IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 6: Sitting in a tree...M.A.R.R.I.E.D!

samurai_sarah

15 minutes ago, divadivine said:

The trees in the photo still have green leaves. The photo was probably taken back in August, before they were married. 

Their clothing screams "EASTER COLORS" to me.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, divadivine said:

The trees in the photo still have green leaves. The photo was probably taken back in August, before they were married. 

Ah see, I wouldn't have noticed that. We don't have seasons where I live. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, KelseyAnn said:

Um....pretty sure HBC helps with my horrific cystic acne and helps with making my uterus feel as if its no longer trying to murder me. I would count that as a benefit, but what do I know?

Sorry, I have to defend the OP here. She said that it's inaccurate to claim that HBC has health benefits in general, which is true. Not all women will experience health benefits from taking HBC, and some will experience detrimental side effects. That doesn't negate the fact that it can have very positive health benefits for many women.

@KelseyAnn Yeah, but not every woman has cystic acne or very painful periods. And some of them that have still will experience also negative side effects from the pill :) I would describe my periods as rather painful, but still tolerable, and when I was on the pill (not for that reason though), I had spottings and terrible mood swings all the time, so not really a good trade... 

@singsingsing Thank you :) 

I have never seen a claim that HBC has general health benefits for all women.

All drugs will only benefit some who take them. All drugs also have side effects that some will experience.

Nothing special in this regard with regard to HBC. Each woman should make her choice about this with her trusted health care professional.

Oddly enough, HBC can also affect the same women differently at different times in their lives!

I got on the pill when I was 17, and it was a godsend. My 10-day, unbelievably heavy and painful periods were suddenly in the "normal" range of moderately heavy and 7 days in length. (May still seem like a lot to some people, but trust me, it changed my life! :pb_lol:) I didn't have to miss school or work anymore, and I didn't have to constantly worry about bleeding through my clothes.

Fast forward 6 years, and the pill started giving me horrible in-between periods cramping and spotting, and was no longer helping manage my other symptoms as it previously had. I always thought I would be on the pill forever (minus the baby-making years), but I took the plunge and went back to being natural. Lo and behold, my periods were much more manageable than they'd been when I was a teenager, AND I didn't have anymore random cramping or spotting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I had the pill when I was younger, but I'm doing great without it now. :)

HBC is awful for me, gives me such bad mood swings and I got pregnant on it anyway so I'll probably go a different route now anyway but I do know there are lots of potential benefits. 

Also i just started whatching season 6 (im behind right now) Fors Kendra's laugh drive anyone else up a wall? Sweet girl but damn. 

5 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

Um....pretty sure HBC helps with my horrific cystic acne and helps with making my uterus feel as if its no longer trying to murder me. I would count that as a benefit, but what do I know?

I mean...I feel like the health benefit in general is avoiding pregnancy, which is a serious medical condition. :pb_lol: I understand that HBC might not be for everyone, but the poster I originally quoted was very negative towards a medication that is extremely necessary for me. 

47 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

I mean...I feel like the health benefit in general is avoiding pregnancy, which is a serious medical condition. :pb_lol: I understand that HBC might not be for everyone, but the poster I originally quoted was very negative towards a medication that is extremely necessary for me. 

HBC isn't necessary to avoid pregnancy, though.

Women are different people? People have different bodies? This is news to me! I thought what worked for one, will work for every one... 

But actually, I think this debate stems from a semantic issue about 'normal' or 'average.' And it's no wonder there are so many battles about whether insurance (US) should cover it.

I do think that one of the most important aspects of hbc has been the social impact. We're obviously still working on it, but the idea that as women we have the right to our sexual freedom and the right to choose if and when we procreate exists because hbc allowed women the ability to be in control. We don't have to use hormones, but we can if we want. 

Although... I guess it's actually a privilege that I take for granted as a right. Excuse me while I go donate to women's health groups as Happy Birthday Jesus gifts in staunch antifeminists names (the Duggars, my inlaws, Mike Pence)

This is the thing - the fact that HBC is not the only reliable method of birth control, the fact that it doesn't have health benefits for all women, and the fact that it has detrimental side effects for many women, are in no way talking points against it! That logic is just so incredibly faulty. HBC isn't a good choice for me. You know what else isn't? Amoxicillin, because I'm allergic. Does that mean amoxicillin doesn't benefit other people, or shouldn't be covered? Of course not! For God's sake, most people don't need insulin, and will experience negative affects if they take it - that doesn't negate the fact that it's incredibly beneficial and necessary for other people. But if it's women's sexuality, suddenly science goes out the window and we're back in the Middle Ages with traveling wombs and imbalanced humours. 

Let's drift to old school douches. Sign me up for that chlorox special. Definitely won't get pregnant when your nethers are chemical burned beyond recognition. 

I spilled a hot drink on my crotch last night, and am just so thankful the burns aren't severe. Just a little sore, but opting out of sexy times for a bit til I'm healed. Can't imagine bleach burns on the inside.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

This is the thing - the fact that HBC is not the only reliable method of birth control, the fact that it doesn't have health benefits for all women, and the fact that it has detrimental side effects for many women, are in no way talking points against it! That logic is just so incredibly faulty. HBC isn't a good choice for me. You know what else isn't? Amoxicillin, because I'm allergic. Does that mean amoxicillin doesn't benefit other people, or shouldn't be covered? Of course not! For God's sake, most people don't need insulin, and will experience negative affects if they take it - that doesn't negate the fact that it's incredibly beneficial and necessary for other people. But if it's women's sexuality, suddenly science goes out the window and we're back in the Middle Ages with traveling wombs and imbalanced humours. 

Completely agree! I think we all do, honestly, but ended up talking at cross purposes...I know I can get defensive regarding this subject. Mostly because I’ve had to defend it so many times before. 

13 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

I think we've now established that this was a misunderstanding :) My main criticism was geared towards the Planned Parenthood test that claims that HBC is a contraceptive that offers (additional) health benefits (of course it should be good at preventing conception :D ) for (almost) everyone who takes it. And my point was that unless you have a medical condition that can be treated with the pill also, this is not true. If someone has a condition that can be treated with HBC and needs a reliable birth control method, then of course it is awesome when the pill can take care of both things at once :) 

I am of course also biased because I know many women, just like me, that came to FAM/NFP and other non-hormonal contraceptives because they had (sometimes severe) side effects from HBC. Someone who's happy probably won't quit the pill and therefore not join that community and tell their story ;) 

And doctors can be very uninformed, too. When I went on HBC, my gyn just handed me a sample and told me when to take it, even though she should have asked if I was smoking (then I wouldn't have got it), if there's a history of thombosis and heart issues in my family and a few other questions. When I came back to her a few months later for a check-up, she asked if I had sex, and when I said no, she didn't examine me because she said I won't be pregnant then (so she trusted me and thought I told the truth) and when I complained about side effects, she told me to either quit the pill or take a different pill with a higher dose of hormones that would be even worse. I then stopped taking it and looked for another doctor. :D 

I would have looked for a different doctor also. I went to my on/gyn recently for an unusual cycle. Even though I’m on the pill she did a pregnancy test. She said she is almost 100% sure that I wasn’t pregnant but would be a bad on/gyn if she didn’t. She also went ahead and took care of my annual exam since I was already in the office. Said there was no reason to make another trip. 

It is incredibly unfortunate how even doctors can be misinformed about the side effects of birth control. I have suspected endometriosis (haven't had a lap to confirm) and not being on birth control means having to deal with pelvic pain 2-3 weeks of every month and spotting between my periods. However, being on birth control means I have absolutely no libido, sex is painful, and my depression/anxiety becomes unmanageable. I mentioned each one of these symptoms to my past GYN and he refused to blame it on the birth control. He went as far as telling me that painful sex is normal and that birth control would actually level out my depression instead of making it worse. I was young and naive and spent too many years thinking something was just wrong with me before I wised up and took myself off the pill. Now I've discovered I also have clotting disorders so hormonal birth control is completely off the table for me. 

I believe that women have the right to choose whatever method they want to manage births or not manage births. That includes not having sex till marriage. They are ALL valid choices. 

...I thought a UA was standard at every OB appointment.  They can be used for a multitude of reasons besides detecting pregnancy (UTI, diabetes, kidney function, etc.)  At my OB's office, you give a urine sample right after you check-in.

16 minutes ago, Aggie2145 said:

...I thought a UA was standard at every OB appointment.  They can be used for a multitude of reasons besides detecting pregnancy (UTI, diabetes, kidney function, etc.)  At my OB's office, you give a urine sample right after you check-in.

Is a pregnancy test always part of a urine analysis, though? (I'm honestly asking - I have absolutely no idea.)

36 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Is a pregnancy test always part of a urine analysis, though? (I'm honestly asking - I have absolutely no idea.)

No, the doctor would have to specifically order a pregnancy test.

My doctor usually orders a urine analysis as part of annual labs at my checkup. But I've only ever had a pregnancy test once, when I had some unexplained persistent nausea. They understood that, as a lesbian, the chances of me being pregnant were nonexistent (barring immaculate conception), but 1) people lie about their sex lives and 2) they had to run the pregnancy test before charging my insurance for more expensive diagnostics

I suppose it's possible this varies by state/practice/etc., though.

Every single time I've gone to the doctor for a UTI (unfortunately, many, many times), they always run a pregnancy test on my urine sample.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, divadivine said:

Premarital sex!!!1!1!!

They look like they're wearing summer clothes, so I wouldn't doubt it. But most of the leaves were still green around here in October, and I live way up in Canada.

4 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

It is incredibly unfortunate how even doctors can be misinformed about the side effects of birth control. I have suspected endometriosis (haven't had a lap to confirm) and not being on birth control means having to deal with pelvic pain 2-3 weeks of every month and spotting between my periods. However, being on birth control means I have absolutely no libido, sex is painful, and my depression/anxiety becomes unmanageable. I mentioned each one of these symptoms to my past GYN and he refused to blame it on the birth control. He went as far as telling me that painful sex is normal and that birth control would actually level out my depression instead of making it worse. I was young and naive and spent too many years thinking something was just wrong with me before I wised up and took myself off the pill. Now I've discovered I also have clotting disorders so hormonal birth control is completely off the table for me. 

Have you tried the mini-pill? I had many of those same problems with other bc pills but the mini-pill doesn't bother me. Pain gone, bleeding gone, no side effects. I also take a depression/anxiety pill though.

23 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Have you tried the mini-pill? I had many of those same problems with other bc pills but the mini-pill doesn't bother me. Pain gone, bleeding gone, no side effects. I also take a depression/anxiety pill though.

I'm really not sure anymore what the names of the pills I used to take are. I've been off it for 3 years now. I did take antidepressants for about 6 months shortly after I took myself off the pill but stopped when we started trying to get pregnant. My depression has been very low grade since then even after going through miscarriages and infertility so I'm leary of getting back on birth control and then also having to take antidepressants when I've been fine without them. I'm finally pregnant with a healthy baby so I haven't put much thought into birth control in the last couple years but its something we'll need to figure out soon...after everything we've been through I have no idea how quickly we will want to try again for a second. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived