IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

14 hours ago, DaisyD said:

Look up Operation Snow White. Basically they were such a huge pain in the ass, even suing individual IRS employees that the IRS caved.

Yeah I read about that.  The IRS could have kept changing employees or kept their identities private, or something. They didn'y have to cave in to this disgusting abuse.

16 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

My Mom became a hospice patient last week

I'm so sorry, sending best wishes my way. Lost my mom almost a year ago now,

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 4

22 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Oh lort!  Do I even want to watch last night's episode?  I DVR'd again.  This is my life, and I was in this county long before they were!  I do appreciate that nationally people are getting as angry as we've been here for decades.  After so long, you just feel defeated.  I've made up my mind to move when I'm able.

@Palimpsest  A belated thank you for finding the drone footage that I could not.
My Mom became a hospice patient last week and I've been busy to say the least and missing FJ.    

@quiversR4hunting  If you ever make it here and want a tour, let me know!  Or anyone else for that matter.  I'll even show you Kirstie's house & grocery store she shops at.  ;)  

Since you are a local, I suggest you watch- it is an interview with 3 people that have fought CO$ and told of the former mayor that tried and tried to reign in CO$ in your town. I was glad to see people did fight and maybe people will watch it and try fighting again. 

The part of the episode that really got me, as I mentioned before, was the part where they showed downtown. It made me sad. It looks all nice but just as vacant as a dying old town with empty store fronts. 

We were in Florida last year for a couple days, I don't know when we will get back down. I would totally take you up on the offer for a tour but you don't have to worry, it won't be for a few years. ;) That should give me enough time to explain to my SO that I am meeting Tim-Tom that I know from the crazy forum I am always reading. :D

I am very sorry about your mother. I hope you are able to spend some time with her before she passes. Virtual hugs :hug:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Since you are a local, I suggest you watch- it is an interview with 3 people that have fought CO$ and told of the former mayor that tried and tried to reign in CO$ in your town. I was glad to see people did fight and maybe people will watch it and try fighting again. 

The part of the episode that really got me, as I mentioned before, was the part where they showed downtown. It made me sad. It looks all nice but just as vacant as a dying old town with empty store fronts. 

We were in Florida last year for a couple days, I don't know when we will get back down. I would totally take you up on the offer for a tour but you don't have to worry, it won't be for a few years. ;) That should give me enough time to explain to my SO that I am meeting Tim-Tom that I know from the crazy forum I am always reading. :D

I am very sorry about your mother. I hope you are able to spend some time with her before she passes. Virtual hugs :hug:

I watched!  And I guess there's a part II next week.
I know one of the people on the show (Mark Bunker) and am aware of Dennis deVlaming as he's tried a lot of big cases here over the years.

Bunker lives less than a mile from me and right across the street from one of their berthing complexes.  Interesting story...they keep the hedges trimmed in such a way so that he can't see across the street into their windows.  The hedges are always neatly trimmed except for a 10-12 foot spot where they let them grow out of control.  I laugh every time I pass by.

There's a wee chance I could get a glimpse of myself next week since it looks like they're going to show protests & the LMT.  I was involved in that from the late 90's to the mid 2000's.  Now I'm getting too old and it's too hot most of the year.  And you obviously can't drive your own car to and from, so transportation is a pain.

I was kind of aghast at the downtown video myself.  In the past 2 years it's been pretty dead (or more so than usual), but I've never seen it THAT dead.  I usually see people in the streets when I venture that way, but it's definitely not what you would call bustling.  Seeing Sea-Orgers running around in droves isn't the case anymore either.  And they keep the shades pulled on all of their buildings.  All of that just since Leah's show began.

Mom's home and receiving hospice care.  I've moved in for the time being (she's in Largo).  I'm all she's got and vice versa so it's been really tough.  But hospice has been a god-send (at least emotionally).  Thank you for the hugs and @SilverBeach for your kind words.

Sorry this post is so long, but when I get started on the "church" I can't stop.  It's infuriating, isn't it?  Tonight Mom said "I don't know what makes my blood pressure worse...Trump or Scientology".   :D     

Edited by Tim-Tom Biblethumper
feet - it's relevant
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 21

6 hours ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

Sorry this post is so long, but when I get started on the "church" I can't stop.  It's infuriating, isn't it?  Tonight Mom said "I don't know what makes my blood pressure worse...Trump or Scientology".   :D     

Don't be sorry. I love the perspective from a local. 

And I love your mom! Trump & CO$ is blood pressure rising!!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

On 1/23/2019 at 11:42 PM, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

My Mom became a hospice patient last week and I've been busy to say the least and missing FJ.

I'm so sorry.  That is so hard.  My thoughts are with you.  We have found hospice care very helpful for all family members in the past.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

Hospice was indeed so very helpful to me as I faced the end of my mother's life. She was 91, but it was so hard let her go. Hospice workers are angels. I love that hospice can be in a facility or at home. The entire family receives care. The support continues after death. Can't speak highly enough of hospice.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 16

In Pt 2, around 9 minutes in, Leah talks about how the church gets parishioners to not read newspapers. It reminded me of Steve Maxwell!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, nomoxian said:

In Pt 2, around 9 minutes in, Leah talks about how the church gets parishioners to not read newspapers. It reminded me of Steve Maxwell!

OH! I need to re-watch the beginning. See I am living under the polar vortex and well the kids and I have been home for days together and they seem not to know what "mom really wants to watch this, please be quiet" means. But I have seen 2 episodes of "All about the Washingtons" twice and Bunk'ed episodes 5 times same with "Jesse" and "The Loud House" -ugh! But I digress...

Part 2 was really good. I don't know anything about injunctions - can the be reversed? The park they were sitting at was not CO$ property 20 years ago but CO$ is using the Clearwater police as pawns. So what will it take for the Clearwater police to see they are being played? Also the walk in front of all the buildings was good to show that (again) nobody was in the buildings (sans one, it showed 1 person at the lobby desk). @Tim-Tom Biblethumper I was thinking of you when watching the show and wondering how all of you locals will ever get your town back! 

@nomoxian did you see the preview for next week? I missed that too. I think tomorrow I need to lock myself in my room and watch non-kid shows tomorrow :D

• Upvote 4

It almost seems like to me that cults operate out of the same playbook.  Among other things, they tell members not to read certain things and they demonize people who leave.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, nomoxian said:

In my neck of the woods, they buy up all the papers within a 2 or 3 mile radius if there's a negative article about them.

I heard the above from grocery store and convenience store employees while in search of papers at various times. 
The business will restock the papers, but they just buy them all again, so they figure "What's the use?"  They also empty the machines on the street corners.  :(  

• WTF 5

36 minutes ago, fransalley said:

It almost seems like to me that cults operate out of the same playbook.  Among other things, they tell members not to read certain things and they demonize people who leave.

yeah but with CO$ with Clearwater and Gold Base they are controlling a town or trying to keep a utopia (gold base). So the CO$ has gone to the next (or last?) level of a cult- the one where they control or try to control the town or compound (Short Creek, Jonestown, WBC or Branch Davidians or Heaven's Gate).  

• I Agree 4

This episode made so much sense to me. I was actually in Clearwater about 10 years ago, while my mom had CE classes. I was driving around trying to find lunch and everything I yelped came up empty lots and closed stores. It was before I knew too much about Scientology. But even 10+ years ago the downtown area was a ghost town. I couldn't understand why the streets were so empty. It clicked so hard when I watched the episode. It's such a pretty town, right on the water. I always figured towns like that would have strollers, and just people hanging out. None there was no one out. Very strange feeling.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Empty town, empty "religion".

What happened to Lisa McPherson was tragic. Why the refusal to get medical help for someone who obviously badly needs it? She was murdered.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Did someone mention they were covering the Danny Masterson assault in an upcoming episode? That would be interesting. I’m sure that’s all sorts of legal messy. hope they are planning more celebrity related episodes.

Frankly, any star wattage helps their cause. Good ones with nothing to hide and bad ones who are clearly being protected. I would love for Elizabeth Moss to have a lightbulb moment one day.

....I kinda have a crush on Mike Rinder. Wouldn’t want to date an ex-Scientologist. He’s quite dapper and I like his accent. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

Empty town, empty "religion".

What happened to Lisa McPherson was tragic. Why the refusal to get medical help for someone who obviously badly needs it? She was murdered.

She WAS murdered.  I remember the rage I felt when the medical examiner changed her death to "accidental".

She was originally checked out of the hospital for "religious reasons".  She was in the psych-ward and they don't believe in psychiatry.  They also signed something stating they would take care of her, which they did not.

When she was near death, instead of going to Morton Plant Hospital (you could walk it in 10 minutes), they transported her in one of their passenger vans to a hospital in New Port Richey because the ER doc on duty was a scientologist.  They bypassed 3 or 4 other hospitals to go there, and on arrival she was DOA.

They didn't get her medical treatment because it would reflect badly on them and their religion.  Initially when they put her in that room it was to cover up that their tech doesn't work (she had been declared Clear by Miscavige himself a couple months earlier).  Can't have anyone knowing that a Clear was walking around downtown naked due to a psychotic break.

Then it became about covering up all the damage they did in that 17 days.  

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 5
  • Love 2

On 1/26/2019 at 11:37 AM, SilverBeach said:

Hospice was indeed so very helpful to me as I faced the end of my mother's life. She was 91, but it was so hard let her go. Hospice workers are angels. I love that hospice can be in a facility or at home. The entire family receives care. The support continues after death. Can't speak highly enough of hospice.

My mother spent the last few days of her life in a hospice center.  I visited her there and they seemed to be taking good care of her.

(I think it may have been the same center where Teri Schiavo died.)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 6

On 1/31/2019 at 3:11 AM, quiversR4hunting said:

did you see the preview for next week? I missed that too. I think tomorrow I need to lock myself in my room and watch non-kid shows tomorrow :D

Not sure, but according to the official site, it is the season finale. 

12 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Did someone mention they were covering the Danny Masterson assault in an upcoming episode? That would be interesting. I’m sure that’s all sorts of legal messy. hope they are planning more celebrity related episodes.

I mentioned that but I haven't seen it on previews since I read it or heard it. and my work is locking down all sorts of websites so I can't link on @nomoxian's link above nor search for any of this :( and I won't have time this weekend, we have birthdays overload this weekend! :)

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

@Tim-Tom Biblethumper not sure if you've read Mike Rinder's blog entry, but apparently the Clearwater episode had "transmission issues" locally? Did you have that happen as well?

Hahahaha
I'm laughing because weird shit like that happens a lot here.  I always wonder if it's THEM. <cue creepy music>

We had no reception problems.  But I'm staying with my Mom right now 7 miles away in Largo.  So that could be a factor.

ETA:  So strange that the On Demand episodes disappeared too.  And he mentioned the disappearing newspapers that I just wrote about.  :)  

Does anyone in the SE US really LOVE where they live?  I'm seriously considering relocating when I'm able.  

Edited by Tim-Tom Biblethumper
read the article, so had to add
  • Haha 4

@quiversR4hunting

I added a screenshot :) I can't access the site either unless I use a proxy. It reroutes me to the German A&E website otherwise, and I don't think this show airs on that version.

1.png

• Thank You 1

I watched the episode last night. Season Finale, is way too soon!!! I want a lot more episodes. 

So in this episode they interviewed an IRS tax exempt expert and a police detective that once was in a cult. They went through a condensed version of how CO$ got tax exempt. The expert explained that the IRS doesn't say they are or aren't a church but explained how an entity earns tax exempt. His example was an entity doing charity work but making a ton of money off from books (he used animal rescue as an example- I immediately thought of Gwen Shamblin) well since they do a little charity (finding pets homes) they are mostly a business selling books, so they wouldn't qualify. His example also sounded exactly what CO$ is doing with making everyone buy the books and the sessions, etc. 

Leah said that they reached out to the IRS agents targeted by the CO$ back in the day and that agent refused to go on camera because he still makes 3 or 4 right turns to see if he is followed, this is 25 years after he was harassed. CO$ is a flat out abusive cult. They don't care about who they are hurting. 

Leah also said that it was extremely difficult to get a police officer or detective to come talk to them on camera. I hope the detective that agreed to the interview is not punished or she is close to retirement. 

The police detective explained why police don't get involved. It boiled down to police aren't trained to see signs of brainwashing and some are still stuck in the mindset that the person is an adult and it is their fault for being in the predicament (same attitude exists by some people against domestic abuse situations). 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

That was such a good episode. They focused on explaining the tax-exempt element very clearly. It backed up everything else they have presented. The abuse, the intimidation, the spending. Please let someone listen.

And this series deserves some sort of award, it really does. There’s not a lot of worthwhile investigative programming. Or reality programming. Or exposure programming. Really, fight back programming is what they are doing because they always start with those updated letters of response from “The Church.”

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Inky said:

Keep watching for upcoming episodes - they may have some special episodes that aren't part of the regular season.

I wish the specials were on the DVD - I can't access the programs here via whichever pay tv mob has them so we've been watching the DVDs. Incidentally this is one reason why I eye rolled at the assertion that this program, Mike Rinder and Leah Remini were responsible for the stabbing in Sydney - most people here haven't heard of the program, and it's actually not particularly available in large parts of the country so I'm not sure how it's supposed to be influencing anything!

• Upvote 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic