IGNORED

Seewalds 26: Marketing her cute growing (?) family

samurai_sarah

36 minutes ago, nst said:

and we know Ben is teaching Spurge how to read the alphabet.  

Spurge is what almost 2 - is he brilliant because this to me is shocking?

My daughter could identify all her letters (out of order) and numbers 1-10 before she turned two. Of course as her mom I would love to say yes she's a genius! Lol but I wouldn't say it's unheard of for a child to know their ABCs at that age. Just depends on the kid. My daughter was showing an interest in letters and numbers so we bought books and toys to encourage her. Some kids genuinely couldn't care less. Doesn't mean they're not as smart, just maybe not as interested in that type of thing right now which is ok too.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, calimojo said:

You know, in truth probably many of us have times when our homes are a wreck.  I think the issue here is, however,  why is there a need to post this kind  of thing on SM?  My house has had many days when it was in sad shape.  I am not, by nature a great housekeeper.  I can cook, but I hate to clean and my laundry is always in a state of chaos.  I am exceedingly organized in other ways, but house stuff bores me to tears. I don't much care about decorating, and my needs in my home are that it be safe and warm in the winter, cool in the summer and dry in the rain.  It just isn't my domain.

(snip)

I appreciate what you're saying, but I come from the opposite side. I.e.: I'm always glad to see that it's not only Mr samurai_sarah and me who fall behind in the housekeeping department, every now and then. Thankfully for us, I'm clean but messy, while he loves order, but isn't fussed about cleanliness.

But, I am with you in not being a natural housekeeper. Especially decorating is NOT something nature decided would be a useful talent for me.

Jessa mentioned in her long IG post something about popping on Baby Einsteins. I don't have kids, but I assume this is a, educational television program? This is fairly mainstream, yes? 

*Not saying this affects their beliefs. Just wondering if this could be any indication of a focus on education?

11 hours ago, calimojo said:

But, I also don't go onto SM and show off the dirty underbelly of my home.  Jessa could have gotten her point across without including all of those pictures.  Just a couple of them, including the cute one with toys strewn over the floor would have been enough.

I've seen this on SM from a lot of people. Heck, once I posted a picture of all the shoes laying around in piles at my house because by the looks of it, way more than 5 people lived there. It was humorous and so many people posted "that's exactly like my house too".   It was only unusual for me (what Jessa posted) only because she has a somewhat higher profile (due to being on TV) than everyone else I know, but it was otherwise no different than others.  I think she was being a normal young mom.  Maybe I hang out/know the wrong people...but I've seen lots of dirty dishes in the sink pics,  mounds of laundry pics, scribbling on the walls pics, overflowing diaper pails, etc all over SM.   In all of those circumstances (and I think Jessa, too)  it's a way to connect to people and show we aren't perfect. In a world where everyone is trying to PInterest out-do each other, its refreshing to see that despite varying religious beliefs, etc.  we are all just  trying to get through each day.  Maybe that's the issue....instead of looking for the differences all the time, we should be looking for what we have in common and go from there.   Its easier to come to understandings and affect changes, share why we believe what we believe....when we come from a common place.   Maybe that's a messy house. 

I have lots of things I disagree with the Duggars on....but I believe Jessa was being real on both posts. 

Funny observation -- everyone talks about how repressed the environment was for them growing up, having to keep sweet, follow Gothard rules....etc...and how they wish some of them would "break" away...but whenever one of them does show individuality (even in a small way)...they also get crucified for it or its discounted.   Jessa certainly is outspoken and snarky at times. She certainly speaks her mind.   And that's bad? I think its a good thing. If she keeps "sweet" she's called a Stepford Wife. Is she is herself, she's called a Bitch.  Women are so mean to each other. 

Honestly, I find most of the people on FJ very intelligent and fair.   Not so much other forums where people just want to rip on them no matter what. For what reason? To feel superior? 

Catching up here, sorry, so if I'm behind something newer, oops.

As far as the IG post, most of it is "meh." Dishes happen, laundry piles up, toys get everywhere with small children. Personally, dusting's low on my priority list, but that's because there are few places in public areas of the house that need it and no one's allergic here. 

I'm with the majority on the diapers and sheets, though. The sheets maybe not a big deal if it's a small spot and/or I'm doing laundry in the next day or so anyway, but I'd still wipe it up with a tissue or paper towel in the moment. If it were a big spot, though? Nope. Washing machine. As far as the diapers go, they happen, yeah, and sometimes they sit if you forgot to put a bag in the bin or if you changed a child or two then had to race off to prevent disaster. A whole stack, though?! It's not hard to get a cheap lidded trash can, stick in a plastic bag, and set it next to or on the dresser to at least contain the mess. Ick.

I'm not going to diagnose depression or morning sickness online. I had PPD and for the most part the necessary stuff got done, but there were days where getting out of bed and getting the baby fed and changed were all I could manage.

As for the Italian nose: my husband's half-Italian. I'm not. Guess who has a better sense of smell? :my_biggrin:

2 hours ago, nst said:

and we know Ben is teaching Spurge how to read the alphabet.  

Spurge is what almost 2 - is he brilliant because this to me is shocking?

Meh, my kid was doing that before 2. Maybe not brilliant, but at least they are encouraging learning? I have friends who don't encourage their kids to read/learn because it doesn't interest them and they feel it's a waste of time. My kid LOVES to read and will happily read over watching a movie any day. If he is interested and wants to learn then I am glad they are letting him! :) 

because the suspense was killing everyone (you do know I AM Kidding half the time) 

It took me 53 seconds to empty my dishwasher this morning 

Your welcome 

42 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Catching up here, sorry, so if I'm behind something newer, oops.

As far as the IG post, most of it is "meh." Dishes happen, laundry piles up, toys get everywhere with small children. Personally, dusting's low on my priority list, but that's because there are few places in public areas of the house that need it and no one's allergic here. 

I'm with the majority on the diapers and sheets, though. The sheets maybe not a big deal if it's a small spot and/or I'm doing laundry in the next day or so anyway, but I'd still wipe it up with a tissue or paper towel in the moment. If it were a big spot, though? Nope. Washing machine. As far as the diapers go, they happen, yeah, and sometimes they sit if you forgot to put a bag in the bin or if you changed a child or two then had to race off to prevent disaster. A whole stack, though?! It's not hard to get a cheap lidded trash can, stick in a plastic bag, and set it next to or on the dresser to at least contain the mess. Ick.

I'm not going to diagnose depression or morning sickness online. I had PPD and for the most part the necessary stuff got done, but there were days where getting out of bed and getting the baby fed and changed were all I could manage.

As for the Italian nose: my husband's half-Italian. I'm not. Guess who has a better sense of smell? :my_biggrin:

Jessa stated in a follow up post that their Diaper Genie broke and a replacement was already on the way. So I don’t think a stack of diapers on the dresser is really an all the time thing for them. 

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Jessa mentioned in her long IG post something about popping on Baby Einsteins. I don't have kids, but I assume this is a, educational television program? This is fairly mainstream, yes? 

*Not saying this affects their beliefs. Just wondering if this could be any indication of a focus on education?

Baby Einstein is a company that makes products targeted for younger children. They usually have some sort of educational twist, but I don’t know if that’s actually true or not - I have no personal experience as my baby is only 10 months old, so I have no clue how good their products are.* I do know that they offer DVDs and CDs though, abd I believe they recently started uploading clips to a YouTube channel as well. 

*No judgement towards any parents who use/uses them with their babies by the way! We occasionally turn on an episode of Daniel Tiger for her when she hates the world and everyone in it - the opening song makes her happy and gives me a short break to regroup. I also use Pandora a lot - she likes when I sing along, she “dances” in her high chair, and it exposes her to lots of different musical genres.

18 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

@Four is Enough @Carm_88 I'm always cheered to see your two avatars together!

TTTT, it kind of tickles me, too.

17 hours ago, CrazyMumma said:

I'm so happy for all of your perfect women who always had it together.. had babies that slept through the night as babies... My firstborn didn't sleep through until just before she turned 3.  Second born is 24 months... still not sleeping through.   

I've been a TIRED mother ever since One was born... and I just tell people I have very low standards, which I do. IMHO, it's not necessary to have a spic and span house. It's NICE< but it's not necessary..

So my kids grew up with dirt, clutter, shoes, animals, mud, and all the dirty dishes you can find... and they're healthy, and they know how to clean, because I taught them, but we are a family of slobs and we are sloppy.

I've had kids pee the bed, and brought them a towel, laid it over, and sent them to sleep on it.. because we were out of clean sheets. I've laid a         towel over a bit of puke and slept on it myself. Exhaustion will do that to you.

So mother on, mothers~ wherever you are, and however you do it!

Wolf girl could read words before 2. Wolf boy? Well, he did learn to read eventually. He was too busy destroying the house to settle down and learn to read that young. Just glad to see they're taking time with Spurgie.

Little Einsteins is just an education show like teaching you your colors/letters/numbers, all that stuff (I used to have to watch it with my baby cousin back in the day). Also is a diaper genie just like a trash can for diapers? What makes it different?

4 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Little Einsteins is just an education show like teaching you your colors/letters/numbers, all that stuff (I used to have to watch it with my baby cousin back in the day). Also is a diaper genie just like a trash can for diapers? What makes it different?

Diaper genies are amazing. Way back when I worked at a daycare we used one and it was so nice! It's like a long tube of plastic inside the pail, and you shove the diaper in and twist a thing, and it goes down in the bottom where at the end of the day (or a couple days, for home use) you have a long sausage of individually twisted up diapers. They stay sealed up so the smell stays in.

I also LOVED the Litter Locker, made by the same company, for cat litter when I had a kitty. If I get another, that'll be the first purchase I make. It's easy, quick, and keeps the scooped litter bagged up and the smell sealed away. When it starts to get full you just twist, cut and tie the bag, tie a knot in the bottom of the tube, and keep going.

I can't snark much on her house, it's just ME living in my house and between traveling and having a terrible cold, combined with the weather changes, my house is AWFUL. I just seem to work and sleep, these days. I'm going to push for some B12 injections when I go to the doctor soon. I know those help me and I need it right now.

Spurgeon does seem like a smart little guy. And whenever I think that, my heart just sinks, because supposing he does have a fair bit of natural intelligence, it's going to be either completely squandered or used for ill unless he leaves fundamentalism.

22 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Also is a diaper genie just like a trash can for diapers? What makes it different?

Diaper Genies are one of those items that get a lot of hate, you'll always see them on those "Things You Don't Really Need For a Baby" lists, but I love mine! (I actually have the Munchkin Step, but they're pretty much the same thing.) I'm very neat and organized, and I like having one place to throw diapers away. It keeps the smell away and looks nice and sleek in my daughter's room. I just pull out the bag and throw it in our outside garbage every couple of days. I'm a neat freak and big on organization, so the thought of just tossing diapers in the kitchen or bathroom trash makes my head (or nose) want to explode.

My BIL and his wife visited with their baby a few months ago. I put our second Munchkin Pail (yes, I have 2 because I'm just that crazy. One used to be in our bedroom when she was in the newborn 10 diaper changes a day stage) in the room they were staying with the baby. They never used it. There were diapers left on the floor, on the bathroom counter, on top of the kitchen trash.....by the second day I was like Charlton Heston at the End of Planet of the Apes levels of pissed.

Jessa's diaper pile picture really triggered some unpleasant memories for me. :pb_lol:

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Spurgeon does seem like a smart little guy. And whenever I think that, my heart just sinks, because supposing he does have a fair bit of natural intelligence, it's going to be either completely squandered or used for ill unless he leaves fundamentalism.

That's the hard part. If they continue in fundie land, we will either see the light go out of Spurgeon, or he may become utterly obnoxious. 

ETA: Utterly not otherly, way to go Monday brain! 

5 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Diaper Genies are one of those items that get a lot of hate, you'll always see them on those "Things You Don't Really Need For a Baby" lists, but I love mine!

When I have children, I am absolutely getting a diaper genie! I don't think it's a waste at all. I am sure Jessa probably got one at some point from a leg jumper, so why on earth doesn't she use it?

13 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I also LOVED the Litter Locker, made by the same company, for cat litter when I had a kitty. If I get another, that'll be the first purchase I make. It's easy, quick, and keeps the scooped litter bagged up and the smell sealed away. When it starts to get full you just twist, cut and tie the bag, tie a knot in the bottom of the tube, and keep going.

Yes! I have one for my two fur babies and I love it! It also makes it easier to change the boxes out each week because I can scoop the boxes into the genie ahead of time and then change out the genie when I need to.

12 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

When I have children, I am absolutely getting a diaper genie! I don't think it's a waste at all. I am sure Jessa probably got one at some point from a leg jumper, so why on earth doesn't she use it?

She said it was broken. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Jessa stated in a follow up post that their Diaper Genie broke and a replacement was already on the way. So I don’t think a stack of diapers on the dresser is really an all the time thing for them. 

Yeah, I saw that as I read on. More understandable, but I still think it's gross; how hard is it to grab a plastic bag of some type and plunk it on the dresser? If we're traveling without a diaper pail, I just grab a couple of plastic grocery bags and keep them in the diaper bag or by the change mat.

29 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I am sure Jessa probably got one at some point from a leg jumper, so why on earth doesn't she use it?

she said it broke.  btw...I had a diaper genie and it broke, too. In fact I hated it.  Used a regular trash can thereafter

On 10/20/2017 at 2:12 PM, KelseyAnn said:

I would rather chop off my arm than vacuum. SO you can bet when I get a home of own its all gonna be hardwood. 

Roomba!!

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wolf girl could read words before 2. Wolf boy? Well, he did learn to read eventually. He was too busy destroying the house to settle down and learn to read that young. Just glad to see they're taking time with Spurgie.

This sounds abotu right for my family too!! my daughter was an early reader, but my son, who just turned 5, is FINALLY showing a little bit of interest.

I don't care at all if appliances are dirty.  I don't like dishes in the sink or dusty furniture but that's middle ground.  I can't handle the diapers piled up and the dirty bedsheets, though.  

Even if a child learning his alphabet at 2 isn't unheard of or even super unusual, I think it speaks volumes for Jessa and Ben as parents. They clearly have given Spurgeon lots of attention, and spent plenty of time engaging with him intellectually and preparing him for (home?)school one day in the future. A child with absentee/not-great parents certainly wouldn't be at that stage at 2. Hell, I've taught kindergarten classes full of 5-year-olds whose parents had never bothered to teach them the alphabet, how to hold a pencil, or even how to spell their own names. Super freaking sad. So yeah, anyway, I'm glad Spurgeon seems to have very loving and involved parents.

On 10/20/2017 at 6:58 PM, nausicaa said:

Me too. I'll wash and fold laundry all damn day. Just hate dishes. 

Even worse: grocery shopping. I really despise grocery shopping and if I get any sort of significant raise in the next two years, will be using a delivery service even though I'm single and not really in that economic bracket. Not really a fan of any part of the whole food preparation and cleaning up process, honestly. 

I always do "shop from home". They pick it and bag it, all I have to do is swing by on my way home from work and pick it up. It's absolutely the best $4.95 I spend (every other week). Worth every penny. 

I have a 6 week old who spits up at least 8 times a day (pretty sure she has reflux, but she's gaining weight like a champ so they don't recommend meds). I try to contain it with strategically placed blankets but she's a ninja. I've walked around in spit up all day, I've slept in spit up. I do laundry every day. As gross as it sounds, I am completely desensitized :P 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived