IGNORED

Post-Rapture Introductions

snarkykitty

Just a test post and introduction. I was "Antigonesev" at the other forum, just dropped the "Sev" and now I kind of regret it since I am a fan of Severus Snape.

I am married, lurk in the Pac NW, I have a little Know it All (Hermione!). We don't do the whole religion thing, but we do consider ourselves Episcopalian/Anglican. I come from a fundie-ish background, and really drank the kool-aid until I left home and started getting out in the "real world".

I suppose that's it? :) Glad to be back here! Now if only to get myself back up to "sin in the camp" that was awesome, just awesome.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a test post and introduction. I was "Antigonesev" at the other forum, just dropped the "Sev" and now I kind of regret it since I am a fan of Severus Snape.

I am married, lurk in the Pac NW, I have a little Know it All (Hermione!). We don't do the whole religion thing, but we do consider ourselves Episcopalian/Anglican. I come from a fundie-ish background, and really drank the kool-aid until I left home and started getting out in the "real world".

I suppose that's it? :) Glad to be back here! Now if only to get myself back up to "sin in the camp" that was awesome, just awesome.

Don't worry about dropping the "Sev", the FJ saint is Alan Rickman. I'm pretty sure it's just a given that most of us are Snape fans. I know I am!

I'm a long time lurker (like 2 years) and avid reader, but first time commenter. Biblical Womanhood was my gateway blog (for some reason I was googling courtship), and I quickly amassed quite the list of fundie blogs to follow. I find reading other people's viewpoints, especially when they do not agree with mine, and considering what might make them see things their way to be absolutely fascinating. I am looking forward to joining in the discussions here!

Hello all. Just a short intro: I'm in my early 20s, in my last year of college. I was raised fundie-lite, yet my current church is fundie-lite-lite, which makes for an interesting dynamic. I'm currently trying to work through the tangle of beliefs impressed upon me when I was younger, deciding what to keep and what to toss. FJ has been helping me a lot in that regard.

Like another poster, I signed up for FJ just before the group moved, so I'm not too upset at losing my post count. Hope to get all the way up to Fundie Wedding Crasher in no time! :D

Welcome! The I've been following the Maxwells for about 6-7 years. After N&M's marriage, but before the babies.

I recall reading a post Teri made about their courtship and engagement, and she mentioned N&M practiced entwining their arms and drinking punch about a week before the wedding (they intended on doing this during the reception and I guess needed to practice??). Meaning, yes, they touched! I was very surprised.

This is holly. I needed something more covert in case my fundie inlaws came across us!

Don't worry about dropping the "Sev", the FJ saint is Alan Rickman. I'm pretty sure it's just a given that most of us are Snape fans. I know I am!

Lostie, how could I have forgotten that?!... and that makes me think about the Logo contest... we really should have something of our patron saint on here :whistle: It can't hurt to plant a seed in someone's head about that :lol:

Hi, I'm TMS, Catholic convert, mom to four, and former homeschooler. I used to be interested in the fundie lifestyle - as in, wanting to become one. But dh firmly put his foot down and said "NO WAY." Eventually we found ourselves on the road to Rome, and became Catholic. And it was actually all the anti-Catholicism that seems to automatically come with being a fundie that made us want to study Catholicism in the first place and find out why they were so misguided and ignorant. So in a way, fundies helped convert us to Catholicism. I find myself fascinated with fundies today, because of the fact that I wanted to be one at a time in my life.

aw, im so annoyed that my post count didn't move over. You all can't have posted 1000s of posts in the past 24 hours.

aw, im so annoyed that my post count didn't move over. You all can't have posted 1000s of posts in the past 24 hours.

There was a signup at the old board to request to keep your post count. I think there was/is a thread here about it too, but you may have missed the cutoff.

Hi everyone, I'm still Marian the Librarian. It's great to read all these introductions! I'm in my mid-50s, married just a few years ago, no kids, and work for an eebil gummint public library system. My gateway fundies were the Botkins (found a copy of "Return of the Daughters" in my library, proof that a really good public library has something to offend everyone!), and then Doug Phillips of Vision Forum.

My hot-button issues are screwed-up family dynamics, specifically control-freak parents who WON'T LET GO.

FJ never disappoints, and I love the new board.

Hi!

I am Dena. I drank the Kool aide and was a fundy. Then, that wasn't fundy enough so I was one of those crazy Messy's. The Messianic place was a cult for sure and I found my way out thank goodness. My only defense was that I was very young.

I have been lurking for a while, and I figured speaking up after the rapture would be a good thing.

There was a signup at the old board to request to keep your post count. I think there was/is a thread here about it too, but you may have missed the cutoff.

I posted in that thread but apparently not fast enough. Pretty sure I did it within 24 hrs of the original post though, so that sucks.

SquirrelySquirel:

Hey! I'm an Indiana dweller also. Don't you hate being a liberal in a conservative state. Sometimes I wish I lived on a coast.

Dang, you guys too?! I'm up north, near Chicago, so it's not too bad, but I went to Purdue, so I met aaaall kinds of interesting Indiana people there! Not so much fundies, but more like, they were totally cool with putting Bible quotes on Facebook, and no one would make fun of them for it. It's almost worse than fundies, because these people look and seem so normal on the outside. :?

Hello All,

In real life, I am Cindy Kunsman of undermuchgrace.com.

When I signed up for Taunya H's board, before FJ existed, I signed up as undermuchgrace, just to let everyone know who I was.

So I posted on the pre-rapture FJ as undermuchgrace, I had 554 posts and was "Secretly a Duggar"

Because I have a whole new afterlife, and in keeping with the Revelation thing where God gives you a stone that he puts into your hand with a new name written on it that no one knows, and sort of like Time Lords who only tell their real names to their spouses, I chose a new name.

From the many silly names used on Monty Python, I picked "brainsample."

So henceforth, let it be known: I am renamed "Brainsample" in honor of those sages of the Flying Circus.

I don't think I'm allowed to send PMs yet, so if she doesn't see it, someone please let Vasla know so she can block my posts!

Since there is no def of Fundie that is written in stone and agreed upon, and since there seems to be what is some kind of continuum of fundiness, I am Christian but not necessarily the evil kind of worst example fundie. But I'm well into my 40s, so I don't care what you call me and only care about what a select few think about me. Doggie says that since I have a good sense of humor, I can't be a real fundie, and MamaJuneBug likes me, so I can't be all bad! :dance:

I've been working with the HephzibahGirls.com, but most of the active folks there have been recently distracted, as have I. Currently, I'm working on transcribing an old audio of one RW's sermons that is awful concerning the "Strange Woman." It recently appeared on the internet archive:

http://www.archive.org/details/StrangeWomanDoctrine

Essentially, there are many people both in and out of the IFB that believe that some women and even young girls are just born with the "heart of a strange woman." This is how they explain that some little girls get molested. They are just given natures that are consistent with the prostitute described in Proverbs. Williams says that if you want to figure out who is the strange woman at your church, just sit and be quiet and listen. The woman with the loudest voice is the whore in the bunch -- just proof of her whoring ways -- because Proverbs describes the harlot (what the Hebrew language describes through the literal translation of "strange woman") as loud and boisterous. That all dovetails with the idea from the Apocrypha that Dinah was culpable in her own rape, and she didn't cry out or was not protected. Her real problem was that she had the heart of a strange woman, was not a titus 2 lover of the home, so she went out to see the daughters of the land which the Book of Judith and Josephus claim was a festival. Williams who is supposed to believe only the KJV Bible draws a whole doctrine out of the Apocrypha and borrows from Gothard, but essentially, this is why Dinah was raped... And her dad, Jacob, could have avoided the whole mess if he'd have just given his 6 year old to his brother Esau who was in his 60s or 70s as one of his wives, and the rape could have been avoided. (Bring me a new bucket. Maybe I should have chosen Mr. Creosote as my new name???)

Tina Anderson and the new woman named Cheryl who has come forward (both former members of Chuck Phelps IFB church in NH) would both classify as small children who just had this intrinsic disposition and personality of the strange woman which is why they enticed their molesters. Ron Williams' wife Patti claims that she could tell that she was turning men on when she was five. So many of these pastors blame the children for their own molestation because God knew what they were when he created them, and that strange woman heart that they had since birth just overcame the willpower of the adult men who molested them. So a five year old who gets molested is at fault really, more than or just as much as the adult molester. This is why Tina was made to apologize. Hephzibah House was a dumping ground for girls exactly like Tina.

I only have about 10% of this sicko sermon transcribed at this point. I can only take so much of it at a time, and I have to stop and be ill. (And I have been ill on top of it. Not blaming that on Williams though, but he doesn't help.)

RE: Hephzibah House Efforts

Basically, what will help those who were at HH the most is what Janjia Lalich called "Unmasking the Guru," a subtitle in her book and a term quoted and used in the anti-cult effort. That's why I'm working on this screed sermon. As a result of the torture and programming they endured, they see RW as all powerful, and there is this non-rational but emotional belief that he has some special connection to God and has special power. The best way to tear that down involves working through a book like Janja's but also involves critical review of the doctrines like the strange woman doctrine.

Many of them need to see the sermons torn apart and refuted using Scripture, and Jeri Massi who did the HH podcasts has done some of this work. That's what the Hephzibah Girls want most. Anyone well versed in any of that stuff like Dinah and Gothard's doctrine of "crying out" from their former fundie days, please let me know if you'd like to contribute.

Heck, I shoulda made this it's own thread. But I'll let brainsample sink in a bit first.

I'm Anne, divorced, in my 30s with a 5-year-old daughter.

I'm in Iowa, surrounded by Ezzo and Babywise. I have some fundie-lites in my family. Not the skirt kind, but the submissive wives, "hitting their kids because the Bible says to" kind. Raised Christian, still am.

I found the old board because of the Duggars. I only lurked at the other one, decided to sign up here.

Dang, you guys too?! I'm up north, near Chicago, so it's not too bad, but I went to Purdue, so I met aaaall kinds of interesting Indiana people there! Not so much fundies, but more like, they were totally cool with putting Bible quotes on Facebook, and no one would make fun of them for it. It's almost worse than fundies, because these people look and seem so normal on the outside. :?

Haha, you must've met everyone I went to high school with, then.

I just want to say damn you name changers!

Throatwarbler Mangrove was too long to type.

(aka undermuchgrace)

Hey everyone,

I'm Bekkah, 21 yo college senior who wears pants and lives on her own for most of the year. I just found out we moved because I was transitioning back from my big trip to India. I haven't really had time. I am agnostic and was raised lutheran. I just don't have much respect for Chrisitaninty anymore. I don't have any kids or anything. I am a biology major and believe in ebil evolution :evil:. I live in liberal Minnesota and I became interestedf in fundies after looking up the duggar's beliefs when I was 14. I have been on the fundie hunt for 7 years but have been apart of the FJ community for over 3 years.

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. Just call me pamplemousse. :) About me: mid-40's, paralegal, lifelong Chicagoland resident. Never married and no kids, unless you count my three cats (or, shall we say, owners). (Yeah, I guess you can call me a cat lady.) I was raised Lutheran and still occasionally attend church when there isn't a NASCAR race on TV and when I decide to drag the bones out of bed to get there. I'd say my beliefs are Lutheran with some fundie and some other Protestant thrown in.

Fundie credentials: I went to a Southern Baptist church for a year or two while I was in junior high and actually was baptized there. A few years later, my parents decided they disliked all the churches they tried, so they made us all watch Jimmy Swaggart on Sunday mornings and called it church. One of my sisters even requested application info for his Bible college. (To this day, I refuse to have anything to do with him.) Dad also used to write papers about various Biblical theories, etc. My oldest sister is what I guess you'd call fundie lite... she, her hubby, and both their kids are born-again Christians, Tea Party, very conservative. However, sis doesn't wear skirts all the time and I think the last time my niece did was at her brother's wedding two years ago.

My gateway fundies were the Duggars. Yes, I have their first book. As I started questioning their actions, beliefs, etc., I looked for other forums discussing them, which led me to TWOP, other forums and blogs, and eventually FJ. I agree with some of what I've read on the various fundie blogs; but as someone whose parents were very hostile about our leaving home and played the guilt cards masterfully, as much as I can see how so many of the girls (especially) think they must stay at home and be subservient to their fathers and later to their husbands, some of what I read on those blogs makes me want to scream, pull my hair out, and shake these girls and yell at them, "Father does NOT always know best! You DO have it in you to get out and find out what God REALLY wants for you!"

Anyway, I'm loving the new board; and I can't wait to join in!

*gulps and hits send*

Hello everyone,

I have lurked at FJ since the old board but it's only since the change I've purposed to delurk :mrgreen: I couldn't until I had a name, so I stole the nick from something a poster put here. Seems to sum up the bizarre way fundies view Jesus...less how the Bible says, more a combo of Ultimate Fighting and a very strange personal life indeed.

I am female and from the UK. I went to a school where Christianity was taken seriously and was a Christian of sorts until age 18 when I lost my religion on a dark and rainy night, after which I promptly became a communist (no, I'm not joking :twisted: ) Since then I have found Christianity, especially the fundie/Dominionist variety, utterly fascinating. When I was led to FJ, it was my dream world of snark come true.

It's amazing to hear all your varied perspectives (have been particularly intrigued by Mami Bear's posts lately, but I love all the different views).

I will endeavour not to shit on the carpet. If I absolutely have to shit I will at least warn you first. And hopefully make it to the toilet...

Archived