IGNORED

Courageous is running number 1 at the box office

dawn9476

Don't these Hyper-Christian movies seem to base some of their ethnic/gender characters on stereotypes and traditional traits as well? I mean this never seems to evolve, they are stuck in the old classics of caricaturization, traditional values and old pictures of perfect lifestyles of the 50s, Colonial and Frontier eras.

Perhaps they would make female characters in the next films as either submissive, passive and beautiful or proud, rebellious and cruel like in the old Brother's Grimm fairy tales; the Grimms made their good female characters as virtuous, silent, beautiful and kind, and the bad female characters as bitchy, witch-like, aggressive and full of vice. And in other traditional feminine traits, there are the silly, frivolous, dimwitted women concerned mostly with clothing, makeup and men.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They encourage businesses have their employees see the movie and attend their seminars? I wonder how many hostile work environment religious discrimination lawsuits THAT lead to.

ETA: Here's the page for the Courageous Action Squad. No wonder it sold so well--they were encouraging individuals to buy 25 tickets to hand out to people, business and ministries to buy 50-100 tickets to people, and churches to buy out an entire show time (200-250 tickets) for their congregations.

http://www.courageousthemovie.com/takeaction

I feel bad for the movie theaters if people really are buying all these extra tickets to hand out and the recipients end up not going. Movie theaters make most of their money from concessions, not ticket sales, and if the popularity is inflated but people never show up to buy $8 popcorn, the theaters will waste the bigger auditoriums on this movie.

I feel bad for the movie theaters if people really are buying all these extra tickets to hand out and the recipients end up not going. Movie theaters make most of their money from concessions, not ticket sales, and if the popularity is inflated but people never show up to buy $8 popcorn, the theaters will waste the bigger auditoriums on this movie.

I feel bad for the movie theaters too and some of the tickets bought by individuals, ministries, businesses, churches probably weren't used.Some people just don't like going to movie theaters in general and they would probably turn down tickets from a church . I'm looking through the IMDB board for Courageous and there people are defending it and somebody commented in one thread how 50/50 barely beat Courageous and this person mentioned that Courageous was playing on a lot less screens that 50/50. I doubt this person knows that about the Courageous Action Squad and the fact that some churches, people, and ministries were buying 50 or more tickets. 50/50 might not do extremely well at the box office but I think it will do better than Courageous in the long run. The fall is usually a slow time for movies. People aren't going to out movies for different reasons like baseball playoffs, football Sundays etc.

If any of you check out the Courageous, Fireproof or FTG boards beware of kotmundi. He jumps anytime someone says they didn't like the SBC movies. He worked on the movies and attends SBC. This guy can't take anyone not liking the SBC movies or the Kendrick brothers.

In regards to advertising for Courageous before its release, a few weeks ago I needed to visit the home page for the local Roman Catholic diocese (needed a church address for genealogy stuff), and THEY had something on the page about the movie Courageous, encouraging people to see this "well made movie."

Wait a sec, here, the text is still up:

"Courageous" and "The Calling": Two recommended and well done films

The following information pertains to two films "Courageous" and "The Calling" that will soon be available for movie fans to see.

"Courageous" - (In theaters September 30) Four men, one calling: To serve and protect. As law enforcement officers, Adam Mitchell, Nathan Hayes, David Thomson, and Shane Fuller are confident and focused. Yet at the end of the day, they face a challenge that none of them are truly prepared to tackle: fatherhood.

While they consistently give their best on the job, good enough seems to be all they can muster as dads. But they're quickly discovering that their standard is missing the mark.

When tragedy hits home, these men are left wrestling with their hopes, their fears, their faith, and their fathering. Can a newfound urgency help these dads draw closer to God ... and to their children?

Filled with action-packed police drama, Courageous is the fourth film from Sherwood Pictures, the moviemaking ministry of Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia. Riveted moviegoers will once again find themselves laughing, crying, and cheering as they are challenged and inspired by everyday heroes who long to be the kinds of dads that make a lifelong impact on their children.

Protecting the streets is second nature to these men. Raising their children in a God-honoring way? That's courageous.

I'm sure that's the press release they were provided. The other movie is some documentary that's being screened at an area church. I couldn't believe what I was seeing - even the Catholic church was promoting this movie? :doh:

In regards to advertising for Courageous before its release, a few weeks ago I needed to visit the home page for the local Roman Catholic diocese (needed a church address for genealogy stuff), and THEY had something on the page about the movie Courageous, encouraging people to see this "well made movie."

Wait a sec, here, the text is still up:

I'm sure that's the press release they were provided. The other movie is some documentary that's being screened at an area church. I couldn't believe what I was seeing - even the Catholic church was promoting this movie? :doh:

The Sherwood Pictures movies have gotten some support from some Catholics in the past. I think Catholic Digest encouraged couples to see Fireproof.

Gosh, even the plot synopsis sounds stupid! For some reason Fireproof made more sense to me to produce. This is just...awful. And implying that "protecting the streets" is somehow less courageous than fatherhood? I'm not a police officer, but it seems to me like in some situations you'd need a lot of courage to do your job.

Ugh Kelly @ GC has written about the Courageous movie:

I’ve heard such wonderful reviews and I have no doubts that this movie is moving men to be men…one of the most urgent needs of our day.
:puke-front:

My niece was saying on Facebook how inspirational the movie was. She is getting a full education today from me. So if people could give me idea's about this why " ministry" is so bad I'd appreciate it. Normally I'd do it myself, but I have other issues to deal with.

I notice that Vision Forum is selling "The Resolution Covenant" - a framed copy of the resolution that the protagonists of the film use. The interesting thing is that the "The Resolution" heading at the top is marked 'tm', presumably just to make sure that nobody tries to get away with committing to the Courageous resolution without paying for it. Takes away some of the impact, if you ask me!

My problem with movies like Fireproof and Courageous is that they glorify men doing what they should be doing in the first place: being stand up fathers and husbands and human beings. Why the hell are evangelical men such special snowflakes that they get their very own movies lauding them for simply meeting their responsibilities? If they really are that weak no wonder they don't want women outside the home, kicking ass and taking names.

Evangelical women (and women in general) don't get movies made about them for being good wives, mothers, tutors/teachers, church volunteers, school volunteers, referees, Ms. Fix-its, nurses, chauffers, cooks, gardeners, home decorators, book keepers, and submissives. But you can believe they'd hear all about it if the expectations were not met.

Archived