IGNORED

Seewalds 26: Marketing her cute growing (?) family

samurai_sarah

14 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Jessa is smart when it comes to social media, she normally posts about Henry and Spurgeon, giving them the illusion of perfect. Now she has shattered the illusion by posting that she's messy and sometimes she leaves it be for time with Ben and the kids. Which, I would think is fairly normal and easy to relate to, for a lot of young Mom's. Ben is quiet on social media and Jessa is the one controlling their family narrative and she's savvy. I can disagree with a lot of what Jessa does, but I can't knock the fact that she has learned how to market herself so well. 

In a different world she could be having a high-flying career in PR, for example. I think her potential points towards talent in strategic management. But in this world, as a cult member with no education and shackled by patriarchy, she will not get far.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Jessa realizes that TLC won't keep their show going on forever. She has to have some way to pull in new leg humpers. All of us that are parents know it's not rainbows and unicorns every day.

I'm enjoying this take no prisoners Jess, I must say.

In another part of the www, people began to think of me as someone who always has it all together, and it bothered me; I didn't want to have to try to live up to a higher standard, and also didn't want other people to think they had to, which seemed to be the case when they'd do this sort of apology for how things were for them. So I've worked harder to show that my reality is a real mixed bag; some parts I do real well at, others, either I do struggle at it, or I just don't bother.

What bothered me about those pictures, besides Spurgeon running his hands over that thickly dusted table, is what we didn't see. Little things that are easy to overlook and can become a danger, like the stove hood, dryer hose, etc. If there's that much dust on the table, and what is dust but bits of us, flaked off over time? a lot of other things were probably out of control even more.

But still, I think it was a cool cheeky thing for her to do, and I'm pleased with her for it. My guess is it was also her personal reckoning; "wow, I've let things slide too far, gonna take some before shots and get things back together."

Also: pro tip from older mother of many for people with babies. Go to Goodwill on half price day, and buy whichever sheets you can stand to look at. Even though they'll mostly be flat ones; you can make a bed with those if you need to. You will have too much laundry, but you already do anyway, and you will always have sheets to put on between times. Later, they can be used for forts and tents and picnics, etc.

Further, I learned from another mom of many that every child can learn to do their own laundry at 8. Totally worth the teaching effort and pays off later.

1 minute ago, backyard sylph said:

Further, I learned from another mom of many that every child can learn to do their own laundry at 8. Totally worth the teaching effort and pays off later.

Mom of one, here - that one started doing her own laundry at 10, after she bitched about the way her clothes were folded. Took a HUGE load (no pun intended) off DH, who was SAHD-ing at the time. :)

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Mom of one, here - that one started doing her own laundry at 10, after she bitched about the way her clothes were folded. Took a HUGE load (no pun intended) off DH, who was SAHD-ing at the time. :)

Good for her! I was not so enterprising, but tried to encourage my kids to be.

My three young adult sons are still at home, while the girls are all off in far-flung places. The other day, I wanted to put groceries away and realized the refrigerator had gotten out of control; I'd fallen off monthly cleaning track. So I took a picture of the awful inside spills and texted it to the young men, with a stern message. Then I made it look even grosser and posted it on Instagram.

They're great at laundry, but still so-so on some other things, sigh.

16 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I would rather chop off my arm than vacuum. SO you can bet when I get a home of own its all gonna be hardwood. 

My house is all hardwood/tile and I vacuum all of it.

Well that post yesterday got me into deep clean mode so that was my day. I don't use our microwave often, but that is the absolute worst thing to clean in my book and it would be so much easier if he took the extra second to wipe it out immediately if it explodes. I love laundry, by far my favorite chore and I do the pile method, like Jessa. Tons of loads and what doesn't need a hangar immediately I wait to fold. It's a nice break, I can watch trashy tv or chat with my mom, actually sit and fold then put everything in it's proper pile/ color order (yes, I'm crazy like that). Though I hated it when I lived in NYC and was very paranoid about taking a separate bag for my intimates so random dudes couldn't see them as I was lugging it all down the blocks. Happened once and only once, and he was a total creep, who after being ignored on the street decided he too was going to do laundry at the same washateria with the machines next to mine.

I'd love to see more of other analytics data (click throughs, interactions, views, etc) for posts and am curious if they look at any of it to guide their media strategy. Jessa has created an image with a narrative, you know she's going to post her adorable kids, there might be an aberration here or there, but it's a relatable feel good account. There's no real tension when you click on her posts in comparison to Derick, who you really never know what it'll be. Family? Random vague verse? Cross Church? Politics?

I'd say the Vuolos are also carefully controlled in what they post, smaller glimpses into their life, focused posts on causes they believe in, but not the overly inflammatory ones. Joy and Austin, well they're still figuring it out, but I'm sure Jessa will happily give advice if asked.

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

I don't use our microwave often, but that is the absolute worst thing to clean in my book and it would be so much easier if he took the extra second to wipe it out immediately if it explodes. 

Put a Pyrex in with a cup or two of water, play around with the time 2-10 mins, it depends on your wattage (mine is about 6 IIRC.) The steam bath and condensation work a miracle, a quick wipe with a paper towel, no matter how caked/blackened/unidentifiable it was.   Some people add vinegar or a bit of lemon, I don't.  

And...be careful, it's hot.

Dust, floors that need to be vacuumed, dishes and laundry, I get, but barfy sheets and dirty diapers piled up on a dresser, nope. How many people have kids in diapers and do not have some sort of pail, can, box to contain that literal shite???? I really call BS on that, and if not, I call really PPP.

17 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

True confession: I set the timer and try to beat the clock when cleaning.

I've done that too when facing an extra large mound of laundry (more than one load that needs to be folded).. I've even had my sister (who lives in another state and we text back and forth all the time) time me...She's says go and then times me for 10 minutes...I fold as fast as I can to see how far I can get...like beat the clock.   Takes my mind off the chore!! haha....weird but whatever it takes. 

I have been tired enough that I would have slept on the puke sheets. That is all. 

Annnnd I just watched three episodes of Hoarders and now I'm all itchy, but my house looks positively pristine in comparison. lol

8 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

....that one started doing her own laundry at 10, after she bitched about the way her clothes were folded. 

Mine started doing her own laundry the day I noticed dirty clothes were on top of the clean ones in her laundry basket. Nope. Done. This is how you turn on the washer.....

I am wondering if Jessa’s Instagram post is the equivalent of Michelle’s laundry room breakdown? Even though she never said she’s overwhelmed, posting photos of piles of stinky, dirty diapers, puke encrusted sheets, and nasty stovetop is not the normal everyday “I want to spend more time with my kids and not cleaning my house.” I expect to see toys and laundry in people’s homes. I can handle dusty tables and vents. Perhaps Princess Jessa is having trouble  handling two active children, a house, wifely duties to the hubby, her daily beauty routine, and her social media presence? A huge quiver isn’t for everyone. But Jessa is expected to continue to be a brood mare. 

(And yes, there is a huge difference between having that many diapers in a trash can or diaper pail and having that many diapers out on a changing table/dresser- at least when they’re in the pail or can, the stench is contained & you can take it outside to remove the bag and put it in the big can. A few diapers on the changing table is one thing.... that many diapers different story. ) 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Annnnd I just watched three episodes of Hoarders and now I'm all itchy, but my house looks positively pristine in comparison. lol

I can't watch Hoarders, I start throwing everything away. Then when I want something, I realize I've thrown it away. 

I am wondering if Jessa’s Instagram post is the equivalent of Michelle’s laundry room breakdown? Even though she never said she’s overwhelmed, posting photos of piles of stinky, dirty diapers, puke encrusted sheets, and nasty stovetop is not the normal everyday “I want to spend more time with my kids and not cleaning my house.” I expect to see toys and laundry in people’s homes. I can handle dusty tables and vents. Perhaps Princess Jessa is having trouble  handling two active children, a house, wifely duties to the hubby, her daily beauty routine, and her social media presence? A huge quiver isn’t for everyone. But Jessa is expected to continue to be a brood mare. 
(And yes, there is a huge difference between having that many diapers in a trash can or diaper pail and having that many diapers out on a changing table/dresser- at least when they’re in the pail or can, the stench is contained & you can take it outside to remove the bag and put it in the big can. A few diapers on the changing table is one thing.... that many diapers different story. ) 

I’m not defending her, but I did see a follow up post from jessa saying the diaper pail broke or something and another is on the way, Henry is not sleeping through the night still and she was exhausted and put a towel over the spit up to sleep on it. She said she posted the pictures to show real life and to show solidarity with others who may be struggling. That’s a very condensed version of the post.

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Dust, floors that need to be vacuumed, dishes and laundry, I get, but barfy sheets and dirty diapers piled up on a dresser, nope. How many people have kids in diapers and do not have some sort of pail, can, box to contain that literal shite???? I really call BS on that, and if not, I call really PPP.

what is PPP? post partum .....

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Psychosis 

could she have that when he is 7 months old or because she is queasy? 

and you all have to wait for my dishwasher results until Monday :D 

it will be on my review of the wedding - just for fun 

When she wrote that Henry is still not sleeping through the night it made me wonder whether that would have any impact on when #3 will arrive. Sadly it seems that these fundies just pop them out regardless of the prior baby's personality, pretty much on schedule. 

1 minute ago, AtlanticTug said:

When she wrote that Henry is still not sleeping through the night it made me wonder whether that would have any impact on when #3 will arrive. Sadly it seems that these fundies just pop them out regardless of the prior baby's personality, pretty much on schedule. 

Didn't she say Spurgeon didn't sleep through the night for 16 months?

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

Didn't she say Spurgeon didn't sleep through the night for 16 months?

she did.

can't she try herbs on the baby who doesn't sleep through the night ?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived