IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

That kinda went out decades ago.  I have never know anyone who believed in transubstantiation.  All kinds of old "folk" beliefs come and go.   

Is transubstantiation changing the bread into the body of Christ.....if so people still believe that and call it the {"Real Presence".

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Is transubstantiation changing the bread into the body of Christ.....if so people still believe that and call it the {"Real Presence".

Pretty sure that's still a significant thing for Catholics. My friend had me attend her church in college and we got to ask questions and they def believe they are consuming the literal body of Christ. When I mentioned my less religious cousins who are also catholic (they call themselves cafeteria Catholics) and believe it to be representative, I was told "they are wrong." This girl is highly intelligent and has a phd, just gave birth and I'm sure is raising her baby in this belief system. Just adding that this type of Catholicism is hardly dead and the belief system isn't limited to the old or uneducated.

I really tried to hold back my "isn't this cannibalism" questions out of respect for her. 

Hey now, the Pope does a lot for the people. When I studied in Rome it was common knowledge that Papa Benedicto could cure hangovers with his morning sighting, also super common for people to swing by St. Peter's on the way to class to receive that particular blessing and swore it worked. 

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@Jug Band Baby

I respect your opinions and your right to state them however you feel is best. That said, I really don't appreciate the argumentative and hostile tone you're taking with me when I've been nothing but polite and civil in this overall discussion. 

(And for the record, many of the women I know who gave birth recently went to the same practice and hospital as me. Their practice is popular because they're respectful and have excellent outcomes. The right Doctor and facility can make a massive difference in overall experience - it saddens me that many women in the US don't have more options in practicioners or birthing facilities, even if they choose not to utilize them.)

Thank you for saying this. I have noticed an argumentative and hostile tone in other threads also. That can have a chilling effect on the discussion, unless you are fearless like you and me, haha. 

Nothing wrong with stating strong opinions, but they are just that, opinions. Others are not necessarily wrong because they do not agree or have different experiences and perspectives. 

Oh, and I know not one person who has had a home birth. Metro Chicago here. My hospital birth experience was excellent. Some bad experiences don't mean all bad experiences, and that goes for anything.

Sorry for the superflous wording in the quote, will ask a mod to remove. 

As a cradle Catholic, I have to chuckle that out of all our crazy Canon, transubstantiation is getting heat.  Are there people who still believe it? Sure. Me, I guess. It's not as unique as Catholics would like it to be and a bit Pagan, honestly. But I never found it to be so out there as some of you. 

Its not that I believe the bread LITERALLY becomes human flesh, it's a spiritual thing where communion with God infuses the bread with the blessing of Jesus that was first bestowed at the Last Supper. 

Its just a very specific form of consecration, which is found in every religion I know of. I see no radical difference between that and holy water, but heck, I'm rather fond of pagan popery. 

I don't know anyone who's had a home birth.  I met a woman who had one unintentionally.  She was alone with her toddler, no phone, no vehicle, and no neighbors.  Her sudden labor and delivery was traumatic for both her and her toddler, but she did deliver a healthy baby.

My mom had a friend who almost delivered at home, again, unintentionally.  Sudden labor with her sixth (and last) kid.  Her husband got her to the car and since the hospital was only a few minutes away, they thought she'd at least get through the doors for the delivery.  Nope.  Had the kid in the parking lot.  Another successful delivery, and the bonus of having their story on the front page of the local paper.  

My first grandchild is expected later this year.  I asked my daughter if she was considering a home birth.  I had visions of being there, helping out, maybe a birthing tub or something.  My daughter said no way.  It's a hospital for her.  She wants lots of medical people around her and no cleanup after the event.

I worked with a woman,and she had 3 kids..the oldest,was born at home,unintentionally.Her second was born in the hospital elevator,her third and last was born in the hospital.I have a friend,and she had her second son,at home,again unintentionally.Both women had tohave someone call an ambulance to transfer them to the hospital.She called the OBGyn and told him she had delivered...at home.The doctor said that had not happened to him..before.

USCCB on gluten and alcohol as used in communion: 

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/order-of-mass/liturgy-of-the-eucharist/celiac-disease-and-alcohol-intolerance.cfm

Our previous priest was a recovering alcoholic. He used mustum in the cup he drank from at masses and wine was in the common cups for distribution. 

Note that for those who are gluten free, it is acceptable to only receive wine at communion and they are allowed to request it even if wine is not distributed at that mass (some week day masses and school masses might not offer wine to the congregation). 

The Catholic church in general still teaches and believes in transubstantiation. 

I'd be surprised if she hit like on purpose, on account of the expletive, but check out Jill's latest twitter like:

IMG_7501.PNG

I saw this awesome poster earlier and thought of this thread. It was brilliant - it said: Faith is like a penis. It's okay to have one, it's great to be proud of it, but it's not okay to whip it out in public.

I laughed so hard I damn nearly drowned in my tea.

4 hours ago, Flossie said:

I don't know anyone who's had a home birth.  I met a woman who had one unintentionally.  She was alone with her toddler, no phone, no vehicle, and no neighbors.  Her sudden labor and delivery was traumatic for both her and her toddler, but she did deliver a healthy baby.

My mom had a friend who almost delivered at home, again, unintentionally.  Sudden labor with her sixth (and last) kid.  Her husband got her to the car and since the hospital was only a few minutes away, they thought she'd at least get through the doors for the delivery.  Nope.  Had the kid in the parking lot.  Another successful delivery, and the bonus of having their story on the front page of the local paper.  

My first grandchild is expected later this year.  I asked my daughter if she was considering a home birth.  I had visions of being there, helping out, maybe a birthing tub or something.  My daughter said no way.  It's a hospital for her.  She wants lots of medical people around her and no cleanup after the event.

I know a few that did the birthing center we have here in town. Another friend/acquaintance that was headed there or the hospital, didn't make it, side of the road it was!

On 6/14/2017 at 0:27 PM, SassyPants said:

26 is the cut off age for remaining on the parent's insurance, but the person needs to be a full time student, which Jill is not.

Derick worked for a year at WM and had very few expenses- parents provided home, furnishings, cars... Add in the TLC money, the People mag money.

I hope that the cost of Jill's care DOES affect the Dillards- maybe they need a wake up call. Of course that would probably just drive Derick further into the developing world. 

There is NO excuse for a college educated man, with a family of near 4 to support is not working FT. The unemployment rate is low right now. There is no excuse for these folks not to be self supporting, and that includes paying for any and all medical bills.

Are you referring to Arkansas specifically because I was allowed to stay on my parents insurance (even after I married) until this last fall when I turned 26 despite not being in college. 

*Now I see that this has already been stated by others.

5 hours ago, melon said:

I worked with a woman,and she had 3 kids..the oldest,was born at home,unintentionally.Her second was born in the hospital elevator,her third and last was born in the hospital.I have a friend,and she had her second son,at home,again unintentionally.Both women had tohave someone call an ambulance to transfer them to the hospital.She called the OBGyn and told him she had delivered...at home.The doctor said that had not happened to him..before.

My son was born in the car. My second birth. The labor was very sporadic and went from 0 to 60, I never had a traditional labor pattern with his L&D, my water broke in the car and minutes later he was completely out.

I had two successful birth center births following that baby. However my birth center is hospital affiliated.

I also understand the insurance to be until 26 married, college or not. Hopefully as our son will be 23 in Oct and needs to graduate college and get a job with insurance and that gives him some time. 

I felt that DWreck's education meant good, stable, more normal work life. I wish I had had the inclination and skills to be an accountant. Pays nicely, or course you have to be inclined which I am not.

I must say I love the title of this thread. Great. Grifting is a word that to me just drips with meaning. Drip drip.

This song has been rattling around in my brain today thinking about the Derdork and Jilly Muffin Dullard. Talks about West Arkansas.  I'll put the video and lyrics in spoiler tags because they are rather explicit. The song is long like  8 minutes long.

You Tube video:

Spoiler

Lyrics:

Spoiler

Strap them kids in 
Give 'em a little bit of vodka in a cherry coke
We're going to Oklahoma to the family reunion for the first time in years
It's up at uncle Slayton's cause he's getting on in years
You know he no longer travels but he's still pretty spry
He's not much on talking and he's just too mean to die
And they'll be comin' down from Kansas
And from west Arkansas
It'll be one great big old party like you never saw

Uncle Slayton's got his Texan pride
Back in the thickets with his Asian bride
He's got a Airstream trailer and a Holstein cow 
He still makes whiskey 'cause he still knows how
He plats that Choctaw bingo every Friday night
You know he had to leave Texas but he won't say why
He owns a quarter section up by Lake Eufala
Caught a great big ol' blue cat on a driftin' jug line 
Sells his hardwood timber to the shipping mill
Cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell
He cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell
You know he likes his money he don't mind the smell

My cousin Roscoe Slayton's oldest boy from his second marriage up in Illinois
He was raised in East St. Louis by his momma's people 
Where they do things different 
Thought he'd just come on down
He was going to Dallas Texas in a semi truck called from that big McDonald's
You know the one they built up on that great big ol' bridge
Across the Will Rogers Turnpike
Took the Big Cabin exit stopped and bought a couple of cartons of cigarettes
At that Indian Smoke Shop with the big neon smoke rings
In the Cherokee Nation hit Muskogee late that night 
Somebody ran a stoplight at the Shawnee Bypass 
Roscoe tried to miss 'em but he didn't quite

Bob and Mae come up from little town
Way down by lake Texoma where he coaches football
They were two A champions now for two years running
But he says they won't be this year no they won't be this year
And he stopped off in Tushka at that "Pop's Knife and Gun" place
Bought a SKS rifle and a couple a full cases of that steel core ammo
With the berdan primers from some East bloc nation that no longer needs 'em
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol 
I mean .50 caliber made by bad ass Hebrews 
And some surplus tracers for that old BAR of Slayton's
Soon as it gets dark we're gonna have us a time
We're gonna have us a time

Ruth Ann and Lynn come down from Baxter Springs
That's one hell raisin' town way up in Southeastern Kansas
Got a biker bar next to the lingerie store
That's got them Rolling Stones lips up there where everyone can see 'em
And they burn all night you know they burn all night you know they burn all night

Ruth Ann and Lynn they wear them cut off britches and those skinny little halters
And they're second cousins to me
Man I don't care I want to get between 'em
With a great big ol' hard on like a old bois d' arc fence post
You could hang a pipe rail gait from 
Do some twisted sisters 'til the cows come home 
And we'd be havin' us a time

Uncle Slayton's got his Texan pride
Back in the thickets with his Asian bride
He's cut that corner pasture into acre lots' 
He sells 'em owner financed
Strictly to them that's got no kind of credit 'cCause he knows they're slackers
When they miss that payment
Then he takes it back 
He plays that Choctaw Bingo every Friday night
Drinks that Johnny Walker at that Club 69
We're gonna strap them kids in give 'em a little bit o' Benadryl
And a cherry coke we're goin' to Oklahoma Gonna have us a time

Songwriters: James Mc Murtry

Choctaw Bingo lyrics © Bug Music O/B/O Short Trip Music

This may just be me, but going to SDC with Hippy Jesus sounds like cruel and unusual punishment. I can't verify this, but I just have a feeling that he somehow stops rides halfway through in order to preach to people who can't escape.

11 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

This may just be me, but going to SDC with Hippy Jesus sounds like cruel and unusual punishment. I can't verify this, but I just have a feeling that he somehow stops rides halfway through in order to preach to people who can't escape.

I can't imagine it being very fun either for Jill to be heavily pregnant and at an amusement park on a hot day.

Final note: Poor Jana, seeing her at this outing bums me out.

19 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

on a hot day.

If this is from today, today was extremely mild/comfortable in the area. It was a gorgeous day!

I wonder where the money for all these Silver Dollar City trips comes from, or if they get a group or promotional discount, because SDC is kind of expensive. Like $50 per kid and $62 per adult. Plus the gas for big vehicles to transport them all.

40 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If this is from today, today was extremely mild/comfortable in the area. It was a gorgeous day!

Ah well then I stand corrected. I come from a cold weather state so any day that is above 65-70 with sun is hot haha.

Although amusement parks and 9 months pregnant still aren't a favorable combo. I did a major amusement park at six months pregnant once and was seriously achey.

47 minutes ago, Shadoewolf said:

I wonder where the money for all these Silver Dollar City trips comes from, or if they get a group or promotional discount, because SDC is kind of expensive. Like $50 per kid and $62 per adult. Plus the gas for big vehicles to transport them all.

so basically like $700 for a day - must be coming from TLC or a TLC filmed event 

there you go a TLC filmed event - covered 

Jill needs a storyline of going into fake labour come on 

As much as they go I'm willing to bet they have free passes in exchange for the "press".  No way Jim bo is spending that kinda money on entertainment.

I lol'd at Jill likinga tweet with the word "fuck" in it. I wonder if she has some profanity system on her phone and doesn't evem realize it's there?

29 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Although amusement parks and 9 months pregnant still aren't a favorable combo. I did a major amusement park at six months pregnant once and was seriously achey.

Is it not the same in the states as here: 3rd trimester = no rides ?

2 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

she can fan herself looking out for all her buddies while the real people looking after them are out of camera range

we KNOW YOUR tricks Duggars and Dillards 

it must have been the day before because Jana was with the Seewalds pretending not to be in Jessa's vicinity 

Jana must need a calendar to where to hang out at. 

1 hour ago, MadeItOut said:

I was referring more to walking around at one all day, although maybe she's walking to bring labor?

I did some rides at a theme park but they were okayed by the theme park for pregnant women.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived