It looks like lifetime level trash to me but I guess they'll always be market for sappy heavy handed religious movies.

On the bright side! The Lion King could go number one again, for the thrid week in a row. I just love seeing my favorite movie of all time kicking ass :D

Is there literally nothing else at the theatre? Did they pay off the other film producers so they wouldn't release any new films and would pull all of the older shows? That's the only way I can see that happening. It looks terrible. It looks like I could find something better on Lifetime Movie Network.

From Deadline:

Not surprising that it’s trending in front right now because faith-based movies engender a lot of pre-sales as church groups bus to the theaters.

Go to the Yahoo user movie reviews- I think out of 38 there was 1 bad review. Although 50/50 looks to be pretty high up there with the viewers also

This is a pretty slow time of year for movies. All the summer blockbusters are gone and the holiday blockbusters aren't out yet. It's quite possible that there really isn't much of anything better to see.

This is a pretty slow time of year for movies. All the summer blockbusters are gone and the holiday blockbusters aren't out yet. It's quite possible that there really isn't much of anything better to see.

Good point. The Milwaukee Film Fest has its annual film fest this time of year, and I bet one of the reasons why they do it at this time is because of the lull.

And instead of watching "Courageous" I'll be seeing this movie tomorrow with a friend.

http://www.magpictures.com/pageone/

they did a huuuuuuuuuge amount of advertising on mainstream TV for this movie. I had to watch the preview like 100 times..okay, I would have if I didn't DVR stuff so I could fast forward through the crap commercials. I think all the mainstream advertising played a big part in how much money it's making now. Hopefully they spent all their money on advertising and won't make it back;)

Guest Anonymous

Logged on to my Facebook page not too long ago and there were so many new status's mentioning going to see Courageous tonight. Must be nothing else to see. I think i'll pass.

Date night tonight and we saw 50/50 I suggest seeing it I really liked it. Heck it will probably be better because it doesn't have a cameo of the Duggars :)

I just saw 50/50 tonight to and recommend it very much. When I got home Fireproof was on tv and a trailer for Courageous came on. I only lasted five minutes into Fireproof...

I just saw 50/50 tonight to and recommend it very much. When I got home Fireproof was on tv and a trailer for Courageous came on. I only lasted five minutes into Fireproof...

Did you cry? I cried I always cry though even hallmark commericals

I agree with leena_nor there was a quite bit of advertising for Courageous. There was a thread here recently about the trailer for Courageous being apart of trailer packages for movies like The Help and a few other big Hollywood movies. I think probably the increase in advertisement and better filming techniques probably attracted more people to see this movie.

I babysat for a couple that went to see it, they thought it was great but the funny part was them talking about all the people they knew at the theatre. It wasn't advertised at my church but I'm betting the other churches in town did advertise because of the crowds waiting to see it. I'll be going to see it sometime this week because I am my Fundy sister movie critic (a very funny position to be in...) I hope I can truthfully say that my older nephews will be okay seeing it (6 & 8), because it will at least expose them to some of the previews not censored by my sister and brother in law.

I just realized that all of the Sherwood Pictures have male protagonists and focus on issues of manliness. Do you think they will ever get around to a movie with a female main character? Or would that be considered inherently unexciting, since the conclusion would ultimately be for her to be a nice submissive wifey? Can't have her be an athlete, firefighter, or cop, since that might give the women in the audience ideas!

I just realized that all of the Sherwood Pictures have male protagonists and focus on issues of manliness. Do you think they will ever get around to a movie with a female main character? Or would that be considered inherently unexciting, since the conclusion would ultimately be for her to be a nice submissive wifey? Can't have her be an athlete, firefighter, or cop, since that might give the women in the audience ideas!

I wonder what their next movie will be about. You're totally right about the manly man themes. I bet their next movie will be about soldiers or something. If it's about a woman, I bet it'll be about a working woman who sees the errors of her ways and becomes a keeper of the home. :lol:

It ended up as #4 at the box office on Friday. I think (well, at least hope) that this will be its biggest weekend b/c of church pre-sales. I sort of feel like the people who will see it will see it this weekend, but those are the only people who are going to go. I doubt it will get word of mouth business outside the more conservative Christian circles. I don't think this willl be another "Passion of the Christ", although for such a niche movie, its doing pretty well. Their advertising budget had to be enormous, however, so I hope no one makes a penny from this disaster.

I wonder what their next movie will be about. You're totally right about the manly man themes. I bet their next movie will be about soldiers or something. If it's about a woman, I bet it'll be about a working woman who sees the errors of her ways and becomes a keeper of the home. :lol:

I could see them making a movie about a pregnant woman who contemplates abortion but then finds Jesus and decides not to, and they all live happily ever after. There could be a newly-married woman with a life-threatening pregnancy, maybe even an ectopic pregnancy. Her husband is either cheating, doing some white-collar crimes, or is an alcoholic. Her evil secular doctors tell her that she has a 99% chance of dying if she continues this pregnancy. Her mother and friends tell her that she is no position to have a baby with such a rocky marriage. But then, she meets Hero Pastor at a party, or maybe he's even a street preacher that she actually takes seriously. She wants to know more about Jesus, who of course she has never heard about before in spite of growing up in the United States. Maybe it's even around Christmas time so she can learn the true meaning of Christmas. She finally decides to risk her life and not have an abortion. Whatever health issue she had goes south, and goes to the hospital with firm orders to let her die before having an abortion. She prays rilly rilly hard and trusts Jesus to save her. Her husband finally gets word that she's in critical condition (it was hard to find him because of his illicit activities) and rushes to the hospital. Of course the woman and baby miraculously survive, and the husband repents and becomes a wonderful father because he is so moved by his perfect son.

I could see them making a movie about a pregnant woman who contemplates abortion but then finds Jesus and decides not to, and they all live happily ever after. There could be a newly-married woman with a life-threatening pregnancy, maybe even an ectopic pregnancy. Her husband is either cheating, doing some white-collar crimes, or is an alcoholic. Her evil secular doctors tell her that she has a 99% chance of dying if she continues this pregnancy. Her mother and friends tell her that she is no position to have a baby with such a rocky marriage. But then, she meets Hero Pastor at a party, or maybe he's even a street preacher that she actually takes seriously. She wants to know more about Jesus, who of course she has never heard about before in spite of growing up in the United States. Maybe it's even around Christmas time so she can learn the true meaning of Christmas. She finally decides to risk her life and not have an abortion. Whatever health issue she had goes south, and goes to the hospital with firm orders to let her die before having an abortion. She prays rilly rilly hard and trusts Jesus to save her. Her husband finally gets word that she's in critical condition (it was hard to find him because of his illicit activities) and rushes to the hospital. Of course the woman and baby miraculously survive, and the husband repents and becomes a wonderful father because he is so moved by his perfect son.

That totally sounds like a plausible plot for their next movie. And of course, there would be a tie-in novel, devotional book, and study guide available as well, just as there was with Fireproof and Courageous. :lol:

Archived