IGNORED

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Bethella

Katie and her husband are in for a wild ride. The journey from happily ensconced in evangelical reformed theology, including working for The Gospel Coalition, to standing up for the truth of what happened to her and becoming yet another shunned scapegoat, is going to be very painful.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Jasmar said:

to standing up for the truth of what happened to her and becoming yet another shunned scapegoat, is going to be very painful.

Sadly, You are correct and the outcome is predictable. At least they are aware of GRACE and have a way to frame what happened. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

One of the cases where the term sodomy was used was that of a father abusing his daughter. I wonder if they used the more specific term to try to stop the way some people minimize sexual abuse and assault. I don't know.
It's my understanding that the term sodomy is used to identify a sexual act that isn't "natural"... As in, male on male, or oral, etc.

The term "natural" being an archaic term that is still on the states' statues.

Sodomy can be rape. And rape can be sodomy. But specifically saying "sodomy" is to denote a set of specific acts.

So in a father/daughter situation - he did something to her that wasn't p in v.

I have an extended family member that was convicted of a sodomy charge.
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, myusername said:

It's my understanding that the term sodomy is used to identify a sexual act that isn't "natural"... As in, male on male, or oral, etc.

I don't know about legal definitions, but colloquially, many people use the word "sodomy" interchangeably with "anal sex". Beyond that, I have no other ideas. Sorry.

• Upvote 2

Baptist scumbaggery!

Paige Patterson was fired as president of Southwestern Theological Seminary three years ago for gross mishandling of student rape allegations at the seminary. 

A new report released by the Seminary's board a few days ago accuses Patterson of stealing numerous items when he and his wife decamped from the campus residence, at least one painting, taxidermy (ewwww) but there was much more serious skullduggery afoot! 

Patterson stole donor lists and other information.  The report says "the Pattersons used that confidential list of all donors to the school and “undertook a scheme” to “contact Seminary donors to divert donations and gifts away from the Seminary.  After being fired, SWBTS adds, the Pattersons convinced the donors [of 5 million dollars] to “revoke their substantial gift and to instead donate those funds to Sandy Creek Foundation,” which is the Pattersons’ personal nonprofit. SWBTS adds that the foundation purchased a “roughly $1 million home” in August 2018 for the Pattersons apparently “made possible” by the $5 million gift.

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 8
  • Thank You 4

34 minutes ago, Howl said:

"After being fired, SWBTS adds, the Pattersons convinced the donors [of 5 million dollars] to “revoke their substantial gift and to instead donate those funds to Sandy Creek Foundation,” which is the Pattersons’ personal nonprofit."

This 2017 IRS 990 was filed before those big donor bucks came into the coffers, but it looks like quite the scam set up, complete with its IRS 501(c)(3) ruling.

Interesting that there are no more recent IRS 990s which, presumably, would report the $5 million in "gifts."

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

• 3 weeks later...

Calvary Chapel: gack

Sordid history here: 

Convicted Child Molester Bill Bjorkman Should Not Be a Pastor

Bill Bjorkman spent only 18 months in Folsom prison for molesting two boys, whose abuse began when the boys were 13. Bjorkman continued to molest both boys for four years. 

Bjorkman is currently the lead pastor of a Calvary Chapel congregation and (why the actual f**k am I not surprised) his wife leads the children's ministry at the church. 

Calvary Chapels are notorious for abuse scandals and also for not having policies in place for addressing abuse. 

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 6

When someone draws a line in the sand + set good, really really good, boundaries. 

• Thank You 3

At the bottom of the Christian Post article linked in Julie Anne's tweet is this related articles, so yeah, youth pastors.

This revolting guy posed as a teen girl online and got boys to send him videos and pix.  He's the son of the founder of the church where he was youth pastor. Youth pastor blackmailed boys into sending nude videos, prosecutor says

Edited by Howl
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 7

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for more information on Pastor Nathan R. Rager, who was allegedly arrested on domestic violence charges. Pastor Rager is the pastor of an IFB church. Anyone know more about this?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm looking for more information on Pastor Nathan R. Rager, who was allegedly arrested on domestic violence charges. Pastor Rager is the pastor of an IFB church. Anyone know more about this?

He's got an Internet presence as a firebreather, especially about LGBTQ issues and feminism. His church is in Port Richey, Florida. He's  originally from Altoona,PA. 

His arrest report is posted at preacherboysdoc which focuses on IFB abuse.

oh, and he says there will be legal action against anyone discussing this. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

18 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Also, there's now a Gofundme up to help his wife and child get a fresh start. 

• Upvote 2

Rager edited the facebook post about his wife's "mental health" -

image.png.babc7573d846b2315795f8bd2ca18823.png

ETA this comment, in case it gets deleted:

Spoiler

image.png.cb8fe956976043d83dea27b7c426857e.png

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 3
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Rager edited the facebook post about his wife's "mental health" -

image.png.babc7573d846b2315795f8bd2ca18823.png

ETA this comment, in case it gets deleted:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.cb8fe956976043d83dea27b7c426857e.png

This is also on his Twitterfeed. It is his pinned tweet.

• Upvote 3

He wants to look good in the eyes of the public. By saying his wife has mental health problem. I really feel bad for the wife. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

This was a huge shock to me. I never imagined I would know someone who was deeply involved in abusive fundamentalism personally. She was my college roommate and in my wedding. I'm 90% sure she was groomed and coerced into defending "her man" from birth by the IFB. I am so sad for where her life is now. (and secretly happy that I look a lot younger than her)

https://gazette.com/arts-entertainment/colorado-worship-leader-and-wife-both-fugitives-to-be-featured/article_e2ba6e70-67c1-11ea-ba6a-b3736f7f5a20.html

image.png.2304de00ba4e8863d506edee1925b523.png

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 12
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Jana814 said:

He wants to look good in the eyes of the public. By saying his wife has mental health problem. I really feel bad for the wife. 

Someone must have advised him to change it though - taking out the reference to mental health issues was the edit.

BTW, that comment criticizing him was gone mere seconds after I posted it here.

• Upvote 8

21 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

This was a huge shock to me. I never imagined I would know someone who was deeply involved in abusive fundamentalism personally. She was my college roommate and in my wedding. I'm 90% sure she was groomed and coerced into defending "her man" from birth by the IFB. I am so sad for where her life is now. (and secretly happy that I look a lot younger than her)

https://gazette.com/arts-entertainment/colorado-worship-leader-and-wife-both-fugitives-to-be-featured/article_e2ba6e70-67c1-11ea-ba6a-b3736f7f5a20.html

image.png.2304de00ba4e8863d506edee1925b523.png

Have they still not been ground? If so, who the hell is helping them? Cult followers? Ugh.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Someone must have advised him to change it though - taking out the reference to mental health issues was the edit.

BTW, that comment criticizing him was gone mere seconds after I posted it here.

His twitter account is now private, although I can still see his profile.

This is his public bio:

Hellfire preacher & urban missionary in the drug & smut capitol of Florida... KJV Only, #OldPaths, soul winner, street preacher.

In case anyone is wondering; his church is in Port Richey, Florida. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

I'm 90% sure she was groomed and coerced into defending "her man" from birth by the IFB. I am so sad for where her life is now.

This is very grim, what a damn mess:

Torin Smith was arrested in 2017 on allegations of child sex assault. Smith's wife, Rena, was recently found guilty of witness tampering and child abuse. Court documents say she sent emails to one of her husband's alleged victims, offering her counseling and prayer -- and telling her to drop the charges.

Surprise, surprise, she is (or was) a leader in the the local homeschooling community. 

Accusations of multiple victims on the husband's part. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 6

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

His twitter account is now private, although I can still see his profile.

This is his public bio:

In case anyone is wondering; his church is in Port Richey, Florida. 

He reminds me of Cam of Cam and Beccy. ? 

• I Agree 3

12 hours ago, Howl said:

This is very grim, what a damn mess:

Surprise, surprise, she is (or was) a leader in the the local homeschooling community. 

Accusations of multiple victims on the husband's part. 

Yep, it's bad. Really bad.

They are on the run even now. Supposedly, they are living off-grid somewhere.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan Rager is posting on Facebook again. I really hope they are old pictures, because they are of him with his child, and I'd like to think he's not getting to see her.

Hearing hair-trigger daddy read a Chick tract  - that's some first-class bonding. ?

Spoiler

image.png.9485f0197a8b7d3b05d1ef1a5945330d.png

image.png.43e017e046dde955bd744fb2b53fa07f.png

https://www.facebook.com/people/Nathan-R-Rager/100040810311158/

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, Jasmar said:

Who is he?

Rager is an IFB pastor, the discussion on him starts towards the top of this page. 

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic