IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath 2

DaisyD

11 hours ago, DnAismyBaE said:

I really liked Catherine Bell in army wives. I used to watch it when I was married to an army man many moons ago. I've searched online which celebrities are into Scientology and some are pretty surprising 

At one point in last night's interview they had clips from Danny Masterson & Laura Prepon. At the end of the show last night they didn't name celebrities but showed pictures of celebrities on the red carpet, indicating they are CO$. here is a 2015 list of celebrities in CO$ from Andy Cush of Gawker. http://gawker.com/a-comprehensive-updated-list-of-every-celebrity-linked-1694554276

Many of these people seem to support LGBTQ rights, it surprises me they stay in a church that prompts basically "pray  audit away gay" camps. I know they don't pray like the fundies but it is the closest thing I can think of to their policy on gays.

Edit - I guess it would be called "audit away the gay"

Edited by quiversR4hunting
audit instead of pray
  • Upvote 8

So I watched last nights episode and all I can say is:

Shots. Fired.

They did not hold back on the celebrities at all. Does anyone have any information on how the named/shown celebrities have responded, if at all?

• Upvote 6

Question about Leah's mom. (I just caught the round table & Brousseau episodes on DVR)

When Leah read the "reveal" about Xenu & the volcano, and she mouthed "what the FUCK" to her mom and her mom smiled insincerely and said, "isn't it WONDERFUL!" -- did her mom say that she was hoping Leah would chuck it all right there?

I thought that was her reasoning but then IIRC she talked about how AFTER that she continued to take auditing, with Leah footing the bill. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Question about Leah's mom. ....

When Leah read the "reveal" about Xenu & the volcano, and she mouthed "what the FUCK" to her mom and her mom smiled insincerely and said, "isn't it WONDERFUL!" -- did her mom say that she was hoping Leah would chuck it all right there?

Answering my own question. I rewatched and it sounds as though the mom was there to keep Leah from bolting. 

Just watched the one with the Gale Family. I wish Leah & other mega-rich ex-$cienos would form a corporation and buy the acreage from the old bat, then negotiate a deal with Liz and her husband. 

$cientology kills people while they live -- evidence: Mrs. Gale. Reprehensible. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Hufflepuffpride said:

So I watched last nights episode and all I can say is:

Shots. Fired.

They did not hold back on the celebrities at all. Does anyone have any information on how the named/shown celebrities have responded, if at all?

Yes but interesting that in the same episode discussing homophobia in the corporation, they avoided the rumor that Travolta only remains in CO$ because they're essentially blackmailing him with secrets including possibly still being in the closet. That and the rumors that CO$ has essentially arranged girlfriends/marriages for Tom Cruise. See http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-cruises-secret-scientology-girlfriend-nazanin-boniadi-2015-3

The only celebrity response I've seen is Jada Pinkett Smith denying she's a Scientologist.

• Upvote 4

On 9/22/2017 at 7:54 AM, freethemall said:

Yes but interesting that in the same episode discussing homophobia in the corporation, they avoided the rumor that Travolta only remains in CO$ because they're essentially blackmailing him with secrets including possibly still being in the closet. 

Wouldn't the only people able to really address the rumors around John Travolta's sexuality be Travolta himself and his auditors? The show takes pains to discuss matters that the participants themselves have personally witnessed or experienced, and if no one has with regard to Travolta, it's probably better not to go there, if only for legal reasons.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

That's it right there. Saying something like that, essentially outing Travolta, besides that outing someone is a shitty thing to do, would open Leah, Mike and the producers up to lawsuits from at the least, Travolta himself, if not the CO$, who are known for being highly litigious and don't ever need much of a reason to go after someone. Even if Leah and the team did lawyer up, and they can't Fair Game Leah and Mike anymore than they already have, they could Fair Game their legal representatives, which would be enough to make the slimiest lawyers go 'Fuck this shit, I'm out'

• Upvote 6

Part of me wants to just piss off people like Danny and Lauren, and tell them I'm an SP. Everything about this cult and these people piss me off. I love Leah for exposing this shit. 

I read an interview with Masterson and I can't even describe what a d-bag he sounds like when talking about Scientology. This cult and those who are so dedicated to it need to be exposed for what it is.

I feel bad for the real people who get involved and end up not seeing their children for more than half an hour every week. I was shocked when I watched a clip about Jenna Miscaviage, and how she was subjected to this same treatment, despite being the niece of David Miscaviage. So even people high up on the food chain as the Miscaviage family are subjected to this (being separated and living away from children), but famous people are not? So wrong. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, unholypoledancer said:

Part of me wants to just piss off people like Danny and Lauren, and tell them I'm an SP. Everything about this cult and these people piss me off. I love Leah for exposing this shit. 

I read an interview with Masterson and I can't even describe what a d-bag he sounds like when talking about Scientology. This cult and those who are so dedicated to it need to be exposed for what it is.

I feel bad for the real people who get involved and end up not seeing their children for more than half an hour every week. I was shocked when I watched a clip about Jenna Miscaviage, and how she was subjected to this same treatment, despite being the niece of David Miscaviage. So even people high up on the food chain as the Miscaviage family are subjected to this (being separated and living away from children), but famous people are not? So wrong. 

I loathe Danny Masteron. He is on the extreme Scientology defender level that Kirstie Alley, TC, and Jenna Elfman are on. In a way, I try to have some sympathy for Danny and his siblings as they were born into and raised in the cult. But, it's difficult given how much he defends COS and doesn't acknowledge the abuses that COS has inflicted on many people.

I read Jenna Miscaviage's book when it was first released. It was quite depressing for me and I stopped following anti-Scientology news for awhile.

• Upvote 7

$cientology is using Rathbun to smear Haggis after the latest episode.  Marty is so far back in again he is up his own rear.

But Paul fights back.  Hold on to your hats, folks.  https://tonyortega.org/2017/09/23/director-paul-haggis-pens-an-open-letter-to-marty-rathbun-after-scientologys-latest-smear/#more-42646

23 hours ago, applejack said:

Even if Leah and the team did lawyer up, and they can't Fair Game Leah and Mike anymore than they already have, they could Fair Game their legal representatives, which would be enough to make the slimiest lawyers go 'Fuck this shit, I'm out'

Leah, Rinder, and A&E are lawyered up to the back teeth already.  I'm sure their legal reps knew what they were getting into with this series.  I'm equally sure every episode is gone over with a fine toothcomb and the risks and benefits weighed carefully.  

I don't think Fair Game works anymore.  It may sting to have $cientology sling mud at you but I think prevailing opinion these days is that the Church is lying.

I think Haggis put it very well when he said these people used to be his friends but he couldn't stand seeing them lie through their teeth any longer.  I think the montage was carefully chosen

It would be shitty to out Travolta, but the rumors have been around forever.

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused-the new season starts tomorrow, right? Or did we watch a few new episodes this fall and then get a brief break? Either way, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night.

• Upvote 2

I haven't been keeping up with this thread-  just popping in to say I just re-watched 'My Scientology Movie' by Louis Theroux.  It's as good as I remembered.  It's on Netflix.

An interesting take on Marty Rathbun.  Sorry if it's been mentioned before. 

• Upvote 2

Watch this yesterday. Had to turn it off when they described the sexual abuse. The mom actually told her daughter not to report her father molesting her. Parents give up their kids for this shit? A victim told a sea org member she was being abused by a teacher they punished her. WYF. Why do people join this shit? How is this legal? And I hope Leah isn't killed. If she is we'll know who did it 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Watch this yesterday. Had to turn it off when they described the sexual abuse. The mom actually told her daughter not to report her father molesting her. Parents give up their kids for this shit? A victim told a sea org member she was being abused by a teacher they punished her. WYF. Why do people join this shit? How is this legal? And I hope Leah isn't killed. If she is we'll know who did it 

As I mentioned upthread, most high demand religious groups promise you a supportive community and a happy family (eg Gothardism, haredi Jews, salafi Islam). Those groups that are more apocalyptic or world renouncing promise a special place in heaven or some similar place if you join (JWs, Branch Davidians, Heaven’s Gate). Scientology doesn’t promise either of these things, although you are promised special powers and possibly godhood. However, I read on the Underground Bunker that once you finally get OT VIII (which can take 25+) you’re essentially told that you have to go back to the beginning and do everything over, making you no better than when you first joined. This past weekend, the Underground Bunker had a sad story and video about a woman who reached OT VIII and was convinced she really had superpowers. Then she ended up getting MS (but not after being sent to useless Scientology chiropractors who probably made her worse) and died broken and alone, abandoned as an embarrassment by her former church and co-religionists:

https://tonyortega.org/2017/10/05/never-before-seen-video-of-a-woman-moments-after-achieving-superhuman-scientology-powers/

It’s so sad that you can’t even snark at the video. I suppose that there was nothing that could be done about the MS, but if she hadn’t been involved in Scientology, at least she might have have a better support system and access to better healthcare and end of life care.

• Upvote 3

Last night's episode really unexpectedly messed with me. I was quite a troublemaker as a teenager (an actual troublemaker, not just a kid who didn't want to follow my parent's religion). My very desperate parents sent me to a boarding school/treatment program. The description of the camp these kids went to had some similarities to the program I went to (having to clean everything to very high standards, kids working in the kitchen, stuff like that, not the starvation and hard labor though). The very key differences being things like most families that pulled their kids out early did so because the program involved everyone in the family taking responsibility for their part in the family dynamics. A number of parents didn't want to hear that their kid's issues were a symptom of a deeper problem. There was a moment where they finally got through to me that I even had a problem and I was overcome with guilt at the idea that I had completely ruined my family. If I had been at the $ci program the response would have been "You're right". I can't even imagine that. The point of all of these programs is supposed to be to break you down to build you back up in a healthier way. These poor kids were broken down and just left that way. It's just so fucked up.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

The descriptions of the punishments at those ranches had a creepy sexual undertone to them, similar to what I have read about discipline in Irish industrial schools and in English boarding schools, where ostensibly religious adults seemed to take a perverse pleasure in inflicting pain on naked or semi-naked children. Every time I think I’ve heard it all with regard to Scientology, it always seems like there are new lows to be had. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The descriptions of the punishments at those ranches had a creepy sexual undertone to them, similar to what I have read about discipline in Irish industrial schools and in English boarding schools, where ostensibly religious adults seemed to take a perverse pleasure in inflicting pain on naked or semi-naked children. Every time I think I’ve heard it all with regard to Scientology, it always seems like there are new lows to be had. 

The wire brush could have easily flayed the skin off an adult, much less a child. “Evil” is the only word. 

• Upvote 7

I feel I must add that punishment where I went involved taking away privileges and essay writing. The physical punishment was just so awful. 

• Upvote 2

Just watched last nights episode.

Co$ is another example why private "schools" need accountability to a neutral third party that they are actually teaching kids real education.

I have no words about the abuse at these "camps" and the parents that sent the kids to them. 

I don't understand why the authorities can't shut all these down after everything Leah and Mike are exposing.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Last night’s episode was the saddest thing.  Those poor kids....The parents should be charged with child abuse as well as the fools running the place. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic