IGNORED

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Bethella

Sheesh, I’d even already read that, and still managed to completely forget. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:39 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Have they still not been ground? If so, who the hell is helping them? Cult followers? Ugh.

Re:  Torin and Rena Smith. 

EDIT: THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO IS FROM 2019 featuring the guy who bonded Rena out of jail, and he's looking hard for them.  In the youtube video, he seems confident he's close to finding them, but it's over two years, they are still on the run.  

I'd suspect they are being sheltered somewhere in the country by other fundamentalists/relatives and, never going into whatever town they are near. 

Florissant is (very roughly)  between Colorado Springs and Buena Vista, northwest of Pike's Peak.  Lots of valleys, woods, and nooks and crannies to hide away. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:39 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Have they still not been ground? If so, who the hell is helping them? Cult followers? Ugh.

I suspect they aren't looking very hard for them. I don't know that they are well connected, but maybe someone is helping them.

11 hours ago, Howl said:

Re:  Torin and Rena Smith. 

EDIT: THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO IS FROM 2019 featuring the guy who bonded Rena out of jail, and he's looking hard for them.  In the youtube video, he seems confident he's close to finding them, but it's over two years, they are still on the run.  

I'd suspect they are being sheltered somewhere in the country by other fundamentalists/relatives and, never going into whatever town they are near. 

Florissant is (very roughly)  between Colorado Springs and Buena Vista, northwest of Pike's Peak.  Lots of valleys, woods, and nooks and crannies to hide away. 

Evidently, he is an experienced survivalist so......

I check every couple of months to see what is up and even did some social media creeping on the family. I'm surprised no one has encountered them yet.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

Evidently, he is an experienced survivalist so......

Ah, interesting.  The bondsman in the video noted that Torin had made an error and left a paper trail, but apparently that didn't pan out.  If he's a survivalist, I doubt they'd do the "hide in plain sight in a major metropolis" route, but are tucked away in a cabin somewhere.  I can't see how they'd do this without major assistance and doing everything under the table; they can't use credit cards, have regular jobs, any of that.  That said, people in the country are kind of nosy and really know who their neighbors are and what they're up to, so it would be harder to hide than one might think. 

• Upvote 3

It's like when a lot of money is never enough money, so you lie, cheat and steal to get more from desperate people.  Despicable, but at least he's going to prison for selling worthless Chinese bonds and then keeping people on the line and telling them to be "faithful" that the bonds would be profitable. 

Former Houston megachurch pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell reports to prison for 6-year sentence

• Thank You 5

On 7/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, Howl said:

This is very grim, what a damn mess:

Surprise, surprise, she is (or was) a leader in the the local homeschooling community. 

Accusations of multiple victims on the husband's part. 

I watched the show they were featured on. I believe two daughters were victimized as well as at least one family friend. What a despicable couple. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

I watched the show they were featured on.

Just looked it up: 

Wednesday’s episode of "In Pursuit with John Walsh," airing on March 18 [2020] at 8 p.m. on Investigation Discovery, profiles the case of Colorado fugitives, Torin and Rena Smith.

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

19 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

I watched the show they were featured on. I believe two daughters were victimized as well as at least one family friend. What a despicable couple. 

I just watched it. It was all 3 daughters and a family friend. And Rena knew and had told the girls not to tell anyone! I'm sick. Yep, that was my college roommate.

• Sad 5

29 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

I just watched it. It was all 3 daughters and a family friend. And Rena knew and had told the girls not to tell anyone! I'm sick. Yep, that was my college roommate.

I honestly can’t believe that she just went along with it - and helped her husband escape! I can’t imagine having that reaction to someone who hurt your children in such a deep way. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

It was all 3 daughters and a family friend.

Were the daughters still minors when Rena and Torin fled?  If so, what happened to the kids?  Did other family take them in?

This is sounding worse and worse, if possible. 

Edited by Howl

On 7/20/2021 at 7:50 AM, closetcagebaby said:

I honestly can’t believe that she just went along with it - and helped her husband escape! I can’t imagine having that reaction to someone who hurt your children in such a deep way. 

The ATI/IBLP and other similar movements preach that husbands come first. In the evenings, you are supposed to sit on the sofa with your husband and ignore the kids. She was present when the kids were removed. She knew about the abuse and told them never to tell anyone.

If this happened to me, I would be desperate to regain my children. I can't fathom her actions.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:22 AM, Howl said:

Were the daughters still minors when Rena and Torin fled?  If so, what happened to the kids?  Did other family take them in?

This is sounding worse and worse, if possible. 

Two daughters were minors when they were removed. They were placed with family friends. The video implied that they were probably close to Florissant because that's where the kids are. But, I'm doubtful. They have not done a single thing to regain custody of the kids.

The oldest daughter walked into the police station to make a report when she turned 18. It sounds like Rena knew the daughter was going to do this and tried to get her to not to report the crime. The older daughter's best friend had also been molested and made a report, too. The younger kids admitted to abuse when the authorities showed up.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9

On 7/22/2021 at 10:36 PM, Howl said:

The irresistible lure of GRINDR. 

This makes me angry. I've heard about this. Other people are not happy that this was dug up! But I'm so sick and tired of this Church playing f***ing political games. The church deserves everything it gets for being so flipping partisan.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, the youth minister strikes again: 18 arrested, including pastor, in Middle Tennessee human trafficking operation, TBI says  "Investigators were hoping to identify and recover possible victims of sex trafficking and sought to identify those seeking sexual acts with minors."

Spoiler

One of those arrested includes Matthew Brewer, who is listed online as a pastor in Centerville...Brewer is a chaplain and major in the Tennessee National Guard.

He's charged with Solicitation of a Minor. 

Fairfield Baptist Church released the following statement:

"Our Fairfield Baptist Church family was shocked and saddened with the situation this past weekend involving our youth minister.

The church, of course, covered their ass, asked for prayers for the Brewer fam, but did not address sex abuse of minors or open an avenue for congregants to come forward if they suspected that Brewer was sexually molesting children in the congregation. 

• Thank You 8

Oh my gosh, y'all, how did we miss this? Kent Hovind, controversial creationist preacher known as ‘Dr. Dino,’ arrested in domestic assault case. 

In late 2020, he sent his wife to the ER by body slamming her into a wall, then sent an underling to threaten her and trash her rental; his actual arrest on domestic assault charges took place last week. 

Hovind, if y'all will recall,  "spent nine years in federal prison on financial-related offenses, including structuring bank withdrawals and failing to file tax returns."

• Sad 1
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:36 PM, Howl said:

The irresistible lure of GRINDR. 

I'd have an ounce of respect for these clowns if they'd just quit pretending, quit the clergy and GO. BE. GAY.  

But no, they think they're god's special snowflakes, so special that they can have boy toys on the side while bloviating about other people's holiness, and never get caught.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7

Dave Grohl and the Foos Fighters vs the ever “popular” WBC.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

This just popped up on Facebook, courtesy of the Examining Doug Wilson and Moscow, ID fb page: 

Voddie Baucham’s friend Stephen Bratton (who took over pastoring at Baucham’s former church in Houston, TX and occasionally ran Baucham’s social media) has been arrested and sentenced to a 17 year prison sentence for child molestation.

Link to article on the Julie Roys website: After Colleagues Turned Him In, Pastor Sentenced to 17 Years for Molesting A Child

Commentary on the fb page: 

I was extremely gratified to read that this pastor was *immediately* turned in to civil authorities by his church colleagues, and is now serving a prison sentence.

This is how predatory child sexual abuse should be handled. No covering up, no second chances, no warning the perpetrator that he’ll really be in trouble if he does it again. No. Act now, and let the civil authorities, who have been instituted by God for our protection, handle it.

Will cross post to the Voddie Baucham thread. 

Edited by Howl
  • Thank You 5

Apparently Betsy (Bradrick) Barth's husband Andy is out of prison now and they live in Sulphur Springs.  For those who forgot, he was convicted of sexually molesting a 9yo (never found out whether it was one of his own kids or not).  He is a lifetime registered sex offender and has to report quarterly.  I hope for their kids' sake he toes the line.

• Upvote 10

58 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

Apparently Betsy (Bradrick) Barth's husband Andy is out of prison now and they live in Sulphur Springs.

Do you know how long he was in prison?

I'm thinking Bratton's 17 year sentence  for child molestation is a very long stretch in the slammer. 

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Do you know how long he was in prison?

I think it was 10 years, or close to that.

ETA: I personally think sexually assaulting a child should have a 20 year MINIMUM, so that no matter what age the child was they will be well into adulthood when the perpetrator gets out.

I have seen East TX cases where the perpetrator got 30+ years, which I applaud.  

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic