IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Switzerland to the Backwoods of Arkansas

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

That sounds amazing. Where do you live? I want to move there. :)

We bought wine, beer and cider for our party and I think my parents still have some of the bottles that were left over. We married 7 years ago. In my area it's common to have your reception in community halls where you cater and bring your own drinks. I have been to a wedding where the alcohol was home made. 

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. It's pretty cool, we have a strong sense of community, there's always something happening in our tiny town (population 164).

Sounds like your weddings are quite similar to ours. We still have some hard liquor left from our wedding, we kept a few bottles but we don't really drink rum or tequila so it only comes out for visitors. And my FIL made us a special batch of moonshine as a gift, that is long gone though ☺.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in the Happy to go to bed at 10pm bunch, too. I have to get up at 6:30am Mo-Fr and my body is used to this rhythm. Nevertheless I do everything I can to stay as long as possible on special occasions (wedding, birthday, christening...). The older we get the less time we all spend together. In school we saw us several times a week after school, in university it became less (due to different universities or work), and now everyone is working, some people moved away for jobs, many are part of different social circles (old friends, job friends..). When one of those occasions role around everyone is there. Even old friends you might not be in contact with anymore. I don't want to waste this opportunity even if I am tired.

Same goes for family. With moving out and further away, job, partner and friends and the in laws I spend less time with them (still more than many people though). 

And I can totally confirm what another poster said. It is the old generation that tends to stay the longest. My 84 year old grandmother often leaves after us. I pray I can be like this too at that age!

8 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

I've seen "Dear Abby" type letters where people have asked how they are expected to stay when the bride and groom are still dancing at 2 and 3 in the morning, and the letter writers are just not up to such a late evening/early dawn. I think the answer was the reason for the earlier etiquette no longer applies, and to leave when you've stayed a reasonable amount of time, and it's prudent for you to leave so as to arrive home safely.

My understanding is nowadays the rule is to wait to leave until after the bride and groom cut the cake. Which seems much more manageable for early birds/people with next morning plans.

I still feel a bit bad for my brother. He was married in a dry county in the south and most of the bride's friends had personal convictions about dancing so there was none of that either. 

An hour and a half after the wedding ended the reception was pretty much over and everyone who had travelled to get to the wedding was hanging out in the hotel bar one county over. We all had a great time. I don't think they did. 

Maybe I'm the only one here who has been to weddings where the bride and groom leave during the reception, everyone stays to send them off and then leave themselves (and I've never been to a fundie wedding). If you want to leave earlier, leaving after the cake cutting seems to be generally appropriate either way.

On 6/18/2017 at 5:07 PM, louisa05 said:

Try telling people you are an English teacher: 
"I hated my English teacher"

My English teachers were my favorites. I particularly loved my 7th grade Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Juanita Grayum. She made us stand by our desks and recite the "to be" verbs, and chided us if we used them in our writing. The strict enforcement, one realizes later, strengthened our creative writing vocabulary. She had us read passages aloud and praised my narration, which bolstered my confidence in my eventual ability to speak before a crowd. Looking back, it strikes me she navigated our changing era as a kind of middle-aged Mary Poppins, though I'm sure she'd have found that a silly comparison.

She also talked with me before and after class on various topics, including the importance of breakfast, of avoiding sugar, and of the refreshing nature of a good glass of water.

My English teachers were my favorites. I particularly loved my 7th grade Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Juanita Grayum. She made us stand by our desks and recite the "to be" verbs, and chided us if we used them in our writing. The strict enforcement, one realizes later, strengthened our creative writing vocabulary. She had us read passages aloud and praised my narration, which bolstered my confidence in my eventual ability to speak before a crowd. Looking back, it strikes me she navigated our changing era as a kind of middle-aged Mary Poppins, though I'm sure she'd have found that a silly comparison.

If any of my former students are out there describing me as "a middle aged Mary Poppins" I may become suicidal.

28 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

My English teachers were my favorites. I particularly loved my 7th grade Language Arts teacher, Mrs. Juanita Grayum. She made us stand by our desks and recite the "to be" verbs, and chided us if we used them in our writing. The strict enforcement, one realizes later, strengthened our creative writing vocabulary. 

My 11th grade American literature teacher had a similar approach with "to be" verbs. For each paper, he had us write the first draft, then circle every "to be" verb we wrote. We were supposed to rewrite all of those sentences. In the final version, we could use is/was/were a handful of times, then lost 1 point per use after the allotted number. It definitely made me a better writer.

29 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

If any of my former students are out there describing me as "a middle aged Mary Poppins" I may become suicidal.

Listen, she was a character. For a 12 year-old, both daunting and intriguing, and utterly unforgettable. But you know, I'm looking back forty years, seeing her with her hair piled on her head, her fashionable yet slightly out of time dresses, her features—which were striking, but must have been incredibly lovely a little earlier on, always "on point," but in her own particular way. And if I could take her for a role model, I certainly would. I looked her up a couple years ago, found she was still alive in her late 80s or early 90s, not sure now, though.

My grandmother was an English teacher. Between kindergarten and fourth grade, I spent a summer "week" at her house, helping pick vegetables, gathering eggs, and making jellies/jams.

While she was canning the veggies, I sat at her kitchen table - diagramming sentences! She made it fun; she also gave me a thorough understanding for all the parts of speech before I even began to learn them in school.

2 minutes ago, Incognito22 said:

This may have already been answered but did Joy go barefoot ala Jill at her wedding?

She wore brown sandals. She was shown with silver sandals in pictures from trying on dresses. She should have worn those instead.

Just now, justmy2cents said:

She wore brown sandals. She was shown with silver sandals in pictures from trying on dresses. She should have worn those instead.

That makes sense.  It just looked like bare feet.  Thanks!

On 2017-6-20 at 9:37 AM, Million Children For Jesus said:

Oh, heck YES! Did you ever see the show, "Cuckoo," with Andy Samberg?

What is this?

It's a jacket potato.

JA-QUETTE   POE-TAY-TOE   Well, it's fucking delicious. 

You had me at jacket potato, but I'm also dairy free, so homemade dairy free ice cream sounds fantastic. Your wedding meal sounds lovely. I would be totally obnoxious and say JA-QUETTE POE-TAY-TOE all night long, and laugh every time. That scene slayed me, and potatoes will always be fun from now on. 

I never saw it, but do you have a link?

You so just made the wedding - that has to be done!

You probably already know the method for the dairy free icecream (apparently it's well known in dairy free circles). We're going to end up serving vanilla and let people do their own thing with fruit/nuts/toppings, but we trialled four - the plain is very banana-y, but a few drops of vanilla really makes it taste the real deal. The chocolate was okay, but then we added instant coffee granules for a mocha flavour and that was to die for.

I read somewhere that the second freezing really improves it - and it did.

22 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Divorce is pretty much a no go, unless he turned out to be a mass murdering rapist, I'm pretty sure she's expected to stay.  I'm not sure how the him leaving the faith, do you mean going full on atheist or just not subscribing to the Gothardite bull shit?   I know several women who's husbands were not religious and they stayed married but prayed the husband would come around.  

Just once I met someone from the old community and she asked why I left. I was kinda stunned (at that point I was a wheeler still) and said 'you mean, other than 35 permanent disabilities?', to which her response was "yeah, but why did you leave him?". On the plus side, I've never doubted getting out since.

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Wait... you mean, you aren't? I've been picturing you wrong all these years! My life is a lie!!!!! :pb_lol:

42 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

never saw it, but do you have a link?

You so just made the wedding - that has to be done!

Cuckoo is on Netflix, but you can find the potato scene on YouTube. Type in "Cuckoo discovers the jacket potato" uploaded by Ben Wheeler. 

Spoiler Alert: There may or may not be a plotline involving a potato truck during season 1. You'll have to watch. 

On 6/14/2017 at 2:53 PM, eleanora3 said:

I like this dress on Joy better than the one she picked out

Joy_Dresses26.png

Perhaps the summer style would have clashed with her fall themed spring wedding. . .

On 6/21/2017 at 7:35 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

I sat at her kitchen table - diagramming sentences!

Call me weird, but I loved diagramming sentences!  That may be why I am a bit of a grammar nerd  :thumbsup:

On 2017-6-21 at 2:40 PM, Million Children For Jesus said:

Cuckoo is on Netflix, but you can find the potato scene on YouTube. Type in "Cuckoo discovers the jacket potato" uploaded by Ben Wheeler. 

Spoiler Alert: There may or may not be a plotline involving a potato truck during season 1. You'll have to watch. 

Thanks!

We don't have Netflix, but I pretty much live on YouTube (the real stories channel alone is so shiny).

11 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Perhaps the summer style would have clashed with her fall themed spring wedding.

Would that be a "falling" wedding or a "sprall" wedding?

Found this picture on one of the musicians' fb page ( AtkinsonDuo) and the woman on the right  is Rachael Forsyth Tunstill, who I had previously found on fb. She is the flower girl's mother and I always thought she was Austin's aunt, but this picture makes her look like a sister. I wonder if she's Austin's dad's daughter from a previous marriage... that would be interesting 

IMG_1300.PNG

@VBOY9977 I don't think her inclusion in that picture suggests she is Austin's sister. More likely she's an extended family member who is very close with the family, my guess is a cousin based on her age. I have extended family members like that - I am as close to my two first cousins as though they were brothers. They are essentially members of my immediate family, along with their parents. They absolutely will be included in any family wedding pictures.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived