IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

The people that believe this also believe in an invisible man in the sky who watches every.single.thing they do and will dole out punishment for "sinning"....

Ooooo!!! You've no ideahow much seeing George Carlin quoted makes my heart sing!

...add the bliss of spotting the evil tablet from hel has at least learnt to offer 'Carlin' as the first choice after George! ...this is asick day, but at least now it's a happy one ;)

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

How do the Dullards react when the waiter offers them wine, like they always do at Olive Garden?  Do they get all preachy or just say no, thank you?

I would imagine they get preachy and tell the waiter that it was grape juice in the bible. Take your devil juice and shove it. 

3 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Ooooo!!! You've no ideahow much seeing George Carlin quoted makes my heart sing!

I loved him. He was SO intelligent and SO right about SO many things!

It's honestly so nice to have found a forum where there are fellow atheists that aren't virulent about it. <3

10 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

It's honestly so nice to have found a forum where there are fellow atheists that aren't virulent about it. <3

Being an atheist doesn't mean you have to be an asshole... lol

35 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

That was something I never understood from fellow atheists. The whole point was that we didn't need a cult to guilt or shame people about our beliefs. That's the appeal. And yet some atheists sort of create this militant righteous zealotry. I always find it interesting how humans are programmed for religion, even religion of atheism.

So there is a lot of anti-Derick sentiment lately and I totally get it.  But, I'm wondering if Derick really thinks he's doing what Jill wants.  She seems (far more than Jessa) to be the type to really crave a headship to guide her.  And he seems to have really taken to that role.   When they met he was a missionary and I bet she went on and on about her "mission" trips to him and maybe he thought that was what she really wanted to do with her life.  Also, she probably at the time thought that was what she wanted too.  Now faced with the harsh reality of actually being a "missionary" it doesn't seem to suite her.  Does she tell Derick that?  Does she suck up her pride and admit its too hard?  Or does she continue to "goody two shoes" it even though she's miserable.  What if they're stuck in a circle where neither of them are being honest to each other.  She's going along and supporting her headship and trying to be fine with it, and he's embracing mission life and making it their focus because he thinks that what she's always wanted.  These couples pray together a lot, but I wonder if their private prayers are a lot different then their couple devotions/prayers.  

Or maybe we're wrong and Jill likes the mission life and feels fulfilled by it.  Pass the banana bread :)

6 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

What if they're stuck in a circle where neither of them are being honest to each other.

I would hope that after 3 years of marriage and almost 2 kids that they would be honest with each other. On the other hand, when the message is beaten into you over and over that Jesus is all that matters and Jesus must be your top reason for and answer to everything, I'm not sure any of them are deeply honest with anyone including themselves. There is too much mind-control at play to ever really know. 

27 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

So there is a lot of anti-Derick sentiment lately and I totally get it.  But, I'm wondering if Derick really thinks he's doing what Jill wants.  

This is possible.  Maybe it all started off with them both having a desire to do missionary work but then it kinda all went to Derick's head.  He seems to be on a bit of a power trip to me. Like he soaked in the kool aid for too long.  I don't know if maybe he still thinks that he and Jill are still on the same page.  Jill just looks so miserable/depressed though, that's what gets me. I don't know if he is blind to her misery or just doesn't care.  

I wonder if they went to Olive Garden for their anniversary dinner because someone on here said they wouldn't let Jill attend their birth even if she was crowning in the middle of Olive Garden. :pb_lol:  

1 hour ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

I wonder if they went to Olive Garden for their anniversary dinner because someone on here said they wouldn't let Jill attend their birth even if she was crowning in the middle of Olive Garden. :pb_lol:  

That was me and I did laugh quite a bit when I saw that they went there. :pb_lol: I hope Jill didn't get the idea to troll around chain restaurants looking for women in precipitous labor.

Happy Transfer of Authority Remembrance Day Derjill (because god forbid the wife's name is mentioned before her headship...)

On June 18, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Gobsmacked said:

The distance from Whistler mountain to the local hospital isn't miles!! The ambulance crew were fantastic.

I haven't been up there in awhile, but NOTHING is far from anything there. Wow. I wonder if they did it because you are not local?

6 hours ago, freshlemonade said:

When they met he was a missionary and I bet she went on and on about her "mission" trips to him and maybe he thought that was what she really wanted to do with her life.  Also, she probably at the time thought that was what she wanted too.  Now faced with the harsh reality of actually being a "missionary" it doesn't seem to suite her.  Does she tell Derick that?  Does she suck up her pride and admit its too hard?  Or does she continue to "goody two shoes" it even though she's miserable.  What if they're stuck in a circle where neither of them are being honest to each other.

I've said this before, but she really believed she had a heart for missions, and this was the life she wanted.  And it was so obviously rewarded by her parents too, that realising it's wrong for her (at least, this model is) must be devastating.

I 100% blame her parents for this.  They brought her up extolling missionary work, telling her she was going on missions and doing God's work when they did all those trips handing out crayons and T-shirts and cuddling adorable children - they made her believe that this was what her life would be like.

A responsible Conservative Christian parent to a kid who said they wanted to be a missionary, should, IMO, give them opportunities to go on different types of missions, and see what they like (eg inner city USA, a works-based mission abroad, etc etc) and get their kid training so they could be useful in their field.  Maybe send their kid off with one sibling, so they're not flying solo the first time, but give them the chance to see what it's like without their parents there.  Give them language lessons, and let them acquire real, useful skills.

In another world, Jill would have learned Spanish, and completed proper midwifery training, and been on a mission where she could see if it really was for her, with mentors who could help see if she could be any use. But no.  JB set her up with Derek, who I can't really blame for believing her when she said she'd been on tons of missions, and that's what she wanted to do with her life etc.

(I can blame Derek for choosing not to get them both training in the USA before they went, esp as he was accepting the Headship role.  I get that they might have wanted to escape the Joshly scandals, but still, they could have done something within the USA that was still far away from the Duggars, AND helped set them up for a more successful trip abroad.    But he's chosen the grifting route, and I suspect they're both suffering for it.  And I really, REALLY think they should have at least tried missioning together in some way before starting a family too - again I blame the parents, because eg courting and working together somewhere is a no, getting education is a no delaying starting a family is a no, actually getting to know each other properly is a no, etc etc etc)

I'm feeling nauseous.  It could be the heatwave or it could be that every suggested video on my YouTube it the "All about Jill" episode.  Not sure  :pb_rollseyes:

5 hours ago, Jessie E said:

e. I don't know if he is blind to her misery or just doesn't care.  

Ummmm,. I have seen this before. The guy thinks Gods will or voice trumps all things.  So if he thinks God said go to Central America 10 days after birthing, then Jill better start packing.  Sadly, it is not usually God but ego.  I think patriarchy has gone to his head.  It is a dam shame when this happens because the kids and wife play second fiddle. The guy could be arrogant, selfish, and blind to her needs and thinking he is righteously leading and obeying God , but the woman pays the price. This might be the case for Jill. And how can she come against "God said?"  You can't.  

25 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I've said this before, but she really believed she had a heart for missions, and this was the life she wanted. 

I think if she wasn't fundie and wasn't married to an asshole she'd realize what she thought she wanted isn't a fit, and make a "career" change. You know, the option us heathens have. But she can't. She's stuck 

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Being an atheist doesn't mean you have to be an asshole... lol

And being an asshole doesn't mean you're an atheist...

On 6/19/2017 at 1:15 PM, Greendoor said:

I will never understand Prosperity Gospel - it's an oxymoron.  

Jesus did not teach that, so can these people really be seen as Christian?  

It means give me so much money i can buy my third private jet while you will default on your mortgage. But don't worry God will like you better if you do.

On 6/18/2017 at 8:22 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The young healthy folks with no families who use minimal health care, they are mad that they are paying for other people why should they have to pay because some junkie OD. 

I agree with most of what you're saying, except for this part. In my experience, the people who are angriest about the ACA and attempts to socialize healthcare (which I am in favor of, by the way) are older people - typically white people above 50 but below Medicare age. All my under 35 friends are openly supportive of single payer type systems.

The problem is that the current health insurance model in the US means that younger healthier people are not just subsidizing older people's actually healthcare, but rather older people's insurance premiums. That's why I think there's no bandaid big enough to fix the current for-profit system we have. It's just such an absurd patchwork, multiple tier clusterf*ck that only makes sense for someone like me, who has been lucky to have good to excellent health insurance my entire life with low out of pocket costs through my parents, school, or work. I currently pay $0/month in premiums and have an in-network deductible of $1,500 and an out-of-pocket max of $7000.

But I still strongly advocate for a single payer model because I know that there but for the grace of God go I, and it could be me next week out of a job with no insurance only to get into a car accident or receive a bad diagnosis.

That's what I don't get about the "I got mine!" folks in the US when it comes to healthcare. Have they never had a family member who got diagnosed with a serious but treatable chronic condition at a young age? Or who had a premature baby that required a long and expensive NICU stay? Or who had a brief seizure that lead to a $3000 ambulance and ER bill (after "good" insurance)? Or who got appendicitis on a high-deductible plan (pre-ACA) and got hit with a $15,000 surgery bill? Those are just examples I can think of off the top of my head among immediate family and close friends. And I run in a pretty privileged, middle-to-upper middle class, generally health-conscious crowd. But sh*t happens, and one's outcome should not be dependent on how much money he/she has in a checking account or stuffed in the mattress. And no amount of charity is going to pay for frickin' chemo,  by the way.

1 hour ago, LittleOwl said:

I'm feeling nauseous.  It could be the heatwave or it could be that every suggested video on my YouTube it the "All about Jill" episode.  Not sure  :pb_rollseyes:

What is with youtube? I was suggested that a few days ago. I gagged. 

8 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I hate it when fellow atheists are aggressive and angry. Not saying we don't have reasons to be angry, but I've seen some serious harassment, and what's the point?  Some people - a lot of people - could not cope in this world without their faith.  They'd just be even more horrible.

8 hours ago, KelseyAnn said:

I wouldn't be here if they were. Lots of peaceful coexistence here.

I haven't read this thread yet but did anyonev not know Jill and derick are on their babymoon anniversary because they have been married for three years. Videos are online because we have to celebrate them

um no

8 minutes ago, AudreyE said:

I hate it when fellow atheists are aggressive and angry. Not saying we don't have reasons to be angry, but I've seen some serious harassment, and what's the point?  Some people - a lot of people - could not cope in this world without their faith.  They'd just be even more horrible.

I don't know about the be even more horrible part. Without getting into it too much, I don't choose to believe because I can't cope, that's a stereotype.

Whether atheist or not, aggressive anger persuades no one, especially when it crosses into disrespect and ridicule. To each their own. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived