IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Back in Arkansas?

Coconut Flan

41 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Michael and Brandon Keilen is the woman's name first! Hah, that's what they get for messing up Michael's name!

Haha, sorry. It's actually B4randon and Michael Keilen. Funny mistake though. :D

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Embarrassingly, I watched the episode of the Worlds Strictest Parents that the Forsyth family was on. Terry (Austin's dad) stated it's Jesus first then dad, then mom. And he referred to Roxanne his wife as his help mate the whole time. So not shocked at all that Austin would consider himself above Joy at all. 

21 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I'm glad I'm not God. I'll let Him sort it out and I'm not going to argue if He let's the whole world into heaven. (Now you see why my fundie brethren think I'm a liberal!)

A thousand times yes. I'm an extreme liberal Christian and I don't feel that my being a Christ follower gives me speshul snowflake status.

I would like to see the part of the bible that says Jesus was married. I mean from my point of view, Jesus had to be married. He was 33 at the time of crucifiction and in that day and age it was illegal highly unlikely for an adult Jewish male to be unmarried. However, if you know Jewish women, they are most definitely the head of the household. We're a very matriarchal people. Even in orthodox household, as someone quoted, the men might be the head but the women are the neck. Nothing happens unless it's approved.

PS: I realized I don't know how to spell crucifiction. Oops.

I just watched this week's episode (in the background, while doing housework), but I was struck by how happy and friendly the Forsyth family seems! Mr. Forsyth (who looks super grumpy in the wedding photos) was quick to do what his wife asked him to do, he greeted Joy warmly, etc.

Mrs. Forsyth, also photo-grumpy, was all smiles and friendly as well. You can tell they love Joy and their children and are true PARENTS.

Truth:  I've not watched the Forsyth thing on World's Strictest Parents.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:30 PM, JillyO said:

Is it weird that Joy and Austin went on their missioncation with an apparently Messianic Jewish organization? I don't know enough about Messianic Judaism to really decide, but it seems out of character.

Actually, from the what I understand of messianic Judaism the duggars are pretty much messianic Jews. "Real" Jews look down on Jews for Jesus as basically people look convert people to Christianity while keeping/co-opting Old Testament most traditions. Since the duggars basically love living consistent with biblical times and Old Testament but also want Jesus this religions is pretty much right up their alley. My understanding is all third hand and iffy so take it with a grain of salt.

15 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

in that day and age it was illegal for an adult Jewish male to be unmarried. 

Source? I've literally never heard that before. You'd think it would be one of the main arguments used to discredit the legitimacy of the New Testament and/or Christian tradition, if true.

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Source? I've literally never heard that before. You'd think it would be one of the main arguments used to discredit the legitimacy of the New Testament and/or Christian tradition, if true.

I phrased it wrong. I don't know exactly the passage but in his time Jewish men were given a wife at 18. The chances are he was married. When I get home I'll look for the passage. 

I prefer that Mr. 05's name is first. Because if you put mine first, the two together are a celebrity's name. Someone not incredibly famous but well-known enough that there have been double takes. 

We noticed on our wedding cards/gifts, way back then, that we could tell whose side it was from by whose name was first. That is still the case in a lot of things. His friends/family tend to put his name first while mine put mine first. 

I often put my husband's name first when we do initials. Our initials with me first are MR. last name so I tend to put RM

My first name has 3 syllables, and Mr. Wolf's has 1. It sounds better to me for his name to come first.  Bob and Jezebel e.g. rather than the other way around. Actually, I don't care who goes first, as long as I'm not Mrs. Bob.

Just when I think this family can't stoop any lower...

They will use anything and anyone to further their own agenda; even Holocaust survivors aren't safe from their proselytising :my_angry:

They really are absolutely vile. 

13 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My first name has 3 syllables, and Mr. Wolf's has 1. It sounds better to me for his name to come first.

Same here. And also - my first initial is S - his is M. So, we get S&M if I'm first (yes, my hubs ordered return-address labels that way - intentionally). lol

When I re-ordered checks and return mail address labels several months ago I picked out the ones I wanted (cute pandas) and put my name first. My husband was initially upset that I put my name before his but I was like Oh no, I'm the one who takes care of paying our bills and writing out the checks and sending birthday cards etc., don't you dare pull that patriarchy shit on me. He shut up real quick. 

I was always told to put the women's name first so the man's name wouldn't be split.  So both ways hint at patriarchy.  

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I've heard it before. There's a theory that the wedding feast at Cana was Jesus' own wedding.

Their FB is strange. So is Austin the first SIL that is steeped in the same brand of Christianity as the Duggars?  Is he also the first one not to seek out the Duggars? ( Did Jeremy seek them out?  I can't remember.  How exactly did he know Bin?  The don't really seem like that close of friends. )  Austin and Joy may have the easiest time adjusting to married life.  She may not know he liked cheesecake so much, but they do know all the ins and outs (rules and regulations?) of each other's faith.  

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I would like to see the part of the bible that says Jesus was married. I mean from my point of view, Jesus had to be married. He was 33 at the time of crucifiction and in that day and age it was illegal highly unlikely for an adult Jewish male to be unmarried. However, if you know Jewish women, they are most definitely the head of the household. We're a very matriarchal people. Even in orthodox household, as someone quoted, the men might be the head but the women are the neck. Nothing happens unless it's approved.

Agree completely; he even gets called Rabbi.  Not possible if not married I don't think.  

1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

Agree completely; he even gets called Rabbi.  Not possible if not married I don't think.  

I think he was called Rabbi, symbolically. Bible contains a lot of metaphors, proverbs and symbolism. I don't believe he was an actual Rabbi as per Biblical accounts, he pissed off a fair number of them.

I've heard the theory of Jesus being possibly married, but I thought the point was that he operated on the fringes? Their is certainly no mention of a wife in any biblical accounts.There is not an account of a lot of his young adult life (his 20s) but at the time he was considered to be contraversial. 

@OyToTheVey Wow,I've never heard of that rule. It was my ubderstanding  that men usually married in around  20s? I was told that Mary was probably in her early-mid teens and Joseph was 20- something.

10 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

I want to see that part in the Bible where couple's name order is mentioned.

It's right between the parts about "ebil birth control" and "oh noes, teh gays, they sinning again!"

1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

I've heard the theory of Jesus being possibly married, but I thought the point was that he operated on the fringes? Their is certainly no mention of a wife in any biblical accounts.There is not an account of a lot of his young adult life (his 20s) but at the time he was considered to be contravers

He moved around a lot with a group of men and yes, on the fringes.  In the same way that I dont believe John the Baptist was married I dont think Jesus would have been.  Domestic life and children would have slowed them down and if either of them had produced children they would have been obligated to provide and educate them rather than preach to the masses.

5 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

crucifixion.

2 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

crucifixion.

THANK YOU! Sadly spell check failed me too :giggle:

5 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I phrased it wrong. I don't know exactly the passage but in his time Jewish men were given a wife at 18. The chances are he was married. When I get home I'll look for the passage. 

I'm not Jewish, but my study of history tells me that an unmarried person at that age was almost unheard of. I'm also fairly certain Mary Magdalen was his wife, she was made to look like a prostitute in the early church to avoid the appearance that Christ did indeed marry.  

But what I don't understand is if he was married what is the big deal? The Bible says he was without sin, but having a wife isn't sinful and having sex during marriage isn't sinful, so him being married doesn't take away from his sinlessness. Why do people get upset at the idea Christ was married?

1 minute ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm not Jewish, but my study of history tells me that an unmarried person at that age was almost unheard of. I'm also fairly certain Mary Magdalen was his wife, she was made to look like a prostitute in the early church to avoid the appearance that Christ did indeed marry.  

But what I don't understand is if he was married what is the big deal? The Bible says he was without sin, but having a wife isn't sinful and having sex during marriage isn't sinful, so him being married doesn't take away from his sinlessness. Why do people get upset at the idea Christ was married?

Yes someone else that thinks Mary Magdalene was his wife! I really think so too. I always feel like a conspiracy theorist when I say it. But I really think she was, as you said, made a prostitute to make him look unmarried. And I don't understand what was so sinful about Jesus being married. It was normal for that age period. At 33, it would have been unheard of for men or women to be single unless their spouse died. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived