IGNORED

Hurricanes Jose, Katia, and Maria

Cartmann99

Mainstream American news, especially on cable, is shockingly devoid of actual news. Some time ago, I looked at a video on YouTube of CNN’s real time coverage of the Challenger disaster starting at 11:00 AM ( the launch occurred around 11:30). The video shows the other news stories that were happening that day, and it’s really shocking to see how different CNN was back then and how it contained much more hard news. I’m trying to figure out when and how this change occurred and I guess it must have happened in late 90s/early 2000s as a response to conservatives who claimed that CNN was too favorable to the Clintons or some such nonsense.

In any case, I think the sad truth is that most Americans are not interested in hard news. They’re much more interested in celebrity shenanigans, whether it’s from our so called president or Roseanne. Another sad truth is that black and brown lives are considered expendable in this country. What is happening to PR is simply an extension of what happened during Katrina, when the victims were blamed for having the misfortune of suffering a natural disaster. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go over there fairly often @formergothardite (though I haven't been back since Maria) and the shit I hear on the plane makes my head explode. Most Americans honestly don't know that PR is American. (And are shockingly racist about it.)

I guess throwing rolls of paper towels into a crowd doesn't save lives....

1 minute ago, JMarie said:

I guess throwing rolls of paper towels into a crowd doesn't save lives....

God, I was so furious. I was shaking with rage, especially since I still had loved ones I hadn't heard from for a long time. They got one call out to let me know they were okay then nothing for weeks. What an asshole the Orange Menace is. 

14 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

In any case, I think the sad truth is that most Americans are not interested in hard news. They’re much more interested in celebrity shenanigans,

This is why I cannot stand Good Morning America and similar programs. May as well be the E channel. 

The PR actual death toll is horrifying. This country sucks more each day.

14 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

What is happening to PR is simply an extension of what happened during Katrina, when the victims were blamed for having the misfortune of suffering a natural disaster. 

Absolutely. I was so angry at the lame response, I don't like Kanye West but he was right that time. 

• 2 months later...

He's not a bit concerned about people who died or what should be done, just how it looks if Trump has a catastrophe on his watch

Archived