IGNORED

JinJer 27?: Wearing Black Pants in the Heat of Laredo

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I'm not gonna lie. I snorted at this.

Also Jinger got her siblings noisemakers? Aren't those kids noisemakers by themselves? I guess it's good revenge on her parents...

Get the littlest kids noisemakers that don't run on batteries, teach the Howlers how to make espresso, and then find a boyfriend for Jana. Jinger can have her vengeance at last.

Though my favorite "fuck you" gift I've heard of was a guy who bought his boss's child a Frozen-themed recorder flute that came with sheet music for Let It Go. Now your kid will constantly play an ear-splitting version of an earworm song on an instrument that doesn't sound pleasant unless you're very skilled at it, and you now have the choice of taking it away and looking like an asshole parent who's stifling your child's creativity, or shelling out money on music lessons.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Lurky said:

@BemusedByFundamentalism Those are perfect, thank you - and Sloggi is all over the UK!  Dank je wel!

Great! Graag gedaan, haha! :D

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Though my favorite "fuck you" gift I've heard of was a guy who bought his boss's child a Frozen-themed recorder flute that came with sheet music for Let It Go. Now your kid will constantly play an ear-splitting version of an earworm song on an instrument that doesn't sound pleasant unless you're very skilled at it, and you now have the choice of taking it away and looking like an asshole parent who's stifling your child's creativity, or shelling out money on music lessons.

My uncle got my brother a kids drum set when he was about 4 years old.

It was re-gifted back 2 years later when my cousin was born :pb_lol:

On 7/10/2017 at 1:54 AM, Jinder Roles said:

But to the people I see on the thread saying it's good to have protection because of xyz; is it a common belief that possessing a fire arm offers extra protection? Because I've seen several articles and statistics that say possession of fire-arm doesn't increase the likelihood of you being safe in a dangerous situation, especially if you're responsible and your weapon is likely out of reach and unloaded; along with other contributing factors. 

In ALL reality, a gun doesn't make a person safer.  To be at all safe, you need regular and consistent training.  People who carry "for protection" usually rarely, if ever, go to ranges to practice shooting.  If they aren't practicing hitting still targets, they can't hit moving targets.  Cops have also said that those people make it harder to know who the criminal is.  You see a person with a gun at a crime scene, and you go after that person.  It costs them time apprehending a criminal, and can result in an innocent person dying.  I do know a person who killed an intruder, but he's an exception who went to the range every Saturday and trained hard to be as safe as he could be, and even then an intruder in your home isn't the same as a person in public.  Speaking of public, some lady recently was killed when the gun she kept in her purse discharged.

Then again, I'm just another non-American who doesn't understand gun-culture. Guns scare the shit out of me! 

Those people scare me too because they're the sort who claim that whoever has the most guns has the power.  It feels like a threat.

On 7/10/2017 at 4:44 AM, WhyNotJulie said:

I guess our countries just have different cultures though. Canada is far less concerned (or more concerned, depending how you look at it) about the average citizen's right to shoot other people.

Our constitution actually doesn't protect the right for just anybody to have guns.  Well-regulated militia.  That's it.  The idiots wanting no regulations need to read the 3rd word of the amendment they claim says they can have uzis.

21 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I win this one. Seriously. I need a trophy.

Our house was burgled a few years ago (our neighbor knew him and turned him in - thank goodness!). He's in prison. Part of his Facebook profile is public. In one (public) photo on his FB, his girlfriend is wearing MY SUNGLASSES. When I saw that, I fumbled my phone and clicked "ADD FRIEND."

Yall.

And also (because guns):  every single one of our guns stayed in our house, thanks to our bolted-to-the-floor gun safe (where my "good" jewelry also was). You're welcome. :)  Everything else that wasn't nailed down was taken, though - including every single electronic thing, food from our fridge and pantry, clothes, bed linens, and a wall mirror.

Oh my everything, that one wins everything. I'm so sorry you had to experience all of that though, hope you got your things and everything else back.

My experience isn't quite as mortifying as yours, but a couple of years back, I was in my first (and only) serious relationship and a bit into it, I reconnected with my former best friend from elementary school. Him and I used to be inseparable, but picked different high schools and completely lost contact. He added me on Facebook and we talked a lot and it made me feel really nostalgic.

My boyfriend got really curious about him too, since he never heard me mention him, so I gave him my phone one evening and told him to go ahead and take a look at his profile to see if he somehow knows him (which wasn't likely since they were from two different towns) and to check his older posts and pictures for mentions of me (since both him and I both made accounts on Facebook in the 7th grade and were pretty active on them). 

I think we were watching Law&Order at the time, when I heard my ex scream and drop my phone in panic. I looked at him with giant question marks over my head and he proceeded to tell me that he accidentally tagged another friend of mine in my former best friend's pic from 6 years ago while he was scrolling around, USING MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. Imagine how mortified I was.

I immediately messaged the guy to tell him what happened (and the friend who was "tagged) and he answered back in confusion, since he hadn't received a notification about the tag or anything. Turns out, my ex only thought he tagged our friend in the photo - he never pressed "okay" so the tag didn't save.  And I went ahead and told two of my friends a bizarre story about my then boyfriend tagging one of them in the photo of the other, when that in fact, did not happen.

(Imagine how that conversation went:
"Hey sorry, I let my boyfriend use my Facebook account to cyber stalk you and he accidentally did an 'oopsie' and tagged a person you don't even know in one of your photos from six years ago. So how's your evening? Warm weather, isn't it?"

"What????")

I was so angry at him, I never let him use my social media accounts again and called him "sticky" fingers for a while after. LOL

I'm the aunt notorious for being my niece the most obnoxious toys in existence. I've made it my mission to outdo myself every year. 

4 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I've made it my mission to outdo myself every year. 

We used to send the Brit-nephews lots of things. Loud things.

The best? One year (three boys):  a xylophone, a triangle, and a set of cymbals.

Now they're teens, so we just send American candy/snacks. lol

11 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I'm the aunt notorious for being my niece the most obnoxious toys in existence. I've made it my mission to outdo myself every year. 

I used to do that to one of my sisters until I had a kid myself and suffered the consequences. :pb_lol:

My favorite was this iCarly sound FX toy I got my niece. One of the things it did was booed, so she'd carry it around and whenever my sister told her something she didn't like, she hit the "boo" button. 

32 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

Are you me? I've gotten a guitar, a nerf gun, numerous toys that need batteries, remote control cars, a helicopter drone that kept getting in peoples hair. 

I've never gotten obnoxious toys for anyone's kids. Partly because it's just plain mean and partly because I don't want anyone doing that to me. :pb_lol:

We gave our grand wolves the notorious popper. The toy you push with a handle that has balls and an annoying noise. However, Wolf boy gave their 4 year old a drum set last Christmas.

@Bad Wolf That popper thing, though! GryffindorDisappointment's disappeared one day while she napped. She never missed it. lol

My nephew was the recipient of the Ghostbusters Fire House, complete with about 6 cans of slime that you could pour onto the action figures through a grate in the roof. 

My sister thanked me for this gift by giving my children gobs of   neon colored Playdoh, some of which is still in the carpet.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@Bad Wolf That popper thing, though! GryffindorDisappointment's disappeared one day while she napped. She never missed it. lol

Ha! This is like the fire engine my nephew got for Christmas one year... the one with the high-pitched siren and no volume control. My brother-in-law and I, uh, "inspected its insides" later that night. And it was the strangest thing... the next day all the lights still worked but the siren didn't any more. :D 

On 2017-07-08 at 2:57 AM, ThunderRolls said:

One of my friends was super proud she and her husband got their wedding thank yous out within the first month of their wedding. She and her husband split the notes in half. Well, I received a thank you from her husband's half: "Thank you for comforter. It is warm."

This is exactly what my oldest brother would have written had his wife forced him to write thank you notes. He is not actually bad at writing techically (he can spell and use grammar reasonably well) but he has no imagination. He would probably have done great calling every single person thanking them in person but he can't write anything that isn't extremely straight forward.

Just now, elliha said:

This is exactly what my oldest brother would have written had his wife forced him to write thank you notes. He is not actually bad at writing techically (he can spell and use grammar reasonably well) but he has no imagination. He would probably have done great calling every single person thanking them in person but he can't write anything that isn't extremely straight forward.

Haha, that's basically my friend's husband. If I didn't actually know him, I would honestly think he was kind of dumb based on that thank-you note - but the man has an MBA and is pretty sharp in person. Definitely not a letter-writer, though!

I have a stalking story similar to, but not nearly as bad as @SapphireSlytherin's.  I was Facebook stalking a classmate and dropped my phone and accidentally hit "add friend" as I caught my phone.  We were acquaintances and it'd be awkward to cancel the request, so I just went with it.

For some reason, maybe it's a gift from Rufus (Bless thy mighty antlers), but I can totally handle my kid playing with annoying toys. I can tune out the crappy tiny plastic Mickey recorder, I can ignore the Spider-Man drum set, I can appreciate his random singing outbursts of Total Eclipse of the Heart and My Heart Will Go On. However, the other day I found out that I cannot tolerate his Spongebob laugh. That was the only time I've ever had to tell him to stop doing something just because the sound was annoying me. Ugh. I love Spongebob, but NOOOOOOOOOPE!

My bratty sister has given my kids a music set, recorders, whoopie cushions, silly putty and a really scary book that is supposed to be for kids but it's about a spider that kidnaps and eats other kid bugs or something. I can't remember what it's called because it's shoved in a closet somewhere but I read it before reading it to my then 18 month old and could not believe it was for kids. She's a really good aunt though so I guess it could be worse.

(It sucks though because I can't even get her back when she has kids someday because she's pretty sure she doesn't want kids.)

I hope Jinger exclusively buys her younger siblings noise makers. Merry Christmas Jim Boob and Michelle!!!! 

On 7/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, evolutionbaby said:

Hey y'all. I am a dual citizen of both Canada and America. I was raised and have lived most of my life in Canada though, so I understand what it's like to live in a sane and peaceful society where the average citizen doesn't feel the need to own a gun. It's quite lovely.

Anyway...being that I have lived both sides of this argument I have considered it quite a bit, and I have come up with the PERFECT solution to the "gunundrum"!

Bring back DUELLING! Seriously, hear me out. They should make it law that to obtain a licence for ONE gun you should have to win a duel. This would cut the population of gun ownership in half within a few years, and all licensed gun owners would fully understand the ramifications, consequences, and responsibility of using the guns that they own.

PROBLEM SOLVED! :D

Canada already did :P 

I think one of the most ear-splitting moments (for my mother) of my childhood was in 3rd grade - all the students got recorders. It was thrilling for me, but I'm sure my endless renditions of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star made my mom want to crawl up the wall. 

One of my friends recently bought my baby a rattle like the one below. It's basically a stick of choking hazards, but of course, it's the first thing my daughter wants if it's in eyesight (the friend who got this is the friend who was throwing grapes into her toddler's mouth...so not much common sense there). The only reason we keep it around is the annoying sound stops one of my cats from clawing the furniture. 

rainbow-jingle-bell-rattle-a.jpg

This thing is the work of Satan. And it seems like every waiting room or kid-friendly area has one. 

IMG_0645.JPG

My friends are very Catholic and went thru a phase where they were VERY sanctimonious about it, including, somehow, being both holier than thou about no sex before marriage AND accepting children as the Lord wills...including their first child, who was born (full term) 4 months after they wed.  :my_rolleyes:

So for the child's baptism, I got her a child's Nativity Scene that plays music whenever you put the figures into their places.  She LOVED it.  So much so that they were unable to put it away when the holiday season ended.

5 years and 3 kids later, that Nativity Scene is still out and playing Christmas Carols all day in July.  The parents have calmed down with their sanctimoniousness, and we've repaired our friendship...but I still get texts out of the blue sometimes that read "I love and hate you for that manger set!" 

17 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

My friends are very Catholic and went thru a phase where they were VERY sanctimonious about it, including, somehow, being both holier than thou about no sex before marriage AND accepting children as the Lord wills...including their first child, who was born (full term) 4 months after they wed.  :my_rolleyes:

This reminds me of my faux-fundie friend - incredibly sanctimonious and ready to point that finger at everyone who isn't a conservative Christian like she. Turns out she was in her second trimester when she got married (she swears it happened the first and ONLY time she and her future husband had pre-marital relations). According to her, she and her husband were already "married in the eyes of God" so she didn't technically commit a sin. Apparently this particular loophole is only reserved for herself. 

20 minutes ago, ThunderRolls said:

This reminds me of my faux-fundie friend - incredibly sanctimonious and ready to point that finger at everyone who isn't a conservative Christian like she. Turns out she was in her second trimester when she got married (she swears it happened the first and ONLY time she and her future husband had pre-marital relations). According to her, she and her husband were already "married in the eyes of God" so she didn't technically commit a sin. Apparently this particular loophole is only reserved for herself. 

I think that loophole is fairly common. I went  to a conservative Christian college and SURPRISE-- lots of 8lbs babies born six months after the weddings. I heard a lot of "already married in the eyes of God" from couples who got "caught" having pre-marital sex. That loophole  never made much sense to me...

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived