IGNORED

Trump 7 - Cheeto in Charge

samurai_sarah

11 hours ago, VixenToast said:

Can someone who was older than 11 at Dubya's inauguration please tell me it was as crazy as this, that maybe the end is not nigh? Oh please tell me there were as many questionable nominations, as many crazy wingnuts blabbering about stupid things. 

Am I worried over nothing? Or am I really reading between the lines and have the full measure of the man and his future administration?

No. Not even remotely close (and I am plenty old enough to remember).

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, VixenToast said:

ugh. Can someone who was older than 11 at Dubya's inauguration please tell me it was as crazy as this, that maybe the end is not nigh? Oh please tell me there were as many questionable nominations, as many crazy wingnuts blabbering about stupid things. 

Am I worried over nothing? Or am I really reading between the lines and have the full measure of the man and his future administration?

I was 29 when the Shrub took office. I remember feeling ill, but not this sense of fear and despair I have now. 

I think part of this stems from the fact that both parties still had some respect for each other then, instead of screaming loudly on their partisan news stations how the other party is destroying the country. I also give credit to some of the WW2 generation who was still serving in congress, and other older congress folks (not just men) who had served with them a number of years. I give that generation that was forged in World War 2 a lot of credit. It didn't matter in the war if you were more liberal or conservative, if you were from Detroit, Boston, Dubuque, Silverton, or Decatur (pick your state), that position needed to be taken and you needed to work with the rest in your platoon to take it. After the war, they seemed better able to say we have this problem, now we need to come together to find a solution, than what we're seeing in Congress now. I thought I was for term limits, but I'm now seeing that these people who can serve only 8 years are very beholden to the partisans who put them there, instead of the common good, and aren't afraid to shut down the government to get what they think they want.

I was 10 years old when Dubya got re-elected. 

I'm from a heavily democratic area in a swing state that voted for Dubya twice (but voted for Obama both times and Clinton so things are swinging more to the left nowadays.) 

I remember my parents were disappointed and knew things would get worse. I remember my friends and I feeling disappointed, although we were quiet young we were still old enough to understand the gist of what was going on. I don't remember people fearing hate crimes, deportation, etc, then again, I didn't know a lot of people who were out LGBT then (bc I was 10.)

I don't remember people staging mass protests on this scale either. 

Our neighbors told my parents that, at my old elementary school, the teachers have told kids not to talk about the election. Which is just plain ridiculous bc:

1) We live in what is probably one of the most politically conscious areas of the country. There are children of government employees, even congresspeople that go to that school.

2) It's wrong to try to censor politics from kids for whatever reason. Kids DESERVE to know what's going on. Ironically, at that school, there was an assignment for some of the older kids to watch the debates and do homework on it (which upset parents that didn't want their kids listening to the bile out of Cheeto's mouth)

3) I actually kind of wonder if the teachers WANTED kids to talk about it since if anything, banning something is a way for kids to be more interested in/talk about it more. 

I don't remember being asked not to talk about the election in 2004. 

Also this makes me irritated as fuck at people with political amnesia about how bad the Republicans actually were. My peers and I were KIDS during the era of Dubya and we knew what was up. Yet they want to blame millennials, and it's old white people that screwed us all into student loan debt, unemployment, and general poverty. 

I also live in a very blue county and I remember in class we did a mock election before the horrendous  2000's election and everyone except me and another kid voted Bush. I remember telling my teacher that I had this weird feeling that he would win but didn't know why. I like to say this was the moment I knew I was a psychic (I kid :pb_razz:)

But I just remember everyone hating Florida, but no one scared for this life or anything. Then EVERYTHING went south but my teachers definitely let us know what was going on just with obviously a lot of kid friendly material. They explained to us how elections worked and everything, and I'm hoping they continue especially with this hot mess of an election. The currently elementary students will be going through their own version of a Dubya era, except a MILLION times worst.

Many of W's picks were awful; chicken hawks left over from his father's administration.

Dick Chaney, Donald Rumsfeld, John Ashcroft were some of the awful ones that I recall.  Condaleeza Rice was meh.  However, Colin Powell was, and is, a winner.  

Trump's picks are stunning in their mediocrity or total lack of experience for the post, or often, both.  

Ben Carson, anyone?  Why isn't he surgeon general or in a health related field?  

But back to W.  The invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan had and are still having a horrible consequence:  Regular troops, National Guard, and the Reserves, sent for multiple tours with many troops returning with injuries, psychological and physical, without the resources to treat them.   

For example, CNN on the Fort Lauderdale shooter who killed five people and injured 8: 

Esteban Santiago needed help after he returned from a tour in Iraq a changed man, his brother said Saturday.  But Bryan Santiago said his brother didn't get the help he needed.

Esteban Santiago's aunt said her nephew talked about the destruction he witnessed. About the killing of children. Visions that haunted him.  "His mind was not right," Maria Ruiz Rivera told CNN in a phone interview from her home in New Jersey. "He seemed normal at times, but other times he seemed lost. He changed."

Bryan Santiago, who lives in Puerto Rico, said his brother asked authorities for help. "And they did nothing. They had him hospitalized for four days, and then they let him go. How are you going to let someone leave a psychological center after four days when he is saying that he is hearing voices?"  

Relatives said he had been different since his tour in Iraq, where he was deployed with the Puerto Rico National Guard from April 2010 to February 2011.

18 hours ago, VixenToast said:

I love my NuvaRing. Love it. Love love looooooove. 

I would also love to see this witch try to take away my BC. It is my right, and one for which I will fight for, to my dying breath.

However, bear in mind, who knows what can happen, but I worry they will change insurance to not cover BC, and with these repugna-can'ts trying their hardest to murder Planned Parenthood, I predict there could be future troubles.

ugh. Can someone who was older than 11 at Dubya's inauguration please tell me it was as crazy as this, that maybe the end is not nigh? Oh please tell me there were as many questionable nominations, as many crazy wingnuts blabbering about stupid things. 

As others have said, I was well over 11 when Dumbya was inaugurated. I already lived near Washington DC. Many people were unhappy, and a little concerned, but there wasn't the terror that is accompanying the invasion of Agent Orange. Also, Agent Orange will be so concerned with Tweeting and preening, so he's going to let Pence do most of the work. Pence will make sure women get pushed back as far as possible -- no reproductive rights, no push for equal pay, heck, he'd be happy if women were treated like we are in Islamic countries (not allowed to leave the home without a male relative chaperone, no driving, no working, nothing).

On another note, fuck you, Mitch McConnell: "McConnell: Democrats need to ‘grow up’ and let Trump nominees get confirmed"

Republicans are vowing to press ahead with confirmation hearings this week for Donald Trump’s Cabinet nominees despite the concerns of a federal watchdog that their complex backgrounds are slowing required ethics reviews.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Sunday that there are no plans to alter a packed confirmation calendar, but he vowed that no nominee will earn an up-or-down vote until the requisite background checks are completed by the FBI and a federal ethics office.

“The Democrats are really frustrated that they lost the election,” he told CBS’s “Face the Nation,” adding that he was in a similar situation eight years ago when President Obama took office.

“What did we do? We confirmed seven Cabinet appointments the day President Obama was sworn in. We didn’t like most of them, either. But he won the election,” McConnell said. “So all of these little procedural complaints are related to their frustration at having not only lost the White House, but having lost the Senate. I understand that. But we need to, sort of, grow up here and get past that.”

McConnell was responding to concerns expressed by Walter M. Shaub Jr., director of the Office of Government Ethics, who said in a letter released Friday that the current confirmation calendar is putting “undue pressure” on his office to “rush through these important reviews.”

Shaub, appointed in 2013 to lead the executive branch’s ethics office, warned that there are some unresolved ethics issues for nominees set to appear on Capitol Hill this week, adding that he was unaware of any Cabinet pick sitting for a confirmation hearing before completing an OGE review.

But Senate Republicans strongly disputed Shaub, noting that at least some hearings have been held before the OGE completed reviewing a nominee’s past.

Take the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, for example. The panel requires a nominee to complete a questionnaire — part of which is released publicly, while a portion containing personal information remains private. The committee also requires that a nominee undergo an ethics review by the OGE and an FBI criminal background check.

In January 2001, the committee held a confirmation hearing for Roderick Paige, George W. Bush’s choice to lead the Education Department, eight days before the OGE completed its review, aides said. That month, the committee met with Elaine Chao, tapped to serve as Bush’s labor secretary, five days before the OGE sent its findings to Capitol Hill.

This year, Chao, who is also McConnell’s wife, is nominated to serve as Trump’s transportation secretary, and her ethics and FBI background checks have been completed ahead of her hearing, scheduled for Wednesday with the Senate Commerce Committee, aides said. Her hearing will occur amid a flurry of other televised meetings with Trump nominees, including attorney general pick Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), set to meet with the Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, and secretary of state pick Rex Tillerson, set to appear before the Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday.

All of Sessions’s paperwork is completed, including the FBI background check, according to Senate aides. Tillerson turned in his ethics report a few days after being nominated but is awaiting the results of an FBI check, said those aides, who are not authorized to speak publicly about the reviews.

Betsy DeVos, Trump’s choice for education secretary, has yet to submit her ethics report, but her FBI check is completed ahead of her Wednesday hearing with the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, aides said. Paperwork for retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, nominee to lead the Department of Homeland Security, also has been completed ahead of his Wednesday hearing.

On Thursday, the Senate Banking Committee will meet with Ben Carson, Trump’s choice to lead the Department of Housing and Urban Development, while the Senate Commerce Committee will meet with Wilbur Ross, Trump’s choice to lead the Commerce Department. Both nominees are still undergoing ethics and FBI reviews, aides said.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Sunday again faulted Republicans for the confirmation schedule.

“No administration, Republican or Democrat, has tried to do what these Republicans are trying to do with their nominees,” Schumer said in a statement. “Rather than ensuring that nominees are thoroughly vetted and will remove themselves from conflicts of interests, Senate Republicans are trying to ram them through as quickly as possible.”

He added: “Until these nominees have fully cooperated with the ethics review process, the hearings and confirmation schedule should not be rushed.”

A former general counsel and acting director of the Office of Government Ethics, Don W. Fox, said his former agency should not be faulted for slowing down the confirmation of Trump’s Cabinet.

“I would not fault OGE at all” for this circumstance, he said. “There is no lack of sophistication there among the staff on complex financial arrangements. But it is a small agency, and the laws are exacting.”

As a result, cooperation and communication with the agency are required, Fox said. Given the number of wealthy nominees and reports of a lack of communication between the ethics office and Trump’s team, “it’s not surprising that this is where we are,” he added.

So, let me get this straight, Senator Crybaby says that Democrats should "grow up", yet he dug in his heels like a cranky toddler when President Obama nominated a sold middle-of-the-road judge for the Supreme Court. We all know that pretty much every Republican in the Senate and House are going to roll over in submission to Agent Orange, so there will be little or no actual examination of the nominees, just a rubber stamp, so they can get on with their push to blow away 20+ million Americans' insurance. Fuck you, Mitch, you are an asshole.

20 hours ago, VixenToast said:

I love my NuvaRing. Love it. Love love looooooove. 

I would also love to see this witch try to take away my BC. It is my right, and one for which I will fight for, to my dying breath.

However, bear in mind, who knows what can happen, but I worry they will change insurance to not cover BC, and with these repugna-can'ts trying their hardest to murder Planned Parenthood, I predict there could be future troubles.

ugh. Can someone who was older than 11 at Dubya's inauguration please tell me it was as crazy as this, that maybe the end is not nigh? Oh please tell me there were as many questionable nominations, as many crazy wingnuts blabbering about stupid things

I was in my early thirties when Bush 43 was inaugurated. Trump is a whole different ballgame. :pb_sad:

9 hours ago, apple1 said:

No. Not even remotely close (and I am plenty old enough to remember).

I was in downtown D.C. when the Supreme Court was deciding on Bush 43.  Big protests, but I don't remember this much anger, anguish or resistance. Things kind of settled down after the decision was handed down.  Nobody liked it, but we all kind of just resigned ourselves. Now?  With Trump? Well I don't know how political I can get here on FJ, but I'll just say I'm still not over it.:cry:

Turtle man needs to have several seats. On twitter someone shared the letter he sent ti Harry Reid when POTUS got elected the first time and it was a long list of everything.

Now I hear how Orange fuckface's administration hasn't been in contact with the ethics committee as well as Turtle man not caring essentially about the nominees being vetted.

Does anyone know if the nominations are live on something like c-span? Cause I need to witness the democrats HOPEFULLY going completely off with each nominee.

27 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Turtle man needs to have several seats. On twitter someone shared the letter he sent ti Harry Reid when POTUS got elected the first time and it was a long list of everything.

Now I hear how Orange fuckface's administration hasn't been in contact with the ethics committee as well as Turtle man not caring essentially about the nominees being vetted.

Does anyone know if the nominations are live on something like c-span? Cause I need to witness the democrats HOPEFULLY going completely off with each nominee.

They should be, at least on CSPAN2 (I think that's the one for Senate).

Oh boy, "Trump national security pick Monica Crowley plagiarized multiple sources in 2012 book"

Conservative author and television personality Monica Crowley, whom Donald Trump has tapped for a top national security communications role, plagiarized large sections of her 2012 book, a CNN KFile review has found.

The review of Crowley’s June 2012 book, "What The (Bleep) Just Happened," found upwards of 50 examples of plagiarism from numerous sources, including the copying with minor changes of news articles, other columnists, think tanks, and Wikipedia. The New York Times bestseller, published by the HarperCollins imprint Broadside Books, contains no notes or bibliography.

Crowley did not return a request for comment. A spokesperson for HarperCollins told CNN on Sunday: "We have no comment at this time. We are looking into the matter."

Crowley, a syndicated radio host, columnist, and, until recently, a Fox News contributor, will serve as Trump’s senior director of strategic communications for the National Security Council.

Trump’s transition team is standing by Crowley.

"Monica’s exceptional insight and thoughtful work on how to turn this country around is exactly why she will be serving in the Administration," a statement from a transition spokesperson said. "HarperCollins—one of the largest and most respected publishers in the world—published her book which has become a national best-seller. Any attempt to discredit Monica is nothing more than a politically motivated attack that seeks to distract from the real issues facing this country."

In the book, Crowley lifted an entire section on Keynesian economics from the IAC-owned website Investopedia.

In one instance, Crowley lists a variety of so-called "pork" items she claimed were part of the 2009 stimulus package. Many of the instances were copied wholesale from a conservative list of pork barrel spending, with some items dating back to the 1990s. Most of the copied instances were listed on a website for a podiatrist dating back to 2004.

A section on organized labor appears largely copied from a 2004 article by the libertarian think tank the Mises Institute. Another portion of her book on torture is copied from a Fox News article.

Sections of her book are repeatedly lifted from articles by National Review author Andrew C. McCarthy, who is a friend of Crowley’s. Lines in her book also match word-for-word the work of other columnists, including National Review’s Rich Lowry, Michelle Malkin, conservative economist Stephen Moore, Karl Rove, and Ramesh Ponnuru of Bloomberg View.

Crowley also lifted word-for-word phrases from the Associated Press, the New York Times, Politico, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Post, the BBC, and Yahoo News.

Crowley has been accused of plagiarism before. In 1999, Slate reported a column by Crowley in the Wall Street Journal mirrored a 1988 article in Commentary, the neoconservative magazine.

"Had we known of the parallels, we would not have published the article," a Journal editor’s note said at the time. Crowley denied the charge at the time, saying, "I did not, nor would I ever, use material from a source without citing it."

The article shows several of the plagiarized sections for the reader to compare. It's pretty sad that, with all the tools that are available to avoid plagiarism, nobody bothered to run her book. I remember in grad school, we had to run every paper through an analyzer, and one of my papers kept triggering on some stupid phrase because three non-sequential words were in an article from the NYT. It didn't matter that the topic wasn't the same, and the words were common, I had to change my paper.

On another note, the soon-to-be Twitter in chief had to blast Meryl Streep because she dared to speak up about him, without using his name. He called her "over-rated". Um, no honey, YOU are over-rated, Meryl Streep is a world-class actor. I just love (NOT) how he's denying once again that he mocked a disabled reporter. What an asshat.

23 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

On another note, the soon-to-be Twitter in chief had to blast Meryl Streep because she dared to speak up about him, without using his name. He called her "over-rated". Um, no honey, YOU are over-rated, Meryl Streep is a world-class actor. I just love (NOT) how he's denying once again that he mocked a disabled reporter. What an asshat.

Oh boy this man never fails to amuse me *sarcasm off* It makes me wonder if we'll witness the end of free speech during his time as an elected president...

23 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I was 29 when the Shrub took office. I remember feeling ill, but not this sense of fear and despair I have now.

Yeah I was 25 when Shrub first got selected by the Supremes  Back then I was a lot more conservative than I am now so I didn't really think it would hurt too much having him in.  It took me a while to realize what a living cluster fuck got into the White House.  Even in 2004 when he got re-selected I wasn't as worried and sick as I was after the Orange Toxic Megacolon was able to weasel his way into the White House.

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Oh boy, "Trump national security pick Monica Crowley plagiarized multiple sources in 2012 book"

The article shows several of the plagiarized sections for the reader to compare. It's pretty sad that, with all the tools that are available to avoid plagiarism, nobody bothered to run her book. I remember in grad school, we had to run every paper through an analyzer, and one of my papers kept triggering on some stupid phrase because three non-sequential words were in an article from the NYT. It didn't matter that the topic wasn't the same, and the words were common, I had to change my paper.

And how many Golden Globes does Trump have?  Meryl has eight, plus the Cecil B. DeMille award.  But go ahead, bash the most successful actress today (maybe ever).  It'll take the focus away from you not paying the contractors who worked on your post office hotel.

12 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Yeah I was 25 when Shrub first got selected by the Supremes  Back then I was a lot more conservative than I am now so I didn't really think it would hurt too much having him in.  It took me a while to realize what a living cluster fuck got into the White House.  Even in 2004 when he got re-selected I wasn't as worried and sick as I was after the Orange Toxic Megacolon was able to weasel his way into the White House.

I was a teacher at the time, so was worried about his ideas for school reform, besides his political ideology. Unfortunately, I was right-  No Child Left Behind was a catastrophe, and was the first major federal salvo in the destruction of our public schools. While they do need improvement, treating children as raw materials for the education factory does not work. You can't change the suppliers of the children, as you can suppliers for your factory, if you don't like what they send you.

Yeah, Orange Fornicate Face was out there at 5:30am this morning whining about Ms. Streep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us/politics/donald-trump-transition.html

Overrated, Donnie?  Try looking in the goddamn mirror every once in a while?

I never had the courage to come over here and read all the stuff about Trump. It was already a bad thing that he was elected ... Anyway, the more he does, the more I'm suprised, and NOT in a fucking good way. Who does he think he is ? Like seriously, what's wong with him? Why does he still have access to his tweeter ? 

I remember him saying something along the line "I will be the president of every american". Yes but no ... Everytimes someone dares to critizise what he says or does, he has to bully that person on twitter. Doesn't he know he looks like a child?

I fear for the future because I'm pretty sure the next french president won't be better than Trump.

I never had the courage to come over here and read all the stuff about Trump. It was already a bad thing that he was elected ... Anyway, the more he does, the more I'm suprised, and NOT in a fucking good way. Who does he think he is ? Like seriously, what's wong with him? Why does he still have access to his tweeter ? 
I remember him saying something along the line "I will be the president of every american". Yes but no ... Everytimes someone dares to critizise what he says or does, he has to bully that person on twitter. Doesn't he know he looks like a child?
I fear for the future because I'm pretty sure the next french president won't be better than Trump.

@LaParisienne: Let me guess: The next french president will be Marine LePen? After all whats going on here in Europe it wouldn't surprise me. In many European countries right wing populism parties gain more and more power. If this is a trend that will go on and will get worse then dark times are ahead of us.

30 minutes ago, LaParisienne said:

Yes, he does look like a child.  No, he doesn't care.  His lack of maturity is astounding.  Something is seriously wrong with that guy.  He's the most insecure person I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, LaParisienne said:

He will be the president of exactly one American: himself.

I'm definitely old enough to remember Dubya's elections.  Aside from Rummy and Darth Vader himself (Cheney) I was upset about the election results but not filled with dread like I am now.  Even those two didn't really upset me as much until I saw their actions.  I keep trying to tell myself that this will be all right but Trump is so unhinged and fragile.  I fully anticipate at least one major diplomatic disaster in the coming 100 days.  I'm secretly hoping China taps his phones and hacks his emails/twitter and exposes something awful.  Not mention the Republican Congress are being Asses in general and frequently in specific too.  Trump's picks for almost every position are awful.  I'm dreading to see his Supreme Court pick.  

5 hours ago, JMarie said:

And how many Golden Globes does Trump have?  Meryl has eight, plus the Cecil B. DeMille award.  But go ahead, bash the most successful actress today (maybe ever).  It'll take the focus away from you not paying the contractors who worked on your post office hotel.

His twitter rants feel like a deliberate distraction from what he is really doing.  Appointing scary as crap people.  Putting his son-in-law in a powerful position. Circumventing the law.  Again, I wonder if it is okay to get ranty, ragey political on FJ.  Admins, if I'm out of line just slap me upside the head.  I'll stop and stick with Duggar musings . 

Jason Chaffetz vows to continue his reign of terror against dead horses:

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz said Monday he will continue to investigate Hillary Clinton's use of a primary email server while leading the State Department, but claimed he "won't be a cheerleader" for President-elect Donald Trump.

"Just because there was a political election doesn't mean it goes away," the Utah Republican said of the Clinton investigation.

He called the classified emails that surfaced on the server "the largest breach of security in the history of the State Department."

The FBI decided not to recommend charges against Clinton, though their months-long investigation -- and last-minute reopening of it -- cast a pall over her campaign.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/09/politics/jason-chaffetz-hillary-clinton-email-investigation/index.

For those keeping score at home, Chapped Ass  Chaffetz was the one who said he couldn't look his children in the eye and support Trump after the infamous tape came out. Then, when he figured out that most Republicans didnt care about the tape, he hopped back aboard the Trump train.

2 hours ago, JMO said:

I'm definitely old enough to remember Dubya's elections.  Aside from Rummy and Darth Vader himself (Cheney) I was upset about the election results but not filled with dread like I am now.  Even those two didn't really upset me as much until I saw their actions.  I keep trying to tell myself that this will be all right but Trump is so unhinged and fragile.  I fully anticipate at least one major diplomatic disaster in the coming 100 days.  I'm secretly hoping China taps his phones and hacks his emails/twitter and exposes something awful.  Not mention the Republican Congress are being Asses in general and frequently in specific too.  Trump's picks for almost every position are awful.  I'm dreading to see his Supreme Court pick.  

A guy I know keeps saying the Evil Cheese Puff will be impeached.  I don't see how with a Republican Congress. On one had it wold be delightful to see him go down in disgrace.  But then we have Pence.  

2 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

His twitter rants feel like a deliberate distraction from what he is really doing.  Appointing scary as crap people.  Putting his son-in-law in a powerful position. Circumventing the law.  Again, I wonder if it is okay to get ranty, ragey political on FJ.  Admins, if I'm out of line just slap me upside the head.  I'll stop and stick with Duggar musings . 

As long as you don't threaten anybody with physical harm or anything else that violates the TOS, rant away. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived