IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen, Parts 25- More threads than Duggars

samurai_sarah

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I still know a lot of people that are into Thrive. My SIL being huge into it. She's always posting on social media with specific hashtags about her thriving and how it's helping her get healthy, yet all her "before and after" photos look exactly the same. 

The only MLM I've ever purchased from is Pampered Chef. I really like some of their products but I despise Pampered Chef parties and nearly every consultant I meet. I just happen to have a really cool neighbor who lets me order from her with no pressure. :pb_lol: 

Lia Sophia counts as an MLM, right? I did buy a few things from a Lia Sophia consultant, & from a Pampered Chef party, too (but who knows where those things are now).

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to buy Amway products a long long time ago. Problem was, I loved the laundry detergent and cleaning supplies. I bought them regularly from the representative, but I just would NOT listen to or respond to the entreaties for me to start my own group of buyers, etc. The person actually stopped selling to me because of it.

On 3/1/2017 at 1:55 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm just glad "It Works" is finally dying down around here. That was unbearable. 

I had to unfollow a friend on FB & Insta, it was ALL she posted for 3 months. She pmd me a few weeks ago and asked why I hadn't been "talking to her" meaning I wasn't commenting on her posts.  I finally told her I w as sick to death of that stupid It works shit she was selling.  she was spamming my feed several times a day.  I felt bad because she had just moved with her husband about 400 miles from where she's lived her whole life. She's 43 and has been here since birth, she had to quit a job she loved and is now staying home with her 2 year old and 10 yr old. she's bored and lonely  this was giving her something to do. She said I was the 4th person that told her how annoying she was being, she wasn't selling as much as she liked and it was turning out to be a lot of work for a lot more aggravation, so she stopped. 

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I used to buy Amway products a long long time ago. Problem was, I loved the laundry detergent and cleaning supplies. I bought them regularly from the representative, but I just would NOT listen to or respond to the entreaties for me to start my own group of buyers, etc. The person actually stopped selling to me because of it.

Amway, or what ever it is called now is a fucking cult. That company is INSANE, it why they changed their name. 

I hate that kind of thing, I blocked an aunt of mine of Facebook because she wouldn't stop posting about these face creams, life-changing results, before/after shots (spoiler alert: she looked exactly the same, just like she had washed her face). And I personally prefer to put only natural, organic stuff on my face, so she took it as a personal offense when I said I wouldn't try it... sorry, auntie, half those ingredients are illegal in Europe, so I'm going to steer clear for now. It's like they're selling drugs or something. "Just try it! Just this once! It'll change your life!" Um, no thanks. I'm good.

I think it makes sense for fundie women to be super into that, since they're not technically working outside the home, they're not under a man's authority, and they can still find a way to feed the twelve or so kids they were forced to birth. It can be empowering, I guess, and they can contribute to their family's well-being. That doesn't mean it's not super frickin' annoying, though. Whenever someone tells me to buy something, there's a 100% chance that I will not buy it. I'm a rebel, I guess.

Another MLM I cannot stand - Mary Kay. I won a "facial spa" certificate at a bridal show I went to and while I really didn't want to use it, I decided to go with my mom because she seemed genuinely interested. It was at a legit salon building, but it ended up being a Mary Kay meeting where they were selling face masks. The rep was so pushy and I could tell most of the people there also won these "certificates" and had no idea that it was a Mary Kay meeting. 

So now because of that, whenever I see a Mary Kay rep I instantly label them under "annoying AF" Thanks, lady. :pb_lol: 

Mary Kay. I remember, back in the 70s, the consultants actually bragged that the ingredients in the makeup were the same ones that were used to tan hides.  OK< I never wanted my face to look like leather, so I never bought Mary Kay.

I've been to a couple of Pampered Chef parties and have bought their mix-n-chop for myself, my parents, and my brother (because it's awesome, but you can also get the same thing from the dollar store). I've also bought quite a lot of Jamberry stuff from a friend (who has, thankfully, never pressured me to have my own party).

My best friend and her husband are selling something called IsAgenix which as far as I can see is basically the same as It Works, without the wraps. Protein drinks and shit. They don't taste terrible, but you have to pay to be a customer on top of buying the shit and so I politely declined (I hope it was polite....it may not have been). That's ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, just...sare said:

I've been to a couple of Pampered Chef parties and have bought their mix-n-chop for myself, my parents, and my brother (because it's awesome, but you can also get the same thing from the dollar store). I've also bought quite a lot of Jamberry stuff from a friend (who has, thankfully, never pressured me to have my own party).

While I think the Pampered Chef stuff is generally overpriced and can be found in more places, I really like their pastry blender. I've finally found a second one at Fred Meyer that I like as much. I like to make biscuits and prefer to use butter in them instead of shortening. Those two pastry blender actually handle the stick of butter pretty well. I never have been coordinated enough to use the two knives method.

It has been hard to see all of the Jamberry references. I still think of Jamberry as a children's book.

37 minutes ago, just...sare said:

My best friend and her husband are selling something called IsAgenix which as far as I can see is basically the same as It Works, without the wraps. Protein drinks and shit. They don't taste terrible, but you have to pay to be a customer on top of buying the shit and so I politely declined (I hope it was polite....it may not have been). That's ridiculous.

The Pampered Chef Food Chopper is also the best one of that type I've seen (that doesn't cost a fortune). 

I've tried a couple of different brands since mine broke, but none of them have compared.

I used to have some Mary Kay makeup that I looooved until it dried up and broke/died much sooner than I expected :my_dodgy: Other than that, Herbalife probably wins my award for most annoying. I just feel sad for most Jamberry reps I know... sorry if that's condescending, but ack! It takes all the fun out of actual nail art.

Some MLM companies that I actually love are Cutco and Silpada. For me, those products have been great.

56 minutes ago, NakedKnees said:

I used to have some Mary Kay makeup that I looooved until it dried up and broke/died much sooner than I expected :my_dodgy: Other than that, Herbalife probably wins my award for most annoying. I just feel sad for most Jamberry reps I know... sorry if that's condescending, but ack! It takes all the fun out of actual nail art.

Some MLM companies that I actually love are Cutco and Silpada. For me, those products have been great.

Herbalife is THE worst. I had to block my godmother on ALL of my social media because she would harass me to buy those crappy shakes.

Tupperware and Pampered Chef are the only MLMs I've ever bought anything from. They can both be a little expensive, but they also have quality products, so I think it's worth it for some things. Plus I don't find the reps I know for either company to be pushy. 

The MLM craze has really taken over my social media though. The worst is when someone doesn't even pretend to shill a product anymore, and is just posting about how much money they're making and how great it is to work from home. I have a friend who's selling a weight loss supplement, and she's actually gained weight since she started selling it, but she's managed to build such a huge downline that it doesn't even matter. People just sign up because it's "easy money", not realizing that all her easy money is from all the people buying the starter package from her. She posts pictures of her payments from the company, and a whole new wave of people rush to sign up. It's nuts.

I'm sick of Nerium. I have a few FB friends who sell. One of them is on the verge of being blocked. One of the people I'm "friends" with- I don't know her but she's connected through the organization I work for- sent me a pm about Beachbody and Shakeology.... Hell no. 

I don't mind Tupperware. They actually make some really useful storage items that last forever. I also like Pampered Chef. I use the hell out of the items I have purchased from parties. 

A few months ago, my boyfriend - my sweet, innocent, boyfriend - happened to meet an Amway rep. Yep, Amway is still around. He was at work at Starbucks, which from internet searching is apparently where they are encouraged to do their "networking," for whatever reason, and she started asking him about his life goals. Then she said she was a financial guru or something and a small business owner and wanted to talk to him about how to make his money work for him. She told him to invite me too.
I went, mostly out of curiosity, though I knew it was going to be an MLM pitch. It was the girl, me and my bf and a middle aged couple who was our "recruiter's" recruiter, and they explained the business plan but it clearly made no sense.
Long story short, the girl was my age - 24 - and legitimately believed she would be retiring in two years because of this. Not that she had made the money yet, just that she truly expected to. I felt sad for her, but even more so for the older couple. They had small kids, and told us they joined after the husband was laid off and the wife was sick and a SAHM. I think they meant it to be inspirational but it was just sad to me, because whoever reached out to them clearly caught them when they were desperate.
I hope I didn't make my boyfriend sound like an idiot, lol he would never actually sign up for something like that and invest money, but he really believes the girl just wanted to give him free financial advice. He always sees the best in people, and is rarely on his Facebook so he doesn't see MLMs on a regular basis like those of us on social media do.

Back in the day I used to travel to amway conventions to babysit. Like 25-30 years ago. Amway is a cult imo. lol

I like Avon and no I'm not 70 lol  My great aunt sold it for years and their body spray and bubble bath are the only ones I can use without giving hubby a migraine so when she retired I had to find a new rep.  There's a lot of MLM around here and most don't bother me.  I love Scentsy and Pampered Chef products but no matter how much I've bought at a party no one has pressured me to host.  The one that drives me up the wall is Juice Plus.  It's a cult, people say "Praise God" but there's nothing remotely "standard" religion they are really praising Juice Plus.  I've got one friend in the last 15 years I've never seen her say or write "I'm blessed"  "Thank you God" or anything like that but now with JP it's all of that.  One of their things "flood your cells with all the fruits, vegetables, and vineyards your body needs".  Umm vineyards are where grapes are grown not something you can eat.

I have some stoneware pans from PC that i love andhave had for years. That said, i had to buy them at a party my mother made me go to (seller was shamelessly pushy SIL). I hate all MLM pitches (esp the essential oils shit!) and parties, although  i do like the Ava Anderson skincare line  (but just looked and it's now called Pure Haven Essentials, bleah).

The most weird "selling party" i ever was invited to was one about candles. It was called partylite. I just could not understand why I should visit or even host a party where someone shows me expensive candles, that I should buy. The whole concept was weird to me. There are candle shops, deco shops, even supermarkets have candles, you know what i mean? I did not get it.

The only party i would ever go to or host would be tupperware. I am a tupperware-fan. Their concept never seemed weird to me. 

5 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

I have some stoneware pans from PC that i love andhave had for years. That said, i had to buy them at a party my mother made me go to (seller was shamelessly pushy SIL). I hate all MLM pitches (esp the essential oils shit!) and parties, although  i do like the Ava Anderson skincare line  (but just looked and it's now called Pure Haven Essentials, bleah).

Don't even get me started on those damn essential oils.  One of my bitchy coworkers wears them and they stink. She smells like Windex. They make my head hurt. She's gotten a few other people to try them. Omg one day it smelled like dirty hippie (that's what I think of when I smell Patchouli), Windex, Oregano, and Oranges. I don't care what you want to smell like at home, but on office is no place for your freaking diffuser and if your scent is strong enough that I can smell you coming before I see your face... It's too much. 

11 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Herbalife is THE worst. I had to block my godmother on ALL of my social media because she would harass me to buy those crappy shakes.

Herbalife also preys on low-income Latino immigrants. The company is absolute scum.

I think a lot of MLM products are fine (I actually like some of the makeups I've used and pampered chef seems fine), but the idea behind them is sketch enough I don't want to support it.

4 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

The most weird "selling party" i ever was invited to was one about candles. It was called partylite. I just could not understand why I should visit or even host a party where someone shows me expensive candles, that I should buy. The whole concept was weird to me. There are candle shops, deco shops, even supermarkets have candles, you know what i mean? I did not get it.

The only party i would ever go to or host would be tupperware. I am a tupperware-fan. Their concept never seemed weird to me. 

Thanks for reminding me of this. I did go to a few Partylite shows that a friend hosted, & admit to buying some of their products (they did smell good, honestly), but haven't do that in many moons. I'm a Yankee Candle slave, & I went to their flagship store in South Deerfield, MA a few months ago (which I've been to many times previously). I'm good (candle-wise) for a while now.  ;) 

Why has there been no mention of the Amway connetions of Betsy DeVos?  Her husband is the son of the founder.

2 hours ago, rezski44 said:

Why has there been no mention of the Amway connetions of Betsy DeVos?  Her husband is the son of the founder.

I was thinking of that

3 hours ago, divadivine said:

Don't even get me started on those damn essential oils.  One of my bitchy coworkers wears them and they stink. She smells like Windex. They make my head hurt. She's gotten a few other people to try them. Omg one day it smelled like dirty hippie (that's what I think of when I smell Patchouli), Windex, Oregano, and Oranges. I don't care what you want to smell like at home, but on office is no place for your freaking diffuser and if your scent is strong enough that I can smell you coming before I see your face... It's too much. 

I flipping hate that stuff, I suffer from anxiety and am prone to panic attacks in stressful situations (fun stuff let me tell you) and I have (about to be had) a friend who sells that essential oils. She keeps trying to get me to buy this shit for "relaxation", NO, I do mean F*&^ NO. She 'forgets' that I RAGE HATE the smell of lavender it smells so flipping bad and is in EVERYTHING, there is nothing relaxing about that stench.  We do have those Scentcy wax melt things (only they aren't Scentcy they are from Target) in around the office, while that is usually frowned upon at work, we work across the street from a soy processing plant and it smells like a grease trap outside of McDonald's. It is disgusting, so the office coordinates scents, we keep it in the vanilla/spice family so nothing is too overwhelming, and they melt well together, plus the owner/boss man doesn't complain about them so that is a plus. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived