- Hey, hey, hey
-Stiring up desires that can't be righteously fulfilled
-Defrauding

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fellowship" as a verb

"Purpose" as a verb

"Buy used and save the difference" (especially as it not particularly true)

• Precious
  • Sweet fellowship
  • Momma (when Jim Bob talks about Michelle, I can't stand his voice)
  • Yeeeeeaaaahhhhiiii -that strange yeah they strech as if something great happen and than you realise it was because someone breathed

"A heart for..." anything, but especially "a servant's heart", because it's not like those girls ever have any other choices!

"Meek" as a compliment

Like yeah um totally baaaaaaaaaaaabe

I'm purposing to have a servant's heart as I walk through this season of life - that's my Duggar equivalent of the awesome xkcd cartoon:

https://xkcd.com/919/

JInger's 'baaaaaaaaaaabe' is pretty grating. But anything that comes out of Dim Wit's mouth is worse.

16 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

What are some of your least favorite words and phrases of Duggarese?

• convicted  - makes me think of someone going to jail
  • use of "purpose" as a verb - as a student of linguistics, this makes me stabby.  My college professor would have a fit. 
  • servant's heart - given their "buddy" system, it justifies using your daughter as a family slave
  • use of "fellowship" as a verb - see no. 2

Oh, "holding ourselves to a higher standard".  

IE, we are planning on getting married in a few months and immediately procreating like rabbits but won't even hold hands because we are better than y'all.  Passive Aggressive bragging about repression of a very natural tactile need to touch someone who is:

"my best friend".

Otherwise known as the first guy I've been allowed to even entertain romantic school girl thoughts about. 

5 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

NIKE

This may be a stupid question, but when they say "nike" do they say it like the brand name or rhyming with like?

3 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

This may be a stupid question, but when they say "nike" do they say it like the brand name or rhyming with like?

Like the brand. They wanted a code word so they wouldn't have to scream, "DON'T LOOK AT THE HARLOT!"

28 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

The girls say "Nike" when they see someone dressed immodestly, so the boys know to look at thier shoes....hence the term "Nike".

I think the Duggars find this sooooo clever and witty.     Lol

19 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Jim Bob saying "Hola" everywhere! Dear god. 

Modest!!!!

That whole "Hola" thing while in Nepal made all stabby.

4 hours ago, Mela99 said:

JInger's 'baaaaaaaaaaabe' is pretty grating. But anything that comes out of Dim Wit's mouth is worse.

• I and Michelle.
  • Joyfully available
  • As many as God will give me. 
2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Like the brand. They wanted a code word so they wouldn't have to scream, "DON'T LOOK AT THE HARLOT!"

One would think that telling them NOT to look would lead them to look even more.

"Whenever" for "when" drives me nuts. Some people are saying it's a regional thing, but I've spent plenty of time in Arkansas and never heard it. 

In defense of "purpose to," it's legitimate archaic English that a religious group has chosen to revive after reading it in the King James Bible. Doesn't bother me.

JB's terrible Spanish choices are so grating and insulting, I can't even find them funny.

"Season of life" and "fellowship" bother me too. The part of 17(?)KaC where the cameraman asks Joy what "defraud" means and she can't even slightly explain it is so depressing to me, it's left a nasty taste in my mouth since.

Some of Jinger's and Jill's valley-girlisms are annoying, I guess, but I'm honestly glad it's a worldly type of "annoying" and not a ridiculous fundamentalist Christian type.

1 minute ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

In defense of "purpose to," it's legitimate archaic English that a religious group has chosen to revive after reading it in the King James Bible. Doesn't bother me.

I actually really like "purpose to" and find it sneaking into my regular vocabulary. It sounds archaic but I like to use terms like that (only in situations where I'm not afraid of sounding snobby or condescending, of course).

5 hours ago, nokidsmom said:
  • convicted  - makes me think of someone going to jail
  • use of "purpose" as a verb - as a student of linguistics, this makes me stabby.  My college professor would have a fit. 
  • servant's heart - given their "buddy" system, it justifies using your daughter as a family slave
  • use of "fellowship" as a verb - see no. 2

Revival of archaic English be damned---I'm with you!  As an English major, I hear "to purpose" and "to fellowship" and want to weep. 

I think what really bugs me---and with these terms especially---is that yes, this group has specifically chosen this vocabulary to cement their unity.  Like their modest dress, or actually any religious sect's clothing choices (yarmulkes, hijabs), it distinguishes them from the rabble.  But why am I OK with the clothing and not the language?  Huh.  Now I am doing a stream of consciousness.   Amish "thee" and "thou" don't irk me, so why this?  I may need to spend some time in the prayer closet.

3 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Revival of archaic English be damned---I'm with you!  As an English major, I hear "to purpose" and "to fellowship" and want to weep. 

I think what really bugs me---and with these terms especially---is that yes, this group has specifically chosen this vocabulary to cement their unity.  Like their modest dress, or actually any religious sect's clothing choices (yarmulkes, hijabs), it distinguishes them from the rabble.  But why am I OK with the clothing and not the language?  Huh.  Now I am doing a stream of consciousness.   Amish "thee" and "thou" don't irk me, so why this?  I may need to spend some time in the prayer closet.

Based on this thread, I looked up the words "purpose" and "fellowship" on dictionary.com.  The definitions of purpose are as a noun and a verb (both transitive and intransitive) as is fellowship.  Still, I am used to these words being used as nouns, it just seems so off to use "to purpose" and "purposing" for example so yeah, it's the use of language to separate the group.

16 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

That whole "Hola" thing while in Nepal made all stabby.

Yes, I hunk how they act in public in general is something I hate. It is SO rude. The plain disgust over food that doesn't look familiar and, as you mentioned, "Hola" in Nepal made me want to scream. I love traveling and it would be a privilege to be able to go to Nepal or Japan one day.

Saying "whenever" instead of "when" is probably my second place pet peeve. I remember in the past when this had been brought up some users mention it is a regional thing and not necessarily incorrect, but it drives me bonkers.

1 hour ago, Londish said:

Yes, I hunk how they act in public in general is something I hate. It is SO rude. The plain disgust over food that doesn't look familiar and, as you mentioned, "Hola" in Nepal made me want to scream. I love traveling and it would be a privilege to be able to go to Nepal or Japan one day.

Saying "whenever" instead of "when" is probably my second place pet peeve. I remember in the past when this had been brought up some users mention it is a regional thing and not necessarily incorrect, but it drives me bonkers.

I love traveling too. London is lovely in the summer. I live in the southern states so it was nice to be warm in the summer instead of melting. I've always wanted to go to Japan and Nepal as well. 

Does anyone else hear the term "sweet fellowship" and automatically think of sex?  When most  of them, especially Michelle say, "we got to have some sweet fellowship", I think ,they got to humping like dogs.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:02 PM, JMO said:

This one is definitely the worst. It basically means we've beat our daughter into total submission so that she willingly does everything without being asked and volunteers for more. See: Michael Bates/Jana. 

The one that pisses me off:

"s/he has a heart for the Lord".

Often listed as the number one reason to love your child/courting partner.  

Of course it translates in Christianese to"I really would like a free maid err female companion who will do what I want when I want and won't give me sass because Jesus."

I hate "what we're walking through" especially when said by Anna because it implies that she shares blame for what happened. No, she doesn't and that's cruel. Also when the girls talk I can't help but listen for "aaaaaannnd".

Raven on the Bachelor speaks just like the Duggar girls. It was driving me crazy to place her accent and mannerisms. Turns out she is from Hoxie, AR.  

The one thing that drove me nuts is when Jessa would say, "us girls"  or "us Duggars."

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived