IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

Nothing earth shattering in this latest article about the lawsuit. It is, however, on the front page of yahoo feed so it is becoming more public. https://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/2058414/church-scientology-lawsuit-tom-cruise-john-travolta-celebs/ 

I chuckled when i read the italic part of the quote from he article said "The church is in crisis,” blogger Tony Ortega, who has been critical of Scientology in the past, told Us. " yeah...Tony is a bit critical of CO$... as in one of their biggest critics!  

Ortega posted this article yesterday about a girl that was kicked out and disconnected from her mom in 2015. https://tonyortega.org/2019/06/26/scientology-destroyed-her-family-but-this-former-sea-org-worker-has-a-surprise-ending/  Don't worry it is uplifting and hopeful.

The article makes me wonder, How do these  CO$ from other countries get here? How do they get through the immigration issues the USA is having? Or have the flow of foreign CO$ to the USA slowed because of Trump? The last question is rhetorical because CO$ is not a reliable source for such data. 

• Thank You 6

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Ortega posted this article yesterday about a girl that was kicked out and disconnected from her mom in 2015. https://tonyortega.org/2019/06/26/scientology-destroyed-her-family-but-this-former-sea-org-worker-has-a-surprise-ending/  Don't worry it is uplifting and hopeful.

The article makes me wonder, How do these  CO$ from other countries get here? How do they get through the immigration issues the USA is having? Or have the flow of foreign CO$ to the USA slowed because of Trump? The last question is rhetorical because CO$ is not a reliable source for such data. 

I'm so happy for her!!! Oh man finding out she has a dad and siblings and huge family, hopefully it helps her heal.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Nothing earth shattering in this latest article about the lawsuit. It is, however, on the front page of yahoo feed so it is becoming more public. https://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/2058414/church-scientology-lawsuit-tom-cruise-john-travolta-celebs/ 

I chuckled when i read the italic part of the quote from he article said "The church is in crisis,” blogger Tony Ortega, who has been critical of Scientology in the past, told Us. " yeah...Tony is a bit critical of CO$... as in one of their biggest critics!  

From what I've read, CO$ slips people in through some sort of religious visa. I guess it's like moving nuns around the world or something. Whatever it is, it is legal. But taking their passports once they get here isn't, AFAIK.

• Thank You 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just one of those random funny things that nails $cientology.  This is from a twitter thread about John McAfee being on the lam.

"What’s it called when the situation isn’t dystopian but the people are"

Next tweet: "Scientology" 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 6

?

This business with John McAfee is pretty much worthy of its own thread.

If anyone needs a crash course of McAfee (the man, not the crappy anti-virus program), Behind the Bastards did a couple of great episodes about him and his life.

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
wording
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Dateline and similar have done several episodes about him and he's been named  "a person of interest" in the mysterious slaying of 52-year-old Gregory Faull, a U.S. man who was McAfee’s neighbor two doors down from McAfee’s beachside compound.

As far as I can tell, he's a paranoiac scumbag and a nasty piece of work. 

The Coast Guard could take them out in a heartbeat and not break a sweat.  I'm starting to realize that there is some extremely serious badassery in the Coast Guard, and they deploy everywhere, not at all limited to the US Coast. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Yahoo entertainment just announced the series finale will run on A&E on Monday August 26, 9 pm. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leah-remini-scientology-aftermath-end-123629521.html 

I am sad it is the series finale. 

This is part of the article about the last show

...exploring stories about how Scientology’s allegedly harmful practices, including hindering “members from reporting instances of abuse and sexual assault to the authorities,” per a synopsis.

A team of legal, psychological, and law-enforcement experts will also appear on the program to provide insight on how ex-Scientology followers can seek justice and impact change in the future.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I just read her article. They'll even talk about Danny Masterson. And all the allegations. I do think she's got something better up her sleeve but doesn't want to give up her ace card. There's got to be a real reason why the show is ending. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Here is the other article that I think @OyToTheVey is referencing: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/leah-reminis-ending-her-scientology-201248706.html

I really hope Leah and crew do have an ace up their sleeve and more is to come to topple the horrible Church of Scientology. I really hope they are able to free the people at Gold Base and any other places being are being held.

Question - why haven't former employees sued CO$ for back wages? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I'm sad its ending but glad at least we have something to wrap it all up. Can't wait. It would be nice if they could do occasional specials at least. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is the night for the finale. I've got an alarm set for the program. Apparently Leah has a phase two of her campaign against $cientology which will begin in earnest once the program has ended. We haven't heard the last from her and Mike Rinder. 

[Trigger warning for link behind spoiler]

Edited by hoipolloi
Added alert for TW & spoiler tag
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I'm watching! I won't write anything until tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the future for Leah and Mike @SilverBeach

I'm watching too! Looking forward to your comments.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 2

Just a warning to anyone that is waiting to watch it, this episode could be a trigger.

Within the first 30 minutes they start talking about the lawsuit against Masterson (rape, sexual assault) and then goes into covert sexual abuse. 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Just a warning to anyone that is waiting to watch it, this episode could be a trigger.

Within the first 30 minutes they start talking about the lawsuit against Masterson (rape, sexual assault) and then goes into covert sexual abuse. 

Nasty shit. I'm a CSA survivor myself, but this covert sexual abuse is something else.  I don't see how Elizabeth Moss can remain brainwashed and star in THT. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

2 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Nasty shit. I'm a CSA survivor myself, but this covert sexual abuse is something else.  I don't see how Elizabeth Moss can remain brainwashed and star in THT. 

THT? 

I'm sorry you had to go through CSA. 

• I Agree 2

A couple thoughts about last night's episode:

1. I think once one of these lawsuits win, it will help all other lawsuits. One of the experts mentioned that when people do a civil suit all the auditing and notes, etc will have to be released in regards to the lawsuit. That could be BIG in bringing CO$ down.

2. Why hasn't anyone sued Church of Scientology for back wages? 

3. I wonder if FL and/or CA will pass a law like NY that allows sexual assault victims one year to bring charges no matter how long ago the crime was committed. 

• Upvote 6

I finally was able to read the link @SilverBeach posted above. (I have asked a mod to put a trigger warning on because it is graphic.) I do not understand what is taking the LA prosecutor's office so long to bring charges. How many in the LAPD and PA office are being paid off  by CO$? Or are higher ups telling the people under them to let these cases slide? 

There is another article by Tony Ortega after the show - Again the entire show was about the sexual abuse that happens in in Church of Scientology so be warned any of these articles could be triggeringhttps://tonyortega.org/2019/08/27/vote-for-the-most-startling-statement-on-the-scientology-and-the-aftermath-finale/ 

The above link is more of a synopsis of the show but it still has some shocking (possible triggering) items in the list. 

I think this quote sums up the problem the FBI is having with CO$, this was said by retired FBI agent Jim Ellis:

Scientology has created such an insulated community, and I don’t think law enforcement can really fathom what goes on in there.

I think this quote goes the same for Gothard and many other "churches". I think CO$ is so difficult because so many people have been raised in it and they don't know any different. 

• Upvote 3

I only got to watch an hour last night, so I still need to finish it. I'm kinda sad it's over. I hope there will be a lot more to be able to follow in the media soon. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

A couple thoughts about last night's episode:

1. I think once one of these lawsuits win, it will help all other lawsuits. One of the experts mentioned that when people do a civil suit all the auditing and notes, etc will have to be released in regards to the lawsuit. That could be BIG in bringing CO$ down.

3. I wonder if FL and/or CA will pass a law like NY that allows sexual assault victims one year to bring charges no matter how long ago the crime was committed. 

I don't quite understand your number three. One year from when?

The threat of releasing the audit notes is part of the problem, as people are coerced into revealing their deepest, darkest secrets. It a method of control and used to blackmail people.

The biggest thing that could bring the CO$ down is revocation of its status as a church. 

I laugh at how, during and after each episode, the "church" categorically denies everything, meaning that all critics are just out to get them. It would look better if they just didn't respond, because where there is smoke, there is fire. No way everybody would be a dissgruntled, angry, former members whose experiences are all without merit. 

With respect to CSA, CO$ is the worst, hell, with respect to SA period. All the victim blaming, karmic bullshit lobbed at victims. L Ron Hubbard was a complete nut case. CO$ celebrities are the worst also. They are insulated from the most heinous abuses so they deny abuse exist. Many born-ins came to recognize the abuse and got out. 

9 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

How many in the LAPD and PA office are being paid off  by CO$?

Lots. Just like in Clearwater.

BTW, Tony Ortega's site has an extensive collection of $cientology articles.

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 6

12 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

They are paid so little because for the most part, they are "volunteers".  That's how they're categorized at least and they sign a contract that says as much.  The Sea Org'ers are given a place to live (barracks), and food to eat (mostly beans and rice), uniforms to wear, etc., so apparently that justifies pennies on the hour?  If there's a loophole in the law, their hoards of lawyers will find it.  :(  
I would think US labor laws would apply, but what do I know?  I've been watching this with my own eyes for far too long and it tends to give you a feeling of hopelessness.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

37 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I don't quite understand your number three. One year from when?

I believe, from when the bill was signed. This is just what I remember from the news. 

• Thank You 1

Ugh. I'm so disgusted. I used to have a crush on Danny Masterson. I was not looking forward to this particular mental purge. Heave ho.

:brain-bleach::puke-front:

And yeah, seriously Elizabeth Moss?! What the fuck...She would make a such a huge impact if she left. Big as Cruise in a different way. But I'm sure her family is still in and there is the usual mess involved there.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

36 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Ugh. I'm so disgusted. I used to have a crush on Danny Masterson. 

He was my favorite on That 70s show and then (several years ago) I found out he is CO$ and instantly disliked him and then the victims came out a few years ago and then I was sick.

After learning so much about CO$, I really can't watch actors that I know are CO$ onto their colleagues. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic